ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)

In this video clip, Jackie MacMullin and Brian Windhorst argue that the Clippers are much better than the Lakers because they feel their defense and depth is miles ahead of the Lakers.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27686555

The media bias against the Lakers bothers me. I'd argue we have more depth than the Clippers because we have more guys who can come into the game and contribute in at least one way.

They may have more perimeter defenders, but between Bradley, Green and maybe even Dudley our perimeter defense is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus, who on the Clippers is going to check AD, McGee and Howard and prevent them from getting easy baskets? No one in the lamestream media has ever even mentioned this the past couple months.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Both teams are 0 - 0; we shall see.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Jump ball at center court.
Let's go
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

This is really weird. Media doesn't see any weaknesses of Clippers. Its like they have peak Warriors roster. Never saw a team that protected this much by media.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Look at who’s saying this

Windhorst still angry LBJ shut him out

Jackie Celtic Fan Mcmullin
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Whatever. I’m rolling with AD and LeBron
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

They have all the casual fans brainwashed as well, everyone I know pretty much that are casual fans fully believe the Lakers have no chance and are too "old and injury prone"..

On the Clippers, you're two best guys are extreme question marks health wise so I do not see how anyone can use that against the Lakers? One guy is coming off two shoulder surgeries while the other one is going to miss at minimum 10-20 games without even stepping on the court yet.

Depth wise I don't see any kind of true advantage there either? For both teams it's a wait and see kind of thing.

Personally, I absolutely love it though! All this is going to do is fire up Lebron, Ad and the rest of the guys that much more. It really is odd though how everyone is propping the Clips up so easily.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject:

Believe me, after not being in the playoffs for 6 straight seasons to being looked at as the potentially 2nd best team in the NBA, is nothing to scoff at.

The Lakers do NOT need the pressure of being the number one favored team, they need to prove it, they need to earn it!

The media doubting the Lakers will just make them work harder!

With possibly only 1 returning starter from last season and a brand new coaching staff, with all new plays and defensive schemes, they also need to learn how to play together!

I understand every ones optimism, but it is a process that needs to play out.

There is no doubt that the Clippers return more players and a coach with a better track record, they have good defensive abilities and add two top 10 players to the mix, but in reality, there is just as much pressure on them to win it all.

Hate em or not the Clippers made some great moves and improved vastly! Just as the 80's Lakers needed great Celtics, 76r's Rockets, Bucks, Mavs and Piston teams to play against, next season's Lakers have the Clippers, Rockets and Warriors to gauge themselves against..

I got my red leather couch, my 65" OLED and home theater system and I'm ready...BRING IT ON...!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject:

Their bench is a lot better than ours.
Their perimeter defense is more talented and capable.

Inside game.
1-2 punch.
Shooting.
Rebounding.
Size.

Think Lakers have the advantage there.

Overall, Clippers may be the better team this year. They have continuity with many of their players and coaching staff. The Lakers could struggle to find their identity and develop chemistry. Realistically it may be year 2 that AD-Lebron develop that championship level execution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject:

Jackie MacMullin and Brian Windhorst are totally objective and have no agendas. Bring back Bill Simmons as well to see what he thinks.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:

Let's go position to position. LBJ vs Kawhi? Where's the advantage? seems pretty equal... Plus lebron just had his first semi major injury. Kawhi walks like my 85 year old father.

AD vs. Harrell? Harrell was a diamond in the rough, but let's not get carried away

Howard vs. Zubac? Hilarious! I think Balmer gave Zu a nice contract to troll the Lakers.

Beverly vs. Bradley? Probably Beverly takes this one. Even if Avery returns to form, he's not really a point guard. But let's not act like Patrick Beverly is the deciding factor for any team. And he hardly drops dimes like Magic either.

Danny vs. PG13. Obviously Paul takes this one, but I'd wager Danny is tougher mentally than George who historically finds a way to disappear when counted on most.

6th man... Lou vs. Kuz. I'm going with kuz. Not to mention kuz is over 8 years younger.

And yeah, the clippers probably have the stronger bench. Ours doesn't suck though. It certainly sucks for demarcus cousins... That's for sure.

Regardless, why is it that Kawhi and PG13 are clear favorites? Yeah, woulda, shoulda, coulda... But Kawhi doesn't get a ring if even klay Thompson was healthy last year, let alone KD. And if they are favorites, it will be because of circumstances going their way yet again. Namely, KD is out this year for Brooklyn and klay is most likely out most of the year too.

Regardless, I can't wait until the clips break ground on an arena. Just leave!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject:

All good. I prefer it when the media hype is on some other team and is proven wrong. Makes the victories even sweeter.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Jump ball at center court.
Let's go

This
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

I saw a video of Ad, LBJ and Dwight holy (bleep) we have some big athletic guys on that line up.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
I saw a video of Ad, LBJ and Dwight holy (bleep) we have some big athletic guys on that line up.

Did LJ start his minicamp yet?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

Guys, Clips have zero injury concerns.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the gap is 16
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

next:

The gap between Lakers May BI/Ball/Hart vs Pelicans August BI/Ball/Hart
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Let's go position to position. LBJ vs Kawhi? Where's the advantage? seems pretty equal... Plus lebron just had his first semi major injury. Kawhi walks like my 85 year old father.

AD vs. Harrell? Harrell was a diamond in the rough, but let's not get carried away

Howard vs. Zubac? Hilarious! I think Balmer gave Zu a nice contract to troll the Lakers.

Beverly vs. Bradley? Probably Beverly takes this one. Even if Avery returns to form, he's not really a point guard. But let's not act like Patrick Beverly is the deciding factor for any team. And he hardly drops dimes like Magic either.

Danny vs. PG13. Obviously Paul takes this one, but I'd wager Danny is tougher mentally than George who historically finds a way to disappear when counted on most.

6th man... Lou vs. Kuz. I'm going with kuz. Not to mention kuz is over 8 years younger.

And yeah, the clippers probably have the stronger bench. Ours doesn't suck though. It certainly sucks for demarcus cousins... That's for sure.

Regardless, why is it that Kawhi and PG13 are clear favorites? Yeah, woulda, shoulda, coulda... But Kawhi doesn't get a ring if even klay Thompson was healthy last year, let alone KD. And if they are favorites, it will be because of circumstances going their way yet again. Namely, KD is out this year for Brooklyn and klay is most likely out most of the year too.

Regardless, I can't wait until the clips break ground on an arena. Just leave!

All probably pretty sound bets save for Kuz vs Lou. Lou is the absolute better 6man and it’s not even a debate at this point.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The media bias against the Lakers bothers me. I'd argue we have more depth than the Clippers because we have more guys who can come into the game and contribute in at least one way.

Why do you think it’s bias on their part? Why isn’t it just what they think? Liking their defense and depth better than ours isn’t exactly a stretch. We’ll have plenty of opportunity to see which team is better.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

The constant negativity on this board is a real drag sometimes. Why not make a post about Zach Lowe's positive comments on the Lakers? He's a smarter basketball analyst than MacMullen* and Windhorst.

Let's get positive, LG.com!

* MacMullen's a heckuva writer and interviewer, though.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
All good. I prefer it when the media hype is on some other team and is proven wrong. Makes the victories even sweeter.

Yes, I remember when that used to happen. We were all a lot younger then.

Seriously, though, just in general people need to restrain themselves from reacting so much to the media. This is the genius of ESPN. They get everyone to react. The rest of the league is convinced that ESPN is a mouthpiece for the Lakers.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

I do think it's good the Lakers not get shoved out there as favorites the way they were the first time we picked up Howard. This team will need to find the right fit on the court for a few weeks, hopefully it's a productive preseason.

That said, I think the Clipper roster is good, but not title favorite good. They have a pair of superstars on their team who both play the same position. PG is going to have to slide to PF for this to work, and it's not a given that this arrangement is going to work. They do not have continuity on their side if Focal Point A and Focal Point B in their offense are both new to the team.

It feels like Ballmer's management team has done a pretty good job cozying up with the press and getting favorable coverage, but talk is cheap this time of year. Let the games begin.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

I like being an "underdog."

Let's see how the Clips play as the alleged consensus favorite.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438  Next
Page 1 of 438
Jump to: