ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 436, 437, 438  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

I admit I am biased towards the ex-Lakers but I prefer the Pels overall roster.

Much deeper and dynamic IMO. Favors likely the starting center and you are forgetting Teen pick Walker had a on impressive Summer League and Moore will be in the rotation. Better defensively then most young teams and definitely better then that Sac team.

Incredibly young though. Will be interesting to see how well they play as a team. Gentry has his work cut out for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Much deeper and dynamic IMO. Favors likely the starting center and you are forgetting Teen pick Walker had a on impressive Summer League and Moore will be in the rotation. Better defensively then most young teams and definitely better then that Sac team.

Incredibly young though. Will be interesting to see how well they play as a team. Gentry has his work cut out for him.

that team is a strange mix of players though.

if they go Lonzo/Jrue/BI/Zion/Favors, that's even worse shooting (somehow) than our team last year.

If you start JJ, who is sitting? Lonzo? BI?

I think BI may end up on a team like the up and coming Hawks (tons of cap space) as a RFA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

if they go Lonzo/Jrue/BI/Zion/Favors, that's even worse shooting (somehow) than our team last year.

I think BI may end up on a team like the up and coming Hawks (tons of cap space) as a RFA.

Don’t disagree about the roster. I envision a defensive minded team that creates turnovers/ rebounds well and gets out in transition. That starting five would cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams on defense. Likely will struggle in the half court but they have the potential to have good ball movement, rebounding and finishers around the basket.

Will blow out some good teams at times but will lose games due to their inconsistency and youthful mistakes. But I like the depth of the team and possibilities. I will be be setting the recorder. Expect them to be entertaining if nothing else. Also curious to see how Zion enters the league and the ex- lakers develop.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Don’t disagree about the roster. I envision a defensive minded team that creates turnovers/ rebounds well and gets out in transition. Likely will struggle in the half court but they have the potential to have good ball movement, rebounding and finishers around the basket.

Will blow out some good teams at times but will lose games due to their inconsistency and youthful mistakes. But I like the depth of the team and possibilities. I will be be setting the recorder. Expect them to be entertaining if nothing else. Also curious to see how Zion enters the league and the ex- lakers develop.

Just as it was a disservice for Zo/BI (and last year LBJ) to be surrounded by so many non-shooters, I feel Zion may also be negatively affected by the lack of spacing. This won't be the final iteration of the Pels. They've accumulated assets and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them traded this year. It's a clunky fit of players at this point.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Clippers are irrelevant. Even today when folks talk about them, it's in reference to the Lakers.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

As opposed to Ivica Zubac?

Zoobots and that other midget are legit championship pieces

Signed - VenturaLakersHater
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

Clippers will be good, but I don't find them to be intimidating. They don't have enough to strike fear into your heart. Their depth is a myth. The Lakers are deeper and have a lot more versatility to work with. And when that is demonstrated, all of the pundits will act like it was always obvious and that they all saw it coming.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

I do expect the team to thin out the 8 guards we currently have.

I think we will be a robust buyout destination to add a few quality vets.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

That means Davis and James have to be out minimal games.

I think the Clips have a bigger issue with the potential missed games with George and Leonard then the Lakers hopefully have. Yet no one seems to be discussing it and making them the favorites? Leonard's quad issues are not going away.

I think they will be in the 3-4 slot too. I can actually see the Clips going down the 5-6 slot b/c KL will actually need more load managing than LBJ IMO. Like 20+ games, and PG is starting off the year coming off 2 shoulder surgeries.

But this will be about the playoffs.

And in a 7 game series, I would absolutely not count out a team with LBJ/AD.

Similar to the number of games AD missed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

I think the Clips have a bigger issue with the potential missed games with George and Leonard then the Lakers hopefully have. Yet no one seems to be discussing it and making them the favorites? Leonard's quad issues are not going away.

I think they will be in the 3-4 slot too. I can actually see the Clips going down the 5-6 slot b/c KL will actually need more load managing than LBJ IMO. Like 20+ games, and PG is starting off the year coming off 2 shoulder surgeries.

But this will be about the playoffs.

And in a 7 game series, I would absolutely not count out a team with LBJ/AD.

Similar to the number of games AD missed.

Are you talking about last year when the Pels wanted to preserve their prized asset and agreed to let him sit out?

Otherwise he played 75 and 75 games the seasons before.

But of course you knew that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers should worry about the top dogs like Jazz/Rockets/Nuggets because those teams can beat them I can guarantee you that.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Clippers should worry about the top dogs like Jazz/Rockets/Nuggets because those teams can beat them I can guarantee you that.

We know ingles owns PG now they added Conley to donovan and gobert jazz will be good next year
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If the Lakers are as good as we think they'll be and they avoid major injuries, they should absolutely go for the top seed. You want to have home court advantage as much as possible, especially for the WCF and the NBA finals. Home court advantage does matter, plus by winning more games we can develop and ingrain the right winning habits in March and early April and be ready for the playoffs.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Click bait.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If the Lakers are as good as we think they'll be and they avoid major injuries, they should absolutely go for the top seed. You want to have home court advantage as much as possible, especially for the WCF and the NBA finals. Home court advantage does matter, plus by winning more games we can develop and ingrain the right winning habits in March and early April and be ready for the playoffs.

Not arguing with your lofty goal of wanting top seed. Just don’t think the Lakers will be consistent enough all season long to earn it. Especially if players are taking games off to rest.

Injuries will be a wild card for all the teams not just the Lakers. Top teams will be just as screwed if Gobert, Harden or Jokic all we’re out 20+ games as the LA teams will be if any of the four marquee players miss that much.

Lakers have a lot of work to do to find the right rotations and roles. Communication and efficiency just don’t happen, it takes reps and trust in critical moments. And the Lakers will likely be working on changes all season. Especially if injuries occur or the often speculated mid season trade changes roles all over again.

Getting to the playoffs will be one victory. Making a four series run against western conference competition is going to take a whole next level of chemistry.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Click bait.

ESPN: Lakers Fans at 'Full Mast' to Begin the Season
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Clippers are irrelevant. Even today when folks talk about them, it's in reference to the Lakers.

I wonder if this gap is like 2005-2006 where the media and fans crowned them the "best team in LA" and they wound up winning nothing and weren't even that much better than the ragtag team we had in terms of wins. Both teams went to 7 w/ PHX in 06.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
defense wrote:

I wonder if this gap is like 2005-2006 where the media and fans crowned them the "best team in LA" and they wound up winning nothing and weren't even that much better than the ragtag team we had in terms of wins. Both teams went to 7 w/ PHX in 06.

You got a vid of the Clippers epic choke job in G5 against PHX?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Someone should post pictures of the Lakers championship banners and then the Clippers covering up the Lakers banners side by side with the caption: "There's your gap!"
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Someone should post pictures of the Lakers championship banners and then the Clippers covering up the Lakers banners side by side with the caption: "There's your gap!"

This is good
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I like the direction you're headed in
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

all we gotta worry about is paul george and lou. you take care of those two, were fine.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not arguing with your lofty goal of wanting top seed. Just don’t think the Lakers will be consistent enough all season long to earn it. Especially if players are taking games off to rest.

Injuries will be a wild card for all the teams not just the Lakers. Top teams will be just as screwed if Gobert, Harden or Jokic all we’re out 20+ games as the LA teams will be if any of the four marquee players miss that much.

Lakers have a lot of work to do to find the right rotations and roles. Communication and efficiency just don’t happen, it takes reps and trust in critical moments. And the Lakers will likely be working on changes all season. Especially if injuries occur or the often speculated mid season trade changes roles all over again.

Getting to the playoffs will be one victory. Making a four series run against western conference competition is going to take a whole next level of chemistry.

Lakers definitely have to work to develop chemistry, but so will the Clippers. The Clippers are adding two superstars whose offensive games overlap quite a bit, let's not forget that.

While the Lakers are building chemistry in Oct, Nov and Dec, their talent could help them get off to a strong start. Imo our defense will be better than our offense, especially our halfcourt offense, early in the season, and that can also help us win a lot of games early, especially with our favorable schedule.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We know ingles owns PG now they added Conley to donovan and gobert jazz will be good next year

The Jazz will be good next season
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As Vogel said, lots of new players trying to integrate into a system. If healthy, the final 20 games should be better than the first 20.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You're constantly going on and on about "players taking games off." For one, the only time we saw any measure of "load management" from LeBron last season was when he came back from the hamstring injury and wasn't 100%. Any talk of "load management" for this coming season has been imposed and assumed by people outside of the team itself, primarily fans. It's been thrown around and assumed way too much.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to LeBron taking a game off every once in awhile if the team is in position to afford it. But alas, your extremism emerges once again and you assume that LeBron and AD will practically miss half the season or something. It's not that serious.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 436, 437, 438  Next
Page 3 of 438
Jump to: