Good FA Target: Quinton Ross?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Good FA Target: Quinton Ross?

What do people think. Would Quinton Ross be a good free agent target this offseason?

If Farmar is penciled in as the starter and Smush likely to get better offers that the Lakers are willing to match could Quinton come in as the backup point guard (it's really a two guard offense with Odom/Walton/Bryant as the initiators)? He plays very good defense, is oversized at 6-6 and has an improving offensive game. Since the Clippers have broken the bank and stunk up the joint I doubt Sterling will be willing to pay another player to miss the playoffs. Their payroll is already projected to be a little under $60 million with long term deals for Thomas, Kaman, Mobley and if they're smart Brand.

Thoughts?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Like his game. Not fast enough to defend 1/2 the pgs in the league. Not enough range to keep guards honest in the tri.

He'd be a nice backup 2/3 but that is the least needed spot on our team.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Good FA Target: Quinton Ross?

Laker's Fan wrote:
If Farmar is penciled in as the starter and Smush likely to get better offers that the Lakers are willing to match

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hang on a second there. Who said that Smush was gonna be lured away by big money from some other franchise? I think the odds of that happening are real slim. I don't think Smush is gonna be one of the major FA targets for teams this summer, just like I don't think Mihm is gonna be. I think you're gonna see Smush get a 3-4 year deal from the Lakers for around $2 mil a season and he'll stay right where he's at, probably moving to backup Farmar. Ross is a decent player, but I don't want to see the Lakers make any FA acquisitions this summer unless they are guys who are going to be definite starters. The Lakers have enough depth and role players, just adding more of that isn't really necessary. Ross doesn't give you much more than Mo Evans does, so why add him?

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:

well foyle got a fat ass contract for doing nothing why cant smush get one? i think some teams will offer him more money but i sitll doubt he will leave or at least i hope so.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
well foyle got a fat ass contract for doing nothing why cant smush get one? i think some teams will offer him more money but i sitll doubt he will leave or at least i hope so.

Foyle's a big man, so it's not a great comparison. Big men are in shorter supply these days and you can't teach height. The Warriors did offer Fisher a ridiculous contract to pry him away from the Lakers though, so I guess all it takes is one stupid GM. I would say if someone overpays Smush to get him out of here then the Lakers should shop Kwame around for a PG who can start over Farmar (possibly Billups?). The Lakers have enough bench/role players so if they're going to replace one it would be preferable to replace him with an upgrade, not a lateral move.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:

What sort of mentality is that?

Smush is going nowhere!

Call me out, quote me, mock me, whatever. I have a strong vibe on this one!

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Good FA Target: Quinton Ross?

Laker's Fan wrote:
What do people think. Would Quinton Ross be a good free agent target this offseason?

If Farmar is penciled in as the starter and Smush likely to get better offers that the Lakers are willing to match could Quinton come in as the backup point guard (it's really a two guard offense with Odom/Walton/Bryant as the initiators)? He plays very good defense, is oversized at 6-6 and has an improving offensive game. Since the Clippers have broken the bank and stunk up the joint I doubt Sterling will be willing to pay another player to miss the playoffs. Their payroll is already projected to be a little under $60 million with long term deals for Thomas, Kaman, Mobley and if they're smart Brand.

Thoughts?

Always liked him. Almost perfect role player that plays excellent 'on the ball' defense, with no dirty Bowen like tricks...
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Like his game. Not fast enough to defend 1/2 the pgs in the league. Not enough range to keep guards honest in the tri.

He'd be a nice backup 2/3 but that is the least needed spot on our team.

i watched him do a great job stopping tony parker's easy penetration when they beat the spurs last year. he also guards nash probably as good as anyone can.

also, his 20 ft shot is money. he's not slow by any means. he often beats his man on drives to the basket with a quick first step (and dunks), but i dont think he has quite as many moves as mo evans. to be sure, he's a GREAT defensive upgrade but not someone who shoots 3 pt shots. the only way to take him on would be to clear the logjam at guard. he's not a pg and never has been asked to play that on the clippers. they use cassell, livingston, and ewing for that.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:

"good defenders" today are just fools gold. You see guys who have reputation of being great defensive players ala AK47, Kobe, Bowen, Artest get lit up almost all the time now. The new rules just doesn't allow defense to be played. Ross is just gonna be another useless player who would be labeled as an NBDL reject after 2 weeks if he was on our team. Spend the money on some good consistent good talent.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
"good defenders" today are just fools gold. You see guys who have reputation of being great defensive players ala AK47, Kobe, Bowen, Artest get lit up almost all the time now. The new rules just doesn't allow defense to be played. Ross is just gonna be another useless player who would be labeled as an NBDL reject after 2 weeks if he was on our team. Spend the money on some good consistent good talent.

show me 5 good defenders and i'll show you a team that rotates quickly to the ball and allows a low shooting % defensively. i dont agree at all that good defenders are worthless. by that logic, you think that a team full of chucky atkins' would be no worse than a good defensive squad? i dont care what rules you use. a team with good defenders will fare better defensively than a team with bad defenders. thats where the term "team" defense comes in. if you cant stay in front of your man, someone else will help. and someone else will help them. and someone else will rotate to them. etc. bad defenders dont do that effectively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: