Kenyon Martin accuses Jeremy Lin of cultural appropriation™; Lin shuts it down
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Cultural appropriation is real

This was not a case of it

Keyon Martin needs to take a seat

Jeremy's hair is ridiculous right now (but I love it )
Magic Ball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Total destruction by Mr. Lin. The lack of self-awareness from these professional victims is mind boggling.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

UC Santa Cruz, 80s. Lots of dreadlocks by lots of people. No one cared.

Why, 30 years later, think it’s a bad thing is beyond me.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

When I need lessons on how to be a complete and utter ASS i'll go to K-Mart for advice.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I think J.Lin went above and beyond before donning the dreads, consulting multiple black teammates and blacks non teammate colleague. KMart was wrong and got annihilated at J.Lin response for it but some people still see it differently, pretty disappointed at Huffington Post for this:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59dce0d9e4b0208970d00545
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I think J.Lin went above and beyond before donning the dreads, consulting multiple black teammates and blacks non teammate colleague. KMart was wrong and got annihilated at J.Lin response for it but some people still see it differently, pretty disappointed at Huffington Post for this:

I personally find the fact that he took those steps to be a little silly.....dude can wear his hair any way he chooses in my opinion. There is no doubt where dreads came from and what race most commonly wears them.....but as of 2017, tons of non-blacks in America and across the globe have styled their hair in some form of dreads. I see it as more admiration than disrespect.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

Kenyon just got dunked on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
As an Viet bro that happened to find himself to stumble upon owning/operating a restaurant...the words "cultural appropriation" is gd comical.

I think chicks that dress in our tradtitional dresses are dope. I think people that are in love with our cuisine are awesome. I think people that want to learn more should be informed more. Go with it. You want to learn cook a Vietnamese dish? I'm here for y'all. I'm proud of my culture. If you like it and if you enjoy ....(bleep), I'm here for you. I love it. There's an entire cottage industry with conventions. etc for Japanese culture. Go on you!

I would seriously slap the gd jaw off EVERY, SINGLE, ONE of these cultural approiration maggots. Trash. There's this bile that comes out of my mouth when I read that sort of junk.

Enough is enough. Pieces of (bleep) are taking over our narrative. Ridiculous. Stop. We have enough problems.

Coming from this whole young culture I see both sides of it. Just because all of the cultural black/hiphop appropriation that I see is suuuper corny. Every white kid now has a suburban Eminem flair.
I see a lot of cultural appropriation as being wack, because, the original culture is just best at it. As a black person we see this appropriation everywhere, every second - sometimes (unfortunately?) we get petty and want to be like "just a reminder, that was our thing". If K.Martin doesn't call that out, is anyone thinking "Jeremy Lin is adopting black culture by wearing this hairstyle", no, the appropriation is so common that we are no longer getting our credit. Martin unfortunately was rude and degrading about it. So I don't condone the way he went about getting our credit.

I'm not a habitual "cultural appropriation caller", but a lot of times I'm like -- why is this kid thriving off our influence when he's doing a bad/corny impression.

And for what it's worth, there are a (bleep) TON of non-AsianS that are into the gaming/anime scene. As a person with tentacles decades deep in the industry, that sort of love is embraced. Why should it not be?

I respect you bro so your response means something. What do you think of Wu-Tangs embrace of thh Chinese cultere? I thought it was dope asf.
the WU, specifically RZA the creator of the WU, always gave major props to chinese culture when speaking about what the WU was. This is the difference. there's nothing wrong with growing up loving other cultures/styles, etc. When you go out there to the world and present yourself with that other culture are you giving the originators their due? a lot of times the answer is NO. And you have to make darn sure you do this if you're white. Because the way society is setup, the other White fans watching you (especially really young ones) will assume whites have always done this. When thats far from the truth. Give props where its due. Give the originators their credit. Tell the world you borrowed all or some of your style from person A , B, or C, or Culture/Race A B or C. If you can't do that. then we already know what you're doing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
HipHop/Black culture is ev.ery.thing in this generation and sometimes we get very petty for our credit.
Thats because we've seen what happens with past genres. It gets taken up by some other group, ran with, and the blacks that created it are forgotten. now it would be one thing if those blacks were forgotten because the other group(s) did it better. but thats not the case either. They were just forgotten because thats how it goes in this society we live in.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

Asians have been wearing dreads for centuries as have many other cultures way before the Rastafarians. They aren't exclusive to any culture or race.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

huffpo is a sjw rag
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

We are a nation of diversity, a melting pot. Love it or hate it but diversity is our nations best asset. One must be open-minded because no other country in the world is as unique as the USA.
Our cultures meld, mingle, mold and form into so many great things that continue to make this place and the world better.
I leap at the opportunity to learn about other cultures, the food, traditions,new friends, etc.
IMO, exposure to new and exciting things makes a well-rounded person.

We are not perfect and there are haters everywhere but that's okay too.

Do your thing J-Lin, do whatever makes you happy as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. In this case no harm, no foul.
I love it, God bless America.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Another thing is, I don't like Jermz and I was glad to see him go after that stupid selfie pic, but the kid (at least educationally) is not exactly an ignoramus. He went to Harvard and did well in that milieu. This has a different feeling from Kylie Jenner. He's most assuredly a fairly smart kid who is well aware of "C.A." issues and the people known for wearing dreads and what they rep. It's not like he's some dipsh potsmoking surfer archetype from Point Break who dons dreads because Bob Marley is dank, brah. He was cautious enough about it to seek the opinion of others in the specific culture. Everyone's an individual. A seemingly fundamental fact that is often lost upon the loudest and most self-assured arbiters of the "rules" and "norms" of their culture. You got people taking offense and others (the people he asked) having no qualms. Way too often we (and social wariers indeed) act like everyone in a culture is lockstep with each other. Individuals from every group make it much more diverse than even those inside may even believe based on stereotypes that they themSELVES bit on.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
As an Viet bro that happened to find himself to stumble upon owning/operating a restaurant...the words "cultural appropriation" is gd comical.

I think chicks that dress in our tradtitional dresses are dope. I think people that are in love with our cuisine are awesome. I think people that want to learn more should be informed more. Go with it. You want to learn cook a Vietnamese dish? I'm here for y'all. I'm proud of my culture. If you like it and if you enjoy ....(bleep), I'm here for you. I love it. There's an entire cottage industry with conventions. etc for Japanese culture. Go on you!

I would seriously slap the gd jaw off EVERY, SINGLE, ONE of these cultural approiration maggots. Trash. There's this bile that comes out of my mouth when I read that sort of junk that I can not stop.

Enough is enough. Pieces of (bleep) are taking over our country's narrative. Ridiculous. Stop. We have enough problems.

Right on!! And I love Vietnamese food. Give me some hot and sour shrimp soup with some crab, shrimp and pork Imperial Rolls!!! Yum!!!

All this cultural appropriation (bleep) is pure BS. We live in world that is becoming more and more homogeneous as the web shrinks the boundaries. There is NO going back, everybody is aware of everyone else now. We can ALL look at other cultures and see what they got right and what they got wrong, and take the good and dump the bad. If that means cultural appropriation to some people, they can just jump off the train and watch it fly by. Personally, I am getting on the train and riding it to oblivion.

And while I do, I will be cooking me some killer Imperial Rolls, some great Chinese Dumplings, some delicious Oaxacan Mole's all while drinking great wine from California, Washington, Italy and France!!
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

im late to this, but damn that even embarrassed me.

good for Lin!
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
What am I missing in this whole cultural appropriation thing? It is a melting pot....a little bit of you goes in, and you take a little out. I thought in a way, cultural appropriation was kind of the goal in America?

I thought the funny part was that KMart has Chinese characters on his arms.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:

huffpo is a sjw rag

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/non-black-minorities-appropriation_l_5d974be7e4b0f5bf797372ba
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: