First Game, Not The End Of The World
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: First Game, Not The End Of The World

Yeah it sucks we lost, but there were a lot of positives from this game.
I think what everyone is forgetting we literally got 9 new players its pretty obvious the chemistry isn't there yet.
As opposed to the Clippers who litterally had the same team for quite a while now and only added 3 new players so they gel pretty well already.

I feel once we get our rotations down, and our chemistry built this team is going to be force to be reckoned with
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: First Game, Not The End Of The World

PostMalone24 wrote:
I think what everyone is forgetting we literally got 9 new players its pretty obvious the chemistry isn't there yet.
As opposed to the Clippers who litterally had the same team for quite a while now and only added 3 new players so they gel pretty well already.

I feel once we get our rotations down, and our chemistry built this team is going to be force to be reckoned with

It depends what your standards are. If you visualize a playoff team, I can see that... if you visualize a championship team, it seems hard to imagine unless LBJ was just nervous. He doesn't seem physically capable of dominating a game anymore... He'll still be all star caliber, but not on his own plane as he was for years. AD doesn't seem like he can do a Kobe and put a team on his back either, even though he's a great player.

I think the key will be for the team to maintain chemistry and a positive outlook so that AD will sign. That should be the main goal as we can still rebuild around him when LBJ retires. If the team squabbles and starts finger pointing it could all end very badly. I'm hoping for a good playoff run, maybe incorporate Boogie in at the end of the season, hope Kuz and some of the other young players have a breakthrough and maybe more is possible. But the team seemed top heavy, and I'm not sure the rest can compete if defenses focus solely on LBJ and AD.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: First Game, Not The End Of The World

PostMalone24 wrote:

Could very well be true. Let’s hope so
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject:

This team build for playoffs. I don't think we will have problem defending Lou at playoffs. Even Harden can't get those calls at playoffs, noway Lou will get those calls so i can see Bradley and KCP can handle him well then.

If we can get Iggy then we can contain Kawhi and PG with him, Lebron, Green and Dudley. Iggy will also help as 2nd playmaker.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject:

I am not worried at all. With Kuzma back and Rondo doing PG things for 2nd unit we will be just fine. Its one game of 82. I mean come on.
If we can finish first 20 games with the record of 14-6 which is in my opinion pessimistic we will be in great position. Maybe even 15-5 if we catch a win in SAS or vs TOR at home. I was counting this as a losses. So just support the team for gods sake. You will regret it later. I know I will.
LakersLV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject:

I am worried. The Clippers have the better roster. I lied to myself over the summer by saying they don't.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

Wrong. The eyes don't lie. The way we approach the game is outdated.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject:

I do think it exposed some holes that we should be concerned about, from a lack of good wings to some really questionable coaching decisions. These things could improve or we might be further away than we think. It was really striking how slow we played and how awful we were in the half court. So, yes, it's one game, but it raises a lot of questions about what our ceiling really is this year.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject:

That's what losers say. "only the first game" "we tried our best"
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

Just one game. Against a really good deep and hardworking team.

But unfortunately it revealed too many weaknesses for my liking. The team looked slow. They looked inconsistent on the boards and defensive effort. Too reliant on their stars to be exceptional instead of a team effort.

Who is the energizer? The “dog” on the boards? The defensive stopper?

They are an old team playing like one. Capable of spurts but not extended efforts and runs over a complete game. Prone to be outworked or settling for tough shots and lazy passes.

They looked to be the team I expected. They will dominate some nights. They will look slow as hell on others. I still expect them to win 50+ games and a round or two in the playoffs. I saw nothing different to change my mind.

On to Friday and hopefully a better result against Utah. 0-2 doesn’t sound good at all!
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:

not end of the world at all but things that bothered me are 1. LeBron- get in tune with Laker fans, this game to you isnt a rivalry and just the opening game, but to us it meant something, feel that and show that. Also, you where rusty ? Come on man if even the case its an excuse I dont want to hear that yo uare the best player in the world I dont want to hear excuses

2. Vogel- the 1 guy dribble while 4 guys watch offense is way too predictable and easy to defend, you have to do better. Also, KCP on Kawhi for extended minutes come on man, we all see he is too small and cant handle him. Few can but at least put a bigger body on him like Dudley. I feel I could have coached better than you last night

3. Get well soon Kuzma the second team is lost without a scorer he is need and Kuzma with his length could have at least made Kawhi think offensively rather than KCP

Overall I know its just 1 game and this is a veteran team so their are no excuses anymore like we gave previous years to moral victories and growth because we where young. Hell the Pelicans game showed what we are we played hard in alot games fought to the end but couldnt close. This is supposed to be and should be different

GO LAKERS !!
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

OP is right. Not the end of the world. What would have made it a disaster is if one of our key players sustained a major injury. We've got a long road to figure out how to maximize the talent on this team, which is considerable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

It's not the end of the world. Our shooters had some open looks they missed.

But I'm sort of glad the Clips exposed ALL of our weaknesses in one night. A decent FO should see the writing on the wall (i.e. we need wing defenders and creators) and start strategizing on how to remedy these issues.

What bothered me the most was Vogel's non-adjustments through the game. Doc had a plan and he altered the game strategy throughout. I thought his Kawhi substitutions were brilliant, so that he'd be in when Green was out.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

But I'm sort of glad the Clips exposed ALL of our weaknesses in one night. A decent FO should see the writing on the wall (i.e. we need wing defenders and creators) and start strategizing on how to remedy these issues.

What bothered me the most was Vogel's non-adjustments through the game. Doc had a plan and he altered the game strategy throughout. I thought his Kawhi substitutions were brilliant, so that he'd be in when Green was out.

I just dont understand how Luke i mean Vogel couldnt see that KCP was getting torched in the 1st half and didnt leave him in the locker room at halftime
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I just dont understand how Luke i mean Vogel couldnt see that KCP was getting torched in the 1st half and didnt leave him in the locker room at halftime

He looked rigid with his rotations. You have to take out KCP when you see that possession after possession. Put in Dudley for all I care who can at least put a strong body on him.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vogel looked lost in general, there was no flow on the offense and he was doing that planned rotation thing I dont remember watching his teams before but if he is that bad of an in game coach and not going by the feel of whats out there we are going to be in for a very disapointing season

He looked rigid with his rotations. You have to take out KCP when you see that possession after possession. Put in Dudley for all I care who can at least put a strong body on him.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

Not the end of the world but still cause for concern. Weaknesses were glaring. Stars had what, 6 pts in the second half combined or something?

Clippers have some new players as well and were without their second best player.

We are sorely lacking in guard play. Lebron is the PG but he doesnt play like a PG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

Kuz I think would have made a big difference.

Problem, so too would PG13.

We need to fix a lot of things and I think having a wake up call in Game 1 is actually a good thing. Lots of roster flaws that many of us have been pointing out (lack of wing defenders and playmakers).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

Yep. One game.
Not too worried yet
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

Totally bummed though. Watching a guy that could of signed with us destroying our team.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

We need to win half the games against the good teams (which the Clippers are) and almost all of the games against the bad teams.

It is only one loss, but the reality is we are going to need to avoid any prolonged losing streaks this season and no more gaffes to bad teams.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

Why not let Danny Green play the whole 2nd half, dude was fiyah... but no, had to be 27 minutes of Casey Donut P

Paperclips is in midseason form, all good, they mostly same teammates from last year, we new, no biggie

What happened to our centers tho, got outworked and outmuscled inside, can't happen, ever again

Need that instabucket 6th man ala Lou, Kuz better be ready to fill that role unless Daniels/Cook step up

Do we need a bigger wing defender? we might
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Why not let Danny Green play the whole 2nd half, dude was fiyah... but no, had to be 27 minutes of Casey Donut P

Paperclips is in midseason form, all good, they mostly same teammates from last year, we new, no biggie

What happened to our centers tho, got outworked and outmuscled inside, can't happen, ever again

Need that instabucket 6th man ala Lou, Kuz better be ready to fill that role unless Daniels/Cook step up

Do we need a bigger wing defender? we might

Was thinking the same about Green. I thought he left him out to long this game.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
The way we approach the game is outdated.

This is something that has been a concern for a few years.

The let’s play twin towers and smash mouth basketball is really neutralized in 2019.

Posting up, ISO is outdated. Just the way it is.

They even tried Triangle offense plays with AD and at times Lebron and the Clippers sniffed it out and created turnovers.

We really need to get with the modern times but just like off the court we are clinging to the 80s and first decade of 2000s when we don’t have a Shaq or in his prime Kobe.

The Lakers are going to be a decent team and will win their share of games, but it’s going to be a struggle continuing to play with outdated strategy.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

Of course it's too early and every season is filled with overreaction during the first 4-8 weeks of the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: