Those Who Honestly Arent Excited to Watch Lakers This Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Judah wrote:
I genuinely feel bad for anyone who isn't excited. The Lakers are going to wreck the league this year and contend for a championship, and there are "fans" who have already decided they aren't going to enjoy it. That's....sad.

Excitement isn't a decision, it's an emotion. Imagine a beautiful, curvacious woman walks past you and then suddenly you can't seem to take your eyes off her. You didn't decide to be excited, it just happened. What moves one man doesn't always motivate another. The same thing with this team. I didn't "decide" to be excited or not. I either am or I'm not, based on what I enjoy watching, seeing, and anticipating. It's not up to someone to tell me or anyone else what to be excited about.

I didn't tell anyone to feel excited. I said that I genuinely feel bad for anyone who isn't. And I don't agree with you that excitement is purely an emotion (your illustration was pretty awful btw). I wanted the Lakers to draft Okafor back in 2015. I was pretty upset when they chose Russell instead. But you know what? I decided to get the heck over it and embrace Russell as a Laker. Took a few weeks, but I did it. I thought about the positives of having him grew to be genuinely excited (yes, genuinely 😊).

I wanted Pauletta George to come to the Lakers when free agency hit last year. And I was genuinely shocked (yes, genuinely) when he chose to stay in OKC instead. But then LeBron came and I was way more excited about the prospect of watching him and the kids play together.

I was big believer in Luke as a coach (and still am) and was disappointed when he and the Lakers parted ways. Then I was doubly disappointed when they hired Frank freaking Vogel instead of Ty Lue. But you know what? I got over it and embraced Vogel. Eventually I found reasons to believe that he could be the right guy for the job. And now I'm fully on the Vogel train.

And last but not least, as excited as I was/am about AD coming here, you don't think I was also extremely down about losing the kids? Of course I was. And I was extremely livid over how they treated Randle. But I also recognize that those sacrifices have already been made and there's no going back. It's over with. On the positive side, we have a true superstar in AD and our next star to build around once LeBron retires (or returns to CLE for his last year). The young core may be a thing of the past, but again, on a positive note, this team is stocked with quality veterans and they have a real chance of winning the championship. I'm not so stuck on HOW we got to the top of the mountain again that I'm unable to appreciate the fact that we're back on top of it. So yes, I think it's very much a choice for the most part.

Winning is what matters the most to me. And if that's what matters the most to you, I don't understand how you could be anything but excited. Sounds like you grew more attached to the kids than actually winning.

Was agreeing with your statement and sentiment right up until the final comment.

Don't agree that being less enthusiastic about the team and season prospects the others around here somehow eliminates any excitement for winning. Just less then the biggest cheerleaders.

I have been critical of the overall plan for awhile. Haven't been thrilled with too many moves as the path was taken at full speed by FO. And I am not as optimistic as some about the end results.

But I'm interested in the season. To see if they can pull it all together as a team and win. I'm in for the ride, just not as passionately enthusiastic as some. Doesn't make myself or any others less a fan.

I'm waiting for James and the Lakers to "Be about it".

Two things:

First, I wasn't making lakersboy representative of every person in the 'I'm not excited' club. I said that based on his posts, not only in this thread but in other threads as well over the last few years. He believed in the kids about as much as anyone and had settled in on the fantasy of watching them be lifelong Lakers. So did MJST. That's why he barely shows his face anymore. I openly admit that I don't like MJST, but I really do feel bad for him and anyone else (except Darth) who is unhappy about where the team is now and can't get over it. But perhaps that will change for then once some more time passes and the Lakers are at the top of the standings.

Secondly, I didn't say that lakersboy (again, was only speaking to him) has no excitement for winning. I said that winning seems to have eventually taken a backseat to his love for the kids. Forget about how we win the chips. Let's just do whatever the heck it takes to get them. Would you rather see a GW dunk or a GW three? Who cares? Just get a GW.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Fair enough Judah. Apparently I butted into you comment to a specific poster.

But all too often I am seeing the overuse of the “you are not a true fan if you don’t unequivocally believe _________” type comments regarding James, the plan or this season.

I’m excited for every season. Whatever the roster, issues or expectations. I think most are or they wouldn’t be on the forum. It is fine to be at different levels of enthusiasm.

And to be fair, this current plan/ roster has its share of divisive issues to love or hate.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Things I'm looking forward to next season (in no order):

The Lakers being back in the playoffs
Playoffs Lebron James
Lebron to AD PnR
AD in transition
Point-AD
Occasionally Point-Boogie
Danny Green doing Danny Green things on defense
The Lakers top-5 defense when AD, Green, and Caruso are on the court together
Kuzma when his shot falls
The occasional JaVale McGee hook shot
JaVale leading bench celebrations
Jared Dudley and Cousins annoying the hell out of opponents
Post-game interviews and all the podcasts Dudley and Green will be on
GT and Darius being giddy all the time on the LFR podcast
Actual perimeter shooting

Things I'm not looking forward to next season:

Most Lebron isos
Kuzma when his shot doesn't fall
Rondo
Having Rondo inexplicably get minutes over Caruso to start the season
Having dumdum fans and talking heads who still think it's 2010 praise Rondo while he's the worst rotation player on the team
Jason Kidd
Cousins' many, many technicals
Quinn Cook's defense
Watching the Lakers try to defend Kawhi and PG13
KCP in transition
Carmelo Anthony

I like Rondo and my mama say I'm no dumdum and mama didn't raise no foo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OlNZL-TPbY

Pardon. Basketball dumdums. Some of the smartest people I've met are basketball dumdums.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

I like Mcgee hook shots too. His touch is severely underrated imo. most bigs can't make the flip shots he makes. My point of reference for that is always WCS, he struggles with layups let alone 5 footers
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

I'm still die hard fan. Fan and excitement are different to me. I'm not rooting for failure. I like Bron actually. My 5 fav in the league are Bron, Giannis, Steph, Zion, Zo

For example. My friend is a die hard warriors fan from back since the 90s. He would argue the Baron Davis warriors were exciting. The 73 win season was exciting. But when they added Durant, he watched less games, despite them being nearly unstoppable and winning.

The name on the Jersey matters, but for argument sakes if Lakers swapped jerseys with let's say the Houston Rockets, would you feel emotionally the same just because the jersey says Lakers??

The roster turnover is wayy too much.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
I'm still die hard fan. Fan and excitement are different to me. I'm not rooting for failure. I like Bron actually. My 5 fav in the league are Bron, Giannis, Steph, Zion, Zo

For example. My friend is a die hard warriors fan from back since the 90s. He would argue the Baron Davis warriors were exciting. The 73 win season was exciting. But when they added Durant, he watched less games, despite them being nearly unstoppable and winning.

The name on the Jersey matters, but for argument sakes if Lakers swapped jerseys with let's say the Houston Rockets, would you feel emotionally the same just because the jersey says Lakers??

The roster turnover is wayy too much.

that's how I would have been if we got Kawhi.. cheap forgone conclusion rings aren't fun to me
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Actually with the parts they have it should be fun and AD is a very strong piece to build around but I do get if AD isn’t the super star you like to watch. Before all this happened he wasn’t my favorite either but I do think LBJ and AD is a perfect pairing. I always liked Lillard and Bradley but I love AD age and he is terrific Defender but totally get it. I think he will grow on most and hopefully help get a free agent in the near future. I personally wish they at least kept 1 of Dlo, Randle, Ball, Hart, zu, or Lopez to help with depth and roster construction but they put together a decent squad. Hopefully top 6 and gel in the playoffs.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Wuuuuttttt??!!??

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3BPTxmgx31/?igshid=q9wznge2s46s

💪🏀🔥💪🏀🔥💪🏀🔥💪🏀🔥
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Those who aren't excited to watch this season don't like basketball. PERIOD
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

I am excited about the team on the floor a lot, but my enthusiasm is tempered by what I see as the rise of the Clippers org, in particularly their FO compared to ours long term and what it might mean to kids growing up in the area long term, and also short term their team on the floor's quality (as I see it) vs ours (I worry mainly about our depth and injury concerns). If we are deprived of rings BY the Clips as they put in a new stadium in our former home area putting a lot of money in the community (outside of hoops, I'll love that regardless for the area), it hurts, maybe fatally so, our Lakers identity. But anyway, it is very exciting (if Lebron and AD and Green stay healthy into all the way in the playoffs) to be pretty great again potentially.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I am excited about the team on the floor a lot, but my enthusiasm is tempered by what I see as the rise of the Clippers org, in particularly their FO compared to ours long term and what it might mean to kids growing up in the area long term, and also short term their team on the floor's quality (as I see it) vs ours (I worry mainly about our depth and injury concerns). If we are deprived of rings BY the Clips as they put in a new stadium in our former home area putting a lot of money in the community (outside of hoops, I'll love that regardless for the area), it hurts, maybe fatally so, our Lakers identity. But anyway, it is very exciting (if Lebron and AD and Green stay healthy into all the way in the playoffs) to be pretty great again potentially.

I think this is the most well stated post in here...The on court battles for the next couple years are going to be special. Anyone not excited for what our team is capable of is just being foolish.

But the long term prognosis, IMO, is still grim. We got to this position by trading away every asset and getting into the Klutch business. This was not some amazing stroke of genius the way Sean Marks built the Nets out of nothing or Ballmer transformed the Clippers to elite organization status.. Meanwhile, we still have FO brass led by Kurt Rambis, Linda Rambis, Jeanie Buss, and Rob Pelinka. Maybe Rob isnt terrible and he put together a great lineup this year, but he's also indicated that it was basically all AD and LBJ.

So again, I am stoked to watch a team who should be a able to win a ring but I am also not that optimistic what happens post LeBron.

AD/LeBron/Kuzma/Boogie*/Dwight/Rondo/Green I mean, those are some big names and storylines with the talent to back up the hype.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

too soon?..lol
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject:

I'm only half excited-- I've been watching since the Showtime days, and only 2010 really got me as excited as I was when I was a kid. 2009 was pretty cool too because I was in a college classroom and the teacher put on the last game against the Magic, so we could celebrate together, which was such a memorable moment, especially in a night class. Kobe's last game was probably the most emotional I've been about the Lakers since. I've actually watched these last 6 years of horrid basketball but more out of curiosity of seeing young players grow. This year feels like some kind of weird lab experiment where we bought a lot of expensive ingredients that sound good together but could also just blow up in our faces, so maybe I'm bored because I don't have an emotional attachment to any of the players except maybe Kuz. I don't want to get attached to AD until he signs long term, and LBJ could take off at any time, so I just feel like it could all go horribly awry, so why invest a ton of emotion until we're on a more sustained course? Still, it's my team, so I will always be interested to a point.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:

This game was honestly a disappointment. If we can't beat the Clippers when they only have one of their stars, we won't beat them in a 7 game series. I'm hopeful to not see them in the Playoffs.

I believe the Lakers 'Can' make it to the championship, but not if we face the Clippers in a playoff series, as of right now this very moment, the Clippers Own the Lakers!

LBJ at Point Guard was unsatisfactory for me as a fan and as a coach last night. But with Rondo and Carusso out we had no other option. LeBron I hope you read this.
Last night as a Point Guard you were over-passing.
You looked to pass first rather than to draw attention and then pass. As a point guard you have to be a threat. When you did go to the bucket you scored the ball, that was the setup!
Now you have the defense's attention and every time you go to the bucket they will collapse, then you kick.

Last night you were hesitant with the ball and indecisive... You picked up your dribble too early and too often.

Lebron will hold down most of the point duties for the Lakers, but when facing a good physical, harassing defensive team like the Clippers, we need the ball out of his hands. He will have to stay confident all year long if he's running the Point Forward spot!

Voguel should have made some type of adjustment because I thought the ball was stagnant and didn't move as freely in previous games. The ISO game with AD or LBJ took the Lakers out of the flow and it was obvious when Green was knocking down shots, the ball flowed and he had confidence.

As I stated Disappointing game to watch last night, I was hoping for a win... But once again the Lure of the Hollywood Lakers proved in the first game to be too overwhelming for the Coaching Staff to make a few in game adjustments... Not once did a time-out serve for good decision making for the Lakers... The Clippers however were a different story, Doc Rivers and the Clippers totally outplayed and out-coached the Lakers to a win Last night.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

But all too often I am seeing the overuse of the “you are not a true fan if you don’t unequivocally believe _________” type comments regarding James, the plan or this season.

I’m excited for every season. Whatever the roster, issues or expectations. I think most are or they wouldn’t be on the forum. It is fine to be at different levels of enthusiasm.

And to be fair, this current plan/ roster has its share of divisive issues to love or hate.

Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to explain why you connect with some Laker squads over others. My favorite Laker team was the one that lost to Wheelchair Paul Pierce and the horrible Shmeltics.
This team doesn’t give me that warm tingly feeling like so many others have but I still wanna see them build chemistry and gel. Who knows, maybe they play so beautifully together that they end up garnering that same type of enthusiasm from me later on in the year.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

heck no i am not. These bron fans are worse than the Lin fans from a few years ago.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
heck no i am not. These bron fans are worse than the Lin fans from a few years ago.

y
..i
......e
........s no way, the lin army was abominable
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
kidding, right?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:

I’m not a Bron fan but I root for whoever wears the uniform. I wish more people did the same.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:

Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to explain why you connect with some Laker squads over others. My favorite Laker team was the one that lost to Wheelchair Paul Pierce and the horrible Shmeltics.
This team doesn’t give me that warm tingly feeling like so many others have but I still wanna see them build chemistry and gel. Who knows, maybe they play so beautifully together that they end up garnering that same type of enthusiasm from me later on in the year.

I root for the team to win but I'm not searching box scores to see who did what because I don't care. With young guys, I always watched for their growth each year and it was satisfying to see improvement. I eagerly watched individuals, but no more. I'll be glad to see what Kuz brings to the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: