Kobe v. LBJ (Read mod warning on page 1 before posting)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Kobe v. LBJ (Read mod warning on page 1 before posting)

ChefLinda wrote:
To address some recurring issues in this thread, please read the below before posting:

When someone stereotypes an entire group of fans (whether Kobe fans or LBJ fans), it provokes people who identify with that fandom. People take it personally, feel insulted and start hurling insults in return. Then the whole thread becomes a food fight with angry posters reporting one another for having started it.

That's why we ask people to discuss the topic "Kobe v LeBron" and not other posters. The topic is not "Kobe fans v LeBron fans." See the difference?

And just to clarify, when someone is suspended we take into account their posting history. If they are a known troublemaker, frequently hostile and insulting, then we are quicker on the draw to suspend them for the current infraction. If a poster is generally solid but wanders over the line in one or two posts, then we warn rather than suspend.

Since we expect superfans of both Kobe and LeBron to make effusive posts supporting their guy in this thread, we don't consider that trolling for the purposes of this thread only. However, if a Kobe superfan went over to the LBJ thread and made similarly effusive posts there, then that would be considered trolling and they would be warned to cease and desist.

And finally, if this thread annoys you, don't open it. If a particular poster annoys you, ignore them and keep scrolling.

I hate having this conversation, b/c one is retired and the other is still actively playing for our Lakers and is a key component to any title run.

In an effort to clean up the LBJ thread, here you go. Have at it.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

Haha good stuff, yinoma. It would be great if we could keep ALL Kobe vs. Lebron talk here. I'll start. In a seven game series to win it all, I'd pick prime Kobe over prime Lebron.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Haha good stuff, yinoma. It would be great if we could keep ALL Kobe vs. Lebron talk here. I'll start. In a seven game series to win it all, I'd pick prime Kobe over prime Lebron.

I’m with Landsberger
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Interestingly they would be such a great duo together.

I've always said that you take LBJ for 3.5 quarters of a game. Like he's the best ever at that point.

It's the last .5 quarter that he gets somewhat iffy. That's when guys like Kobe/MJ seem to flourish a bit more, though in all honesty, LBJ's "clutch" stats are pretty good too.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I've always said that you take LBJ for 3.5 quarters of a game. Like he's the best ever at that point.

It's the last .5 quarter that he gets somewhat iffy. That's when guys like Kobe/MJ seem to flourish a bit more, though in all honesty, LBJ's "clutch" stats are pretty good too.

If they could’ve teamed up it would have been lights out for the league.
And to your point about clutch time, I think they would have made plays for each other and taken turns shutting the door
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

And to your point about clutch time, I think they would have made plays for each other and taken turns shutting the door

I could never put my finger on it, but LBJ never doing the dunk contest is some sort of psychological thing. I think he is a bit afraid of failure while someone like Kobe will run into a brick wall over and over again, to great success and failure. But LBJ will not want to do that as he is more calculated.

I think some pressure moments have sort of revealed that. Though of course, he is always going to be in the conversation for best all time IMO.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

i know this much, if we swap a 35 year old LBJ with a 35 year old Kobe, our supporting cast (namely anyone other than AD) would not play this hard on both ends of the floor. just my personal opinion, don't get excited Kobe fans.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

That's tricky... To me it would depend on the make up of the team. I've seen both guys come up huge in a seven game series. But if it goes to game 7, I will have to go with Lebron just with history alone.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I could never put my finger on it, but LBJ never doing the dunk contest is some sort of psychological thing. I think he is a bit afraid of failure while someone like Kobe will run into a brick wall over and over again, to great success and failure. But LBJ will not want to do that as he is more calculated.

I think some pressure moments have sort of revealed that. Though of course, he is always going to be in the conversation for best all time IMO.

As they both should be. I honestly have no problem with a fan who believes LeBron is better overall. I just hate when they use absolutist language. It demeans other opinions from the jump. No fun to talk hoops at that point.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i know this much, if we swap a 35 year old LBJ with a 35 year old Kobe, our supporting cast (namely anyone other than AD) would not play this hard on both ends of the floor. just my personal opinion, don't get excited Kobe fans.

I’m curious why you assume that. Is it because Kobe had slipped defensively by that point?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I’m curious why you assume that. Is it because Kobe had slipped defensively by that point?

No way to know b/c Kobe was already hurt right?

I think LBJ would hold up better thanks to his 6'8 (almost nearly 6'9 it seems), 260 pound frame. Whereas Kobe had to effectively downsize to "SF" at times towards the end (and be outsized physically), LBJ, can downsize to "PF" and still be physically imposing.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

because supporting cast prefer playing with LeBron more than Kobe. this has been well documented. players are all ball watching when Kobe does his thing, cuz they knew he wouldn't pass. Kobe belongs in the era of iso ball. different era, different playing style.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Kobron
Tron

The combined basketball IQ of these two men would have destroyed the competition. Lebrons ability to bring everyone together along with Kobes skill to kill a whole team by himself,,, Juggernaut
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

because supporting cast prefer playing with LeBron more than Kobe. this has been well documented. players are all ball watching when Kobe does his thing, cuz they knew he wouldn't pass. Kobe belongs in the era of iso ball. different era, different playing style.

Kobe’s back to back title teams played pretty damn hard for him so I think that “fact” might be overblown somewhat
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

I also think Kobe and LBJ are fundamentally different players.

Kobe is just a scoring machine looking to go right at a team's defense. Has more of a Jordan style approach to the game. He's looking to kill you by scoring mostly (though he can pass too) and was always a high usage player in his prime.

LBJ is more of a Magic/Jordan hybrid. I feel like his primary instinct is to control a game, and that sops up usage too. So he's trying to control every facet of the game offensively.

Two different approaches for sure and it makes them tough to compare IMO. Kobe v. Jordan is an easier analysis as they are the same archetype of player. But LBJ? Not an easy archetype given his size and playstyle. Maybe a 6'8/9 version of Oscar Robertson?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe is just a scoring machine looking to go right at a team's defense. Has more of a Jordan style approach to the game. He's looking to kill you by scoring mostly (though he can pass too) and was always a high usage player in his prime.

LBJ is more of a Magic/Jordan hybrid. I feel like his primary instinct is to control a game, and that sops up usage too. So he's trying to control every facet of the game offensively.

Two different approaches for sure and it makes them tough to compare IMO. Kobe v. Jordan is an easier analysis as they are the same archetype of player. But LBJ? Not an easy archetype given his size and playstyle. Maybe a 6'8/9 version of Oscar Robertson?

Exactly
Just different mentalities. Kobe never let up. Came at you in waves until you collapsed under the pressure. Stephen Jackson had a great take on this aspect of Kobe’s mentality that had Shannon Sharpe about to lose it a while back Lol.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Both are elite, but Kobe is better at dealing with hecklers than Bron.

Silently holding up a finger for every ring vs. Telling a dude his lady is embarrassed to be with him.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Both are elite, but Kobe is better at dealing with hecklers than Bron.

Silently holding up a finger for every ring vs. Telling a dude his lady is embarrassed to be with him.

GOAT! Hahahahahaha
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

This... It's really comes down to which type of player you prefer. I was a huge MJ fan growing up, and became a Kobe fan when MJ's career was ending. Kobe to me was the closest to MJ. I remember they pushed so hard for Jerry Stackhouse and even Isiaih Rider as next MJ coming.

Lebron is Lebron... I never seen anything like him. Kobe is great but I have seen that act before.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This... It's really comes down to which type of player you prefer. I was a huge MJ fan growing up, and became a Kobe fan when MJ's career was ending. Kobe to me was the closest to MJ. I remember they pushed so hard for Jerry Stackhouse and even Isiaih Rider as next MJ coming.

Lebron is Lebron... I never seen anything like him. Kobe is great but I have seen that act before.

Give me the act I’ve seen before when it’s a better act. And for me, it is
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stephen Jackson knows whats up:

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yea yea yea but can LeBron protrude his lower jaw and scowl to scare his opponents... dont' think so
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Stephen Jackson knows whats up:

I’ve always liked Stephen Jackson
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Yea yea yea but can LeBron protrude his lower jaw and scowl to scare his opponents... dont' think so

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Can't say who is better or not but I feel that if Kobe was in the Heat team instead of Lebron then the Heat would have a 4 peat. Assuming Kobe was entering his prime like Lebron was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164  Next
Page 1 of 164
Jump to: