mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/us/fresno-mass-shooting-football-party/index.html
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/us/fresno-mass-shooting-football-party/index.html

Time to talk about mental health issues some more

Quote:
The mass shooting was the third in California in less than a week. On Thursday, a 16-year-old student at a Southern California high school shot and killed two classmates and wounded three other teens before fatally shooting himself.

On Saturday, police in San Diego said a husband shot and killed his wife and three of their sons before killing himself. A fourth son wounded in the shooting was on life support, family members said.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Revenge is mine sayeth...

Time to talk about problems of our species. Our species needs help not just single Individuals

The American Capitalist Industrial Complex achieves many of it's goals through murder and destruction of whole countries and civilizations and we expect our citizenry to be sane?

The whole world is a mental hospital.
Our schools teach us money is better than equanimity. More important than your own soul even
You have to have money to die even. Cremation Burial Ceremonies et al

Teach children to connect on an equal level
Don't glorify anyone but your own self and to your self
Never become a commodity for capitalist predators
Protect your planet your community your friends but most important
Protect your own sanity and peace in mind

Learn to be a softer species.
First rule/law of many Buddhist sects is "Maitri" = Unconditional friendliness to yourself that then in turn will spread to your whole world
Jehovah.. 4 words in Hebrew "Yod He Vau He" meaning that which you are aware of being....
Thich Nhat Hanh asks his followers two important questions
1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
Don Miguel Ruiz "The four agreements
1. Be impeccable with your word
2. Never take anything personal
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

Our children need schools that help them love and express themselves not just become a robot in the system

*Shooter above was either getting revenge or it was a gang initiation is my guess

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Time to talk about problems of our species. Our species needs help not just single Individuals

The American Capitalist Industrial Complex achieves many of it's goals through murder and destruction of whole countries and civilizations and we expect our citizenry to be sane?

Our schools teach us money is better than equanimity. More important than your own soul even

First rule/law of many Buddhist sects is "Maitri" = Unconditional friendliness to yourself that then in turn will spread to your whole world
Jehovah.. 4 words in Hebrew "Yod He Vau He" meaning that which you are aware of being....
1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

Our children need schools that help them love and express themselves not just become a robot in the system

*Shooter above was either getting revenge or it was a gang initiation is my guess

Well said. My first thought was revenge when I read that the people that died were asians.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Well said. My first thought was revenge when I read that the people that died were asians.

That's an interesting first thought.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

Asia contains a lot of cultures and ethnic groups...why do they all need avenging?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

Asia contains a lot of cultures and ethnic groups...why do they all need avenging?

Not sure what you mean by your comment. I got the impression from the article that this was an asian party and some wacko decided to shoot up a group of asians because of the recent school shooting which the shooter was an asian kid. The article said there was no immediate indication that the shooter knew the people nor gang related. Maybe I am thinking too much in to this but that is the impression I got when I read the article.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by your comment. I got the impression from the article that this was an asian party and some wacko decided to shoot up a group of asians because of the recent school shooting which the shooter was an asian kid. The article said there was no immediate indication that the shooter knew the people nor gang related. Maybe I am thinking too much in to this but that is the impression I got when I read the article.

That's an interesting first thought that popped into your head. There's been many mass school shootings in the US and I can't recall any retaliatory shootings.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

I apologize, I misunderstood you...sorry. I didn't catch that the victims were Asian. Please disregard my comment.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

1. Do you really know?
2. Are you really sure?
3. Never assume anything
4. Always do your best

I apologize, I misunderstood you...sorry. I didn't catch that the victims were Asian. Please disregard my comment.

It's my fault. I was way too vague in my first reply.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

That's an interesting first thought that popped into your head. There's been many mass school shootings in the US and I can't recall any retaliatory shootings.

This isn't a school
It was a Family gathering of watching football together
An Asian family
Someone snuck in. Not one of the family
And started spraying bullets and ran away.

It is valuable to see our mind in action. The posters mind felt like it was a race based attack
They identify with their race and it feels personal
It very well could be and the greatest struggle is hating the Sin/Action and not the perpetrator

People who tell us to Love our enemies seem (bleep) crazy.
I comprehend the why and the how but do not practice it.
Anything you send will be multiplied. Send hate you generate hate in and among you
Send care to their eternal soul. See them as you or a loved one and YOU will be healed.

Hate hurts you and all you're attached to more
Anger is one letter short of Danger
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:
The mass shooting was the third in California in less than a week. On Thursday, a 16-year-old student at a Southern California high school shot and killed two classmates and wounded three other teens before fatally shooting himself.

On Saturday, police in San Diego said a husband shot and killed his wife and three of their sons before killing himself. A fourth son wounded in the shooting was on life support, family members said.

Just as long as we don't talk about the actual weapons used...
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

fresno.. that whole central valley is the hood. its a miracle anyone makes it out of there alive.

my first thought was that it was gang related.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
fresno.. that whole central valley is the hood. its a miracle anyone makes it out of there alive.

no, its not all a hood! Does it have the hood in it?" yes. I live here in the Central Valley, born in L.A spend all my summers in the South Bay (Carson right next to Carson Park) as a kid up until my very early 20's at my Grandmothers and Dads, Its all the same, some area's are bad, some are good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

no, its not all a hood! Does it have the hood in it?" yes. I live here in the Central Valley, born in L.A spend all my summers in the South Bay (Carson right next to Carson Park) as a kid up until my very early 20's at my Grandmothers and Dads, Its all the same, some area's are bad, some are good.

And one of the bad ones would be the Central Valley...
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

Just as long as we don't talk about the actual weapons used...

I just hope they dont make guns illegal. This is a people in this country issue. You take away guns more people will go to jail, which are already overflowing, also they will start using bombs then. It is a scary thought.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

24Legend007 wrote:
I just hope they dont make guns illegal. This is a people in this country issue. You take away guns more people will go to jail, which are already overflowing, also they will start using bombs then. It is a scary thought.

First of all, they are not going to make guns illegal.

Secondly, stronger gun regulation is not going to result in more people being put in jail. It will just reduce access to guns

Thirdly, reducing the number of guns in the country does not mean people will just start using bombs. The logical fallacy there is staggering.

Three strikes . . . you're out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

DaMuleRules wrote:
Secondly, stronger gun regulation is not going to result in more people being put in jail. It will just reduce access to guns

His line of thinking is that people will still have access to guns, just illegally thus going to jail for it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

His line of thinking is that people will still have access to guns, just illegally thus going to jail for it.

I know what his point was and it's a false narrative.

The people who would be using illegal weapons to commit crimes are the very people who are already committing those crimes with blackmarket weapons. Those people go to jail for the crimes they commit, not because they are law abiding people who turn to a life of crime because of the reduced availability to guns. Restricting guns is NOT going turn law abiding people into criminals - no matter how many people buy into the NRA propaganda.

You know why? Refer to Point 1. They are not going to make guns illegal. So law abiding citizens will not be restricted from having reasonable access to guns. Again, gun legislation is not going to put people into jail who would not otherwise find themselves there for other reasons.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

According to this report - it might not be a false narrative:

Quote:
Since 2000, Illinois has increased its penalties for gun offenses six times (including establishing, then increasing, mandatory minimums) and now has some of the harshest punishment in the nation. The number of weapons offenders in Illinois prisons is three times higher than in 2000.

https://www.chicagoreporter.com/locking-up-more-people-is-not-the-solution-to-gun-violence/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Locking people up is not the solution to most problems.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

According to this report - it might not be a false narrative:

Quote:
Since 2000, Illinois has increased its penalties for gun offenses six times (including establishing, then increasing, mandatory minimums) and now has some of the harshest punishment in the nation. The number of weapons offenders in Illinois prisons is three times higher than in 2000.

https://www.chicagoreporter.com/locking-up-more-people-is-not-the-solution-to-gun-violence/

Two things. You conveniently trimmed my quote in an obvious point to evade the point.

Secondly, That article has nothing to do with the point. Guns are not illegal in Illinois. They are just regulated and require what is essentially a license . . . you know, like you and I need to drive a car legally.

What that article discusses is people who violate gun regulations. Despite what some of the dishonest language in that article implies, people are not being locked up for simply possessing a gun. They are prosecuted for violating the gun regulations in a state where guns are legal.

So getting back to the point. Guns are not going to be made illegal. It's simply a matter of gun regulation. Gun regulation does not keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens who follow regulations, much less throw them in jail for simply owning a gun.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: mass shooting - fresno - 10 shot - 4 dead

DaMuleRules wrote:
Two things. You conveniently trimmed my quote in an obvious point to evade the point.

There's nothing I can do to erase whatever you wrote since people can just read it above. However, I can highlight the part I want to respond to.

DaMuleRules wrote:
Secondly, That article has nothing to do with the point. Guns are not illegal in Illinois. They are just regulated and require what is essentially a license . . . you know, like you and I need to drive a car legally.

ok, it's not illegal but it's regulated.

So, people in Illinois are being put in prison, not because it's illegal, but because it's regulated?

I don't know, but here's a quote in the article. They seem to use the words "illegal gun possession."

Quote:
But addressing it effectively requires recognizing that gun possession, in and of itself, is a nonviolent crime. While the risk of violence increases with gun ownership, only a small proportion of gun owners, either legal or illegal, use them against other people.

Instead of recognizing this, however, Illinois gun possession laws “are written as though everyone who breaks them intends imminent violence,” according to the report. Penalties for illegal gun possession are harsher than for some violent crimes.

If you only took this last part from the article: "Penalties for illegal gun possession are harsher than for some violent crimes" - then isn't it possible that making the possession of guns illegal can have the effect of leading to higher prison/jail rates?

Is it not conceivable that if they were illegal in California but not in neighboring states, that there will be people who travel out of state to purchase them and bring them back to California as unregistered guns?

And these people might get caught and have to go to jail/prison? Isn't that at least conceivable?

Or does that still fall within some type of fuzzy distinction between "illegal" vs "regulated"?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

Nobody should own a gun and not know the laws about traveling or purchasing across state lines

I can't travel with my weed and it doesn't kill people
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: