The Car Stereo Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: The Car Stereo Thread

Ok, rockers, rappers, hip hoppers and guys who like to have great sounds in your car.

Or you can discuss what you had in past vehicles... 6-CD changers, cassettes, 8-Tracks, be proud...

Let's hear about it, the amps, the watts, the subs, the speakers, what's you got?

Share your car stereo stories here...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject:

Subaru Legacy. Stock stereo.

/thread
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject:

Lexus IS-F.

Levinson sound system stock 6 inch sub. Added 10 inch morel subwoofer custom side box and amp upgraded kicker battery harness to sub. I estimated near 2000 watts. Although it sounds amazing. That tech is over 10 years and the car just has squeaks and rattles
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

bought a 2019 Honda Passport in March, a Touring model, added the factory CD player for $500 (ouch), it has a hard drive to up load music and a 550w 10 channel / 10 speaker set up that sounds pretty good, but I'm upgrading to two pairs of Focal 165AS components to make it sound even better!

The OEM speakers in the Passport (SUV) are laid out as follows:
(2) Tweeters installed to cross-fire in the A Pillars
(2) 6.5" drivers in the front doors
(2) 6.5" drivers in the rear doors
(2) Mid-range/Tweeters, front firing in the upper rear panels, behind the rear seats
(1) Center Channel in the center of dash
(1) Sub Woofer under rear deck, near spare tire

The Focal Tweeters will replace the (4) existing Tweeters/Midranges and the Focal woofers will go in the four doors. I can turn the Center Channel down (independently) and also plan to leave the stock sub as it can be adjusted independently as well.

My car is at the shop right now...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
bought a 2019 Honda Passport in March, a Touring model, added the factory CD player for $500 (ouch), it has a hard drive to up load music and a 550w 10 channel / 10 speaker set up that sounds pretty good, but I'm upgrading to two pairs of Focal 165AS components to make it sound even better!

(2) Mid-range/Tweeters, front firing in the upper rear panels, behind the rear seats

The Focal Tweeters will replace the (4) existing Tweeters/Midranges and the Focal woofers will go in the four doors. I can turn the Center Channel down (independently) and also plan to leave the stock sub as it can be adjusted independently as well.

What model line?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

What model line?

these guys right here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS/Focal-Performance-165AS.html

and here: https://www.focal-america.com/product/165as/

Damn it, my car is ready and my wife is off somewhere and won't answer her cell, I need a right to pick up my car...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Subaru Legacy. Stock stereo.

/thread

Yeah, my Camry XSE came with a JBL system that more than suits my audio needs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

What model line?

these guys right here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS/Focal-Performance-165AS.html

Damn it, my car is ready and my wife is off somewhere and won't answer her cell, I need a right to pick up my car...

Ah. Those are the go to for factory locations? Solid upgrade for sure.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

What model line?

Ah. Those are the go to for factory locations? Solid upgrade for sure.

Yeah, got the car back, where the front tweeters were, they put the new Focal Tweeters, they look nearly stock, but do have the Focal nameplate on them, in the rear, where the larger Midrange-tweeters were, they put the Focals behind the OEM covers, so they look completely stock. All four doors have the Focal Midrange-woofers behind the stock panels. Oh, they also put Dyna-Mat behind all the speakers in the doors to further the sound deadening.

How do they sound? Freakin' Phenomenal , super loud and super clear, even powered by the OEM amp (I was worried it might be under-powered). And the guy said they should sound even better after their initial burn-in period. I need to take a nice drive along the coast tomorrow...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

Curious. How do people even get non-stock stereo systems anywhere when there’s no standard “slot” for it anymore.

Do you just have a gaping space or do you forgo changing the stereo system and just add a woofer?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

back in the day......loud systems were a huge deal in small rural towns where teens literally pass time on the weekend "cruising" around town in a circle like manner.

I had a 1991 Dodge D50 4x4. (If you are not familiar with them, they were sister trucks with Mitsubishi's. This is a similar truck, but my truck was blue and not extended cab.) I had

- 2 15" Kicker Speakers behind the seat. They were a little too large because the seat had to be pushed up about an inch beyond comfort.
- all of the stock speakers were replaced with Pioneer speakers. They were not the highest quality if I recall.
- 2 12" JL Audio subs in a bandpass box in the bed under cover.
- a Clarion 400 Amp to the bandpass box and a Clarion 360 Amp to the speakers behind the seat mounted between the 15" speakers
- a Pioneer single disc head unit (with detachable face of course )
- an Alpine equalizer (which I really never understood how to properly utilize)

looking back, I am sure the quality was ass, but it would vibrate any structure within 100 yards! After college I got a wild hair and put 2 12" JL Audio with a Rockford Fosgate Amp and an Alpine 6 disc changer in a SUV I had just purchased. Since then (around 2003), it has been all stock for me. My current car has a Bose system and it has solid sound for dad!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Curious. How do people even get non-stock stereo systems anywhere when there’s no standard “slot” for it anymore.

Do you just have a gaping space or do you forgo changing the stereo system and just add a woofer?

not really sure what you are asking, but I know when I go to get windows tinted or something at a stereo shop, it is a whole different world today. The quality of the products are so much better. I do know that Alpine has a whole custom line I saw....like custom designed head units for a Chevrolet Silverado or a Toyota Camry...they were not cheap. If I recall, they were in the $2,500 range.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

recently, the OEM Bose amp went out in my car. I learned that this happens a lot with this model. It was under warranty, so they just ordered another and installed....but I did ask the guy about replacing with an after market. He told me that it would not work....the OEM Bose systems in Cadillac's only work with like components. He said the change the amp, I would have to change the head unit and speakers also. I assume he was telling me the truth, but back in the day I recall you could change the head unit or leave the factory and it would still work with after market speakers and amps.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

My vehicle has a pretty standard space for the stereo, but there are so many components and parts on the dash now, getting to it would be a pain.

Additionally, I have steering wheel controls that I love using--- as well as a separate aux/usb slot that is not located on the stereo.

If I were to replace my head unit I would have to get a few different adapters to keep all that stuff working.

I ended up installing an old Alpine amp (4x75) hooked up the front channels to some JBL 6.5s in the front doors... then I bridged the rear channels (150x1) to a 10" JBL sub in a ported box in the trunk. Not gonna rattle anyone's teeth, but the sound is great and the music is much more crisp.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure what the value is in replacing a head unit any more. There's just too much functionality integrated into the car, and as long as it supports everything you want to do, I'm not sure how much there is to gain in quality.

I'm thinking of replacing the amp & speakers in my X3 (I want my science podcasts to sound like I'm in the room ) and there are aftermarket kits that will achieve that (i.e., Bavsound) with speakers & amps that are exact replacements for the factory equipment -- no modifications needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing the amp & speakers in my X3 (I want my science podcasts to sound like I'm in the room ) and there are aftermarket kits that will achieve that (i.e., Bavsound) with speakers & amps that are exact replacements for the factory equipment -- no modifications needed.

I looked into the Bavasounds' when I had a BMW, but I just did not trust the brand and they were not cheap and made all kinds of promises..

I know Focal and MB Quart make speakers that fit some BMW's and those are quality brands that I trust:

https://mbquart.com/mobile-audio/mobile-archive/bmw-series/bmw-speakers/

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/focal-bmwr/ifbmw-s

If you are in OC, check out Metro Sound on the corner of Beach & Heil, they seem pretty knowledgeable and do great work (ask for Mo)...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

I looked into the Bavasounds' when I had a BMW, but I just did not trust the brand and they were not cheap and made all kinds of promises..

I know Focal and MB Quart make speakers that fit some BMW's and those are quality brands that I trust:

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/focal-bmwr/ifbmw-s

If you are in OC, check out Metro Sound on the corner of Beach & Heil, they seem pretty knowledgeable and do great work (ask for Mo)...

I'd cross off the MB Quart imo. Lot of phenomenal brands out there. I'd go Focal or Hertz if you want a little more forward (some call detailed, others call brightJ). I'd recommend Morel if you want a smoother presentation. IIRC, Morel was founded by former Dynaudio employees or something of that nature.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm not sure what the value is in replacing a head unit any more. There's just too much functionality integrated into the car, and as long as it supports everything you want to do, I'm not sure how much there is to gain in quality.

I looked into the Bavsound before my 435 was totalled. I got a chance to listen to one in a E92 coupe and it wasn't that much of an improvement over the "premium" HK system in the 435.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Spent 3 grand on a system for my car when I was a teenager. I can't imagine any reasonable adult doing something like that.

Probably one of the dumbest things you can do is spend money on something that has an almost zero value once purchased and pay money to have it installed in something that loses value on a daily basis.

we used to joke about people spending 10 grand on a system for a 5 grand car. The reality is that they had 300 bucks worth of junk that they spend 2 grand installing in a car that wouldn't be worth 3 grand with or without said junk.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Beach and Heil? Surf Nazis?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Spent 3 grand on a system for my car when I was a teenager. I can't imagine any reasonable adult doing something like that.

Probably one of the dumbest things you can do is spend money on something that has an almost zero value once purchased and pay money to have it installed in something that loses value on a daily basis.

we used to joke about people spending 10 grand on a system for a 5 grand car. The reality is that they had 300 bucks worth of junk that they spend 2 grand installing in a car that wouldn't be worth 3 grand with or without said junk.

There were several of those cars where I grew up....that or $3K rims on a $1K car. I did not have $3 grand in my system, but much of that is because it took me about a year to build it. It was such a big deal where I grew up, I began building my system when I was 15 before I could drive or had anything to even install it in. We would go to trade shows on weekends and look for deals, out of box type stuff, etc. The one downfall was I actually ended up with too much equipment because I would find something I like better than I had already purchased. For example, the first speakers I purchased were a set of 10" JBL Subs....and I never used them anywhere at anytime. Since my birthday is close to Christmas, my Christmas gift before my 16th birthday was paying for the installation.

I agree it is not an intelligent use of money....but I would not change a thing....I got my money out of it at that stupid age. Nothing like a country boy driving a 4x4 pickup through the hollow with Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang thumping.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

speaking of car stereo's, did anyone have the large home stereo systems that were held in the large wooden case with the glass door?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/d6/8d/02d68dbc68c4e92429401445e44387fe.jpg

I recall I got one when I was around 13ish and CD's were somewhat new. Got it at Circuit City....it was a Technics brand. I do not recall the price, but I recall thinking it was very expensive. Not sure what happened to it, but that thing did sound great and would shake the entire house when the volume was up.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
speaking of car stereo's, did anyone have the large home stereo systems that were held in the large wooden case with the glass door?

I recall I got one when I was around 13ish and CD's were somewhat new. Got it at Circuit City....it was a Technics brand. I do not recall the price, but I recall thinking it was very expensive. Not sure what happened to it, but that thing did sound great and would shake the entire house when the volume was up.

I had higher-end versions -- was into expensive audio at a young age. Had amplification at various times from PS Audio and Threshold, and speakers at various times from Magnat, Martin-Logan and Vandersteen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I agree it is not an intelligent use of money....but I would not change a thing....I got my money out of it at that stupid age. Nothing like a country boy driving a 4x4 pickup through the hollow with Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang thumping.

gods be thanked
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I had higher-end versions -- was into expensive audio at a young age. Had amplification at various times from PS Audio and Threshold, and speakers at various times from Magnat, Martin-Logan and Vandersteen.

yeah, mine was pretty standard I assume. I do recall that everyone was getting the common mass produced Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony brands at that time, so those were the brands that I wanted. The Technics hi-fi system was priced higher, but the guy offered the floor model at a similar price as the Pioneer version I wanted, and my mother wanted me to get the Technic's system because it was the only one with a record player component. She liked to listen to her Elvis records while she cleaned. It had a 6 disc changer, and I only received two CD's in my stocking which were my first.....LL Cool J (Mama Said Knock You Out) and The Scorpions (Crazy World).....good times.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: