Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

brock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Why hire one burnout former HC that saw their former team improve greatly once they left when you can have two?

We dodged a bullet in missing out on Lue. Vogel is far superior.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
Quote:
Harrison Faigen
@hmfaigen

Frank Vogel was talking about what the Lakers need to improve on, and he offered a critique of himself as well:

"I've got to continue to work on making things easier for Anthony. He's having to create on his own too much, and we need to get him the basketball more in movement."

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1196559984902848515

This is what I like to hear from our coach!

I wish he had an offensive guru he could collaborate with. I wish we had Nash on staff instead of Kidd lol.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I know they are just getting started offensively but so far it has been old school.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I mean one of the major things this guy has going for him is that apparently he knows - paraphrasing here - more than GT himself could ever hope to know about basketball. GT said that himself on a recent pod.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I know they are just getting started offensively but so far it has been old school.

Highest point differential in the NBA and shots aren't even falling yet.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I mean one of the major things this guy has going for him is that apparently he knows - paraphrasing here - more than GT himself could ever hope to know about basketball. GT said that himself on a recent pod.

You would hope your coach knows more than Chick Hearn.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Thank the defense for that. Offensively we are taking low efficiency shots, particularly AD. That can improve and I expect it to. Plus we will eventually play some of the better teams in the league.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Thank the defense for that. Offensively we are taking low efficiency shots, particularly AD. That can improve and I expect it to. Plus we will eventually play some of the better teams in the league.

The Lakers are 8th in EFG%.
Pretty impressive if they're taking low efficiency shots.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We're also 3rd in offensive efficiency to boot. I don't know wtf he's talking about.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We're also 3rd in offensive efficiency to boot. I don't know wtf he's talking about.

Link?

Nba.com has us 10th...

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1

EDIT: Basketball-reference has ratings adjusted for quality of opponent offense/defense. With adjusted rankings we're a hair behind the Jazz for #1 defense and #9 in offense. In adjusted net ratings, we're 2nd to Milwaukee, and behind us?...The Clippers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_ratings.html
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And our remaining strength of schedule based on teams' current performance is one of the easier schedules.

Our offense is aesthetically old school and not the modern game but pretty sure if we win the title with this offense/defense approach, it will become the retro modern game everyone copies overnight, just like the superteam fad reverted to the big duo in a single offseason.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:

We are also fourth in assists as a team, I believe.

So the positive in offense are

2nd in FG%
4th in assists
6th in Assists to TO ratio
10th in offense rating

So we take good high percentage shots, move the ball a lot, do not turn the ball over much. We need to make our 3 pointers at a better clip, and run a few more pick and rolls for AD. Once Rondo is involved in a rhythm game to game basis and there is more screen-rolls involving AD, then we should see our real ability as a team on offense. 3 point shooting comes and goes. Execution and defense needs to stay consistent. That is a championship level ball club staple, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I actually like seeing it, the ball movement has been great that it's easy to see that there's actual offense being run and we do get open shots. Not much iso beyond AD and occasional LeBron... the shots (both 3s and ADs) haven't start falling yet, this offense can look much better, whether it's looking old school or new school
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I actually like seeing it, the ball movement has been great that it's easy to see that there's actual offense being run and we do get open shots. Not much iso beyond AD and occasional LeBron... the shots (both 3s and ADs) haven't start falling yet, this offense can look much better, whether it's looking old school or new school

You have to be great at what you do. Whether it is from the past or present. The Lakers last year and the Pelicans last year both were top 3 in pace, and yet they were one of the weaker basketball teams out there.

High pace does not suit Lebron, and it doesn't suit a team built like the Lakers. High pace can get you some easier looks, and make your O rating a bit better at times. However what you need is a group that knows it's strengths and really exploits them. This is what this group tries to, save from utilizing AD in the post properly. AD had his moments early on, but in recent times a little less. We will get it right.

If you look at a championship team I think we resemble, it is the Boston Celtics (yes I know it's Boston) 2007-08. They were 1st in D rating. 19th in pace. 10th in Offense rating. They were dominant on D. They were very good on O, but it was not as dominant as their D. That is how we are identifying ourselves and are playing this way.

No one expected this, and over the summer, most said Frank Vogel was not even a good defensive coach, based on how Orlando defended. What we have here is a balanced coach, who knows defense. No clue if we win the title or not, but anyone who says Frank isn't a good coach, hasn't watched Indiana or LA play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

Good point.
Most would probably scoff at the idea of bringing AB off a screen for a mid range 2 in today's game. But when he's hitting 50% on pull up 2s and can turn that play into a drive with options to score or pass, it becomes an efficient play.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Good point.
Most would probably scoff at the idea of bringing AB off a screen for a mid range 2 in today's game. But when he's hitting 50% on pull up 2s and can turn that play into a drive with options to score or pass, it becomes an efficient play.

Especially when you realize how easy it was for Bradley to get those shots off. The whole point is to get shots off that are easy, high percentage. 3 pointers became a craze, because teams were able to use them as that kind of weapon. No one really used to defend the early quick 3. Now the league is evolving. Since everyone is using that tactic, defenses are starting to adjust. You are seeing teams play for the early 3. Now your early 3's are not so easy and open. There's much more contesting of those 3's. Meanwhile no one is defending the paint post ups, and mid-range. So if you have a dominant post player, and good mid-range shooters, why the heck not use it to create more balance to your attack. I mean we have weapons on the floor at all spots, not just the 3 ball. Danny Green hits the 3 ball for us. AB is a guy that can shoot the 3, drive and finish, or pull up for a mid-range 2. AD has dominant post up potential, is an elite pick/roll guy, can shoot the 3. Dwight and McGee have been killing teams inside if they are left without defensive attention. Lebron, is playing the modern better Magic role, as a PF sized PG who can shoot the 3 or drive inside. It's really a balanced attack we have, and one where you can see teams have trouble with,

Most important is that we can dictate the speed of the game with our offense and through the defense we play, we are not allowing teams to shoot as early as they want. This is what we need as there's no way we can win a title with LBJ at 35 and a veteran group such as McGee/Dwight, Green, AB etc, trying to outrun teams with better speed and outside shooting.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

Especially when you realize how easy it was for Bradley to get those shots off. The whole point is to get shots off that are easy, high percentage. 3 pointers became a craze, because teams were able to use them as that kind of weapon. No one really used to defend the early quick 3. Now the league is evolving. Since everyone is using that tactic, defenses are starting to adjust. You are seeing teams play for the early 3. Now your early 3's are not so easy and open. There's much more contesting of those 3's. Meanwhile no one is defending the paint post ups, and mid-range. So if you have a dominant post player, and good mid-range shooters, why the heck not use it to create more balance to your attack. I mean we have weapons on the floor at all spots, not just the 3 ball. Danny Green hits the 3 ball for us. AB is a guy that can shoot the 3, drive and finish, or pull up for a mid-range 2. AD has dominant post up potential, is an elite pick/roll guy, can shoot the 3. Dwight and McGee have been killing teams inside if they are left without defensive attention. Lebron, is playing the modern better Magic role, as a PF sized PG who can shoot the 3 or drive inside. It's really a balanced attack we have, and one where you can see teams have trouble with,

Most important is that we can dictate the speed of the game with our offense and through the defense we play, we are not allowing teams to shoot as early as they want. This is what we need as there's no way we can win a title with LBJ at 35 and a veteran group such as McGee/Dwight, Green, AB etc, trying to outrun teams with better speed and outside shooting.

Cosign to this. The balanced attack is critical in the post-season as teams key in on your tendencies. If you don't have the ability to beat teams from 3, the post and the mid-range - you're not a championship team.

For us to reach championship aspirations, I believe our key is enabling AD to score more easily from both the post and the midrange. I hate seeing AD take passes from 19ft away from the basket and left in isolation to create.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

Cosign to this. The balanced attack is critical in the post-season as teams key in on your tendencies. If you don't have the ability to beat teams from 3, the post and the mid-range - you're not a championship team.

For us to reach championship aspirations, I believe our key is enabling AD to score more easily from both the post and the midrange. I hate seeing AD take passes from 19ft away from the basket and left in isolation to create.

Agreed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Good point.

Less efficient than hitting 35% from 3. Today’s offenses have less to do with the Warriors than they do with mathematics.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

Less efficient than hitting 35% from 3. Today’s offenses have less to do with the Warriors than they do with mathematics.

What's AB hitting from 3?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

29% this year. He's pretty darn good at the mid range though so I like him taking that shot
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

29% this year. He's pretty darn good at the mid range though so I like him taking that shot

I wonder if anyone tracks contested 3pt shooting percentages vs uncontested mid-range 2pt shots. Better 3pt defense may turn favor back to 2 pt shots in some cases.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

I wonder if anyone tracks contested 3pt shooting percentages vs uncontested mid-range 2pt shots. Better 3pt defense may turn favor back to 2 pt shots in some cases.

stats.nba.com does. But even without it. Not sure how ABs 29% 3 becomes a more efficient shot that his 50% 2.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
bluehill wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

stats.nba.com does. But even without it. Not sure how ABs 29% 3 becomes a more efficient shot that his 50% 2.

And of course no one said that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
bluehill wrote:
drae wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Good point.

And of course no one said that.

Bruh.
My post was about AB.
You commented on my post about AB.
Why don't you expand your explanation instead of just letting people think you're coo coo. Go Lakers!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 82 of 224
Jump to: