2019-2020 Race to MVP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: 2019-2020 Race to MVP

According to the Kia MVP Ladder on 15 November, Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks) is the leader in the MVP race. Lebron James (LA Lakers) is #2. James Harden (Houston Rockets) at #3. Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics) at #4. Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors) at #5.

Is this a good reflection of the early MVP race for 2019-2020? Should James and Davis be higher? Will they cancel themselves out? Is Lebron having his best season in years? Is he capable of securing another MVP trophy, this time as a Lakers?

The LA Lakers haven't had a regular season MVP since 2008. Is this the year that this changes?

15 November 2019:
1 - Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
2 - Lebron James, LA Lakers
3 - James Harden, Houston Rockets
4 - Kemba Walker, Boston Celtics
5 - Pascal Siakam, Toronto Raptors

22 November 2019:
3 - Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
4 - James Harden, Houston Rockets
5 - Kawhi Leonard, LA Clippers

29 November 2019:
3 - Kemba Walker, Boston Celtics
4 - Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
5 - James Harden, Houston Rockets

6 December 2019:
2 - Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
3 - Lebron James, LA Lakers
5 - Pascal Siakam, Toronto Raptors

13 December 2019
2 - Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
3 - Lebron James, LA Lakers
5 - Anthony Davis - LA Lakers

This will be updated as these rankings are updated.

Last edited by 20,000 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:46 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

It's between Giannis, LeBron and Harden unless PG13 goes on an insane tear
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Haven't really followed the League outside of the Lakers. Just saw the stats on Giannis. Damn. If both LeBron and Giannis play like this all year it's a toss up. Voters not wanting to give a repeat or LeBron not being in the conversation for a little bit might help. We'll see.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Luka
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Luka

Ok, maybe, he goin super Saiyan tonight
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
epak wrote:
Luka

30 point triple double in only 3 quarters

Kid is only his 2nd year too dayum
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

It'll be Giannis vs Harden again. Can see record determining the winner. Think Lebron gets "penalized" for having AD.

But here's a nice stat i heard on the Ringer NBA pod: the Regular season MVP has doubled as the Finals MVP only 5 times in NBA history. One of the biggest criteria for a regular season MVP is "i had less help than you." But that also means you won't have enough help to win a championship
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
It'll be Giannis vs Harden again. Can see record determining the winner. Think Lebron gets "penalized" for having AD.

But here's a nice stat i heard on the Ringer NBA pod: the Regular season MVP has doubled as the Finals MVP only 5 times in NBA history. One of the biggest criteria for a regular season MVP is "i had less help than you." But that also means you won't have enough help to win a championship

The same player has won regular season MVP and finals MVP 15 out of 50 years. The regular season MVP has won a ring but not the finals MVP the same year 3 to 5 times I believe. So the regular season MVP wins a ring probably about 40% of the time.

I don't think it's so much "I had less help than you," than if you have a teammate who is also an MVP candidate so you split some of the vote. Other than a Durant/Curry situation, where voters aren't sure who the top guy is, I don't think the quality of teammates is a factor in how people vote.

So if Lebron continues to have a great season and is perceived to be the #1 guy, and the Lakers have a great record, I doubt having AD as a teammate will keep him from winning MVP.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
governator wrote:
epak wrote:
Luka

30 point triple double in only 3 quarters

Kid is only his 2nd year too dayum

Mis match for opposing PGs, teams need to start shift their SF/SG to guard him. BI did an excellent job last year
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Tbh my real MVP is going to be LeBron James no homer because Kobe is the goat in my eyes

But what LeBron James is doing right now in his 17th year leading the league in assists, 6th in Per, best record in the NBA right now dude is easily early favorite MVP he really is playing good basketball and he looks like he's still coasting until the 4fh quarter I really wish I could have appreciated his greatness it's going to be a sad day when he retires
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

If the Clippers keep winning I can see PG13 win the MVP. You know how ESPN and the media is in love with the Clips.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

kemba in no way deserves even close to 4
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
kemba in no way deserves even close to 4

Not even the best player on his team. Tatum has been better and contributes on both ends.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Freak and AD together would just be insane defensively. I can dream.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Harden's efficiency has hurt him in the past despite putting up very good numbers. Probably will hurt him this year too if he continues.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject:

LJ will win the more important award (that being the NBA Finals MVP).
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

It's a two man race between Giannis, and Bron. If Luka keeps it up he's also another legitimate candidate.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
It's a two man race between Giannis, and Bron. If Luka keeps it up he's also another legitimate candidate.

Harden dropping 40ppg, he in the discussion
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

I got LeBron, Harden, Kemba, Giannis, and Siakam (in that order). You can't be the MVP if you can't shoot, and Giannis was exposed in the playoffs last year (and has shown little improvement shooting this year). In a close game, Giannis becomes a liability outside of his defensive impact.

Also, Kemba absolutely deserves to be in the top 5. Look at how Boston is playing this year vs. last year with Kyrie (despite losing Gordon Hayward). Kemba is the leader of that team and makes them go. I don't see Tatum as the best player on their team this year, and he was being called a bust last year with Kyrie on the team.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

If he can bring up his efficiency I would agree. That's my standard. Based on the media chatter they don't seem to care too much about how inefficient he's been. I will acknowledge that he's shooting better as of late.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
governator wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

If he can bring up his efficiency I would agree. That's my standard. Based on the media chatter they don't seem to care too much about how inefficient he's been. I will acknowledge that he's shooting better as of late.

His TS% is 62%, averaging 38pts / game and his team is 11-4
I absolutely hate the way he plays the game, hope his team will lose in the first round of the playoffs, but he's definitly in the discussion for regular season MVP...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
I got LeBron, Harden, Kemba, Giannis, and Siakam (in that order). You can't be the MVP if you can't shoot, and Giannis was exposed in the playoffs last year (and has shown little improvement shooting this year). In a close game, Giannis becomes a liability outside of his defensive impact.

Also, Kemba absolutely deserves to be in the top 5. Look at how Boston is playing this year vs. last year with Kyrie (despite losing Gordon Hayward). Kemba is the leader of that team and makes them go. I don't see Tatum as the best player on their team this year, and he was being called a bust last year with Kyrie on the team.

I haven't watched much of Kemba. How much better is he from yesterday's game? His shrimpiness was exposed yesterday. The refs were pretty bad. But his size was a detriment.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Celtics team has always been well coached... They did the same thing and took Lebron up to game 7 in ECF without Kyrie/Hayward also.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I haven't watched much of Kemba. How much better is he from yesterday's game? His shrimpiness was exposed yesterday. The refs were pretty bad. But his size was a detriment.

Refs blew multiple critical calls late in the game. First, the foul by Lou Williams on Kemba's drive. Then, the charge that was ruled a blocking foul by the refs despite Kemba being way outside the restricted area and in position to take the charge. Kemba had one of his worst games this season last night, and he has taken over other games for the Celtics to win.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Celtics team has always been well coached... They did the same thing and took Lebron up to game 7 in ECF without Kyrie/Hayward also.

Taking LeBron to game 7 with the bum squad he was running on the Cavs (JR Smith as the second best player) isn't exactly an accomplishment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: