Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

I know the Lakers are still a work in progress. They're practically a brand new team, new players, new coach, key players injured or coming back from injuries.

Are the Lakers ready to take on the top teams in the League? The Lakers are not the same team as in Game 1 vs the Flippers. As they are now, (great defense but offense is still developing) can they beat Boston, Milwaukee, Philly, Houston and the Flippers?

I hope Boston beats the Flips tonight and makes Kawhi work too hard and need 2 or 3 load management days off afterward!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Lakerpark wrote:
I know the Lakers are still a work in progress. They're practically a brand new team, new players, new coach, key players injured or coming back from injuries.

Are the Lakers ready to take on the top teams in the League? The Lakers are not the same team as in Game 1 vs the Flippers. As they are now, (great defense but offense is still developing) can they beat Boston, Milwaukee, Philly, Houston and the Flippers?

I hope Boston beats the Flips tonight and makes Kawhi work too hard and need 2 or 3 load management days off afterward!

I think as last night showed against OKC (and the dippers earlier), we have a hard time containing scoring guards without Avery Bradley.

Boston with Kemba and Houston with Harden will have field days against us.

Milwaukee really screwed up letting Brogdon go and it may cost them Giannis in free agency. AD can cancel out Giannis and they have no one to guard Lebron (Simmons gives up 30-40lbs against him).

Our offense is still spotty at times, but our defense is good enough to keep us in games against any team. As good as our regular season is so far, I feel like our team is better built for the playoffs. Just stay healthy and I like our chances against any team!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Lakerpark wrote:
Are the Lakers ready to take on the top teams in the League?

Absolutely not. We would get butchered by any of the top teams in the league. We can run away screaming like the kids in a slasher movie, but we're going to get cut to pieces anyway. We should all become hockey fans to spare ourselves the misery.

Seriously, what the hell kind of question is that?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

This thread is an open invitation for anyone looking to nitpick the Lakers' soft spots. Personally I'd rather enjoy our early season success while I can and hope as the team gels we'll be ready when called upon to step up and take on the big guns. In other words, we'll be ready when it matters.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Ziggy wrote:
I think as last night showed against OKC (and the dippers earlier), we have a hard time containing scoring guards without Avery Bradley.

Boston with Kemba and Houston with Harden will have field days against us.

Yeah AB is critical to success against the Guard dominated teams.

On offense, more than anything we need someone who can share some of the playmaking role with Lebron. Off trade market or buyout. Rondo is a temporary solution imo.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Lakerpark wrote:

This.

This team isn't complete yet. We are horrible at hitting our threes and outside of late in the game yesterday, we haven't taken advantage of our PNR with the big two.

Kuzma has been finding his groove
KCP has played well lately
Caruso has been great at his role
Green is off two a slow start shooting wise

This is not a complete product we are witnessing and yet we are pretty dominant.

The shots will start to fall.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Absolutely not. We would get butchered by any of the top teams in the league. We can run away screaming like the kids in a slasher movie, but we're going to get cut to pieces anyway. We should all become hockey fans to spare ourselves the misery.

We are Doomed!!!
Like the movie with the Rock.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

Laker_Town wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

This.

This team isn't complete yet. We are horrible at hitting our threes and outside of late in the game yesterday, we haven't taken advantage of our PNR with the big two.

Kuzma has been finding his groove
KCP has played well lately
Caruso has been great at his role
Green is off two a slow start shooting wise

This is not a complete product we are witnessing and yet we are pretty dominant.

The shots will start to fall.

Basically all this. We are definitely not a finish product, it’s going to take a little longer for guys to know their roles and commit to it. The beauty of it is, is we are 11-2 and the defense brings it every night. Offense will come around and that’s freighting for the rest of the league. As long as we keep bringing this defense we will be in good shape. Just get healthy to the playoffs and we will be the team nobody wants to play in a series.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

We are Doomed!!!

Sacramento 🎵 🎵
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

If this team can stay relatively healthy, they have a real shot. LeBron is playing out of his mind, and AD provides such a presence (and big production of course) out there. The rest of the team is playing very well, including (and I never thought I'd say this) Dwight Howard. So far so good with him. He's really playing his role well. Really providing a presence out there and making a difference.

This team believes in itself and the players look like they have a real nice chemistry. Coaching staff deserves high marks. The team is defending.

Even the beleaguered GM, Mr. Pelinka, deserves a lot of credit for getting the AD deal done and filling out the roster with terrific veterans who are really doing a job. With an assist or more from Mr. R. Paul.

It's a real pleasure to watch this team so far.
MagicMamba88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

We are Doomed!!!

Sacramento 🎵 🎵

Knows how to party... Sacra-mento... knows how to party. In the city... of cow-bells.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

I still don't think we can beat the Clippers.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

assuming both teams are at full strength and that neither team improves its roster from here on out, I think we probably lose to them in 6 or 7

but the "full strength" thing for them is a huge caveat especially re: Kawhi
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:

assuming both teams are at full strength and that neither team improves its roster from here on out, I think we probably lose to them in 6 or 7

Kawhi will be just fine. The Clippers are feigning injury for him so that he only has to play 75% of the season. Come playoffs, he'll be at full strength. It's actually a brilliant strategy.

NBA WCF - Clippers v Lakers, Clippers in 5 (and I truly hate believing this)
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:

I don’t think Clips is done making moves. It’s always interesting when Logo trying to put pieces to his puzzle. Also he likes to move in silence.

With us . We have little flexibility. Only best option for is Buyout.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:

Kawhi will be just fine. The Clippers are feigning injury for him so that he only has to play 75% of the season. Come playoffs, he'll be at full strength. It's actually a brilliant strategy.

They are not trying to reinvent the wheel. They are doing what the Raptors did with Kawhi. They also did what SDSU did when they recruit Kawhi. They have a plan and executed it well.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:

idk - wasn't he limping around pretty badly by the end of the playoffs last year? yes, he has George with him this time around to pick up some of the slack but it's also that many more miles on his leg + it will likely be an overall tougher playoff run for him
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
troy wrote:

idk - wasn't he limping around pretty badly by the end of the playoffs last year? yes, he has George with him this time around to pick up some of the slack but it's also that many more miles on his leg + it will likely be an overall tougher playoff run for him

Yes, but he still won the series for the Raps, he averaged like 30ppg, and he was finals MVP. With sufficient rest, and with a hungry PG on his team, I don't see how they don't win.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

The First game of the Season we didn't have Rondo and Kuzma and they didn't have George. We were actually beating them badly to start the game off, but what killed us was the combination of an abnormally efficient night for Lou and the hustle of Harrell and Beverly.

I expect Dwight to be more of a presence against Harrell next time they meet. As for Lou, with George coming back, he won't have as many touches and regress back to the norm. Also I think AD has to guard one of Kawhi or George and take them off their game. Overall I like our chances next time.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers vs the Cream of the Crop

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

We are Doomed!!!

Exactly I mean it’s not like we are the best team in the league right now..oh wait...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
troy wrote:

The First game of the Season we didn't have Rondo and Kuzma and they didn't have George. We were actually beating them badly to start the game off, but what killed us was the combination of an abnormally efficient night for Lou and the hustle of Harrell and Beverly.

I expect Dwight to be more of a presence against Harrell next time they meet. As for Lou, with George coming back, he won't have as many touches and regress back to the norm. Also I think AD has to guard one of Kawhi or George and take them off their game. Overall I like our chances next time.

This. Dwight was pretty bad the first few games before he got his legs under him. Current Dwight is easily the match for Harrell.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I think almost every contender can argue they're not a finished product.

Clippers with Kawhi and PG
Celtics with Kemba and minus Heyward
Rockets w/ Russ
Utah w/ Conley (who also might be washed
Sixers w/ Horford and J. Rich
Blazers without Leonard or Nurkic and potential for a big trade (Simons or CJ)
Even Bucks w/ Giannis evolving as 3-point threat
Even Mavs getting KP going

Not like we're the only team making adjustments and waiting for some regression.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

^ No contender had as much of a turnover in their roster nor a complete overhaul of the coaching staff like the Lakers.

Our offense has been consistently improving since the start of the season. We're only scratching the surface.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ No contender had as much of a turnover in their roster nor a complete overhaul of the coaching staff like the Lakers.

Our offense has been consistently improving since the start of the season. We're only scratching the surface.

One thing I have been seeing in regards to our offense is the Lakers have increased pace and gotten more fast break points.

I think Rondo has helped with this. Prior to Rondo I think the Lakers were 2nd to last in fast break points. Don’t know what they are now but I am sure it’s improved.

And this make sense the Lakers should do this because of their super defense that means lots of turnovers and missed shots that can lead to easy transition baskets. And with all their 3 point shooters, Lebron, and AD that spells doom for other teams.

When the Lakers played the Clippers the first time it seemed like they wanted to play too much half course offense
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: