THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Mustaine wrote:
It's unbelievable how do you have a guy with 75%fg, with 7 ppg, and you just don't feed him. Why? Neither Rondo or Lebron are playing with Howard. The only guy who's passing the ball to Dwight is... KCP.

It's frustrating.

This type of thinking is exactly what will undermine Howard’s success. Once he starts thinking he “deserves more touches” is when the typical Howard crap will start.

He is doing exactly what he was supposed to do... play hard on defense, get rebounds, and be happy with a few dunks a game.

So far I have been pleasantly surprised he has been able to keep on that limited but important track. Every once in a while he starts to pound the ball and back down his defender and I cringe because it usually ends up stripped or a wild shot.

Howard’s biggest problem has always been his overblown sense of self. Followed by his immaturity when he didn’t get his way. Don’t encourage bad behavior! He is doing exactly what this team needs. I hope he can continue it all season long.

I can appreciate what the poster was saying based on DH's stats, but you are absolutely correct in reminding us of what clearly was the reason he was available:he was for so long viewed as childish, with an overblown sense of his offensive skill set, he had burned bridges, he knew that this was pretty much his last chance.

In his role, he's a force for us, but if he forces any other aspect of his game, like "I should have more touches" ish, the law firm of James, Davis, and Vogel will straighten him out quickly.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Mustaine wrote:
It's unbelievable how do you have a guy with 75%fg, with 7 ppg, and you just don't feed him. Why? Neither Rondo or Lebron are playing with Howard. The only guy who's passing the ball to Dwight is... KCP.

It's frustrating.

This type of thinking is exactly what will undermine Howard’s success. Once he starts thinking he “deserves more touches” is when the typical Howard crap will start.

He is doing exactly what he was supposed to do... play hard on defense, get rebounds, and be happy with a few dunks a game.

So far I have been pleasantly surprised he has been able to keep on that limited but important track. Every once in a while he starts to pound the ball and back down his defender and I cringe because it usually ends up stripped or a wild shot.

Howard’s biggest problem has always been his overblown sense of self. Followed by his immaturity when he didn’t get his way. Don’t encourage bad behavior! He is doing exactly what this team needs. I hope he can continue it all season long.

I can appreciate what the poster was saying based on DH's stats, but you are absolutely correct in reminding us of what clearly was the reason he was available:he was for so long viewed as childish, with an overblown sense of his offensive skill set, he had burned bridges, he knew that this was pretty much his last chance.

In his role, he's a force for us, but if he forces any other aspect of his game, like "I should have more touches" ish, the law firm of James, Davis, and Vogel will straighten him out quickly.

You know guys Dwight may actually prefer this role where he can overpower guys to get offensive rebounds. The reason Dwights fg percent is so high is because he is getting mostly dunks and layups after offensive rebounds or off pick and roll. If he posted up, it would be lower.

Plus I think Dwights contribution to the team is known by his teammates. I read in an interview with Davis that Dwights presence offensively helps him because he has a few guys around him.

And this is because teams are really concerned about his ability to rebound on offensive end. Vogel said one time this threat is similar to a 3 pointers threat to spread the floor because it keeps guys around the area and less willing to help on say Lebron and Davis.

So the current role Dwight has works great for the Lakers and I believe the plus minus of Lebron AD and Dwight is the best in the team.

My only taught is why not use him more minutes but perhaps Vogel is reserving this till the end of the season make sure Dwight doesn’t get burned out.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Mustaine wrote:

It's frustrating.

You know guys Dwight may actually prefer this role where he can overpower guys to get offensive rebounds. The reason Dwights fg percent is so high is because he is getting mostly dunks and layups after offensive rebounds or off pick and roll. If he posted up, it would be lower.

Plus I think Dwights contribution to the team is known by his teammates. I read in an interview with Davis that Dwights presence offensively helps him because he has a few guys around him.

And this is because teams are really concerned about his ability to rebound on offensive end. Vogel said one time this threat is similar to a 3 pointers threat to spread the floor because it keeps guys around the area and less willing to help on say Lebron and Davis.

So the current role Dwight has works great for the Lakers and I believe the plus minus of Lebron AD and Dwight is the best in the team.

My only taught is why not use him more minutes but perhaps Vogel is reserving this till the end of the season make sure Dwight doesn’t get burned out.

Basically, our point is that he did not "prefer" this role before this point in his career. If he had embraced this role in his first tour with us he might not have left. We appreciate him, a lot, love what he brings now, but he had to learn to embrace this role.

He even recently referred to his role now as his "purpose". Good for him, and great for us.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Absolutely love his play so far and all ready to forgive lol.

Why does it seem to me that rebounds seem to seek and stick to Howard's hands (even when he doesn't jump), but like to pop out of Javale's (even when he jumps the highest)?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Can't he start... Even he he splits starts with javale? Dude's like a Ferrari driving in a school zone. Pedal to the metal y'all!
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Dwight is happy with his role, let’s leave it at that unless, or until he says otherwise. If a poster suggests that he should get more touches, that’s his opinion and not Dwight’s.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Can't he start... Even he he splits starts with javale? Dude's like a Ferrari driving in a school zone. Pedal to the metal y'all!

Been thinking about this for a while. Truth is Dwight plays more minutes than McGee so he really is the main guy a center. My guess they start him because if they did, he would have to play perhaps 25 plus minutes and it’s unsure if he can do that at a nightly basis and playing 20 minutes allows him to be aggressive without worrying about fouling out
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Dwight needs to shot more....
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

AD having some fun with Dwight

From Reddit:

https://streamable.com/a2z2e
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
AD having some fun with Dwight

From Reddit:

https://streamable.com/a2z2e

Have a good time
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dwight needs to shot more....

Nah, let LeBron, AD then KCP/Kuz/Caruso eat then the kick out to 3 pt shooters DG/Cook/Daniel then pick n roll for Dwight/JaVale
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Mustaine wrote:

It's frustrating.

Because once you start feeding him, that efficiency will go down, and his energy will as well.

It’s perfect the way it is.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't care if he starts or comes off the bench, but I do think he has earned more minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard enjoys coming off the bench

Quote:
Dwight Howard getting to observe what the game might need from him when it enters it has made him a better player.
He seems to really be reveling in his new role for the Lakers.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/11/27/20986182/lakers-news-dwight-howard-enjoys-bench-role-defense-fouls-stats-spectrum-sportsnet-backstage
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Dwight Howard enjoys coming off the bench

Quote:
Dwight Howard getting to observe what the game might need from him when it enters it has made him a better player.
He seems to really be reveling in his new role for the Lakers.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/11/27/20986182/lakers-news-dwight-howard-enjoys-bench-role-defense-fouls-stats-spectrum-sportsnet-backstage

this guy... he got KCP uplifted, took Lakers staff out for movie outings, cheering for teammates... kudos Dwight, might be my fav player to cheer right now
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Another solid game tonight. 9 pts, 7 boards , 1 blk - great team defense in the second half. He is becoming a linchpin of our second unit. So happy to see his resurgence and his great attitude about it. Let's keep it up.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

He was a highlight machine tonight. Love this guy

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

Had a couple of not so great games before this one. Glad to see him back to making a difference.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

Dwight Howard is a major weapon on offense still, that we do not really exploit. It will help us as teams really are not scheming for him. We need to find a way to get him involved more as it will only make our 2nd unit more competent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

What Howard is doing is exactly what he and the Lakers need at this point. Rebound and play defense with a few lobs and putbacks off rebounds. Perfect role IMO.

Frankly I’m surprised he has embraced it as he has. Credit to him for doing so. My guess is he will have some big game opportunities as injuries or games off occur. Hopefully he can take advantage of the moment and then accept the lesser role when needed.

Only issue I have is with his silly fouls. But I’m nitpicking. Keep it up Howard. I like being proven wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Dwight Howard is a major weapon on offense still, that we do not really exploit. It will help us as teams really are not scheming for him. We need to find a way to get him involved more as it will only make our 2nd unit more competent.

It’s actually a good thing since that would be playing into the opponent’s hands. If I’m a coach playing against the Lakers I would love to see them trying to feed Howard in the post.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

It’s actually a good thing since that would be playing into the opponent’s hands. If I’m a coach playing against the Lakers I would love to see them trying to feed Howard in the post.

Agreed. He's perfect in his role right now feasting on lobs and put-backs.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Dwight has a chance to pass George Johnson and Manute Bol to be top 15 all time in blocks this season.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Any chance this guy can guard Kawhi in the playoffs? He’s still pretty athletic despite his age and Kawhi isn’t the quickest guy. It seems like anytime someone tries to take Dwight off the dribble, he ends up forcing the player to take a tough shot, blocking it or forcing a pass.
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Dang that elevation, Dwight!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 92 of 137
Jump to: