Vogel - Great Job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Has this article been discussed yet?

https://theathletic.com/1407719/2019/11/25/a-family-approach-the-lakers-are-rolling-and-to-the-surprise-of-many-their-coaching-staff-is-making-it-all-work/

Great read if you can access it. Vogel seems to have buy-in from all the vets, and the coaches are all working well together (even if they do all want to be head coaches again soon).

Some snippets:

Quote:
Rajon Rondo ... who has had his share of run-ins with coaches in the past and who – as it turns out – wants to be a head coach someday…

“The biggest thing is that we’re all bought in. You get the team to that, and that’s over half the battle. …I’m always trying to (absorb) and learn. I always have an open mind, just to figure out people’s different philosophies. ... I came in with an open mind listening to what he has to say and his philosophies, and I couldn’t agree with him more – 100 percent. What I love most about him is how he teaches in the film room.

“He calls guys out. He teaches the right way, with constructive criticism. And like I said, the guys are so receptive...

“If you can talk to (LeBron as the coach), you can talk to anybody. (Vogel’s) delivery, his communication, is great...

Quote:
Avery Bradley, the Lakers’ 28-year-old guard who has been a member of the NBA’s all-defense teams twice ...

"I've never had a coach teach (like this) and feel comfortable enough to teach guys stuff they can improve on the defensive end. Like (Lakers center) Dwight (Howard at a recent practice), he’s showing how he can help our team by not fouling as much on certain plays. And he’s been doing that for everybody...

We’re doing the same thing on the offensive end. We have a great coach in Frank and Jason Kidd. Those guys are talking to us all the time, so we’re improving every single day. When our offense catches up? It’ll be scary."

Quote:
Jared Dudley, the 34-year-old forward who is playing in his 13th season...

"Some people might be saying (Kidd) is gunning for his job, (but) I see a family approach. I see them laughing. I see Vogel laughing with Kidd and Lionel Hollins. You see how they all have their own role... Obviously Vogel’s a big defensive guy, (so) you have (him) breaking down the opponents. Phil Handy (who is very popular among NBA stars and who took part in the last five Finals), going over certain personnel...

“I think that (Kidd) is more keen to listen (in this role compared to the Bucks). The first thing he ever told me was like, man, ‘Phil Handy’s really good.’ That was the first thing he even told me...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Man, Vogel and the staff was such a huge question mark for many of us. Count them along with Dwight, Bradley and a slew of others that are exceeding expectations.

Hope he's with us for a long period.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^^ Man, Vogel and the staff was such a huge question mark for many of us. Count them along with Dwight, Bradley and a slew of others that are exceeding expectations.

Hope he's with us for a long period.

A lot of people in the NBA are all talk. 2019 Vogel and 2019 Dwight aren’t one of them.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Everyone the Lakers poached from the Orlando Magic:

1. Shaq
2. Dwight
3. Ariza
4. Vogel

Anyone else?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:

https://theathletic.com/1407719/2019/11/25/a-family-approach-the-lakers-are-rolling-and-to-the-surprise-of-many-their-coaching-staff-is-making-it-all-work/

Great read if you can access it. Vogel seems to have buy-in from all the vets, and the coaches are all working well together (even if they do all want to be head coaches again soon).

Some snippets:

Quote:
Rajon Rondo ... who has had his share of run-ins with coaches in the past and who – as it turns out – wants to be a head coach someday…

“The biggest thing is that we’re all bought in. You get the team to that, and that’s over half the battle. …I’m always trying to (absorb) and learn. I always have an open mind, just to figure out people’s different philosophies. ... I came in with an open mind listening to what he has to say and his philosophies, and I couldn’t agree with him more – 100 percent. What I love most about him is how he teaches in the film room.

“He calls guys out. He teaches the right way, with constructive criticism. And like I said, the guys are so receptive...

“If you can talk to (LeBron as the coach), you can talk to anybody. (Vogel’s) delivery, his communication, is great...

Quote:
Avery Bradley, the Lakers’ 28-year-old guard who has been a member of the NBA’s all-defense teams twice ...

"I've never had a coach teach (like this) and feel comfortable enough to teach guys stuff they can improve on the defensive end. Like (Lakers center) Dwight (Howard at a recent practice), he’s showing how he can help our team by not fouling as much on certain plays. And he’s been doing that for everybody...

We’re doing the same thing on the offensive end. We have a great coach in Frank and Jason Kidd. Those guys are talking to us all the time, so we’re improving every single day. When our offense catches up? It’ll be scary."

Quote:

"Some people might be saying (Kidd) is gunning for his job, (but) I see a family approach. I see them laughing. I see Vogel laughing with Kidd and Lionel Hollins. You see how they all have their own role... Obviously Vogel’s a big defensive guy, (so) you have (him) breaking down the opponents. Phil Handy (who is very popular among NBA stars and who took part in the last five Finals), going over certain personnel...

“I think that (Kidd) is more keen to listen (in this role compared to the Bucks). The first thing he ever told me was like, man, ‘Phil Handy’s really good.’ That was the first thing he even told me...

Gentry(After Suns HC stint) and Luke got head coaching jobs due to Warriors success. So easiest way for Kidd to get a head coaching job in the NBA is by helping Lakers achieve success by doing his job well as an assistant and he seems to have the right attitude so far.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I say this every chance :
Vogel made hibbert an all star.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:

Some snippets:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:

1. Shaq
2. Dwight
3. Ariza
4. Vogel

Anyone else?

Shaw and Grant were once Magics. We didn't directly poach them from ORL, I don't think. Jerry West did try to poach Ho from the Bulls before he signed with ORL in 94 tho. I remember Ho making a point to publicly thank the Lakers org and he said it was yeah close his decision. Of course, he winds up winning that title with Shaq on the Lakers, not the Magic.

Fun bit: 1990 game at ORL, Magic and Woolridge are the two stars of the game so KCAL puts up an "ORLANDO : MAGIC" split screen with stats.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

Some snippets:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Rondo
Daniels
Green
Kuzma
Davis

I like it but i think i rather have Caruso there instead of rondo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:

1. Shaq
2. Dwight
3. Ariza
4. Vogel

Anyone else?

One of those is not like the others
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

This picture shows how Vogel's closing lineup gave AD so much space to work with

https://twitter.com/AnthonyIrwinLA/status/1199169667702542336
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Getting Vogel was a god sent
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Seems Luke was all talk with no respect from vets. Vogel is proving he knows how to coach and has their attention. He was put in a tough spot being a lowly paid third choice. He wants to prove himself like the players on the team who still have something to prove like dh, bradley, lbj, ad.
Cassano18
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject:

Only thing I'm not happy about him that he still can't use Danny Green's shooting skills properly. No plays for him, no proper screens, nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject:

Cassano18 wrote:
Only thing I'm not happy about him that he still can't use Danny Green's shooting skills properly. No plays for him, no proper screens, nothing.

Yeah. Defense, lineups, timely timeouts, motivating players, etc. He does a lot of things well. The one missing piece is a great offensive mind on his staff so we can use AD and our shooters more effectively.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

sup with the first half defense against these buster teams last 2 weeks or so, they dropping 50-60 points on us then we clamped them in the 4th... need to be tighter out the gate
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Cassano18 wrote:

Yeah. Defense, lineups, timely timeouts, motivating players, etc. He does a lot of things well. The one missing piece is a great offensive mind on his staff so we can use AD and our shooters more effectively.

I love that our players are buying in as well.
Coach asks for at least 5 3PT attempts a game for AD. And he gives us 6 3PT attempts/game at a 45% clip.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

Committed to defense ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5bLNo-F429/?igshid=gtgfg2l61ggw
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

He's a Wildcat.

#WeAreUK
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Still don’t like the offensive game plan, hopefully it is something that is evolving. Take what we are doing now into the playoffs and any team with length can take us out. Love the defensive pressure, if only he can wean himself from his Rondo crutch.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

its nice knowing we have a coach to rely on!! unlike some!!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

That article makes sense. From watching Backstage and just seeing how they play defense, I got the impression that Vogel is a great teacher. You hardly see any of our players bite on pump fakes or just get completely lost on a rotation. He seems invested in teaching the fundamentals almost like he has a young team instead of a group of vets.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I think this sequence earned him LeBron and the whole locker room's respect:
Quote:
Re-watching Lakers vs Pelicans, KCP's foul on Ingram-

Vogel to KCP (deciding whether to challenge): "Tell me the (effing) truth". Lebron & KCP say no foul, challenge it.

"They never gonna make that call, they don't want to be wrong. They never gonna overturn it. Ever. Ever."

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Lane/status/1200534526847406080?s=19
Quote:
1. Good on Vogel to go to trust his player to make the decision w/out the heat of the moment clouding judgment

2. If what LeBron is implying is accurate, that refs allow the wrong call to stand bc they don't want to admit an error, that's a problem. Call was clearly incorrect

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Lane/status/1200535920367173632?s=19
Quote:
That said, other sports see calls overturned regularly by replay. In a sport that moves this fast sometimes it's impossible for the eye to detect what happened. No shame, IMO, in changing it. If anything, it's far worse on the ref NOT to change it when it's obvious on review

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Lane/status/1200536756690378753?s=19
Quote:
So it's an interesting concept, are refs reluctant to overturn a call after video review bc they feel it would equate to admitting a mistake? Or is the standard to overturn a call set too high? Something needs tweaking in the challenge system

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Lane/status/1200537113839562752?s=19

Immediately he (correctly) challenged the call. Why? Because he didn't really see it, yet trusted his players. This sequence is gonna go a long way towards the Laker players trusting him. I think they will play hard for him.

When I saw that sequence, I smiled. For the first time since Phil, we got ourselves a coach, LG.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Lebron hasn’t shoulder bumped him yet. That’s all you need to know.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27
Jump to: