Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject:

I have been thinking most of the season that AD hasn't been used as efficiently as he could be on offense. Always kinda worried in the back of my head of AD staying happy this season. To AD's credit he said it didn't matter that all he cared about was winning.

So with the Lakers winning it becomes easy for coaches to stay comfortable with what they are doing. I am so glad that Frank Vogel didn't just sit back and relax. He said after the last game that he needed to get AD better looks on offense and it showed in the very next game.

Very happy with Vogel overall this season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I have been thinking most of the season that AD hasn't been used as efficiently as he could be on offense. Always kinda worried in the back of my head of AD staying happy this season. To AD's credit he said it didn't matter that all he cared about was winning.

So with the Lakers winning it becomes easy for coaches to stay comfortable with what they are doing. I am so glad that Frank Vogel didn't just sit back and relax. He said after the last game that he needed to get AD better looks on offense and it showed in the very next game.

It helped that AD finally hit his 3s today
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
eureca wrote:

It helped that AD finally hit his 3s today

Yeah, not much change really in his shots this last game. He was just hitting those 3's and mid range jumpers.

Our offense will continue to evolve as the season goes on though.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Loved how they trapped Jru in the 2nd half. Only 4 points in the 2nd half.
Loved how he limited Rondo's minutes when Rondo was playing poorly.
That zone call on the last play was interesting.
Loved how he subbed for LeBron when the pels were shooting FTs for LeBron's first rest in the 4th. Then called a time out when they crossed half court to give LeBron more rest.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject:

^ yeah that little LeBron sub and timeout was sneaky good to get him a quick breather.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Loved how he subbed for LeBron when the pels were shooting FTs for LeBron's first rest in the 4th. Then called a time out when they crossed half court to give LeBron more rest.

Noticed the same.

Love how he stays calm. Even down big never panics. Gives every player some leeway, but then goes with the ones he knows are playing their best.

Bringing in Kuzma again last 2:30 in the game. Dwight was bummed. However, Kuzma hit a big 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Just Hide Rondos uniform and shoes until garbage time and we good fam
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
epak wrote:

Noticed the same.

Love how he stays calm. Even down big never panics. Gives every player some leeway, but then goes with the ones he knows are playing their best.

Bringing in Kuzma again last 2:30 in the game. Dwight was bummed. However, Kuzma hit a big 3.

The squad comes out of halftime motivated and prepared on the regular this year. Vogel's doing a great job with that.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Love how he called KCP over before he made his challenge:

"Tell me the (bleep) truth"

And KCP was telling the (bleep) truth

Can we sign Vogel to a 10 year contract please?
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

We almost lost out on this beautiful coach for Nick Van Exel's "replacement"
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if his salary gets renegotiated
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

“Coach talked about it today about the way we played in New Orleans, our defense was kind of bad. We don’t need a loss to redeem ourselves or a loss to try to pick it back up. Let’s do it with a win, and we did that tonight.”

- Anthony Davis

Love it.
Phil was great. But what he would have done is actually let the team lose to prove a point. I couldn't stand losing, especially to just make a point. I think the players are experienced enough to stay humble and not get complacent.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Frank Vogel = Bill Sharman
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

I think Frank is a much better leader than TyLue would have been.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

“Coach talked about it today about the way we played in New Orleans, our defense was kind of bad. We don’t need a loss to redeem ourselves or a loss to try to pick it back up. Let’s do it with a win, and we did that tonight.”

- Anthony Davis

Love it.
Phil was great. But what he would have done is actually let the team lose to prove a point. I couldn't stand losing, especially to just make a point. I think the players are experienced enough to stay humble and not get complacent.

That quote stood out to me for the exact same reason. Shows that Vogel has this team's full attention.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

- Anthony Davis

Love it.

I love to hear about and see this kind of commitment to defense from on of our superstars. Great chemistry between our players and staff.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

- Anthony Davis

Love it.

"And yet as a coach, I know that being fixated on winning (or more likely, not losing) is counterproductive, especially when it causes you to lose control of your emotions. What’s more, obsessing about winning is a loser’s game: The most we can hope for is to create the best possible conditions for success, then let go of the outcome. The ride is a lot more fun that way." -Phil Jackson

Phil was Buddhist and tried to instill the philosophy of "being in the moment" with his players. It was a completely different approach but when you have high IQ players it can work. He took joy in watching his players "figure it out". It's hard to argue with the results.

I question whether that would work today with the pace that teams are playing at though. If you wait too long in the current NBA the game can get away from you pretty fast. Vogel makes quick adjustments and I find it refreshing. Especially when the players are bought in.

I think for any coach just getting the players to buy in is half the battle. Phil did it over his hall of fame career and Vogel has been able to put his imprint on his teams as well. That is one thing the two of them have in common.

After that it's a matter of strategy and tactics, an area that, dare I say, Vogel seems superior to Phil. I saw Phil more as an emotional/spiritual leader for the team who guided them on a journey. His in-game adjustments were not bad, but didn't have immediate results like we're seeing with this team.

To be fair, that was likely more by design (letting his players fail so he can build them up again). I thought Phil was a masterful coach in the playoffs where he didn't hesitate to make quicker decisions. I thought his coaching against the Suns with the Kobe/KWA-MAY Lakers was some of the best coaching of his career.

I'm not putting Frank in the same class as Phil by any means. He has to prove it in high pressure playoff games before he even enters that conversation. Phil used the regular season as a ramp before launching into the playoffs. It worked for him. We have yet to see if Frank can go the distance with his approach.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
"And yet as a coach, I know that being fixated on winning (or more likely, not losing) is counterproductive, especially when it causes you to lose control of your emotions. What’s more, obsessing about winning is a loser’s game: The most we can hope for is to create the best possible conditions for success, then let go of the outcome. The ride is a lot more fun that way." -Phil Jackson

Phil was Buddhist and tried to instill the philosophy of "being in the moment" with his players. It was a completely different approach but when you have high IQ players it can work. He took joy in watching his players "figure it out". It's hard to argue with the results.

I question whether that would work today with the pace that teams are playing at though. If you wait too long in the current NBA the game can get away from you pretty fast. Vogel makes quick adjustments and I find it refreshing. Especially when the players are bought in.

I think for any coach just getting the players to buy in is half the battle. Phil did it over his hall of fame career and Vogel has been able to put his imprint on his teams as well. That is one thing the two of them have in common.

After that it's a matter of strategy and tactics, an area that, dare I say, Vogel seems superior to Phil. I saw Phil more as an emotional/spiritual leader for the team who guided them on a journey. His in-game adjustments were not bad, but didn't have immediate results like we're seeing with this team.

To be fair, that was likely more by design (letting his players fail so he can build them up again). I thought Phil was a masterful coach in the playoffs where he didn't hesitate to make quicker decisions. I thought his coaching against the Suns with the Kobe/KWA-MAY Lakers was some of the best coaching of his career.

I'm not putting Frank in the same class as Phil by any means. He has to prove it in high pressure playoff games before he even enters that conversation. Phil used the regular season as a ramp before launching into the playoffs. It worked for him. We have yet to see if Frank can go the distance with his approach.

Great points about Phil.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
Quote:
Harrison Faigen
@hmfaigen

Frank Vogel was talking about what the Lakers need to improve on, and he offered a critique of himself as well:

"I've got to continue to work on making things easier for Anthony. He's having to create on his own too much, and we need to get him the basketball more in movement."

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1196559984902848515

This is what I like to hear from our coach!

Vogel turned out to be the perfect coach for this team.Who would have thought.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
818fan wrote:
Quote:
Harrison Faigen
@hmfaigen

Frank Vogel was talking about what the Lakers need to improve on, and he offered a critique of himself as well:

"I've got to continue to work on making things easier for Anthony. He's having to create on his own too much, and we need to get him the basketball more in movement."

LINDA!!!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Great points about Phil.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
818fan wrote:
Quote:
Harrison Faigen
@hmfaigen

LINDA!!!

Love that we're winning.
The Rambises haters, Rob haters and Jeannie haters are keeping their traps shut. Only traps we need to worry about are "trap" games
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Frank Vogel = Bill Sharman

Luke = Bill Russell (as coach)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

- Anthony Davis

Love it.

That quote stood out to me for the exact same reason. Shows that Vogel has this team's full attention.

Vogz calls mo' breaking timeouts. Phil and his son = figure it out, no timeouts for you! Deficit goes from 5 to 15 in a few minutes...
malcolm
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

The relevant question is: What is basketball primarily about (?)

If you don't think it's primarily about winning . . . then Phil Jackson
is your favorite coach.

I'm one of those: a fan more interested in how things happen with
players than the win/loss results . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 83 of 224
Jump to: