ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Username wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
drae wrote:
Kawhi Leonard stats, year by year

2011 - Field goal percentage 49.3%, three point percentage 37.6%
2012 - Field goal percentage 49.3%, three point percentage 37.4%
2013 - Field goal percentage 52.2%, three point percentage 37.9%
2014 - Field goal percentage 47.9%, three point percentage 34.9%
2015 - Field goal percentage 50.6%, three point percentage 44.3%
2016 - Field goal percentage 48.5%, three point percentage 38.0%
2017 - Field goal percentage 46.8%, three point percentage 31.4%
2018 - Field goal percentage 48.6%, three point percentage 37.1%
2019 - Field goal percentage 43.5%, three point percentage 30.1%

If this keeps are these are career lows

I hope to see that version of Kawhi in this year's playoffs.

What do you guys think is going on? Time to warmup and play with Clippers? Or really isn’t as good as people taught? Or even injury issues?

Perhaps thank god Lakers didn’t get him

Kawhi is as good as advertised, but the unavoidable fact is that his body is rapidly breaking down on him, and he's only 28. Makes it all the more remarkable what LeBron has done, and is doing at almost 35.

Also think he's given free rein to chuck it in a way he hasn't before. This team kowtow'd to him.

Jesus this is that degenerative condition people been talking about. Seems like the Clippers were foolish to give him a max contract with this risk and the Lakers dodged a bullet. Time will tell but Kawhi saying no to the Lakers may have been the best dumb luck that happened to the Lakers
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, he looks to be wearing down faster then anyone expected. Wasn't it the Celtics game where he was playing after 7-9 days of rest? He still looked like a 45 year old man out there. Unless things change drastically idk if they can play him super heavy minutes and every single game like the Raptors did last season once the post season started. If that's the case the Clippers might not even make it deep enough to play us.

Still to early to make any definitive claims but i'd def. be worried as a Clippers fan for this season and especially the future seasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Clippers are smart, they know in a matchup with the Lakers in the playoffs, they will play 7 road games anyways, so why not load management

lmao exactly nobody likes their ass in the city!!!

Its funny everyone in LA telling me this (and being born and raised in LA i know this) but Im currently in NYC and if you go by the media you would think its 50/50 split in the city.

Ballmer's money can buy a lot it seems ...

A lot more than STAY billboards. An injury attorney actually had to pay for the Lebron billboards. Sad that so many can’t see how poor this ownership is.

If you think those billboards or any Clippers' basketball advertising made a difference, may I interest you in some Martian farmland? I'll throw in some free snake oil and divining rods so you can locate water.

Clippers advertising? Totally not on point.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject:

It's become hilarious watching Green, KCP etc just fly at guys and dare them to attack the rim against AD

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1201023819860758528
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Clippers are smart, they know in a matchup with the Lakers in the playoffs, they will play 7 road games anyways, so why not load management

lmao exactly nobody likes their ass in the city!!!

Its funny everyone in LA telling me this (and being born and raised in LA i know this) but Im currently in NYC and if you go by the media you would think its 50/50 split in the city.

Ballmer's money can buy a lot it seems ...

A lot more than STAY billboards. An injury attorney actually had to pay for the Lebron billboards. Sad that so many can’t see how poor this ownership is.

If you think those billboards or any Clippers' basketball advertising made a difference, may I interest you in some Martian farmland? I'll throw in some free snake oil and divining rods so you can locate water.

Clippers advertising? Totally not on point.

Ballmer's trite "LA Our Way" slogan is everywhere in the Basin and the Valley right now, in case you haven't been down the 101 recently. What else has he bought that was supposed to make a difference? Announcing the move to Inglewood is a gamble, mass transit doesn't really go there directly from most sections of Los Angeles. Even with perfect connections, it's about an hour from Hollywood, and that's not the end of it. The nearest rail stop is nearly 2 miles away in downtown Inglewood (opening next year), and requires at least 2 transfers if you're coming from the Valley or Hollywood/Beverly Hills/most of West LA. But hey, the WiFi will be excellent.

Not sure what you meant by the LeBron billboards, those were up before he signed, so yes...someone else did have to pay for them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

With the way Raptors are playing without Kawhi, does no one even think for a moment that maybe Kawhi's impact on a team is overrated? The Cavs without Lebron folded into lottery and bad. Raptors lost Kawhi for nothing and remain elite.

With Kawhi the Clippers have gone from a lower playoff seed to a 4th/5th seed and even added Paul George into that mix.

At some point, people need to start realizing that Kawhi was an amazing closer for the Raptors and fit for them, but he is not the franchise guy. He did not carry any team for a long period and can not do that. He is an elite closer and elite talent. However lets see if the Clippers have the sort of talent the Raps did. Looking at both teams, one thing that sticks out to me is that the Clippers are nowhere near as big and talented at C-PF the way Toronto was. Pascal, Marc Gasol, Ibaka. Come one dude, that's major league bigman talent there. The Clippers are going to be very good and a threat, but I think the Raptors were the much better fit and team for Kawhi. If he were about winning, he would have joined us or stayed a Raptor.

That Raptor team looks like with Kawhi they could have won another title this year. Look at what that Raptor team did to us without Kawhi. I was much more impressed with the Raptors than I was with the Clippers so far this year. To me, Clippers are more hype than substance. They may become the best at some point, but I don't see it personally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
With the way Raptors are playing without Kawhi, does no one even think for a moment that maybe Kawhi's impact on a team is overrated? The Cavs without Lebron folded into lottery and bad. Raptors lost Kawhi for nothing and remain elite.

With Kawhi the Clippers have gone from a lower playoff seed to a 4th/5th seed and even added Paul George into that mix.

At some point, people need to start realizing that Kawhi was an amazing closer for the Raptors and fit for them, but he is not the franchise guy. He did not carry any team for a long period and can not do that. He is an elite closer and elite talent. However lets see if the Clippers have the sort of talent the Raps did. Looking at both teams, one thing that sticks out to me is that the Clippers are nowhere near as big and talented at C-PF the way Toronto was. Pascal, Marc Gasol, Ibaka. Come one dude, that's major league bigman talent there. The Clippers are going to be very good and a threat, but I think the Raptors were the much better fit and team for Kawhi. If he were about winning, he would have joined us or stayed a Raptor.

That Raptor team looks like with Kawhi they could have won another title this year. Look at what that Raptor team did to us without Kawhi. I was much more impressed with the Raptors than I was with the Clippers so far this year. To me, Clippers are more hype than substance. They may become the best at some point, but I don't see it personally.

It's def. true. It was the same kind of story with the Spurs as well, that MVP could have gone to someone else very easily. I still hear people talking about him clamping down Lebron in that series but he still had damn near video game level stats put on him.

Like you said, he is obviously an elite closer but never once proved to be a true franchise player over an extended period of time (and probably never will).. Even last year he was very good in the regular season but hardly anyone was talking about him being the best player in the NBA until the Playoffs started and turned it up a few notches.

I thought he was overplaying the whole rest thing but watching most of the games so far this season it's very real. He already looks like a grizzled vet at the end of his career a good amount of the time and it's barely over a month into the season and he's missed a ton of games and practices already.

I also hear people talking about how the Clippers are "doing it the right way" by resting and playing for the post season but if they end up with a lower seed they could end up having a first round matchup on the road against the Nuggets or Mavericks level team then have to play someone like the Rockets on the road all before possibly meeting up with us in the WCF if they can even get that far. I highly doubt they blow by any of those teams, especially on the road so that could mean nearly no rest whatsoever for both George and Kawhi.

No question the road to the finals would have been much easier on the Raps. I honestly believe he knew he needed that second super star to help him out because he wouldn't get as lucky with another injury riddled opponent but sometimes the grass isn't greener especially with how Pascal is looking this season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

To be fair, MJ’s team went to Eastern conference finals game 7
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

We won't know Kawhi's impact on either team until the postseason. The Raptors have been a great regular season team for years, even with Demar as their franchise guy. No need for Kawhi to help with that. But they would always choke in the playoffs until he got there. If he manages to turn it on the way he did during last year's playoffs, then he is not overrated.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:

I also hear people talking about how the Clippers are "doing it the right way" by resting and playing for the post season but if they end up with a lower seed they could end up having a first round matchup on the road against the Nuggets or Mavericks level team then have to play someone like the Rockets on the road all before possibly meeting up with us in the WCF if they can even get that far. I highly doubt they blow by any of those teams, especially on the road so that could mean nearly no rest whatsoever for both George and Kawhi.

I can stand that talk from supposedly intellegent people who rely on metrics. Here's a metric for you. The NBA has the largest home court advantage of any pofessional sporting league. Home teams win about 60 percent of their regular season games and it increases to 74 percent (from the 2009 to the 2018 Playoffs, the team with the home-court advantage has won the series 111 out of a possible 150 times) in the playoffs. The Home team has won 70% of NBA Finals rounds over that period, and 75 percent of Game 7's in any round.

The idea that it doesn't matter what seed you are as long as you are "healthy" by the playoffs isn't born out by reality. And people need to stop repeating it.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2019/Quantifying-the-Home-Court-Advantage-in-the-NBA-Playoffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

No, I watched every game of the playoffs and Kawhi was pretty amazing for Toronto.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

LAII wrote:

I can stand that talk from supposedly intellegent people who rely on metrics. Here's a metric for you. The NBA has the largest home court advantage of any pofessional sporting league. Home teams win about 60 percent of their regular season games and it increases to 74 percent (from the 2009 to the 2018 Playoffs, the team with the home-court advantage has won the series 111 out of a possible 150 times) in the playoffs. The Home team has won 70% of NBA Finals rounds over that period, and 75 percent of Game 7's in any round.

The idea that it doesn't matter what seed you are as long as you are "healthy" by the playoffs isn't born out by reality. And people need to stop repeating it.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2019/Quantifying-the-Home-Court-Advantage-in-the-NBA-Playoffs

Some good info. Thanks.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

I found it interesting the way the Lakers approached and executed in AD's return to New Orleans contrasted with Kawhi's return to San Antonio. The Clippers just don't have the same type of chemistry or cohesion on and off the court and that was the main reason I wasn't too high on them going into the season.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

$125 to see the Lakers, $8 to see the Clippers.

Sounds about right.

Pic from reddit:

https://i.redd.it/8m3fgskrj2241.jpg
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

FOR

REAL
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

FOR

REAL

It also points to the joke the NBA refs are compared to the rest of the major sports- why should a home team have any advantage?
It's a joke.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

FOR

REAL

It also points to the joke the NBA refs are compared to the rest of the major sports- why should a home team have any advantage?
It's a joke.

The energy of a crowd makes a huge difference, too.
But yeah...NBA refs suck Lol
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

Yep, this is easily forgotten. Toronto was number 2 in the NBA. So getting number 1 seed or at least close is important.

Side note. Actually believe or not, soccer has a greatest home advantage of about 68 percent home teams win follows by basketball than football, baseball about 52 percent.

Another side note. There is this study that says it’s linked to refs. Refs are more likely to give calls to home team unconsciously they love to hear the cheer of the crowd. This is evidenced by soccer his most latitude on ref calls followed by basketball Like charge versus block, goal tend vs block..baseball has less latitude thus the trend above

Lastly they also found that soccer teams that have the crowd closer to the field/game have even greater home advantage. Again believed because the roar of the crowd is louder giving refs more “incentive” unconsciously to favor the home team.

Last edited by lar9149 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

We match-up pretty good with the Clippers. They don't have any stretch bigs. Just need AB to slow down Lou Will.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

Yep, this is easily forgotten. Toronto was number 2 in the NBA. So getting number 1 seed or at least close is important.

Side note. Actually believe or not, soccer has a greatest home advantage of about 68 percent home teams win follows by basketball than football, baseball about 52 percent.

Another side note. There is this study that says it’s linked to refs. Refs are more likely to give calls to home team unconsciously they love to hear the cheer of the crowd. This is evidenced by soccer his most latitude on ref calls followed by basketball Like charge versus block, goal tend vs block..baseball has less latitude thus the trend above

Lastly they also found that soccer teams that have the crowd closer to the field/game have even greater home advantage. Again believed because the roar of the crowd is louder giving refs more “incentive” unconsciously to favor the home team.

If it affects the refs that much, how about the players?
Pretty sure they wanna hear those cheers too. Most players perform better in their building/stadium/field. It’s not merely the refs, is all I’m sayin
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
LAII wrote:
hype wrote:

If it affects the refs that much, how about the players?
Pretty sure they wanna hear those cheers too. Most players perform better in their building/stadium/field. It’s not merely the refs, is all I’m sayin

Agreed
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

It's a marketing tool.

Why go to a game that the home team doesn't have a coin flip's chance to win? Home cooking is good business. So is "crafting" a game so that there are fewer blowouts against the home team early.
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Home court advantage has a lot to do with habituation. Optical cues are different in each arena, so you are naturally more accustomed to your own and tend to perform better there. In soccer, the fields additionally differ in length and width from arena to arena, thus enhancing the effect.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Biggest factor imo is the role players. Historically, role players perform better at home.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:
Home court advantage has a lot to do with habituation. Optical cues are different in each arena, so you are naturally more accustomed to your own and tend to perform better there. In soccer, the fields additionally differ in length and width from arena to arena, thus enhancing the effect.

The fields aren’t standard in their dimensions? I hadn’t ever heard that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 58 of 439
Jump to: