Vogel - Great Job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Still don’t like the offensive game plan, hopefully it is something that is evolving. Take what we are doing now into the playoffs and any team with length can take us out. Love the defensive pressure, if only he can wean himself from his Rondo crutch.

Our offense is still stagnant. Whenever we don't have anything we take too long to get into our offense and run action with a purpose.

In the NO game there was too much standing around when AD had the ball in the post. It almost felt like I had taken a time machine back to the 90s.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

The best Lakers coach since Phil.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

From a couple of the posts on the last page, it sounds like Vogel is a sound leader.

From the leadership books I've read, a sound leader not only knows how to follow (when needed), but he encourages input from others and creates a culture or community where he shows his people that he cares about them and that he's there to serve them and not himself.

That's what Phil did here during the Kobe era. Sounds like maybe Vogel is a strong servant leader.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure why Vogel decided to play Cook major minutes last night, but his instinct seems to be pretty good.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
I'm not sure why Vogel decided to play Cook major minutes last night, but his instinct seems to be pretty good.

This is exactly what we’ve been missing since Phil. Certain coaches just have a feel for their which supporting cast will have a big game
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

This is exactly what we’ve been missing since Phil. Certain coaches just have a feel for their which supporting cast will have a big game

Its called putting your players in a position to succeed
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Still don’t like the offensive game plan, hopefully it is something that is evolving. Take what we are doing now into the playoffs and any team with length can take us out. Love the defensive pressure, if only he can wean himself from his Rondo crutch.

Our offense is still stagnant. Whenever we don't have anything we take too long to get into our offense and run action with a purpose.

In the NO game there was too much standing around when AD had the ball in the post. It almost felt like I had taken a time machine back to the 90s.

Dudley said it would take 4 months to get the offense in order. So far it's been ... a month and a bit.

The offense is better than it was and will continue to improve going forward.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject:

“My analytics team” are words never before heard leave the mouth of a Lakers HC

https://twitter.com/bj_metta/status/1200964509021564928

I hope he's with us for at least the next 10 years
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers team aka Lebron went into the game to showcase AD and get him going against his old team. They wanted the challenge and showed they would stick behind AD. It went way beyond basketball strategy. It was an agenda to get AD going. Any time you have a predetermined agenda, it will affect your game in a negative fashion. However for the Lakers it was about getting their guy the type of game they wanted him to dominate in. It was even worth a loss, if it came to that. AD set the record for the highest scoring output in a return game for a former player in league history at 41 points. How many times do you see players come back and have games like that? To me these things most people will not get. You have to understand team chemistry, a lockerroom, a dynamic of a group of guys going to war together each night and having complete trust in each other. All those things make a championship team, not just basketball Xs and Os.

You know why we are 17-2, IMO? It's not that we are that good. We're not a 17-2 team based on our ability and execution. We should be around 14-4 or 13-5. Most teams would be. What makes this special is led by Frank and LBJ, this team has complete trust in each other and each other's back. There's no (bleep) or doubting. They went with their plan to get AD going. Go down big? No problem. AD's got his, now we're gonna step up the schemes and win. Which is what they did. We have done this many times this year. We should lose, only to dominate in a stretch of a game and win.

The Shaq-Kobe Lakers at their best (when they got along) had that sort of mentality. It's not about you, it's about us. We don't adjust to you. You adjust to us. Dominant teams, they do that. They make you adjust to their strengths and dominance. Our dominance will not be 3 point shooting and guard skills. 3 point shooting for us is our icing on the top, and the cherry. The way we dominate is points in the paint, and beating up teams. And by defending very well. Now I'm not saying we should go into games with 20 post up isolations or isolations in the mid-range for AD. However we absolutely should be beating up teams inside, playing bully ball, using ADs/Howard/Lebron/McGee size advantage inside and playing a lot of physical paint centered basketball. The only problem with the feed AD strategy is that AD was taking too many perimeter shots. We have to get AD to stop fading away and settling for mid-range jumpers. Take the ball to the hole, bigman. Be dominant inside. Then we'll feed ya.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers team aka Lebron went into the game to showcase AD and get him going against his old team. They wanted the challenge and showed they would stick behind AD. It went way beyond basketball strategy. It was an agenda to get AD going. Any time you have a predetermined agenda, it will affect your game in a negative fashion. However for the Lakers it was about getting their guy the type of game they wanted him to dominate in. It was even worth a loss, if it came to that. AD set the record for the highest scoring output in a return game for a former player in league history at 41 points. How many times do you see players come back and have games like that? To me these things most people will not get. You have to understand team chemistry, a lockerroom, a dynamic of a group of guys going to war together each night and having complete trust in each other. All those things make a championship team, not just basketball Xs and Os.

You know why we are 17-2, IMO? It's not that we are that good. We're not a 17-2 team based on our ability and execution. We should be around 14-4 or 13-5. Most teams would be. What makes this special is led by Frank and LBJ, this team has complete trust in each other and each other's back. There's no (bleep) or doubting. They went with their plan to get AD going. Go down big? No problem. AD's got his, now we're gonna step up the schemes and win. Which is what they did. We have done this many times this year. We should lose, only to dominate in a stretch of a game and win.

The Shaq-Kobe Lakers at their best (when they got along) had that sort of mentality. It's not about you, it's about us. We don't adjust to you. You adjust to us. Dominant teams, they do that. They make you adjust to their strengths and dominance. Our dominance will not be 3 point shooting and guard skills. 3 point shooting for us is our icing on the top, and the cherry. The way we dominate is points in the paint, and beating up teams. And by defending very well. Now I'm not saying we should go into games with 20 post up isolations or isolations in the mid-range for AD. However we absolutely should be beating up teams inside, playing bully ball, using ADs/Howard/Lebron/McGee size advantage inside and playing a lot of physical paint centered basketball. The only problem with the feed AD strategy is that AD was taking too many perimeter shots. We have to get AD to stop fading away and settling for mid-range jumpers. Take the ball to the hole, bigman. Be dominant inside. Then we'll feed ya.

Perfectly said..

Early nomination for post of the season.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
My analytics team” are words never before heard leave the mouth of a Lakers HC

https://twitter.com/bj_metta/status/1200964509021564928

I hope he's with us for at least the next 10 years

Lol how very true.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You're absolutely right. That's the vibe I'm getting from the team this season, and it feels like every single player has bought into it. If we can stay healthy -- it's a big if -- there is no team that will want to come up against us in the playoffs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Vogel has been named Western Conference Coach of the Month.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Congrats Frankie!!!
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

how worrisome is his apparent infatuation with Rondo?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

I think it's almost all about the facilitating and play making ability which this team severely lacks outside of Lebron. He's talked about wanting to pass the ball around more the last few weeks at least.

It's def. a concern though since even though he brings some of that he is killing the team on the floor on many stretches since he has returned.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers coach Frank Vogel has won over his players, including LeBron James

Quote:
James often praises Vogel unprompted. When asked about limiting his minutes, he began "I love coach, and what the coaching staff are doing, I think he's doing what's best for the team, and obviously I respect that."

When asked about his high number of steals, he mentioned Mike Brown, Erik Spoelstra, Lue and Vogel as the defense-minded coaches who put him in positions to grab them. When asked about his assists, James made sure to praise Vogel and his staff for starting him at point guard.

Vogel's focus on defense has been something other players appreciate too.

"When you have a defensive coach, it helps," Danny Green said. "And when you have guys who are defensive players, it helps a ton."

His players have bought into what Vogel is doing. But Vogel understands one thing — winning games often goes hand in hand with chemistry between the players and the coaching staff.

"The buy-in to any coaching situation is always important," Vogel said. "And when you win early, that comes faster. So, hopefully we're off to a good start in that regard."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/lakers-coach-frank-vogel-has-won-over-his-players-including-lebron-james/ar-BBXG7kH?li=BBnba9I&ocid=mailsignout
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Caruso should've gotten more burn in the 4th, but really smart lineup change on the last possession from Vogel putting Caruso and Bradley in the game.

The dude is a good (bleep) coach.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I think it's almost all about the facilitating and play making ability which this team severely lacks outside of Lebron. He's talked about wanting to pass the ball around more the last few weeks at least.

It's def. a concern though since even though he brings some of that he is killing the team on the floor on many stretches since he has returned.

All they needed was a Brogdon, Butler, etc and it would have made the Lakers the defacto favorite, Kwahi put the dagger on that.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Uncle Frank would get my Presidential Vote right now!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Watch the Lakers’ coaches and players communicating here. Vogel up, giving instructions. Rondo watching Vogel, telling Dudley he’s up covering the pass, Phil Handy triggers the Avery Bradley double at the exact right time, Dudley does his job and contests

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Lane/status/1205671691038314496
Yue_Fei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Using the last timeout early was a good move by Vogel. LeBron looked completely gassed. (A challenge there with the kicked ball would have been an even better move - challenges take a long ass time and this year LeBron has needed those late game breathers ... someone should point this out to Vogel ....)

I would have brought in Caruso a little earlier but that is just nitpicking as he did bring him back in for the defensive stand. Glad it worked out.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

his unrelenting faith in Rondo almost cost us this game and more likely than not will end up biting us more than a few times in the future. Ridiculous that Caruso who can be argued as our best guard period got 11 minutes while Rondo comes back rusty from injury yet gets 25 undeserved minutes while shooting 0-5
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
his unrelenting faith in Rondo almost cost us this game and more likely than not will end up biting us more than a few times in the future. Ridiculous that Caruso who can be argued as our best guard period got 11 minutes while Rondo comes back rusty from injury yet gets 25 undeserved minutes while shooting 0-5

Rondo -10 and it was obvious.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I love the way he utilizes time outs during the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 19 of 27
Jump to: