2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject:

I am not sure any team is more athletic and long than Maryland. They have 2-3 shooters and interior height. Only possible negative is they are young.

However their leader is Sr. PG Anthony Cowan Jr. who I like. Only 6'0" but has impressed with his ability to effectively and consistently attack the rim. Might be a nice 2nd round pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I am not sure any team is more athletic and long than Maryland. They have 2-3 shooters and interior height. Only possible negative is they are young.

However their leader is Sr. PG Anthony Cowan Jr. who I like. Only 6'0" but has impressed with his ability to effectively and consistently attack the rim. Might be a nice 2nd round pick.

Do we have a 2nd rounder this year?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

No but always could trade out of the 1st for additional picks or buy a mid to late 2nd.

Just looking for complementary younger rotation players who do not need a lot of development to play with Lebron and AD.

Otherwise younger raw high upside picks that fall in the draft (eg. Kevin Porter Jr, Bol Bol).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

No but always could trade out of the 1st for additional picks or buy a mid to late 2nd.

Just looking for complementary younger rotation players who do not need a lot of development to play with Lebron and AD.

Otherwise younger raw high upside picks that fall in the draft (eg. Kevin Porter Jr, Bol Bol).

They do fall for various reasons. Bol Bol was his feet/injury issues. KPJ was intangible based. I'm not looking as hard as I used to but eventually I'll have the time to search again.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Had a chance to watch Obi Toppin (Dayton) this season? A Sophomore 6'9" PF that can put the ball in the basket.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Had a chance to watch Obi Toppin (Dayton) this season? A Sophomore 6'9" PF that can put the ball in the basket.

Watched a little of this game specifically for Edwards. Obi can score. What did you think of his athleticism?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Watched a little of this game specifically for Edwards. Obi can score. What did you think of his athleticism?

definitely have not seen signs of elite athleticism per NBA standards, but I consider it good enough. I have seen him get up off two feet with surprising hops.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Anthony Edwards is playing live now on ESPN2 as his Georgia team plays against Michigan State at the Maui Invitational.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

definitely have not seen signs of elite athleticism per NBA standards, but I consider it good enough. I have seen him get up off two feet with surprising hops.

Thanks. Agree with your assessment. Good straight line speed but laterally seemed slow to get going. Wonder if he can play small ball C?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Anthony Edwards is playing live now on ESPN2 as his Georgia team plays against Michigan State at the Maui Invitational.

I admit, I turned it off around halftime....Michigan State was up by 21 and Edwards only had 4 points. My mistake....Edwards exploded in the 2nd half scoring 33 of his 27 points cutting the lead to 4 late in the game. Michigan State pulled out the win 93-85....but wow, Edwards displayed why he is in contention for the #1 pick next year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Thanks. Agree with your assessment. Good straight line speed but laterally seemed slow to get going. Wonder if he can play small ball C?

I get a little bit Tobias Harris...a little bit of Thaddeus Young to his game. Not sure he is a fit for a small ball center. Honestly, you may have seen more of him than me....I recall him a little from last year, and have maybe seen 2 partial games of him this year.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I get a little bit Tobias Harris...a little bit of Thaddeus Young to his game. Not sure he is a fit for a small ball center. Honestly, you may have seen more of him than me....I recall him a little from last year, and have maybe seen 2 partial games of him this year.

Would never have thought of Young + Harris. It does match. This was the first time I saw him. I only paid attention as the announcers were touting him on how good things happen when he is on the court.

Found he is already 21 and would start the next NBA season at 22 so a good chance he declares.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Found he is already 21 and would start the next NBA season at 22 so a good chance he declares.

yeah, did not know he was that old as a Sophomore. I know he was conference Freshman of the year last year....must have been a red shirt Freshman.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

What do you guys think about Anthony Edwards?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Wonder if he can play small ball C?

Toppin was actually playing a decent amount of 5 tonight against Azubuike...he got taken advantage of on the post a few times, but Azubuike is as big as anyone he would face in the NBA. I am also interested in Toppin's real measurements because looked very close to Azubuike in height.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I admit, I turned it off around halftime....Michigan State was up by 21 and Edwards only had 4 points. My mistake....Edwards exploded in the 2nd half scoring 33 of his 27 points cutting the lead to 4 late in the game. Michigan State pulled out the win 93-85....but wow, Edwards displayed why he is in contention for the #1 pick next year.

Edwards put up 24 tonight and the game winning three pointer.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1199908621678710785
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I only have two real targets and I don't think they're at the Lakers pick.

Tyrese Haliburton.
Isaiah Joe.

Tyrese and Killian Hayes have similar skill sets and athletic profile imo. I like both and either would be a nice get.

It's Haliburton I want most between the two. The Lonzo-like passing/Melton/Zo combination instincts on defense are ++.

Unfortunately, I know he's going to get ran over at the next level.

Haliburton looked really good against Alabama and would be surprised if he is available at the Lakers projected draft slot. Passing was elite and defense very good.

Over passes at times and would like to see him be more aggressive on offense in particular attacking the basket.

For Alabama, John Petty is a nice player. Certainly can shoot with a nice looking stroke.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Arguable #1. Just motor stuff.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I only have two real targets and I don't think they're at the Lakers pick.

Tyrese Haliburton.
Isaiah Joe.

Tyrese and Killian Hayes have similar skill sets and athletic profile imo. I like both and either would be a nice get.

It's Haliburton I want most between the two. The Lonzo-like passing/Melton/Zo combination instincts on defense are ++.

Unfortunately, I know he's going to get ran over at the next level.

Haliburton looked really good against Alabama and would be surprised if he is available at the Lakers projected draft slot. Passing was elite and defense very good.

Over passes at times and would like to see him be more aggressive on offense in particular attacking the basket.

For Alabama, John Petty is a nice player. Certainly can shoot with a nice looking stroke.

Haliburton is basically Lonzo-like without the physique and he's a bit soft. I think he ends up mid 1st.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Haliburton is basically Lonzo-like without the physique and he's a bit soft. I think he ends up mid 1st.

I think 20 lbs. would resolve some of his issues.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:

What's the difference between him and Stanley Johnson?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Edwards has a better basketball built, much better/purer pull up jump shooter. Stanley was more of a spot up guy at Arizona.

I don't recall Stanley having the ability to pass through narrow windows, even in transition either. There's a lot to like about Anthony Edwards as having the general foundation skill set eventually become an eventual elite shot creating wing, where the premium is in the league.

Both guys are straight line drivers, but Edwards is the more explosive finisher with better footwork.

Way purer shot form and functional strength.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Edwards has a better basketball built, much better/purer pull up jump shooter. Stanley was more of a spot up guy at Arizona.

I don't recall Stanley having the ability to pass through narrow windows, even in transition either. There's a lot to like about Anthony Edwards as having the general foundation skill set eventually become an eventual elite shot creating wing, where the premium is in the league.

Both guys are straight line drivers, but Edwards is the more explosive finisher with better footwork.

Way purer shot form and functional strength.

In college Johnson would use his physical size and strength to over power his opponents. I remember watching his rookie year summer league games where he played well but he pretty much used his physicality to win over his opponents.

He also had a low set point on his jumper and showed no touch on his shots. He hasn't improved much in this respect and probably never will.

I just see considerably more ball skills by Edwards. He looks more fluid in his movements with the ball and can create spacing for himself. He has shown he can score at the basket, mid-range and 3pt distance.

I also believe he is arguably 1,2 or 3 in the 2020 draft.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't see much difference between Isaiah Stewart and Vernon Carey besides right vs. left. However the draft pundits seem to favor Stewart by 10-15 draft slots.

As listed Carey does appear taller with Stewart having the better wing span. Stewart has shown better rim protection with Carey having a more refined offensive game.

I feel Stewart projects better long term and would draft over Carey.

One big who has shown out for me is Jalen Smith of Maryland. Tall, long and appears to be bigger and stronger than last year. What impressed me is he works hard blocking out for rebounds and rotating/challenging shots. Would draft over Stewart or Carey.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I don't see much difference between Isaiah Stewart and Vernon Carey besides right vs. left. However the draft pundits seem to favor Stewart by 10-15 draft slots.

As listed Carey does appear taller with Stewart having the better wing span. Stewart has shown better rim protection with Carey having a more refined offensive game.

I feel Stewart projects better long term and would draft over Carey.

One big who has shown out for me is Jalen Smith of Maryland. Tall, long and appears to be bigger and stronger than last year. What impressed me is he works hard blocking out for rebounds and rotating/challenging shots. Would draft over Stewart or Carey.

Is Jalen Smith still getting pushed around?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 3 of 48
Jump to: