Are the Lakers doomed in December?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lakerican wrote:
8-7

@Jan 1 2020, 25-10

People forgets that after this month, things will get a lot easier. We havent play:

1. Cleveland
2. Knicks
3. Dubs
4. Detroit

That’s not very significant though. We need to beat some of the better teams, just winning against the weak teams is not enough.

Let’s see how they do in this tough part. Won’t be facing anyone like the cavs or Knicks in the playoffs.

We need to have a good regular season and peak at the right time, learn from the mistakes we made and not make them in the playoffs. Losing against the top 5-7 other teams in the league now is great. We know what we have to work on. The last thing you want is to have a dominant RS only to find out holes in your game in the playoffs.

We found out some holes and addressed them a little.
Game 1 vs Clips. Bench. So since, Vogel staggered Lebron and AD on the 2nd unit all the time.

Game 2 vs Raps. Transition D and our fastbreak points. Since then we have been one of the better teams at running the break and creating chances and also not allowing that to repeat to our D.

Game 3 vs Mavs. Taking too much mid-range and isolations where the offense stalls, and also allowing an opponent to get off too many 3 pointers. Lets see if Frank adjusts.

Basically, you want these losses now. You want the team to realize where it is coming up short, where it is making mistakes, thus by playoffs or by a little before the playoffs we are playing the optimal way to put us in position to succeed.

We have a really good team this year with 2 great players who are playing as if they are in the prime of their careers (Lebron's season so far is shocking). So we need to just peak at the right time, be healthy and have the right tactics going into the playoffs. I take this team against anyone. We are the only team in the league that can dominate inside and outside, and defend. Teams can do 1 or 2 of those 3. When we play well, we do 3/3. We have outside shooting, great post/paint play and elite defense. We need to get Bradley back, and Vogel needs to tighten the whip on Kuzma/Rondo closer to the playoffs. If LBJ and AD are fresh in the playoffs. This will be a fun ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

Just wanted to point out, a team like the Warriors went 73-9 and then end up losing to the Cavs in 7 in the Finals. All for moot. It is about continual development and peaking at the right time. I have seen progress in this team's game and development. I am just concerned about the officiating. We do not get called fairly because of our size, power and skill advantage in the paint. Teams with the same advantages from the perimeter get calls. But because we play bully ball and paint play a lot, we do not get the calls we would have 10 years ago. This style has been MIA in the league for a good 5+ years. Officials have to remember how to officiate physical paint play. I have some confidence that in the playoffs they will not call is as they are right now. Usually the physicality in the playoffs is a lot higher and calls are a lot more favored to the more active physical team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

@wolf, it’s good to find out what the flaws are, etc.

At the same time, need to pocket a couple of wins against some good teams.

I will use Utah as an example. I’m sure they are learning how to integrate Connelly and Bogdanovic, but it’s not a good look that they are getting destroyed by the top tier eastern conference teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

We need to just keep stacking up wins. The threat has always been age and injuries. So far, the injuries have not affected the core of the team. If our luck runs out and either Lebron or Davis misses a month or so, we need to have a nice stack of wins in the bank. All this other stuff is just noise until we get to the playoffs.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Just wanted to point out, a team like the Warriors went 73-9 and then end up losing to the Cavs in 7 in the Finals. All for moot. It is about continual development and peaking at the right time. I have seen progress in this team's game and development. I am just concerned about the officiating. We do not get called fairly because of our size, power and skill advantage in the paint. Teams with the same advantages from the perimeter get calls. But because we play bully ball and paint play a lot, we do not get the calls we would have 10 years ago. This style has been MIA in the league for a good 5+ years. Officials have to remember how to officiate physical paint play. I have some confidence that in the playoffs they will not call is as they are right now. Usually the physicality in the playoffs is a lot higher and calls are a lot more favored to the more active physical team.

Agreed. The Lakers have to peak at the right time or stay at high performance the entire the season.

Don’t forget also the reason the Warriors lost that year is Lebron James is a “beast.” I still remember that game 7 Curry did his best and had that easy layup in the 4th quarter in transition that Lebron blocked out of nowhere

The good news I think Lebron is still a beast and pairing him with a star is going to allow him to go beast mode come playoff. Unless you come after him with 3 superstars like the Warriors, you ain’t stopping him unless say AD suffers a big injury around playoff time.

All this small talk about the Lakers have holes and Kuzma isn’t as good as we taught doesn’t matter come playoff times because you have Lebron plus AD and no team with 3 superstars.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

So peaking the first 20 games is good? Bad? Or do we expect to play .800 ball all season? We have done a good job of taking advantage of a relatively easy schedule but playing well after the Grammy trip will tell us a lot.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

Lets just win tonight and worry about the rest later.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So peaking the first 20 games is good? Bad? Or do we expect to play .800 ball all season? We have done a good job of taking advantage of a relatively easy schedule but playing well after the Grammy trip will tell us a lot.

It’s good because it give us a cushion to weather the storm. I don’t think we are peaking or hit our peak yet. The soft schedule allowed us to win a lot of games but in terms of actual plays and defense, we just have too much of Lebron and AD combo to beat all those weaker teams. There’s lots of lots of room for improvement. Kuz is still figuring out his role and his defensive rotations, KCP still figuring how to pass, Rondo still figuring out to stay in front his man, Caruso still figuring out how to run our offense and AD still figuring out how to use his off hand. So we have not click on all cylinders so to speak.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I agree with that, it is good that the team took advantage of some easier games. And good that our 3 losses could likely be against playoff teams.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

We'll def. get a few more losses obviously with this tough stretch and I have no doubt many fans and the media will say we might not be for real and don't have enough for the top tier teams etc etc. Then after the all star break if healthy you will see us ramping it up and look like a completely different team then we are now just like we are much better then that first game against the Clippers.

We still need to obviously win a few of the tough games but they aren't really "critical" at this point in the season. Like wolf said, it's about how we adjust and see overall improvement to our weaknesses after those losses and as the season progresses that really matters when your end goal is for a deep playoff run.

A top 4 seed would be huge and is nearly critical with the Western conference so loaded so if there is much bleeding this stretch they have to stop it fast and not go on any extended losing streaks.

Just like I don't hold much weight in that first loss to the Clippers. The Christmas game will be a much better indication as long as both teams are mostly healthy but even then neither team is going to be very close to the final product we see going into the Playoffs imo.

There's way too much season left to get too excited or too down for any of the contenders.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I expected to beat Dallas and lose today so I’ll definitely take this big win. Brutal b2b tomorrow against Utah but Utah is playing awful basketball right Now so we have to capitalize.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

OK, let's see where we are in our season forms. This month is a good barometer... would the real 3rd option guy stand up!!!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
I expected to beat Dallas and lose today so I’ll definitely take this big win. Brutal b2b tomorrow against Utah but Utah is playing awful basketball right Now so we have to capitalize.

Yes still tough through b/c of 3 reasons

Half (4-6) of the Lakers are sick right now (as in actually sick)
on the road
back to back

Jazz also 8-1 at home
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

Utah will be missing Conley, but expect the refs to do their best to keep Utah in the game. I would not be surprised to see 3-4 calls late in the 4th quarter all go the Jazz's way to clinch the win for their team.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

If we get the first seed, I want Dallas and Clippers to get the 2nd and 3rd. I prefer to play against the Nuggets or Rockets.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Has the sky fallen yet??
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

ARE THE NBA DOOMED IN DECEMBER AGAINST THE LAKERS???
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Ya we're doomed
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I expected a win against Dallas and back to back losses against Denver and Utah
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the Lakers doomed in December?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Our record may only be a result of an easy schedule. We are 1-3 versus good teams with the only win coming in OT. (Loss to Clippers, Toronto, Mavs, barely beat Mavs the first time). December will be tough

Seems like Dr Manhattan has stopped the doomsday clock... for now...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Next thread on LG: Will Lakers lose more than 1 game in December? Haha
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Next thread on LG: Will Lakers lose more than 1 game in December? Haha

Lol. Make it happen!!
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:

Please expect the Lakers to not win another game in December.

--Anonymous
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

So in our own conference we've played 2nd, 3rd twice, 4th, 6th, and 8th and we've gone 5-2

EDIT: Actually we played 6th place twice, so we're 6-2
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
greek laker wrote:

Please expect the Lakers to not win another game in December.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: