Wireless earbuds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Wireless earbuds

I'm looking to replace an aging pair of BT earbuds and seriously looking at the Jabra Elite 75t and the Sony WF-1000XM3. The Sony is more expensive and has active noise cancelling but doesn't support multiple connections and is not dust and water resistant. The Jabra oth has had some good reviews re sound quality and design (CNET even says it's better than the Airpod Pro) and supports connections to 2 devices simultaneously.
Anybody here using or have used one or both of these two?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I have Airpod Pro's and love them, but I have heard good things about both pairs you are considering. I also heard the JBL UA set had great sound....but the best review I have been told personally is the Bose Soundsport Free. A friend switched from Airpod to the Bose and she claims the sound is 2x better.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

A cheapish alternative to look at are Amazon’s Echo buds. They’re decent and only 129 bucks. The noise reduction tech is surprisingly good for the price.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

Galaxy buds are pretty good. I use them the most. I also just got a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3, which are the over-the-ear wireless NC version of the earbuds you're looking at. The Sony sound quality and NC is clearly better than Bose from what i've heard on the latest models during my testing (tried the QC 35 ii and 700s). Beats are trash, so don't even bother with them.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
A cheapish alternative to look at are Amazon’s Echo buds. They’re decent and only 129 bucks. The noise reduction tech is surprisingly good for the price.

Looks like in the same price range as the Galaxy buds.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Galaxy buds are pretty good. I use them the most. I also just got a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3, which are the over-the-ear wireless NC version of the earbuds you're looking at. The Sony sound quality and NC is clearly better than Bose from what i've heard on the latest models during my testing (tried the QC 35 ii and 700s). Beats are trash, so don't even bother with them.

I tried the WH at the store, just to experience what ANC is. Blew my mind that I can't hear almost nothing when the music is off. I know the ear buds will not have the same noise cancelling as over the ear, but for workouts or just plain walking outside they're more practical IMO.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

The Galaxy buds are great @ their price point. I wish they got 5% louder but that's about my only complaint.
I love the way I never have to deal with pairing. Just put them in and tap the touchpad and my last playlist/podcast starts where it stopped.

Disclaimer: I didn't shop around because they were a promo add-in so I won't get into nuances of the sound.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have Airpod Pro's and love them, but I have heard good things about both pairs you are considering. I also heard the JBL UA set had great sound....but the best review I have been told personally is the Bose Soundsport Free. A friend switched from Airpod to the Bose and she claims the sound is 2x better.

I've been using the bose soundsport free for I think a year now.
I've had no problems. Base sounds pretty good for in ear buds.

They are not noise canceling, but with how well they seal off the ear they do a good job of blocking out the loud music my gym plays.

Battery life is good, and the case is small, but not too small where it's easy to lose it.

Main thing for me is I'll wear them for 3 hours at at time and feel no discomfort at all with them.

Also on phone calls people can hear me clearly.

---George Carlin
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I've gone through Jaybrids, last year's sony and this year's, Cambridge's, Klipsch's and currently using the 65T's. For over the head, wireless, I switch between a pair of Bowers PX the and Sony WH-1000MX3 for reference.

Best bang for the buck by far is the 65t (last year's model). Purely from an acoustic standpoint, Cambridge is my favorite. Extremely smooth sound. Almost every other one wireless earbuds is a little too forward with the vocals. If cost is no object, get the Sony WF-1000MX. Top of the heap ANC and SQ is still stellar.

Just my opinion but true wireless earbuds are a horrible purchase to pay full retail. Their prices absolutely crater in less than a year almost without exception. When Sony announced their first pairsWf-1000X about 2 years ago, I jumped on board. Now I can't even give them away.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I've gone through Jaybrids, last year's sony and this year's, Cambridge's, Klipsch's and currently using the 65T's. For over the head, wireless, I switch between a pair of Bowers PX the and Sony WH-1000MX3 for reference.

Best bang for the buck by far is the 65t (last year's model). Purely from an acoustic standpoint, Cambridge is my favorite. Extremely smooth sound. Almost every other one wireless earbuds is a little too forward with the vocals. If cost is no object, get the Sony WF-1000MX. Top of the heap ANC and SQ is still stellar.

The 75t is smaller and has a longer battery life than the 65t. I understand though that those improvements are not enough reasons to upgrade.

Quote:
Just my opinion but true wireless earbuds are a horrible purchase to pay full retail. Their prices absolutely crater in less than a year almost without exception. When Sony announced their first pairsWf-1000X about 2 years ago, I jumped on board. Now I can't even give them away.

You're right, the 1000x sank to half the price within a year. And the 65t is also a third cheaper.
What I like about the 75t is the unobtrusive form factor. The Soundsport looks like a small headlight in my ear (not the black one).
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

if sound quality is truly a priority then I would not recommend wireless earbuds in general (better to get some wired buds or cans at that point)

if sound isolation is a priority, I would make sure that whatever you go with works with comply foam tips (specifically the p-series if at all possible; they are seriously amazing) – IMO, noise cancellation kind of sucks for earbuds

if neither of those are a priority and you have an iphone, the barebones airpods are the way to go I would say – connection is great, they sound good enough, and stay in at least my ears for workouts and the like (noise isolation is essentially zero, though)
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I have had the Jabra 65ft. for over a year and LOVE them. My biggest need was multi-point connection as I am constantly working off of two phones at the same time. It works seamlessly. I stream music on one phone, while both are connected and as soon as a call comes in, I tap the ear bud to connect and I'm on the phone, either one. End the call, music kicks right back in.

It has noise cancelling, which def. mutes sound, but it isn't total NC. Sound is good. Again, I didn't shop around too much as the multi-point feature is what I was after, but it's good. Walking on a busy street, I do push them in deeper to get a more thorough sound, but I mainly am out and about listening to podcasts anyway.

Pairing is super easy and the charging case is small and easy to use. They also hold their charge well.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
I have had the Jabra 65ft. for over a year and LOVE them. My biggest need was multi-point connection as I am constantly working off of two phones at the same time. It works seamlessly. I stream music on one phone, while both are connected and as soon as a call comes in, I tap the ear bud to connect and I'm on the phone, either one. End the call, music kicks right back in.

It has noise cancelling, which def. mutes sound, but it isn't total NC. Sound is good. Again, I didn't shop around too much as the multi-point feature is what I was after, but it's good. Walking on a busy street, I do push them in deeper to get a more thorough sound, but I mainly am out and about listening to podcasts anyway.

Pairing is super easy and the charging case is small and easy to use. They also hold their charge well.

Lack of multi-point connection is one of the few shortcomings of the Sony WF. I also work with 2 phones (work and private) so this is important. I don't know if Sony can resolve this with a firmware update. They already addressed the lack of volume control with the latest firmware.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
if sound quality is truly a priority then I would not recommend wireless earbuds in general (better to get some wired buds or cans at that point)

if sound isolation is a priority, I would make sure that whatever you go with works with comply foam tips (specifically the p-series if at all possible; they are seriously amazing) – IMO, noise cancellation kind of sucks for earbuds

if neither of those are a priority and you have an iphone, the barebones airpods are the way to go I would say – connection is great, they sound good enough, and stay in at least my ears for workouts and the like (noise isolation is essentially zero, though)

The Sony's ANC is phenomenal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: