Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

I love Coach Frankie!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
governator wrote:
This coach just dismantled Utah’s defense with DPOY playing

I never expected it to come together this quickly. What a job Vogel is doing, and he clearly understands defense. And, more importantly, he knows how to teach it. I don't know what happened in Orlando, but the man clearly knows defensive basketball. We clearly have a system in place. Even in extreme garbage time late tonight, you saw Dudley make a steal where the Utah player got inside with dribble penetration and thought he could just feed the big down low, but because Dudley rotated over, he got the steal. That's not by accident. It's the system.

Pelinka and company got roasted for failing to hire Ty Lue, but this coaching staff, led by Vogel, is doing a hell of a job.

Great spacing, multiple plays to get a player open (like wide open either for layup/3) and it seems like our players were familiar with Utah's defensive scheme, Gobert was drawn out most of the game and couldn't rim protect while our bigs straight lock the rim up, no layup style. Good job coach
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
governator wrote:

I never expected it to come together this quickly. What a job Vogel is doing, and he clearly understands defense. And, more importantly, he knows how to teach it. I don't know what happened in Orlando, but the man clearly knows defensive basketball. We clearly have a system in place. Even in extreme garbage time late tonight, you saw Dudley make a steal where the Utah player got inside with dribble penetration and thought he could just feed the big down low, but because Dudley rotated over, he got the steal. That's not by accident. It's the system.

Pelinka and company got roasted for failing to hire Ty Lue, but this coaching staff, led by Vogel, is doing a hell of a job.

RE: Orlando

He didn't have the personnel to execute his system. Vucevic was their best player. Then a bunch of randoms + Aaron Gordon.

And now with the Lakers he suddenly has two top 5 players with high IQ plus he has future coach (RONDO) on the court. It's the perfect storm.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

I think there might be a good chance that we should all be relieved Lue didn’t take the job. We might have gotten real lucky there but I will take it.

Vogel definitely adds an element of calm. He is never freaking out and always seems to have things under control and thinking about the next move.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

Plus he looks like Joe from Impractical Jokers. So if we lose, I just think to myself "There goes Joe with his jokes again"
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

He's an excellent coach. The quick timeout in the 3rd to make the adjustment was great. On top of that, he has a great crew of assistants.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

I like him. And I like his staff. Particularly Hollins.
Similar to Dwight, I always knew Vogel wouldn't hurt us. I was never pissed about the signing. But he's still exceeding my expectations.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I love Coach Frankie!

Me too. Real genuine guy and hard worker. Good job Jeanie and Rob with going with Frank when pundits where killing them for coaching search.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
governator wrote:

RE: Orlando

He didn't have the personnel to execute his system. Vucevic was their best player. Then a bunch of randoms + Aaron Gordon.

And now with the Lakers he suddenly has two top 5 players with high IQ plus he has future coach (RONDO) on the court. It's the perfect storm.

From what I understand, the Orlando team had a lot of Kuzma like players on it. Young talented development players with little defensive effort/IQ prior to Vogel and in came Frank with his mindset and no one really could follow that lead. In LA the Lakers brought in AD at the same time with Vogel, so you had the best defensive player in the NBA. Makes a huge difference when you have your best player who can be exactly what you need in your style of coaching.

Then the other major thing, is that Frank got input on his role players as soon as he came in. The timing was such that Frank comes in and LA gets AD and also has 30M to spend on role players. So Frank knows what role players can give him defense and the things he wants on offense, and that is why in part they went the way they did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think there might be a good chance that we should all be relieved Lue didn’t take the job. We might have gotten real lucky there but I will take it.

Vogel definitely adds an element of calm. He is never freaking out and always seems to have things under control and thinking about the next move.

How successful do you think Lue or Walton would have been with this roster?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
epak wrote:
We finally got a coach that's smarter than 90% of LG. Woo woo!

i'm deadddddd

Currently Luke and Jesse Mermuys up in Sacremento ripping major bong tokes trying to figure it out still

Sac is actually doing better than I thought they'd do. They're the best team in Nor Cal.

Plus Luke's charges were dropped.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Similar to Dwight, I always knew Vogel wouldn't hurt us. I was never pissed about the signing. But he's still exceeding my expectations.

I too was fine with Vogel. I wanted Monty more but when he wouldn’t talk with us, I was good with bringing in Frank.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Something Vogel has to be credited for is his regular rotations.

1. Always having either Lebron or AD playing at all times. If the lead is in double digits, sometimes neither are in which is good to give them a good breather. He did this during the road trip. And then when the other team was closing the gap, he immediately brings one of them in.

2. The starting lineup. He knows that Lebron can play the point, so why not have two good defenders out there? That's why I really like the KCP and DG lineup and the DG and AB lineup.

3. Putting in Rondo everytime Lebron is in the bench to be the main playmaker.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Something Vogel has to be credited for is his regular rotations.

1. Always having either Lebron or AD playing at all times. If the lead is in double digits, sometimes neither are in which is good to give them a good breather. He did this during the road trip. And then when the other team was closing the gap, he immediately brings one of them in.

2. The starting lineup. He knows that Lebron can play the point, so why not have two good defenders out there? That's why I really like the KCP and DG lineup and the DG and AB lineup.

3. Putting in Rondo everytime Lebron is in the bench to be the main playmaker.

Just staggering.

(Puns baby!)
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Have all of you been watching?

The lakers are running plays. Moving with out the ball. Luke drove me crazy with his weird play calling.

Vogel is a legit coach
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Our defense is scary:

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I too was fine with Vogel. I wanted Monty more but when he wouldn’t talk with us, I was good with bringing in Frank.

Good call. I thought he was average but way behind Lue. He’s proven otherwise.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Are you saying Monty didn't say a word in the interview on April 25, 2019? Weird. Maybe that is why he didn't get an offer from us.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-coach-search-20190426-story.html
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

I wasn’t sold on Lue. Maybe a few years under Doc will prepare him for another head coaching gig.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject:

Stephen A Smith says that the Knicks are interested in signing Kidd as head coach
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

They are the Knicks
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I wasn’t sold on Lue. Maybe a few years under Doc will prepare him for another head coaching gig.

But Doc isn't some great coach. I vividly remember his Orlando days, then Lurch gifted him KG when he was in Boston. The NBA then gifted him CP3 and paired him with Blake Griffin across the hall. Thenthey tampered to get Kawhi and PG.

He won a ring but I give more credit to Thibbs' defensive scheme. I'm just not sold on Doc being this great coach. He was gifted talent in Boston and with the Clipps. His teams do play hard for him though.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Are you saying Monty didn't say a word in the interview on April 25, 2019? Weird. Maybe that is why he didn't get an offer from us.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-coach-search-20190426-story.html

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tania Ganguli
@taniaganguli

“I yelled at them for giving up 125 points tonight. I don’t think anyone heard me.” - Frank Vogel
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Ty Lue could have had AD/LBJ AND Vogel as his defensive coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 85 of 224
Jump to: