Luke or Farmar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Luke or Farmar?
Luke
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
Farmar
42%
 42%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 33

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
I wanted to say Stockton, it's just that Kidd's name seemed to illustrate the point better.

Ok, so what makes you think he could be the next Stockton?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

The fact that he is a Laker.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:

What I find funny is that for the past two years, everybody has been screaming for a PG to replace Smush... now that JKidd, a HOF lock that has put up the following number, is available posters are saying 'NO':

* ranks 3rd in triple-doubles (83, as of January 22, 2007)
* ranks 7th in assists (8,253, as of 2006)
* ranks 5th in assist-per-game average (9.2)
* ranks 13th in steals (1,835, as of 2006)
* ranks 11th in steal-per-game average (2.04)

* One of only three players in NBA history to record at least 13,000 points, 5,500 rebounds, and 8,000 assists in his playing career (the others are Oscar Robertson and Earvin "Magic" Johnson).
* One of only two players in NBA history to average a triple-double in a playoff series of six or more games (17.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 10.2 apg) in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals vs. the Boston Celtics (the other is Magic Johnson).
* One of only four players in NBA history to lead the league in assist-per-game average for 3 consecutive seasons (the others are Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, and John Stockton).

Seriously.... this place is really Bi-Polar sometimes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Some here just hate giving up players they like. Even if it is in the best interest of the team. Hell, I would trade any player on the Lakers if it would make the team better.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
What I find funny is that for the past two years, everybody has been screaming for a PG to replace Smush... now that JKidd, a HOF lock that has put up the following number:

* One of only three players in NBA history to record at least 13,000 points, 5,500 rebounds, and 8,000 assists in his playing career (the others are Oscar Robertson and Earvin "Magic" Johnson).
* One of only two players in NBA history to average a triple-double in a playoff series of six or more games (17.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 10.2 apg) in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals vs. the Boston Celtics (the other is Magic Johnson).
* One of only four players in NBA history to lead the league in assist-per-game average for 3 consecutive seasons (the others are Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, and John Stockton).

Is available, some don't want to trade Farmar for him because of 'potential'!!! Seriously.... this place is really Bi-Polar sometimes...

Well, by that logic, why not go after Magic or Stockton? Hyperbole aside, don't you think how long he can maintain an all-star level, not to mention the injury history, have some bearing? I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but it would be risky.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
I wanted to say Stockton, it's just that Kidd's name seemed to illustrate the point better.

The fact that he has a 2.4:1 assist-to-turnover ratio and Stockton had a 2.8:1, the fact that he's averaging 6.2 PPG to Stockton's 5.6, as a rookie. In addition, Farmar is 19 and Stockton was 21, when they first came to the league.

Farmar also has an incredibly strong work ethic. His potential is A LOT higher than people think. In fact, after re-examining the evidence, I say absolutely no to that trade.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Some here just hate giving up players they like. Even if it is in the best interest of the team. Hell, I would trade any player on the Lakers if it would make the team better.

Spare me this, "I'm more practical than everyone" attitude already. If we had such an affinity for our players, then we wouldn't be so quick to give up Luke, would we? Truth is, there's a much greater risk in giving up Farmar instead of Luke.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

it has to be farmar.

if we are going to trade for Kidd that means we are trying to win now therefore makes no sense to trade away Luke who has playoff experience.

Luke > Farmar
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

... Wouldnt you need to get more $$$$, Farmer is cheap.. so trading him wouldnt bring down the 15k- even with Kwame, Luke on paper is also low

If it was done right now it would have to be
Kwame, Luke, Farmer +____???
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
TACH wrote:
What I find funny is that for the past two years, everybody has been screaming for a PG to replace Smush... now that JKidd, a HOF lock that has put up the following number:

Is available, some don't want to trade Farmar for him because of 'potential'!!! Seriously.... this place is really Bi-Polar sometimes...

Well, by that logic, why not go after Magic or Stockton? Hyperbole aside, don't you think how long he can maintain an all-star level, not to mention the injury history, have some bearing? I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but it would be risky.
Injury history..... how many games has he missed since being with the Nets (01-02 season), now compare that to Kobe or LO? Hmmmm...

He's healthy.. I don't see an issue. How many triple doubles have the guy had THIS season,.. he's still producing....

BTW Magic and Stockton have long been since retired... why even bring them up?

It's all pipe anyway... The Nets don't need Farmar, they have Williams... The Nets need frontline help... Farmar doesn't help them there...

Oh.. and what about Farmar's ankles... he has a 'history' of having ankle issues...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
24 wrote:
TACH wrote:

Injury history..... how many games has he missed since being with the Nets (01-02 season), now compare that to Kobe or LO? Hmmmm...

He's healthy.. I don't see an issue. How many triple doubles have the guy had THIS season,.. he's still producing....

It's all pipe anyway... The Nets don't need Farmar, they have Williams... The Nets need frontline help... Farmar doesn't help them there...

Oh.. and what about Farmar's ankles... he has a 'history' of having ankle issues...

I don't see the logic of adding an injury risk if you already have injury-prone players, but that's me.

I brought up re-tired players to indicate that past stats don't indicate the present or future.

I agree that its probably pipe, and about Farmar's ankles You got me there!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
TACH wrote:
24 wrote:
TACH wrote:

I don't see the logic of adding an injury risk if you already have injury-prone players, but that's me.

I brought up re-tired players to indicate that past stats don't indicate the present or future.

The point was, he's no more injury prone the Kobe and/or LO.... but research it, tell me,.. how many game compared to LO and Kobe...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:

A trade of Vlad, Kwame, Mihm, and Mckie for Kidd and Moore would work. You could sub in either Luke or Farmar for Mckie and it would still work. You could also add in Farmar or Luke into that same trade OR draft picks, and it would still work. From our perspective, getting back Moore is essential or else we are way too thin in our frontcourt (we might still be, because suddenly we're forced to use Bynum the whole year, who, because he didn't play much last year, could hit the "rookie" wall this year).

There are no other combinations unless you start throwing in too many players, which you can't because both teams have limited roster spaces and don't want to just randomly put players on waivers. We could also make something work using LO, but of course no way we do that (it would negate the point of the trade in the first place). Vlad needs to be involved because he makes so much money to make the trades work under the cap.

Again though, it appears the above is not enough for New Jersey regardless of the hypo's. New Jersey will likely stand still, hope they win the Atlantic, and then make changes this summer.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
24 wrote:
TACH wrote:
24 wrote:
TACH wrote:

The point was, he's no more injury prone the Kobe and/or LO.... but research it, tell me,.. how many game compared to LO and Kobe...

I refuse to have a half-hearted argument with a guy who's avi is giving me the finger the whole time.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I refuse to have a half-hearted argument with a guy who's avi is giving me the finger the whole time.
cricket cricket cricket......
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
24 wrote:

cricket cricket cricket......

The finger and the last word? A man can only take so much!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

The fact that he has a 2.4:1 assist-to-turnover ratio and Stockton had a 2.8:1, the fact that he's averaging 6.2 PPG to Stockton's 5.6, as a rookie. In addition, Farmar is 19 and Stockton was 21, when they first came to the league.

Farmar also has an incredibly strong work ethic. His potential is A LOT higher than people think. In fact, after re-examining the evidence, I say absolutely no to that trade.

That's it? You're comparing 2 statlines in their rookie seasons and that's IT? That's enough for you to compare Farmar to Stock, a 1st-ballot HOFer? ....Not even close.
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

You forgot the part about age and work ethic. And yeah, when you try to project someone, that's what you go by, what else?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
You forgot the part about age and work ethic. And yeah, when you try to project someone, that's what you go by, what else?

Age and work ethic don't work enough either. No one knows how hard Stock worked. Some players are naturally gifted and don't have to work as hard as others, that's not to say Stock didn, but that's not a good reason either. Age doesn't mean anything either in this case. 2 years is nothing.

Farmar has yet to prove anything close to say he will become the next Stockton. He hasn't even played a full season yet to even warrant comparisons to HOFers.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

Age and work ethic don't work enough either. No one knows how hard Stock worked. Some players are naturally gifted and don't have to work as hard as others, that's not to say Stock didn, but that's not a good reason either. Age doesn't mean anything either in this case. 2 years is nothing.

Farmar has yet to prove anything close to say he will become the next Stockton. He hasn't even played a full season yet to even warrant comparisons to HOFers.

To be fair, neither had Stockton at the same point of his career. Players with potential and savvy are usually compared to existing greats with traits they emulate. It doesn't always work out, but that's what people do. Kind of the same logic behind everyone being royalty in a previous life.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, how about NEITHER!!

Look Kidd is great and all but he is 34 and getting over 20 Mil a year.

There is NO guarantee that he will step right into the tri and help us over the top. I'm sure he would add some value and skill sets that we don't have and we would be better.

However, at 20 mil he HAS TO TAKE US TO THE PROMISED LAND and I don't really have any faith that he can do that.

On top of that, we would be giving up either a big piece of the team if we trade Luke for him. It would take time for the team chemistry to adjust and for Kidd to pick up the tri. I think it sets us back a year before we see the real benefits of Kidd.

If you trade Farmer, it is a quick fix that gives away our future. I think Farmer will be our starting PG in the near future, if we keep him.

Kidd will be done as a top notch PG within 3 years. It gives us a 2 year window to work with him and then we are back to square one.

If he was 4 years younger I would love it. Farmer is going to be a good player, the guy has heart and too much will power to fail.
bluestorm1990
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Do we really want the lakers to deal with all that drama , whats stoping kidds ex-wife from moving to California and stalking all the players and harrasing them.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

I'll just say that I have a gut feeling about Farmer. That kid can play and he has really positive energy. If we trade him, I think it will come back to haunt us.

The kid is a winner and he will have an impact somewhere, if not here.

For me, I think we are almost there already. If Bynum improves and becomes the player we all think he will, then we will already be capable of winning it all. To then have another young player or two who steps up will surely keep us at the top.

If we sign Kidd, it's 3 years max and then we have to go back down while we find a new replacement. I'm not sold.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

To be fair, neither had Stockton at the same point of his career. Players with potential and savvy are usually compared to existing greats with traits they emulate. It doesn't always work out, but that's what people do. Kind of the same logic behind everyone being royalty in a previous life.

That's just it: Everyone can be compared to someone in the beginning because everyone has the "potential" to be like someone but it's useless to make those comparisons to begin with using that small of a sample.

Anybody remember Harold Miner and the MJ comparisons? How'd that work out for Harry? :roll:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: