Screw the Clips, Bucks Roster is the real threat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I think we match up really, really well against MIL, I hope it's a Lakers Bucks finals.
secund2nun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I agree. We match up very well against them. AD will kill the Lopez brothers. Their superstar is a mediocre shooter from 3 and FT and we have the best and deepest collection of rim protectors in the NBA. Also Giannis wins by bully ball, but he can't bull Lebron. Lebron is bigger and stronger. Giannis shoulders a huge scoring burden for that team. They are the opposite of the warriors. It's not a pick your poison type situation. Lebron can spend more time defending Giannis.

Also while the Bucks are very impressive and Giannis is a beast, it is still possible for them to not make the finals. His poor shooting is a critical flaw come playoff time and it's not a lock that his play will remain at the same level or increase come playoff time until proven otherwise. Just look at what happened against Toronto last year. He really struggled.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
Would you rather have Lakers break the bucks win streak? or the bucks lose before our matchup

I want Lakers to beat heat and give them a first home loss and end bucks streak

Atlanta almost took the chance from us tonight....they had Miami beat and allowed them to come back and tie the game.....then Miami rolled them in OT.
Yue_Fei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't think we match up well with the Bucks.

Despite our record, and outside the first game, we have outperformed when we have played teams without a viable stretch 5 playing big minutes (Utah and to a lesser extent Raptors) and we have under-performed against teams with multiple stretch 5s (Dallas and Phoenix).

The Bucks are vulnerable on the boards if we can draw Giannis out. Against Giannis, AD will have to shoot more threes to pull him out to allow Dwight and McGee to dominate on the offensive boards.

I also see George Hill, Korver and Ilyasova as potential problems for us off the bench, and Connaughton is a very nice defender off the bench too. The Bucks bench shut down Lou Williams on defense and stomped all over the Clippers bench on offense.

If the Bucks go small, with Giannis at the 5, our chances are improved. But AD guarding Brook Lopez is not the game winner some people think. All Lopez does is camp out at the 3 and AD won't be able to help. So we can get Lebron to cover Lopez as much as possible. But if I were the Bucks, if AD does not start on Lopez, I would try Giannis/Lopez pick and rolls to get AD to switch onto Lopez, just to limit AD on defense.

The way to beat the Bucks I think is Avery, KCP and Caruso hounding their guards full court, especially Middleton and Hill. Get Giannis to have to make plays one on one against AD with a short shot clock.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Yue_Fei wrote:

Despite our record, and outside the first game, we have outperformed when we have played teams without a viable stretch 5 playing big minutes (Utah and to a lesser extent Raptors) and we have under-performed against teams with multiple stretch 5s (Dallas and Phoenix).

The Bucks are vulnerable on the boards if we can draw Giannis out. Against Giannis, AD will have to shoot more threes to pull him out to allow Dwight and McGee to dominate on the offensive boards.

I also see George Hill, Korver and Ilyasova as potential problems for us off the bench, and Connaughton is a very nice defender off the bench too. The Bucks bench shut down Lou Williams on defense and stomped all over the Clippers bench on offense.

If the Bucks go small, with Giannis at the 5, our chances are improved. But AD guarding Brook Lopez is not the game winner some people think. All Lopez does is camp out at the 3 and AD won't be able to help. So we can get Lebron to cover Lopez as much as possible. But if I were the Bucks, if AD does not start on Lopez, I would try Giannis/Lopez pick and rolls to get AD to switch onto Lopez, just to limit AD on defense.

The way to beat the Bucks I think is Avery, KCP and Caruso hounding their guards full court, especially Middleton and Hill. Get Giannis to have to make plays one on one against AD with a short shot clock.

I hate to say it, but there is some truth to your post..the teams with multiple stretch 5's have given the Lakers a hard time. Even Minnesota with Towns, although we won the the game, the defense was ineffective. Make sense because by pulling AD to the perimeter, he loses the ability to protect the rim. And issue I have seen especially with the Raptors game, our guards are used to guarding players close and, thus, giving them a drive to the basket because they know there is rim protection.

The Lakers guards may have to adjust on this and try not to allow them man to get around them, but this make it harder to defend the 3.

I think the game would be a dog fight. Lebron would be difficult for them to guard because Giannis would guard AD. And I don't know how AD has done against Giannis in the past. but it seems like he should be able to score on him well.

So I think there are some things the Lakers can take advantage and vice versa. Because I think the Lakers have such strong chemistry, they should be able to pull out the win.
Gandalf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I think just about the only way to beat the Lakers is to go nuts on 3's THROUGHOUT the entire game.
Yue_Fei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:

I hate to say it, but there is some truth to your post..the teams with multiple stretch 5's have given the Lakers a hard time. Even Minnesota with Towns, although we won the the game, the defense was ineffective. Make sense because by pulling AD to the perimeter, he loses the ability to protect the rim. And issue I have seen especially with the Raptors game, our guards are used to guarding players close and, thus, giving them a drive to the basket because they know there is rim protection.

The Lakers guards may have to adjust on this and try not to allow them man to get around them, but this make it harder to defend the 3.

I think the game would be a dog fight. Lebron would be difficult for them to guard because Giannis would guard AD. And I don't know how AD has done against Giannis in the past. but it seems like he should be able to score on him well.

So I think there are some things the Lakers can take advantage and vice versa. Because I think the Lakers have such strong chemistry, they should be able to pull out the win.

One thing I saw, in the first game, is that if a team has one primary creator, you force them to use up more time getting set up in half court. Or shade them into areas where they are less effective at setting up their offense. Doc Rivers did this to us by hounding Lebron, and that tired him out at the end. We did this to the Mavs in the first game (although we almost lost even then).

The Bucks don't have a speedy guard who can just break you down if you press too closely full court. So I think the key is to hound their primary ball handlers full court, and don't switch on big men to keep AD closer to the basket to help. If it ends up with Brook Lopez shooting over Danny Green/LeBron/Caruso/Kuz 8-9 times a game, so be it. Brook Lopez is not going to win them a series. Keep AD in his best defensive spots.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Yue_Fei wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:

One thing I saw, in the first game, is that if a team has one primary creator, you force them to use up more time getting set up in half court. Or shade them into areas where they are less effective at setting up their offense. Doc Rivers did this to us by hounding Lebron, and that tired him out at the end. We did this to the Mavs in the first game (although we almost lost even then).

The Bucks don't have a speedy guard who can just break you down if you press too closely full court. So I think the key is to hound their primary ball handlers full court, and don't switch on big men to keep AD closer to the basket to help. If it ends up with Brook Lopez shooting over Danny Green/LeBron/Caruso/Kuz 8-9 times a game, so be it. Brook Lopez is not going to win them a series. Keep AD in his best defensive spots.

Great point and you know Bradley is the best at pressuring ball handlers. Give him this job, he will love it.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject:

The Bucks are a great squad. We are a great squad. That is what the NBA finals is for..who is best. As long as jackass pretenders like the clips or celts aren't in them...
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I hate to say it, but there is some truth to your post..the teams with multiple stretch 5's have given the Lakers a hard time. Even Minnesota with Towns, although we won the the game, the defense was ineffective. Make sense because by pulling AD to the perimeter, he loses the ability to protect the rim.

The Bucks' stretch 5s are shooting 30% from 3 (Lopez bros and Ilyasova, if you count him). Teams are ignoring Brook and Robin.

On Sunday, Towns was guarded mainly by our Centers, leaving AD on one of their small forwards, as they don't have any true PFs. At least with the Bucks, Giannis is a more natural matchup for AD.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject:

D-Dogg wrote:
The Bucks are a great squad. We are a great squad. That is what the NBA finals is for..who is best. As long as jackass pretenders like the clips or celts aren't in them...

Celtics lacks star power, 99% of the time, you don't win the title without a true superstar...
Clippers on the other hand, if (and it seems like a big if) Kawhi is healthy, they are a real threat, as much as we dislike it...
The bucks are great, I'm curious how Vogel will choose to defend Giannis : AD on him all game ?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
I hate to say it, but there is some truth to your post..the teams with multiple stretch 5's have given the Lakers a hard time. Even Minnesota with Towns, although we won the the game, the defense was ineffective. Make sense because by pulling AD to the perimeter, he loses the ability to protect the rim.

The Bucks' stretch 5s are shooting 30% from 3 (Lopez bros and Ilyasova, if you count him). Teams are ignoring Brook and Robin.

On Sunday, Towns was guarded mainly by our Centers, leaving AD on one of their small forwards, as they don't have any true PFs. At least with the Bucks, Giannis is a more natural matchup for AD.

This. Brook is inconsistent as hell. He won't get hot from 3 more than once in a 7 game series, his shooting is not a threat.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Yue_Fei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

This. Brook is inconsistent as hell. He won't get hot from 3 more than once in a 7 game series, his shooting is not a threat.

It would be very interesting to see how Vogel plays the Bucks. Will he keep AD and our shot blockers committed to help inside and let Lopez shoot over our wings? Lopez is also not a great shooter if he has to pump fake and move his feet a little. I think the best strategy is to close out on him with our wings, and on occasion, our centers. But keep AD on Giannis and in general help position.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

It would be very interesting to see how Vogel plays the Bucks. Will he keep AD and our shot blockers committed to help inside and let Lopez shoot over our wings? Lopez is also not a great shooter if he has to pump fake and move his feet a little. I think the best strategy is to close out on him with our wings, and on occasion, our centers. But keep AD on Giannis and in general help position.

I don't think AD can be guarding Giannis and helping on defense at the same time, so I think it's better to let AD be a help defender (with a priority to help on Giannis) in quarters 1-3 and shut down Giannis in the 4th.

The Bucks don't really have a lot of great shooters outside of Middleton and Korver. To put this into perspective, the Bucks are average leage-wide in terms of 3pt percentage at 35.6% (better at home than away). We are top 5 at 37% on the year (better away than at home), and I don't think many of us consider us to be a great 3pt shooting team.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I don't think AD can be guarding Giannis and helping on defense at the same time, so I think it's better to let AD be a help defender (with a priority to help on Giannis) in quarters 1-3 and shut down Giannis in the 4th.

The Bucks don't really have a lot of great shooters outside of Middleton and Korver. To put this into perspective, the Bucks are average leage-wide in terms of 3pt percentage at 35.6% (better at home than away). We are top 5 at 37% on the year (better away than at home), and I don't think many of us consider us to be a great 3pt shooting team.

We’ll see if the numbers stay in those ranges by the end of the season.
Still relatively early
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

So are we thinking Lebron guard Giannis? Or perhaps Green..in the Clippers game, Green guarded Kawhi and that worked well (when he guarded him, Kawhi went 4/10...but Kawhi got hot against KCP).
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

So are we thinking Lebron guard Giannis? Or perhaps Green..in the Clippers game, Green guarded Kawhi and that worked well (when he guarded him, Kawhi went 4/10...but Kawhi got hot against KCP).

I don’t see how in the world Green could guard Giannis
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

We’ll see if the numbers stay in those ranges by the end of the season.
Still relatively early

It's relatively early this season, but it's not like we've only played 5 games. I don't think the Bucks are going to miraculously jump into the top 5 after being average for 23 games (and at 35% all of the 82 games last year with Brogdon shooting 42.6% on roughly 4 attempts per game, so that's over 100 games that they've shot at roughly 35% and they lost arguably their best, or at least second best, shooter), and they are going to have to do that to be a threat against us because they are not scoring in the paint.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Yue_Fei wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I would experiment with Dwight, Green, and LeBron to give him different looks randomly throughout the game until AD locks him down late in the 4th. Obviously, with Green, you want to send help early and often, and that's where AD/McGee come in during quarters 1-3.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

An appetizer from last year

AD won the battle, but loss the war 123-115. Bucks had a better team. Greek Freak had a better Robin. I think the tables turn this year. Bron >>>> Middleton (like Middleton >> Holiday last year).

Stats
AD 27pts, 11rebs, 3a, 3blks (-13)
Greek Freak 25pts, 8rebs, 8a, 1blk (+9)

AD looked too quick for even Greek Freak, swatted him at the rim, took it to him in the open court, and AD hit four 3ptrs.

Greek Freak will have problems this year with AD with Javelle and Dwight by his side. The size and quickness advantages Giannis enjoys vs most team will be less vs our frontline.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
i saw this head to head stats between ad and giannis

12 games played
AD's team 8-4
Giannis' team 4-8

points per game
AD 26.7
Giannis 18.3

rebounds per game
AD 10.3
Giannis 6.8

assists per game
Giannis 4.2
AD 2.8

steals per game
AD 1.4
Giannis 1.3

blocks per game
AD 2.5
Giannis 1.3

Can't wait for that game I think Dwight could give Giannis trouble as well
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have the best squad on paper. We have TWO superstars at 2 most important positions (a defensive and scoring big and a playmaking and scoring guard/wing) and LBJ is a well-tested one. Other than AD, we have 3 times DPOY Howard and championship backup C McGee at center, not to mention the possible come back of Cousins. For playmaking, we’ve championship PG Rando, all defensive 1st team guard Bradley and two serviceable players KCP and Caruso behind LBJ. We’re relatively weak at wing IMO but we still have champion wing Green. It would be great if Lakers could upgrade their shooting and defense at wing.

McGee, Howard, Cousins
AD, (Kuzma)
LBJ, (Daniels), Dudley
Green, (KCP)
Bradley, Rando, Caruso, Cook

76ers is the only team could give a real threat to our bigs with experienced defensive big Horford and superstar C Embiid at front court. They’re good in transition too with Simmons key the ball and Harris run the court.

Clippers is team could give us true pressure at perimeters 2 superstar wings (FMVP, all NBA, all defensive talents) and scorer like Lou.

Bucks, Rockets have no match up to our bigs. Dallas, Celtics are still too young. Nuggets, Heats have no superstar.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Guys I been thinking, have the Bucks are as good as we think?

Is it just me or does it seem their schedule is kinda easy?

I see they faces the Rockets and beat them but this was early while Westbrook and Harden were still getting acquainted. They beat the Clippers recently but I have argued the Clippers aren’t good on the road

They beat the Jazz at home but lost on the road and we are seeing the Jazz aren’t as good as they seem to be. They beat the Raptors but are they really that good.

They played the Heat and Lost and the same for the Celtics.

Good teams they have yet to play Mavs 76ers Nuggets Lakers

This is not to say they aren’t capable of beating the Lakers just they I don’t have think there is enough evidence of that yet. 23-3 shows they are likely top 5. But it maybe the Heat are bigger threat from the east after all they played the Lakers close on Friday.

I think if they beat the Mavs on Monday they could indeed be worthy of comparison to the Lakers but I am not sure if the comparison is premature at this point
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Guys I been thinking, have the Bucks are as good as we think?

Is it just me or does it seem their schedule is kinda easy?

I see they faces the Rockets and beat them but this was early while Westbrook and Harden were still getting acquainted. They beat the Clippers recently but I have argued the Clippers aren’t good on the road

They beat the Jazz at home but lost on the road and we are seeing the Jazz aren’t as good as they seem to be. They beat the Raptors but are they really that good.

They played the Heat and Lost and the same for the Celtics.

Good teams they have yet to play Mavs 76ers Nuggets Lakers

This is not to say they aren’t capable of beating the Lakers just they I don’t have think there is enough evidence of that yet. 23-3 shows they are likely top 5. But it maybe the Heat are bigger threat from the east after all they played the Lakers close on Friday.

I think if they beat the Mavs on Monday they could indeed be worthy of comparison to the Lakers but I am not sure if the comparison is premature at this point

Frankly the league is bottom heavy. Lakers and Bucks are A+ teams..all other "good$ teams are B+. Bucks have won 18 in a row. They're 3 losses were in the first 10 games. They played 10 games without Middleton and won then all.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject:

Bucks seem to match up well against the clippers as they don't have a lineup with a stretch 5. It's either zubac or Trez at the 5.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17
Jump to: