What if our next PoBO is Masai Ujiri?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: What if our next PoBO is Masai Ujiri?

First of all, I think Masai is worshiped in Toronto and I don't think he's going to leave. There's the speculation that he's going to try hard to court Giannis to Toronto in 2021. We'll see how these two seasons play out for Giannis and the Raptors.

But there has been some speculation about Masai turning down offers, and that the Knicks are going to go after him.

One thing I don't see talked about yet is how the success of this year may catapult the Lakers into the Masai discussion as well. Rob Pelinka deserves a lot of credit. Frank Vogel seems like he's worth extending. Anthony Davis is a 26 year old two-way phenom that seems happy in LA. And we technically have the cap space in 2021 for a huge FA splash, depending on what Lebron does going forward.

I think the Lakers should go after Masai before 2021 FA. I think he's the perfect visionary to guide the Lakers through this decade, and can be a huge draw for Giannis, if not in 2021, then down the road. He's proven to maximize talent around the margins.

We were pining for him (and Bob Myers, Sam Presti, etc) as a replacement for Pelinka last summer, but what would Masai look like aside Rob and in this Lakers org?
LakergirlsFan710
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What if our next PoBO is Masai Ujiri?

levon wrote:
First of all, I think Masai is worshiped in Toronto and I don't think he's going to leave. There's the speculation that he's going to try hard to court Giannis to Toronto in 2021. We'll see how these two seasons play out for Giannis and the Raptors.

But there has been some speculation about Masai turning down offers, and that the Knicks are going to go after him.

One thing I don't see talked about yet is how the success of this year may catapult the Lakers into the Masai discussion as well. Rob Pelinka deserves a lot of credit. Frank Vogel seems like he's worth extending. Anthony Davis is a 26 year old two-way phenom that seems happy in LA. And we technically have the cap space in 2021 for a huge FA splash, depending on what Lebron does going forward.

I think the Lakers should go after Masai before 2021 FA. I think he's the perfect visionary to guide the Lakers through this decade, and can be a huge draw for Giannis, if not in 2021, then down the road. He's proven to maximize talent around the margins.

We were pining for him (and Bob Myers, Sam Presti, etc) as a replacement for Pelinka last summer, but what would Masai look like aside Rob and in this Lakers org?
Why would the success of this year catapult any discussion other than Giving Pelinka even more power, certainly not bringing someone else in, that makes zero sense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The Knicks need Masai Ujiri more then we do but if it happens that would be fantastic.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What if our next PoBO is Masai Ujiri?

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:
levon wrote:

Why would the success of this year catapult any discussion other than Giving Pelinka even more power, certainly not bringing someone else in, that makes zero sense.

Yeah, it makes no sense for either party to be honest. On Masai's end, if he's looking for the next challenge what exactly would taking a team that's already assembled to go all the way offer him?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Seems like organizations with both POBO and GM end up looking like clowns. I don't know where in history this position started up, but all we knew was Jerry West and his assistant, Mitch Kupchak. Then it was Mitch. Then we started to make things complicated and follow the NBA's fad of POBO. It's stupid.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What if our next PoBO is Masai Ujiri?

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:

My reasoning is that the Lakers looked like a dumpster fire like the Knicks do now. Not everyone's looking for a reclamation project; generally you want the culture to be somewhat navigable before coming onboard.

Plus, sustained dynastic success pretty much requires an embarrassment of riches.

Basically, I think this year so far has opened some eyes about our org, but there's no guarantee we'll be able to sustain this or win a title.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Does he know what it means to be a Laker? We already have our POBO, Lebron/Rich Paul.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I really encourage people to consider this scenario without cynicism and with an open mind.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I would try to get him. You are always trying to improve. He is better than Pelinka.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for it but I just don't see him being interested. I'd especially love to have him for the post-LBJ days. The problem is that we gave away a ton of draft assets to NO, making the job less appealing.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Okay now I’m triggered...

Why wouldn’t you improve if you could? It doesn’t have to be Masai, but our #1 targets/Plan As this summer were not achieved. And if the plan was to gain 3rd max types if we struck out on Kawhi/DLo, then we did a piss poor job of setting ourselves up for it now with the contracts we gave out and the draft capital we lost.

Whether it was a Magic or a Rob-led FO, the common denominator is that we had numerous leaks (from Luke getting "admonished" by Magic to Monty & Lue denying our requests to micromanage their money and coaching staff) and we prematurely dumped assets in the name for capspace that went unrealised (Jules, TB, Zu, Moe, Bonga, JJ all dumped for nothing).

Magic & Rob are just the face of our FO, but nothing about them screams they replaced their bibles with the CBA on their night stands. Ask yourself, who's the individual that brought Zu/Beas for Mus to Magic (when he actually was at the office) & Rob's desk? Who sold that trade proposal as the best available option to those guys? Zu was going to be a 1.5m caphold we could have renounced if we needed extra wiggle in our space and to acquire Mus's deal, all we needed was Beas's 3.5m outgoing salary to get that deal done. But not even a future 2nd rounder for Zu...or TB or Jules...smfh!

AD literally forced his way here and pretty much eliminated any other bidders for us, yet we it's debatable we gave up too much when he gave us the leverage. We gave up any control in trading our future 1sts till 2026 due to the Stepien rule. We even had dude waive his trade kicker (eliminating our chance at offering a max extension to lock him up asap) and turns out we didn't even need that extra space (ie Caruso, Boog and Cook were all small deals that didn't need cap, instead we could have bargained them down to vet min deals).

We're all happy with our current regular season record, but lets not act like that's the FO/coach's doing. Bron came here by himself and AD forced his way here for Bron/Klutch. You give Bron one star at the very least and dude has proven to take teams to the promise land (see Miami & Cleveland).

(bleep) even after going 73-9 during the regular season, the dubs still went out to go get KD. Our FO isn't infallible and our regular season doesn't justify us standing pat. Rob/Rambii, don't need to get fired...they just need someone to hold their hands till they gain experience. If there is an opportunity to get better, you take it.

Btw, the only dept that deserves little to no scrutiny is our scouting/drafting dept. They get a pass, meanwhile our team capologist has been ass.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Seems like organizations with both POBO and GM end up looking like clowns. I don't know where in history this position started up, but all we knew was Jerry West and his assistant, Mitch Kupchak. Then it was Mitch. Then we started to make things complicated and follow the NBA's fad of POBO. It's stupid.

Not quite. During pre/early showtime, Bill Sharman was GM and Pete Newell was President. In 82, West became GM and Sharman was elevated to President.

For the Shaq/Kobe teams, West (then Mitch) was GM and Jimmy was President-in-training. On the Gasol teams, Jimmy was the PBO.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Why punish Pelinka when he put together this roster?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
I really encourage people to consider this scenario without cynicism and with an open mind.

No
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why punish Pelinka when he put together this roster?

It should be looked at as getting Pelinka help, not punishment. It won’t happen, Jeanie has already shot that down. And if she were to fill the position, we have seen that she only surrounds herself with those that she is comfortable with. I doubt that she has a relationship with Uirji. Pelinka makes decisions after input from Lebron/AD/Klutch and I am sure that Jeanie is fine with that.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Magic had a large salary because of being LA Family. I don't know if Jeannie would get into a bidding war for somebody that isn't part of the LA Family.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Definitely need to bring back magic instead
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Honestly we do not need it. Pelinka showed he can handle things quite good.

I do not like all this story with GM and POBO. It is unnecessary. For me we need to have Pelinka in charge and good people to advise him. Phil, Worthy, Rambis, Lebron, Kobe and so on. No need for POBO. If he is surrounded with all these guys and their advice's we are more than good.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

You need bball minds like Kobe for sure to give Rob the Details for a successful game plan.

But you also need a CBA/cap think-tank (not just one dude) to bounce ideas and collaborate with Rob/Jesse/Rambii when we've been about the cap plan and still are (which now is in its '21 iteration).

LA draws stars, so the plan ain't faulty, but you need a better contingency then making your 35y/o superstar the full-time point gawd with just Rondo as the only legit backup.

For example, we wanted Kawhi to join Bron/AD for a 3star alignment. A better contingency when we struck out is going after Dragic (Heat are hardcapped and actually dealt dude to Dallas in the Jimmy S&t before Cuban reneged).

With Dragic as a salary dumped on us, we have a playmaker that allows Bron more off-ball to “rest” him and is a legit consistent 3rd option. Plus his 19m expiring deal is easier to aggregate for a max type player down the line, unlike Green's 14.6m deal and we would have grabbed the Miami 1st they included with Harkless that got rerouted from the cLips to OKC to secure them Kawhi via the George deal.

The 24-3 record is largely due to our 2 superstars and I don’t see how anybody can debate against that. So it’s in our best interest to protect them so that they ready to dominate when the real season starts. The way this team was constructed after we whiffed on Kawhi exposed our superstar duo to more duress and imo, the FO could have done better with that.

But hey, at least Dudz provides a better fan experience, so there's that.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Double post

Last edited by pjiddy on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Only thing that needs to change is giving the Rambii less input.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Not quite. During pre/early showtime, Bill Sharman was GM and Pete Newell was President. In 82, West became GM and Sharman was elevated to President.

For the Shaq/Kobe teams, West (then Mitch) was GM and Jimmy was President-in-training. On the Gasol teams, Jimmy was the PBO.

Good info, thank you. I didn't follow the titles closely. My point is Jerry West was the man, and you knew who to talk to in negotiations. When we were dealing with N.O. there was talk of whether or not Demsey had power. When we were recruiting, people were saying some only want to talk to Magic. The clowns in NY, who's accountable over there?

These executives are at the mercy of timing and luck. If Masai was our guy, I would be pissed at all that money for Lowry. Or the fact that he couldn't flip him in his earlier years for something. But for some reason, Lowry has been hailed on a pedestal in Toronto. SAS says Masai wouldn't move Pascal for PG13. Well why wouldn't he? Wouldn't you need to use the same logic as the Clippers? That you're trading for both PG13 and KL, not just one of them? In which case, it is absolutely stupid to choose pascal over KL and PG13. If that's true, wouldn't you be pissed as a Raptor fan?

I'm not against getting Masai. I wouldn't lose sleep over losing Pelinka. I just think there is no exact science to upper management.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject:

Masai could not retain Kawhi...
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject:

Thats position is saved for Pelinka or Buss kids.

Pelinka becoming President and one of Buss kids becoming GM probably way to go.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

We're doing fine without a POBO. Let's just keep it that way. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Just let Rob run the show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: