BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/26 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:

Wolf, I WOULD excuse Lamar in this game. His TOs yesterday are nothing but timing coming back. Yes, he did have his share of TOs before as well. None-the-less, he gets a pass this time.

It seemed clear a couple of his turnovers were due to rust. I mean a soft lag pass at mid court?? That was definitely something you usually don't see from him. I think one of his other charges also looked like a bit of indecision and bad timing.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject:

D Nice wrote:
Yup. That's the key. The thing is usually you can see early which guys will be mean and which won't. I'm not seeing that from Drew.

I disagree. I think what you see as a lack of meanness is him still learning to play above the rim...which he has improved upon quite a bit from last year, in case people forget. As for meanness:

For reference, see Forearm, Shaq.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
At the risk of causing a big uproar: I really think we should decrease the time that Kobe has to bring the ball down the floor. We keep seeing Kobe exposing the ball, for turnovers, and we don't adjust. My feeling is that Kobe should be running the wing, and working himself open.

Overall, the Bobcats were able to apply too much pressure. Hate to say it, or even think it, but the Lakers just wilted under the pressure. I think this may be the key. We just wilt under increased pressure. Teams are learning, that if they apply just enough pressure, we fall apart. We lose confidence, in our teamplay, and we turn everything over to Kobe. When Kobe becomes the main guy, teams only have one person to stop.

Ironically: it may just be, that the stronger contenders are so confident, that they don't even think of applying increased pressure. The stronger teams are probably so confident, of their star players, that they just continue playing at the same pace. In effect, the stronger teams give the Lakers a chance to stay together, and make comebacks. [just my theory]

Another reason to trade for Kidd if there is any chance of getting him.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

If only the Lakers were as consistent every game as DB is.

Horrible game, great write up. Thanks.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I wouldn't say they were inconsistent. They seem to have this losing to bad teams thing down pretty good. Very consistent in that. It's sad that I already had my headline written up before the game started.

(Thanks, LL)
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Andrew continues to make great progress. His 16 boards were the most by a Laker center since Chris Mihm pulled down 17 a little over 2 years ago. The 7 blocks were the most by a Laker since Shaq swatted 8 verse the Spurs in Game 3 of the '04 Western Conference Semifinals.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Matt Carroll scored only 1 point tonight againt Gstate
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject:

^^^And that only goes to show you that even a busted clock is right twice a day. This is the NBA. These are professionals. Every now and again even bad players have good games. And every now and again great players will be so-so or do things like turn the ball over alot.

It happens.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject:

DB - As always, enjoying your analysis and response.

Re: Tempo
Phil has stated that he wants to slow the tempo down once LO is back on the court. With Luke out, they might slow down the tempo much because only LO, Kobe and/or Jordan are able to play effectively in half court sets.

Re: Smush
This game highlights the pros and cons of his game. Since Smush is unable to bring the ball up the court to initiate the offense places more burden/pressure on the other ball-handlers such as LO/Kobe/Evans/Sasha/Luke (before he was injuried) that often results in unnecessary TOs and having them work harder to get clean shots. With Luke (smart ballplayer who is able to effective initiate the offense/pass the ball/make smart decisions), Smush inabilities will be more exposed.

Re: Mental Toughness
The same players that beat the Mavs have lost to the Bobcats - amazingly. (Note: Phil stated that on the Knicks team that he played on and won in the NBA Finals lost two times to the Philadelphia 76ers when they had the worst record in the league). Physically they are the same against both teams, but mentally they were not and it's up to Phil/Kobe to teach them to anniliate the bad teams.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject:

We thought we were going to be playing with the pet (bleep)... We put out a saucer of milk, and said "...here, kitty, kitty..."... Next thing you know, we got big gaping scratches all over us...

Same thing happens, everytime. We need to learn what we're up against, when we play these young expansion teams. These teams are looking to make a name for themselves.

When we meet the teams, with better records, and better history, they have nothing to prove... The better teams just play us a good, standard, fundamental game. The hungrier teams come to scrap!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: