OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

^^^ agree, I still believe underneath of all the smiling faces buried a volcanic problem. The front office is still being separated by two sides: Jeanie buss, Rambis couple, Pelinka and Kobe one one side, LeBron, Klutch and AD on the other side. Things are going well now so we don’t hear anything, and I hope it keeps this way forever.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
Gotta again agree with 17+.

Sure, Lakers have a nice record, but its all due to LBJ and AD, in spite of the bad roster construction by Pelinka. So Pelinka gets rewarded for bad roster construction? Great. Most people would get fired when they do a bad job.

And to praise Pelinka for Vogel's hiring? LOL Vogel was like the 5th choice! It may turn out ok or good, but don't tell me Pelinka (and the rest of the FO) knew what the bleep he was doing during the coaching search. So Pelinka shows his inexperience during a coaching search, yet gets promoted? Great.

Look, it's obvious. Pelinka is a "favorite" in the company due to Kobe. We have some "favorites" at my company..........people who suck at their job, but they kissed butt to certain people (or worse, wrongfully back-stabbed colleagues) and got promoted. I'm sure this happens at most or at a lot of companies.

Can I get an amen!? And I swear I woulda said that without the shout out!

Uh let’s trade everything for AD...a guy that used his pops and the Klutch mafioso to get here. Hey that’s a brilliant idea Rob...why didn’t I think of it haha. So many cap maddening things about that trade that still got me smfh. But he got it done so props to him...and Gayle for dumping Demps...and Griff...and getting gifted the #4 and them the #1....and of course Bron/Rich/Klutch/ADSr.

Promotions for everybody.

Btw, did y’all see the Kobe “All The Smoke” interview. He had some praise for Rob...and then boom! The promotion/extension! Jeanie loves those legacy contracts.

Speaking of which, I got my hopes up for that vacant Prez position, but if I’m being sincere with myself, I’m almost certain they didn’t name Rob PoBO cause that could possibly cut Magic’s heart strings some and we know what his Take would be if he felt like that knife was out again. Jeanie knows haha.

Now let’s all pray (along with Rob) for a more robust playoff roster and possibly an individual he can call President one day...unless it’s already Kurt or Linda
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Good, stuff Rob.
Now bring it home w/ the trade and buyouts.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Congrats Rob!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Rob on the promotion. Even though I feel a way about him giving away BI, without negotiating, it is well deserved. This also makes room for them to hire an experienced gm.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Kobe mentioned why Rob deserved praise. He never called Rob brilliant on every trade. He said if you look at what Rob inherited.

0 all-stars.
With Luol Deng and Mozgov contracts.
No FA wanting to come to LA.
No star player even wanting to force a trade to LA.
No lottery pick that was showing superstar lead the franchise promise (see Luka Doncic if you know what I mean).

And in 2 years, look where they are.

That doesn't make Rob elite. Just good at executing the plan he, Magic, Jeanie and the rest had.

Anyone want Jimbo back - or yearning to be the Charlotte Bobcats?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

In Rob We Trust
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:

Sure, Lakers have a nice record, but its all due to LBJ and AD, in spite of the bad roster construction by Pelinka. So Pelinka gets rewarded for bad roster construction? Great. Most people would get fired when they do a bad job.

And to praise Pelinka for Vogel's hiring? LOL Vogel was like the 5th choice! It may turn out ok or good, but don't tell me Pelinka (and the rest of the FO) knew what the bleep he was doing during the coaching search. So Pelinka shows his inexperience during a coaching search, yet gets promoted? Great.

Look, it's obvious. Pelinka is a "favorite" in the company due to Kobe. We have some "favorites" at my company..........people who suck at their job, but they kissed butt to certain people (or worse, wrongfully back-stabbed colleagues) and got promoted. I'm sure this happens at most or at a lot of companies.

Respectfully, this is a really odd take. Basic logic suggests that a team with a great record has at least good roster construction because it's a team sport. Plenty of teams that have had multiple superstars have performed worse. Some Lakers teams, in fact.

I agree that the Lakers are not as well set up to compete without their Big 2 as, say, the Clippers or Celtics. But that's due in large part to the AD trade. And if they didn't acquire AD, they wouldn't be winning like this. Also, neither the Clips nor the Celtics would have anywhere as near as good a recods as they have if they were without Kawhi/PG or Kemba/Tatum (Kemba/Brown?).

Yes, I'd like to have some different role players, but the ones we have are tough vets who are willing to defer to help the team win, and most are playoff-tested. What's wrong with that? It seems like a logical approach to team-building around Lebron.

And as far as the coaching hire goes, maybe Pelinka got a little lucky with Vogel. But I think that the team would have a pretty similar record under Lue or Monty Williams. And you know why? Because of the roster.

You say that most people would get fired for doing a bad job. The primary metric for a pro sports team GM is how much the team wins. So how has Pelinka done a bad job this season?
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Too early for a promotion imo. They should wait until the season is over before they start [inappropriate remark deleted -CL]
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Can I get an amen!? And I swear I woulda said that without the shout out!

Uh let’s trade everything for AD...a guy that used his pops and the Klutch mafioso to get here. Hey that’s a brilliant idea Rob...why didn’t I think of it haha. So many cap maddening things about that trade that still got me smfh. But he got it done so props to him...and Gayle for dumping Demps...and Griff...and getting gifted the #4 and them the #1....and of course Bron/Rich/Klutch/ADSr.

Promotions for everybody.

Btw, did y’all see the Kobe “All The Smoke” interview. He had some praise for Rob...and then boom! The promotion/extension! Jeanie loves those legacy contracts.

Speaking of which, I got my hopes up for that vacant Prez position, but if I’m being sincere with myself, I’m almost certain they didn’t name Rob PoBO cause that could possibly cut Magic’s heart strings some and we know what his Take would be if he felt like that knife was out again. Jeanie knows haha.

Now let’s all pray (along with Rob) for a more robust playoff roster and possibly an individual he can call President one day...unless it’s already Kurt or Linda

That was an amazing podcast. Kobe was also on the podcast Knuckleheads with Quentin Richardson and Darius Miles. That was another great interview.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kobe mentioned why Rob deserved praise. He never called Rob brilliant on every trade. He said if you look at what Rob inherited.

0 all-stars.
No lottery pick that was showing superstar lead the franchise promise (see Luka Doncic if you know what I mean).

That doesn't make Rob elite. Just good at executing the plan he, Magic, Jeanie and the rest had.

Thank you.

1 - "bad roster construction" is playing .800+ basketball with LeBron averaging career low minutes and AD near his career low.

2 - "lucky hire of 5th choice Vogel" ignores that Vogel was already onboard to be the lead assistant.

3 - "failure to address holes" forgets that no team in the salary cap era has ever had a perfectly built team. The 3-Peat Lakers patched up the PG spot with Ron Harper/Derek Fisher/Lindsey Hunter as starters in successive seasons, started Glenn Rice/Rick Fox at SF and plugged in AC Green/Horace Grant/Samaki Walker at PF. 3 of those guys were practically on walkers and another 3 had no business playing in the NBA . . . but the team made it work.

Kudos to Pelinka. The haters should get used to the taste of his ass.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject:

^ good stuff.
Not sure why fans are over-worrying abourt our flaws when we're .800+.
I would hold off on worrying until after the trade deadline. And even then, I would hold off until the last day for waived players to be allowed on the playoff roster.

If we don't have a wing defender and/or a secondary play maker by march 1 -- Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline, then I'll worry a bit.
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject:

one good point i heard on a podcast was that now other GMs cant think they can take advantage of Rob being under preassure to make a deal since he got extended
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

0 all-stars.

A monkey could have done what Rob did. Not to mention the fact that we botched a chance at multiple rings by going all out for Lebron James. If we don’t win a title this will be a forgotten spell in Laker land in no time.

This team should be either KL/PG/AD or KL/PG/BI/Lonzo. Instead we have LBJ/AD.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

i m a fan of results. If Rob somehow drive us to a ring, then he ll deserve a movie for him like moneyball
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

0 all-stars.

A monkey could have done what Rob did. Not to mention the fact that we botched a chance at multiple rings by going all out for Lebron James. If we don’t win a title this will be a forgotten spell in Laker land in no time.

Why do you assume that KL or PG would have signed for us? The only FA superstar that signed with us in the last 20 year was LeBron, nobody trusted in Lonzo and BI being part of a championship team. Also, PG resigned with OKC weeks before LeBron signed with us.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

0 all-stars.

If a monkey could have done that, then why did our 2 monkeys Jim and Mitch fail to sign a significant free agent or trade for a superstar in the last 5 years of their era? They definitely tried, and even did make some significant moves but they all backfired.

I mean, to say this is easy, is ridiculous. Tell me, why are the Knicks not where we are today?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject:

Rob deserves credit for surviving the dumpster fire when Magic was here. I won’t cry over the second best record in the NBA.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
i m a fan of results. If Rob somehow drive us to a ring, then he ll deserve a movie for him like moneyball

Rob Lowe's patiently waiting to see how the season unfolds so he can audition for the lead.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Rob deserves credit for surviving the dumpster fire when Magic was here. I won’t cry over the second best record in the NBA.

Let’s hang that second best record banner. I’m really sad at the lowered expectations that we have accepted.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

Let’s hang that second best record banner. I’m really sad at the lowered expectations that we have accepted.

It’s January bro.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

But you fellate the Clippers and their 6th best record.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

But you fellate the Clippers and their 6th best record.

If the Lakers win is because they are stupid as the regular season does not matter. However if the Lakers start losing it means that they are just a joke team with 1 aging star, 1 star that never did anything alone and a buch of mediocre/bad players.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

Being satisfied that the team currently has the second best record in the league does not mean that it doesn't matter how the season ends. But of course, you know that already.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
^^^ agree, I still believe underneath of all the smiling faces buried a volcanic problem. The front office is still being separated by two sides: Jeanie buss, Rambis couple, Pelinka and Kobe one one side, LeBron, Klutch and AD on the other side. Things are going well now so we don’t hear anything, and I hope it keeps this way forever.

This is a terrible take overall, but the fact that you actually think Kobe is involved in any of this is the icing on the cake.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 109 of 243
Jump to: