OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:
Rob deserves credit for surviving the dumpster fire when Magic was here. I won’t cry over the second best record in the NBA.

Let’s hang that second best record banner. I’m really sad at the lowered expectations that we have accepted.

It’s January bro.

Exactly my point.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kobe mentioned why Rob deserved praise. He never called Rob brilliant on every trade. He said if you look at what Rob inherited.

0 all-stars.
With Luol Deng and Mozgov contracts.
No FA wanting to come to LA.
No star player even wanting to force a trade to LA.
No lottery pick that was showing superstar lead the franchise promise (see Luka Doncic if you know what I mean).

And in 2 years, look where they are.

That doesn't make Rob elite. Just good at executing the plan he, Magic, Jeanie and the rest had.

Anyone want Jimbo back - or yearning to be the Charlotte Bobcats?

Thank you.

1 - "bad roster construction" is playing .800+ basketball with LeBron averaging career low minutes and AD near his career low.

2 - "lucky hire of 5th choice Vogel" ignores that Vogel was already onboard to be the lead assistant.

3 - "failure to address holes" forgets that no team in the salary cap era has ever had a perfectly built team. The 3-Peat Lakers patched up the PG spot with Ron Harper/Derek Fisher/Lindsey Hunter as starters in successive seasons, started Glenn Rice/Rick Fox at SF and plugged in AC Green/Horace Grant/Samaki Walker at PF. 3 of those guys were practically on walkers and another 3 had no business playing in the NBA . . . but the team made it work.

Kudos to Pelinka. The haters should get used to the taste of his ass.

Well damn Dr. O’Neal...your ass I’ll taste cause I’m a fan. That other guy, still has to prove his ass is worth tasting doe.

Don’t get me wrong, with the extension, this dude is now in place and his success means our success...so I’m not rooting against him and I want him to kill it! I’m happy he’s navigating the field with Kuz cause that acknowledges that he knows the roster has holes/weaknesses that need addressing. But to this point, dude has not been able to close on our plan As...and imho his contingencies have not been ideal or well thought out.

1. In 37 games or fewer played, in comparison to his cohorts, Bron has the 5th most total minutes in the league. Only PJ Tucker is comparable in age and doesn’t quite have the offensive responsibilities/usage and 17 years of wear & tear like Bron has. Dude is avg less mpg cause of games we have routed teams in. Even with those outliers, his total minutes are ridiculous and why you acting like his mpg @ 35y/o should stand out from the rest of his body of work when he was younger. Consider this, unless you count Simmons/Tobias or Dame/CJ as superstars, our duo are the only superstars getting the type of run they’re getting compared to the league. Not even MDA is running Harden/Russ the way we running Bron/AD. If I had to guess how Bron’s ass taste, it’s probably burnt. #LeBurnOut

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=MIN&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&CF=GP*LE*37

2. Vogs was supposed to be a lead assistant to Lue IF Thibs decided he didn’t want that position and rather be a HC for another squad instead. Bron & Lue both wanted Thibs as the lead assistant with Vogs as the contingency. So Rob couldn’t close on our 1st choice of both head coach and lead assistant as well as our top choice in a max free agent. Yet dude gets an extension/promotion?! Wild!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lebronwire.usatoday.com/2019/05/07/lebron-has-utmost-respect-for-thibodeau-wants-him-on-lakers-staff/amp/

3. We had 34m in potential cap space to fill the roster with a combo of shooting & playmaking...instead Bron is playing lead point gawd...a role he’s never played in his 17 years in the league outside the first 2 weeks into his rookie campaign at age 18. It was so newsworthy this past summer that Haynes had to report it as such. 34m in cap space and you couldn’t find a salary dump trade or free agents to find Bron a starting point. Wtf?!

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lakers-intend-to-start-le-bron-james-at-point-guard-184422305.html

Btw if I had to take a stab at what Rob’s backside probably tastes like, it would be a slice of heaven. That (bleep) would pair well with some freshly baked manna. Yum! Now pass the knife and lets cut some cheese...
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

This team is only good because of LeBron and AD and Pelinka doesn't deserve any credit. Something something margins.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 32-7 and up 5 losses on number 2 team in west. But pelinka is just lucky and everyone else set him up. This of course is what everyone was saying last June.

Also. Pelinka not getting a great supporting cast is because he was trying to sign KL. If he didn’t try for that he’d be getting shredded to pieces here. He’s doing a terrific job sans Earvin Loud Mouth.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Haha. Oh you must’ve forgot. Loud mouth Earvin helped Rob get the ball rolling on MozDeng (#NeverForget) that brought us Klutch/Bron/AD in the first place.

But whether it’s Erv or Rob, they take a hacksaw to our cap sheet, when they shoulda finessed it.

Waiting on Kawhi killed the market for the guys we did end up signing anyways, yet 27m went to Green/Kcp/McGee...2of which we had some form of bird rights to. The Cp3/Russ swap happened after Kawhi. i don’t know, but maybe the 34m in cap with teams hardcapped and needing to come off salary could have led to a more rounded out roster WITH more assets/flexibility at our arsenal to trade with this deadline.

For example, hardcapped Miami wanted a star to pair with Butler and Okc held some of Miami’s future picks...maybe Dragic & some draft capital spring loose into our 34m vacancy. Oh and if y’all wanted Green so bad, Dragic makes 19m, leaving Green’s salary demands. Oh, what about Kcp? If Kawhi got signed, the most we could give him anyways was the room exception , so we still coulda had that earmarked for him. Oh, what about Boog, Cook, Av and McGee? What about em? There was no market for them at that point. Either take Dallas’s money or take our vet min that pays y’all roughly 700k-1.5m less than what you making now.

Btw, maybe we should sit Bron/AD and if we keep the 1st seed till the postseason starts, Rob earned his props and is king...if not, then we possibly lose a few games to drop to the 2nd seed to face Okc in the first round and progress to dismantle them again w/o Bron & AD. Now that duo is rested for the 2nd round and we ball out! Then after the parade Rob will get another extension and get the president’s chair this time.

#MarginallyDeloseonal
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
This team is only good because of LeBron and AD and Pelinka doesn't deserve any credit. Something something margins.

Yet they beat a red hot team on the road by double digits... without Lebron, AD, or Danny Green. Pelinka has surrounded those two with a pretty good roster.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Haha. Oh you must’ve forgot. Loud mouth Earvin helped Rob get the ball rolling on MozDeng (#NeverForget) that brought us Klutch/Bron/AD in the first place.

But whether it’s Erv or Rob, they take a hacksaw to our cap sheet, when they shoulda finessed it.

Waiting on Kawhi killed the market for the guys we did end up signing anyways, yet 27m went to Green/Kcp/McGee...2of which we had some form of bird rights to. The Cp3/Russ swap happened after Kawhi. i don’t know, but maybe the 34m in cap with teams hardcapped and needing to come off salary could have led to a more rounded out roster WITH more assets/flexibility at our arsenal to trade with this deadline.

For example, hardcapped Miami wanted a star to pair with Butler and Okc held some of Miami’s future picks...maybe Dragic & some draft capital spring loose into our 34m vacancy. Oh and if y’all wanted Green so bad, Dragic makes 19m, leaving Green’s salary demands. Oh, what about Kcp? If Kawhi got signed, the most we could give him anyways was the room exception , so we still coulda had that earmarked for him. Oh, what about Boog, Cook, Av and McGee? What about em? There was no market for them at that point. Either take Dallas’s money or take our vet min that pays y’all roughly 700k-1.5m less than what you making now.

Btw, maybe we should sit Bron/AD and if we keep the 1st seed till the postseason starts, Rob earned his props and is king...if not, then we possibly lose a few games to drop to the 2nd seed to face Okc in the first round and progress to dismantle them again w/o Bron & AD. Now that duo is rested for the 2nd round and we ball out! Then after the parade Rob will get another extension and get the president’s chair this time.

#MarginallyDeloseonal

We get it. You’re a magic fan. And don’t like pelinka. Mostly just a magic fan since anything good the Lakers have done you attribute to him and pelinka is just a lucky guy. Seriously you’ve posted the same thing 100 x over many threads. Lakers are 32-7. I’m not searching for ways to destroy pelinka by arguing he should have traded for dragic and a crappy first.

Also. For the millionth time. Lakers were waiting to sign Leonard. Which was the right move. You want to argue that pelinka should have realized earlier they weren’t getting him, fine. His fall back After that is still a great, top 2-4 team.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject:

^ I for one love that record.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

#MarginallyDeloseonal

We get it. You’re a magic fan. And don’t like pelinka. Mostly just a magic fan since anything good the Lakers have done you attribute to him and pelinka is just a lucky guy. Seriously you’ve posted the same thing 100 x over many threads. Lakers are 32-7. I’m not searching for ways to destroy pelinka by arguing he should have traded for dragic and a crappy first.

Also. For the millionth time. Lakers were waiting to sign Leonard. Which was the right move. You want to argue that pelinka should have realized earlier they weren’t getting him, fine. His fall back After that is still a great, top 2-4 team.

I get it...you like following my posts...even keeping a loose count. But damn I said it only 100xs...I gotta step my game up.

I appreciate Magic’s 5 ring contribution to the cause, but pay attention...over my 100xs saying the same thing, I have mentioned Magic, like Rob, is a legacy hire and Jeanie needs to look outside the Laker tree for a top exec. I also mentioned in the post you quoted me on, that both Magic and Rob have taken a hacksaw to our cap sheet. So yeah pay attention if you’re following me around. I’m a fan of Magic the player, but I’ll criticize him as an exec when it demands it. Meanwhile you and your loud mouth posts seem to be completely unbiased huh?

https://media.giphy.com/media/11a8FLrVeoLnna/giphy.gif

Btw, I’m sorry I haven’t returned the favor by following your posts, so Im not aware of the million times you mentioned that Rob was waiting on Kawhi and his scrambling the free agent barrel is justified due to our regular season record. I’m not searching for ways to destroy Rob...NBA twitter has already done that with the Heath Ledger thing (and ironically he liked knives too). I have maintained that Rob keep his job and someone that’s more cap savvy join him in the FO to hold his hand and navigate the CBA together till he can fly solo.

If you sincerely believe that turning a 35y/o Bron in his 17th season into the starting point guard for the entire regular season is a good idea for postseason success, then I’m sorry, but I got to laugh haha, cause that type of setup is a joke. But hey a 32-7 record ftw and it’s cause of games like Okc where we didn’t need our star point gawd to do it. I’ll just leave this here doe.

NETrtgs w/o LeBron James on the floor

AD: -6.3
Rondo: -7.2
Kuz: -11.5
DG: 1.7
D39: -6.6
Caruso: 0.3
KCP: -4.5
AB: -11.1
JaVale: -1.3
Daniels: -4.4
Cook: -1.8
Dudley: -8.2

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustRyCole/status/1214281637317373952

But still we killed Okc without Bron, so Rob is immune from a critique cause of the amazing roster he constructed on the fly...cause of that fun guy. And here I thought Rob was the only one trying to tell stories.

#CoolStoryBro
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

#MarginallyDeloseonal

I get it...you like following my posts...even keeping a loose count. But damn I said it only 100xs...I gotta step my game up.

I appreciate Magic’s 5 ring contribution to the cause, but pay attention...over my 100xs saying the same thing, I have mentioned Magic, like Rob, is a legacy hire and Jeanie needs to look outside the Laker tree for a top exec. I also mentioned in the post you quoted me on, that both Magic and Rob have taken a hacksaw to our cap sheet. So yeah pay attention if you’re following me around. I’m a fan of Magic the player, but I’ll criticize him as an exec when it demands it. Meanwhile you and your loud mouth posts seem to be completely unbiased huh?

https://media.giphy.com/media/11a8FLrVeoLnna/giphy.gif

Btw, I’m sorry I haven’t returned the favor by following your posts, so Im not aware of the million times you mentioned that Rob was waiting on Kawhi and his scrambling the free agent barrel is justified due to our regular season record. I’m not searching for ways to destroy Rob...NBA twitter has already done that with the Heath Ledger thing (and ironically he liked knives too). I have maintained that Rob keep his job and someone that’s more cap savvy join him in the FO to hold his hand and navigate the CBA together till he can fly solo.

If you sincerely believe that turning a 35y/o Bron in his 17th season into the starting point guard for the entire regular season is a good idea for postseason success, then I’m sorry, but I got to laugh haha, cause that type of setup is a joke. But hey a 32-7 record ftw and it’s cause of games like Okc where we didn’t need our star point gawd to do it. I’ll just leave this here doe.

NETrtgs w/o LeBron James on the floor

AD: -6.3
Rondo: -7.2
Kuz: -11.5
DG: 1.7
D39: -6.6
Caruso: 0.3
KCP: -4.5
AB: -11.1
JaVale: -1.3
Daniels: -4.4
Cook: -1.8
Dudley: -8.2

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustRyCole/status/1214281637317373952

But still we killed Okc without Bron, so Rob is immune from a critique cause of the amazing roster he constructed on the fly...cause of that fun guy. And here I thought Rob was the only one trying to tell stories.

#CoolStoryBro

If you can do better then prove it.

#BannersOverBillboards
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject:

Think Rob deserves a bunch of credit for this team.

He targeted a ton of the right type of vets and it’s worked. It’s not perfect obviously, but it sure as hell is better than what we’ve had for the past half decade.

If he signs Darren Collison, just give him executive of the year.

Also his biggest sign was Dwight Howard. That took balls IMO given how that ended last time. That could have been a massive blow up for this team given his reputation and his history with the fans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

Some people got so used to rooting for players development and ignoring the wins, they forgot all about what it meant to be for, at least if you are the Lakers. To whole point about that is to get the players so good so that you are in position to win titles. Lakers do not celebrate being good once in a while, They want to win titles and put on a title level team. The way some of the fanbase had to endure the losing, we have seen a shift in how some look at the game. Now its become more about the players than the team.

Being angry with Rob because he has traded away those players to get a finished product, and then positioning the Lakers well for both the present and 2 years from now, IMO, it is because the Lakers had to endure so much losing for so long, a mentality began by the end era of the Jim Buss Mitch Kupchak era, where some would justify signing Mozgov-Deng as free agents and being a bad team so long as DAngelo Russell developed ...... I mean when Rob came to the Lakers. One of his first moves was to trade DLO and Mozgov and get capspace to sign Lebron, and Kyle Kuzma. That to me showed intention - it showed purpose. They had a plan, they stuck with it. Some mistakes after that, but the longterm plan was solid and they executed it amid some madness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject:

Some people forgot that in the last 6 years we have been more years outside the playoff than in the rest of the Lakers history. This year we are going to break that losing record and we will even fight for the championship.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Some people got so used to rooting for players development and ignoring the wins, they forgot all about what it meant to be for, at least if you are the Lakers. To whole point about that is to get the players so good so that you are in position to win titles. Lakers do not celebrate being good once in a while, They want to win titles and put on a title level team. The way some of the fanbase had to endure the losing, we have seen a shift in how some look at the game. Now its become more about the players than the team.

Being angry with Rob because he has traded away those players to get a finished product, and then positioning the Lakers well for both the present and 2 years from now, IMO, it is because the Lakers had to endure so much losing for so long, a mentality began by the end era of the Jim Buss Mitch Kupchak era, where some would justify signing Mozgov-Deng as free agents and being a bad team so long as DAngelo Russell developed ...... I mean when Rob came to the Lakers. One of his first moves was to trade DLO and Mozgov and get capspace to sign Lebron, and Kyle Kuzma. That to me showed intention - it showed purpose. They had a plan, they stuck with it. Some mistakes after that, but the longterm plan was solid and they executed it amid some madness.

Great post pac, very well stated.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

+1
Hopefully it'll be an eye opener for folks
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Because of RP and company, we not only have a stellar win/loss record, we're the only team in the league to not lose to an opponent under .500. It's a great time to be a Laker fan.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Rob pelinka is a snake.... this was all magic....
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Because of RP and company, we not only have a stellar win/loss record, we're the only team in the league to not lose to an opponent under .500. It's a great time to be a Laker fan.

Rob took the analytics approach to roster construction. Max out your dollars on your stars, and pay as little as possible to role players to avoid any MozDeng like scenarios. The only exception is Danny Green.
J
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

His contingency plans have produced great results thus far. Perhaps even better than his initial choices. Would Lue's vision as head coach have been better than Vogel? Boogie over Howard? Even though they're heavily reliant on LeBron as a playmaker, his selection of players post-Kawhi have great chemistry and that's important towards winning. No one has qualms about their role or playing time.

Still curious if they are for real. Great road wins against the Mavs, Nuggets, and Heat show their dominance. But losses against the Bucks and Clippers give pause.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Rob took the analytics approach to roster construction. Max out your dollars on your stars, and pay as little as possible to role players to avoid any MozDeng like scenarios. The only exception is Danny Green.

True about DG, but the Mavs went after him hard and reportedly offered more money than we did. So still got him lower than market rate.
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Great post!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

+1
Hopefully it'll be an eye opener for folks

Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
HBLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:
Rob deserves credit for surviving the dumpster fire when Magic was here. I won’t cry over the second best record in the NBA.

Let’s hang that second best record banner. I’m really sad at the lowered expectations that we have accepted.

It’s January bro.

Exactly my point.

Been bumping heads with you for over a decade VLF. This year couldn’t agree with you more. Hope we are both wrong but I feel exactly what you feel about this year. We are far.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Let me preface this with my highest hopes of the kids was with BI and frankly I wasn’t the biggest fan of Mintz’s kids (ie DLo and Jules).

I wasn’t invested in them putting up numbers for us. I was looking at them as assets to use in getting better.

Folks want to make this about Magic vs Rob, but fact remains both of them are novices as far as team execs go and the common theme of whether Magic was in charge or Rob was is that both FOs dumped assets for no reason. First I will applaud them in that no one wanted to be traded here or take free agency meetings with us when Jimbo/Mitch were here... so there’s that.

But then look at what they’ve done to potential assets: Zu was a 1.5m cap hold that could have been renounced IF we needed the additional cap space. Svi was a 1.4m salary place marker this past summer, yet we traded him for Bullock who had a 4.5m caphold if we wanted to keep him. As we saw with the Wiz package, moving off Svi’s trivial amount would have been easy. Then there’s TB as a 1.3m cap hold and he was renounced first nothing. Jules also was renounced for nothing. We traded JC/Nance for essentially Moe (25th pick) and that dude got dumped for nothing. We traded a 2nd round pick with Philly for Bonga and proceeded to dump him for nothing as well.

So speaking from an asset standpoint, we dumped team friendly low salary kids for cap space. So now we have to look at our cap space as an asset. Dallas offered 3yrs/36m (30m guaranteed) and we countered with 2yrs/30m (fully guaranteed). So after hoarding cap space for 2 years, our biggest get with cap space as an asset was Danny Green.

I’m sorry but imho, that isn’t the best way to use your cap space, especially with all the assets we dumped to gain that type of space. I feel that our best way of regaining assets would have been for players on big deals to be dumped into that space with some draft compensation. That way you regain the assets lost in the AD purge as well as the 3rd max cap space purge.

I do celebrate our winning record and finally being relevant again. But at what cost? We could have sat here with more assets to pull off a trade and get better. We could be sitting here with just as good a record and only having to play Bron/AD 30mpg if our roster depth allowed it.

Instead we are now aiming for another cap plan in 2021 where our superstar in Bron, who we forced to play starting point guard this year, will also be forced into a position where he needs to opt out and re-up at significantly less to bring on board a max FA. Now if this past summer was any clue, yet here we are again.

We all want what’s best for our Lakers and imho, it’s not that Rob get fired. I’m hoping a seasoned exec with CBA know-how, can take the Prez chair and guide Rob till he’s ready.

CervantesRises wrote:
If you can do better then prove it.

I tried, but they didn’t hire me. But you’re right, I could do better. Next time I go in for the job I won’t wear full body armor and won’t request that there are no knives present during the interview.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HBLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

It’s January bro.

Exactly my point.

Been bumping heads with you for over a decade VLF. This year couldn’t agree with you more. Hope we are both wrong but I feel exactly what you feel about this year. We are far.

You're both wrong. Hopefully, you haven't crossed all the way over to Clipper fandom like VLF.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 110 of 243
Jump to: