Luke Kuechly Retires from the NFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Luke Kuechly Retires from the NFL

https://www.panthers.com/news/luke-kuechly-announces-retirement
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

A guy destined for Canton in my book.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

He will get in. I have very little doubt about that. Won a DROY. Won a DPOY. Five-time All-Pro. In football, you don't have to have a long career to be a Hall of Famer if you were an incredible player over a relatively short period of time. This guy was a first-team All-Pro player in 5 of 8 years. I mean, Gale Sayers is in.

By the way, I think Patrick Willis has a very strong case for eventual enshrinement. Like Kuechly, he played 8 years. Like Kuechly, he was All-Pro 5 times. And like Kuechly, he was a DROY. He never won a DPOY, but their teams' records were very similar, they both played in a Super Bowl, and if you look on Football Reference, they are listed on the comparables list for each other most often.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

Sadly, a guy destined to be diagnosed with CTE. He frequently dealt with head injuries, and he probably played for too long, even though he is just 28.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Sadly, a guy destined to be diagnosed with CTE. He frequently dealt with head injuries, and he probably played for too long, even though he is just 28.

I wasn't a huge Junior Seau fan or anything, but he was such an incredible, indestructible force of nature on the field who awed me as a kid growing up watching the NFL and playing HS football (poorly). His suicide was the beginning of the end of my love of the sport.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

He will get in. I have very little doubt about that. Won a DROY. Won a DPOY. Five-time All-Pro. In football, you don't have to have a long career to be a Hall of Famer if you were an incredible player over a relatively short period of time. This guy was a first-team All-Pro player in 5 of 8 years. I mean, Gale Sayers is in.

By the way, I think Patrick Willis has a very strong case for eventual enshrinement. Like Kuechly, he played 8 years. Like Kuechly, he was All-Pro 5 times. And like Kuechly, he was a DROY. He never won a DPOY, but their teams' records were very similar, they both played in a Super Bowl, and if you look on Football Reference, they are listed on the comparables list for each other most often.

I'm all for it. It'd be a good sign that non-QBs can have HOF careers without completely destroying their bodies before hanging up their cleats.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Yep...and he's another guy that retired "early". Playing ILB is no joke. It's arguably the position on defense that takes the most repeated freight train type shots.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I agree.

Great player, hope he is able to live a normal life as he had numerous head injuries while playing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: