Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Anakin was deemed too old by the Jedi Council to begin training as a Jedi because it was too dangerous. He turned to the dark side. Kylo Ren was trained early as well and he turned to the dark side.

However, Luke, Leai and Rey were trained at much older ages (adulthood) and all turned out fine. You can say that Luke and Rey were the most powerful Jedis in the galaxy.

So, were the Jedi council wrong?

Yes and no. One could argue that had Anakin been found earlier then he would have had better control over his emotions later in life - the same emotions that led him to the dark side.

The flip side is Luke, Anakin, Rey, and Kylo/Ben were all very emotional force users and were 4 of most powerful ever. The jedi were wrong about not using emotion - ironically they were afraid of it - but they should have been teaching not to suppress emotions but to be mindful of them and be in control of them. The jedi council was just very stubborn and averse to any change, this is what caused their downfall.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Anakin was deemed too old by the Jedi Council to begin training as a Jedi because it was too dangerous. He turned to the dark side. Kylo Ren was trained early as well and he turned to the dark side.

However, Luke, Leai and Rey were trained at much older ages (adulthood) and all turned out fine. You can say that Luke and Rey were the most powerful Jedis in the galaxy.

Yes and no. One could argue that had Anakin been found earlier then he would have had better control over his emotions later in life - the same emotions that led him to the dark side.

And two of them ended up defeating the emperor.

The flip side is Luke, Anakin, Rey, and Kylo/Ben were all very emotional force users and were 4 of most powerful ever. The jedi were wrong about not using emotion - ironically they were afraid of it - but they should have been teaching not to suppress emotions but to be mindful of them and be in control of them. The jedi council was just very stubborn and averse to any change, this is what caused their downfall.

Well, I mean if Luke, Leia and Rey were all presented to the Jedi council for training at adulthood, it probably would be an overwhelming NO. And yet, they all turned out fine. They were all able to resist the dark side.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
I enjoyed it well enough, better than the Force Awakens or the Last Jedi, not as good in my opinion as Rogue One, which I think is the last good Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. But its sci-fi, not realistic, but we go to see a space-western, lots of action, a couple of characters you care about, etc. But like the Star Trek franchise; half the films are forgettable, but you get entertained for 2-3 hours and have an excuse to eat a huge bowl of over-priced popcorn.

If you like good sci-fi, go watch the Expanse, or the Battlestar Gallatica series.

It was fun while it lasted, but other epic film series were much better movie to movie; Harry Potter, Marvel films, and the gold standard, the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the fantasy film genre.

And Harry Potter is also one of the dumbest epics. Hey, let’s bring a bunch of kids with magical abilities to an old castle/school filled with danger and leave them mostly alone.

But they had an arbitrary point system!

and a sorting hat

Hey, they were films for kids, but at least through the film series, the story was consistent, the films well paced, and not a lot of generational hubris that led to two thirds of the films being forgettable. Heck, I'll watch the series again, and every film in it is better than Star Wars 1-3 and 7-9. Of course some of the HP stuff is silly for adults to watch, but shooting lasers in space, going to light speed at the drop of a hat, podracing, Ewoks defeating stormtroopers in a climatic battle..... It's the movies, not a documentary.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Hey man, relax. We don’t judge your crush.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

And two of them ended up defeating the emperor.

Well, I mean if Luke, Leia and Rey were all presented to the Jedi council for training at adulthood, it probably would be an overwhelming NO. And yet, they all turned out fine. They were all able to resist the dark side.

I think that was a point George Lucas was trying to make. That the jedi coucil and their ways were deemed infallible with no room for questioning/improving practices or rules and that was ultimately the cause of their downfall. Actually now that I think about it, Luke says something similar to this to Rey in TLJ.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

I thought it was awful but my Star Wars opinions are apparently unorthodox (I thought TLJ was great and TFA was mediocre at best). I really do not think much of JJ Abrams in general
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
I enjoyed it well enough, better than the Force Awakens or the Last Jedi, not as good in my opinion as Rogue One, which I think is the last good Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. But its sci-fi, not realistic, but we go to see a space-western, lots of action, a couple of characters you care about, etc. But like the Star Trek franchise; half the films are forgettable, but you get entertained for 2-3 hours and have an excuse to eat a huge bowl of over-priced popcorn.

If you like good sci-fi, go watch the Expanse, or the Battlestar Gallatica series.

It was fun while it lasted, but other epic film series were much better movie to movie; Harry Potter, Marvel films, and the gold standard, the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the fantasy film genre.

And Harry Potter is also one of the dumbest epics. Hey, let’s bring a bunch of kids with magical abilities to an old castle/school filled with danger and leave them mostly alone.

But they had an arbitrary point system!

and a sorting hat

Hey, they were films for kids, but at least through the film series, the story was consistent, the films well paced, and not a lot of generational hubris that led to two thirds of the films being forgettable. Heck, I'll watch the series again, and every film in it is better than Star Wars 1-3 and 7-9. Of course some of the HP stuff is silly for adults to watch, but shooting lasers in space, going to light speed at the drop of a hat, podracing, Ewoks defeating stormtroopers in a climatic battle..... It's the movies, not a documentary.

You don't have to tell me...I liked the HP movies (and SW 1+3)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Just got around to seeing it. Thought it was enjoyable enough, but I do agree with some comments here that the writing was weak and that the last 3 films would have benefited more if a single director's vision had been used. I thought Endgame was a far better film. Like, not even close between the two.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject:

5/10, average movie

I agree with some other posters here that series like HP, Marvel, and LOTR are much better
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
5/10, average movie

I agree with some other posters here that series like HP, Marvel, and LOTR are much better

The heck is Marvel and LOTR doing in the same sentence.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I thought it was awful but my Star Wars opinions are apparently unorthodox (I thought TLJ was great and TFA was mediocre at best). I really do not think much of JJ Abrams in general

He ruined Star Wars AND Star Trek.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Just got around to seeing it. Thought it was enjoyable enough, but I do agree with some comments here that the writing was weak and that the last 3 films would have benefited more if a single director's vision had been used. I thought Endgame was a far better film. Like, not even close between the two.

Rumor is that the trilogy was supposed to be all about Leah and they had to change it up when she died.
Not sure that holds up with the timing though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Rumor is that the trilogy was supposed to be all about Leah and they had to change it up when she died.

I did notice that Carrie Fisher got the top billing for this final film. Which means that all 3 of the former stars of the original trilogy each got a turn for top billing in this trilogy. Harrison Ford got it for TFA, Mark Hamill got it for TLJ, and now Fisher for this one.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yea if Leia didn’t die we would have saw her use the light saber on palpatine instead of using the force through her son
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

Anyway, thank god that this abominable garbage is behind us.

moving on...check out this fantastic Tie Fighter short film on youtube that was produced by one person. I'm not a fan of anime but this is actually pretty sweet

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

My take on the whole thing is, 1) Star Wars fans hold these movies up to a standard that's almost impossible to live up to, and 2) The hindsight on how good all of the 9 movies were is looked at through rose-colored glasses. Given that, I found this chapter perfectly...adequate.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Cheesy overall
VTECkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

why did rey have to lie, and say she was a skywalker, that really bothered me
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Finally saw it. I'd give it a 4/10. Very forgettable, bland stuff.

I think the biggest problem with the new trilogy is that none of the new characters were particularly interesting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: