THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1925, 1926, 1927 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I'm trying to parse the significant differences between Warren and Sanders and struggling.

Paraphrasing here, but I've seen some online comments from Bernie supporters (or Russian bots) like "oh, she was a Republican until she was 50 so it shows she isn't a true progressive like Bernie, who has had it in his heart his whole life." In other words, pure crapola.

But, I mean realistic differences.

Like...does Sanders support codetermination like Warren does?

Does Warren support abolishing "right to work" laws like Sanders does?

What are the foreign policy differences? What are the monetary policy differences?

Sanders supports an immediate M4A single payer system vote.

Warren supports a two part vote that extends the ACA to everyone by 2022 and then tries to implement M4A thereafter.

Bernie supports incarcerated men and women retaining the right to vote, which is very cool.

Bernie also believes strongly in the "economic anxiety at the root of racism" while using ahistorical arguments to support said position, which is very not cool.

Yeah, I saw that thing he did with the NYT and it just seemed so tone deaf. It ignores centuries of history and boils it down to economic anxiety and otherizing minorities. Race will always be a blind spot for him.

Identity politics fail. Obama said all the right things, hollowed out the middle class, and turned Wall Street millionaires like Steve Mnuchin into billionaires (Kamala let that (bleep) off the hook, too; too much paperwork, easier to prosecute poor people). Who cares.

Obama "hollowed out the middle class?" Huh?

You wanna fight, I don't, Baron. Let's just leave it there.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Identity politics fail. Obama said all the right things, hollowed out the middle class, and turned Wall Street millionaires like Steve Mnuchin into billionaires (Kamala let that (bleep) off the hook, too; too much paperwork, easier to prosecute poor people). Who cares.

I don' want to fight either, but your statement, has little, if any basis. Obama only had a filibuster proof majority for some 3 or 4 months or so. He passed Obamacare during that period that helped the middle class the most.

Last edited by ribeye on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
focus wrote:
ribeye wrote:
So . . . Parnes tells us the reason he came forward is that he doesn't trust the Justice Department and Bill Barr. (I have no real idea if the fear is justified.)

Then it occurs to me that Epstein (who just might have something to say about a lot of very powerful people), died under strange circumstances while in prison.

I then read that Dershowitz is going to be one of Trump's attorneys.

He said or suggested that he's afraid for his safety, Parnes?

Not in those words but he did say that he was more afraid of the Justice Department than of any criminals. And let me correct my original spelling error: His name is Parnas.

Doesn't Trust "William Barr" mostly because he gives Trump too much power and it is frightening to him and his safety [sic]
He also said Barr was involved in the Ukraine scandal

Dude is hilarious.. Conway "I don't know him" pops up with a pic of the two.. lol
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to vote against Trump. I wish there was someone among these democrats who was worse than him.

Now he has Ken Starr on his legal team. Who will remove a president for a bj, but not one for obstruction of justice and abuse of power. As if we didn't have enough signs that this whole thing is insane.

Lets not forget Ken Starr was also the lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein (As well as the other lawyer Trump's team hired, Alan Dershowitz)

Ken Starr, former head of Baylor University, was forced to resign for covering up all of the continued rapes in their sports program.

Could you possibly find an attorney more heinous than that? Well. Dershowitz is right up there. Helped OJ get acquitted. Tried to get Epstein off of his solicitation of a minor in 08, and working on the legal team for Harvey Weinstein. Dershowitz was named by the lawyer of a victim of Epstein's as a sexual predator.

Its just so insane. How can this even be real?

There is so much insanity going on here. When can we make it stop? Are there any issues more important than being rid of his blight on american history?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Implicit in the GOP's willingness to smash through every guardrail that checks executive power on Herr Trump's behalf is that they know Democrats won't ever elect a full on corrupt kleptocrat with authoritarian ambitions whereas they look forward to the next Republican president having the same freedom to do the same (bleep) all over again. Maybe...maybe...Susan Collins will have a niggling pang of self doubt on her death bed and ask herself, "were we the baddies?" That'll be about it.

...then she'll hear McConnell's voice telling her to shut up, and she'll shut up and absolve herself again.

Sadly McConnell will probably still be alive then, Senate Majority Leader until he's 136 years old.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I don' want to fight either, but your statement, has little, if any basis. Obama only had a filibuster proof majority for some 3 or 4 months or so. He passed Obamacare during that period that helped the middle class the most.

By forcing them to buy health insurance they can't afford from a monopoly?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Can't wait to vote against Trump. I wish there was someone among these democrats who was worse than him.

Now he has Ken Starr on his legal team. Who will remove a president for a bj, but not one for obstruction of justice and abuse of power. As if we didn't have enough signs that this whole thing is insane.

Lets not forget Ken Starr was also the lawyer for Jeffrey Epstein (As well as the other lawyer Trump's team hired, Alan Dershowitz)

Ken Starr, former head of Baylor University, was forced to resign for covering up all of the continued rapes in their sports program.

Could you possibly find an attorney more heinous than that? Well. Dershowitz is right up there. Helped OJ get acquitted. Tried to get Epstein off of his solicitation of a minor in 08, and working on the legal team for Harvey Weinstein. Dershowitz was named by the lawyer of a victim of Epstein's as a sexual predator.

There is so much insanity going on here. When can we make it stop? Are there any issues more important than being rid of his blight on american history?

https://lawandcrime.com/impeachment/trump-in-1999-ken-starr-is-a-freak-and-i-bet-hes-got-something-in-his-closet/

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/19/opinion/liberties-trump-l-oeil-tease.html
Quote:
On Ken Starr: ''Starr's a freak. I bet he's got something in his closet.''

They defended Epstein because he had (bleep) on them. Now Trump and Barr possibly have all the tapes Epstein hid and they can use them to leverage all the guilties or family of the guilty
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Theseus wrote:

https://lawandcrime.com/impeachment/trump-in-1999-ken-starr-is-a-freak-and-i-bet-hes-got-something-in-his-closet/

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/19/opinion/liberties-trump-l-oeil-tease.html
Quote:
On Ken Starr: ''Starr's a freak. I bet he's got something in his closet.''

They defended Epstein because he had (bleep) on them. Now Trump and Barr possibly have all the tapes Epstein hid and they can use them to leverage all the guilties or family of the guilty

So many skeletons in their closets. I'm pretty sure many people are falling in line because they fear AG Barr looking into them.

More on Starr's scandal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_sexual_assault_scandal
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

I'm middle class. I was never forced to buy anything from anybody.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Just one anecdote but a friend of mine who's an adjunct professor poved from TN to Vermont last year. He had lived without health insurance for two years after finishing his PhD in TN and was able to get surgery for a physical malady that had been causing him chronic pain.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Only St. Bernie is all-knowing and perfect and worthy. Everyone else is flawed and shills for the elite.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
So I took the Washington Post candidate quiz and apparently I'm a Bernie supporter now and I hope he picks Andrew Yang as his VP.

I got Yang, too. Bernie and Liz tied for second.

I got Klobuchar and Bloomberg at 16 and Buttigieg, Biden, and Steyer at 15. Pretty much in line with my preference of Pete/Amy/Biden as my three preferred candidates. I had the least in common with Bernie, with just 6, and that also falls in line for me lol.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

The ACA is imperfect, but it sure beats Bernie Care (thats non-existent plan in Vermont), as well as what we had previously. With our many health care systems that form a convoluted mess, with so very many vested interests with enough power to throttle any concept, we were lucky to break that barrier that has plagued Democrats since FDR.

Still, the lower middle class (the fourth income quintle earners) tended to benefit overall, the mid-middle class (the third income quintile earners) had winners and losers, though I would not be surprised if there were slightly more losers, and the upper middle class business (the second income quintile earners) owners were probably hurt the most--though I doubt the few in these lastr two quintiles were forced to get insurance, as they probably already had it.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for a democrat to be president so people can start caring about deficits and debt again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/17/the-us-is-running-a-1-trillion-deficit-but-politicians-and-investors-dont-see-a-problem.html
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

The latest tranche of Parnas documents released tonight show a top Nunes staffer, Derek Harvey, in communication with Parnas setting up meetings with two former Ukrainian prosecutors.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

The latest tranche of Parnas documents released tonight show a top Nunes staffer, Derek Harvey, in communication with Parnas setting up meetings with two former Ukrainian prosecutors.

Heard he has Nunes recorded through whatsapp
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Can't wait for a democrat to be president so people can start caring about deficits and debt again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/17/the-us-is-running-a-1-trillion-deficit-but-politicians-and-investors-dont-see-a-problem.html

Good call. It is the ONLY time Republicans care. Though they claim they don't agree with Keynesian economics, they know that curbing government spending tends to curb growth. They also know that cutting taxes can increase growth, for a brief period. So they (at least try to) cut taxes with a Republican president and cut government spending with a Democrat.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Explains Nunes' evolution from "I don't recall talking to Parnas. I talk to plenty of people on the phone. I have no idea who that is" to "Now that I think about it, I do remember Parnas calling me on my cell phone."

His cell phone!!!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Only St. Bernie is all-knowing and perfect and worthy. Everyone else is flawed and shills for the elite.

I love how frog just throws out such a loaded accusation and then hides behind "I don't want to fight" and "let's just leave it there" when called on it.

Says a lot . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Good call. It is the ONLY time Republicans care. Though they claim they don't agree with Keynesian economics, they know that curbing government spending tends to curb growth. They also know that cutting taxes can increase growth, for a brief period. So they (at least try to) cut taxes with a Republican president and cut government spending with a Democrat.

Starve the beast is crushing it. Now it's getting close to skin and bones.
The RNC chill out and wait for DNC to come to power to look bad for being the only party who is fiscally responsible.

Less money in people's pockets, so they get mad and the RNC smell like roses and scream how socialist the DNC is and that they are horrible for the economy, yet it's been the DNC who have been FIXING them the last 30 years.

So that there is the formula that the RNC goes by, and it's been winning much more than it should.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

republicans: let's require permissions slips for sex ed!

California: no thank you, rubes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article239317303.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Republicans should be concerning themselves with permission when it comes to getting their sex.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/17/1912272/-Republican-super-PAC-caught-using-the-same-local-woman-in-ads-attacking-Democrats-in-8-states?utm_campaign=trending

Republican super PAC caught using the same ‘local woman’ in ads attacking Democrats in 8 states

Quote:
Stacy has every right to her local opinion. I may not agree with Stacy, but she knows her community and she’s a teacher. And she is a wife. And she is a mom. And, according to the American Action Network’s series of ads, she lives a teaching mom wife’s life in at least eight different states of the Union. Stacy is what we call in the business, a superhero. This woman is not simply a Wife, a Teacher, and a Mom, she’s eight times more than all of that. She’s like your mom but she has secret families and professions across the country!

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Trump administration announced a rollback of Michelle Obama’s signature initiative for healthy school lunches on Friday, coinciding with the former first lady’s birthday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-17/trump-rolls-back-michelle-obama-s-school-lunch-nutrition-rules

Imagine loving Donald Trump
I'd jump
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1925, 1926, 1927 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1926 of 3663
Jump to: