Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Luka is at 31% on 3 pointers by the way. Not exactly elite. Harden has had 7-8 years to work on stepbacks at gluttonous volume and is only now shooting in the above 37% range while still being prone to nights where he can't throw it in the ocean. Just some perspective.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Luka is at 31% on 3 pointers by the way. Not exactly elite. Harden has had 7-8 years to work on stepbacks at gluttonous volume and is only now shooting in the above 37% range while still being prone to nights where he can't throw it in the ocean. Just some perspective.

it's not about the % for Luka and Harden. they get their stepbacks defended like it's the most dangerous shot on the court, and because of that can drive off of it..
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
manlisten wrote:

it's not about the % for Luka and Harden. they get their stepbacks defended like it's the most dangerous shot on the court, and because of that can drive off of it..

It's moreso about the fact that those two spam stepbacks more than any other players in history and give themselves more opportunities to attack lunging defenders. Specifically in Luka's case, he's not actually good at making that shot. He uses his footwork to take advantage of undisciplined defenders. I would expect defenses to do a better job of letting him have that shot in the playoffs similar to the way they sit on Harden's stepback in the postseason and watch his efficiency plummet.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

23 points and 7 rebounds tonight by THT!!

And it's only halftime!!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Needs to be called up … but it's not going to happen
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

THT out here balling! I’m seeing where some of y’all say he can be a Derron Williams type player
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
23 points and 7 rebounds tonight by THT!!

And it's only halftime!!

Sexy!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

cool thing about the Gleague vs a young player playing like 10 minutes every other game, and mostly in garbage time.. is it's easy to see improvement in the gleague...a player can be confident he's improved.. rather than taking steps forward and back in the league with little minutes, and not being sure you're better. imo
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

37p 6a 9r
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
THT finishes with 37/9/6/4 on 13-27 from the field and 3-8 from 3PT

His 3PT is inconsistent right now, started 3/3 then went 0/5. He’s super young so it’s understandable

Overall his G League scoring efficiency has been trending way ⬆️⬆️ @SouthBayLakers #Lakers

https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1218370297117560832?s=21
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Great game THT. Career high in points. Getting more consistent. At what point does Vogel see what he has?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Great game THT. Career high in points. Getting more consistent. At what point does Vogel see what he has?

I think guys like Cook and Daniels would be disgruntled if they lost minutes to him.. those guys see themselves as like 9th men ; Dudley kind of alluded to it, on a different team he’d be in the rotation consistently.. these guys haven’t played much, and now they’d lose their chance at minutes on the court this season to a 2nd rounded? Kinda disrespectful and deflating

If he’s legit of course you play him and profit... but; are they going to play him consistently enough to get past rookie mistakes?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Talen Horton-Tucker Highlights | South Bay Lakers vs Memphis Hustle

LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Talen Horton-Tucker Highlights | South Bay Lakers vs Memphis Hustle

Thanks!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
cool thing about the Gleague vs a young player playing like 10 minutes every other game, and mostly in garbage time.. is it's easy to see improvement in the gleague...a player can be confident he's improved.. rather than taking steps forward and back in the league with little minutes, and not being sure you're better. imo

My concern with the Gleague is that you pick up a lot of bad habits. I know NBA teams practice less and less these days, but would someone like THT benefit more from being around the team and practicing with real NBA players.

If you go back 15 to 20 years, you saw some really good players that came into the league at THTs age spend their first few years on the bench. I wonder if Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Lewis and even Kobe all would have developed if they spent time in the Gleague instead of on the bench learning and practicing with Pros.

Last edited by LakerMindLA on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

My concern with the Gleague is that you pick up a lot of bad habits. I know NBA teams practice less and less these days, but would someone like THT benefit more from being around the team and practicing with real NBA players.

If you go back 20 years, you saw some really good players that came into the league at THts age spend their first few years on the bench. I wonder if Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Lewis and even Kobe all would have developed if they spent time in the Gleague instead of on the bench learning and practicing with Pros.

if teams (especially great teams with vets) actually scrimmaged often, I'd agree with you.. But it seems like the Lakers might get a live ball situation in like once a week maybe? I want to say there was a stretch where Vogel said it was longer than that, that they hadn't practiced....2 or 3 weeks? that's what happens on road trips I think. If you play 3 weeks in a game at home, you're probably not scrimmaging that week, then you go on the road for 1.5 weeks..that's 2.5 weeks no practice... you get back and rest from the road trip..you don't practice those next couple days either...
Danny Green jogs all game, he's going to scrimmage that hard? Bron? AD is a game time decision so seemingly he can't practice...
I don't see it with this team..

I do see bad defensive habits that get could get formed in the Gleague, specifically from officiating...it's called tighter down there, and I see players having to give no effort to contest just not to pick up a foul.. and of course there's other defensive bad habits to be picked up there....
But skill-growth from reps on offense, I think that happens..
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

If you go back 20 years, you saw some really good players that came into the league at THts age spend their first few years on the bench. I wonder if Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Lewis and even Kobe all would have developed if they spent time in the Gleague instead of on the bench learning and practicing with Pros.

if teams (especially great teams with vets) actually scrimmaged often, I'd agree with you.. But it seems like the Lakers might get a live ball situation in like once a week maybe? I want to say there was a stretch where Vogel said it was longer than that, that they hadn't practiced....2 or 3 weeks? that's what happens on road trips I think. If you play 3 weeks in a game at home, you're probably not scrimmaging that week, then you go on the road for 1.5 weeks..that's 2.5 weeks no practice... you get back and rest from the road trip..you don't practice those next couple days either...
Danny Green jogs all game, he's going to scrimmage that hard? Bron? AD is a game time decision so seemingly he can't practice...
I don't see it with this team..

Ya - times have changed. I almost look at THT similar to say Lou or Monta. Both HS to NBA ( which is basically THT given his age) that were drafted in the 2nd round, but stayed with NBA team. I have my doubts that either would be NBA players if the Gleague was around given that it isn’t the best place to learn how to play the game the right way.

THT has the tools to be special, but I think he would benefit by being surrounded by mature PROs and having those players work with him on certain skill development than being in the Gleague where he isn’t forced to refine his tool kit to get better.

Last edited by LakerMindLA on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LFRMBT/status/1218374197979877376 here's some proof he's improved. I know Dunn from MIA said he got better in the Gleague..
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/LFRMBT/status/1218374197979877376 here's some proof he's improved. I know Dunn from MIA said he got better in the Gleague..

How much of that is because he was out since May and it took time for him to get back in the grove versus true skill improvement?

I still think someone like THT that shows glimpses of elite tools benefits more from exposure to NBA pros and being around vets on a daily basis than playing AAU basketball in the Gleague.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

How much of that is because he was out since May and it took time for him to get back in the grove versus true skill improvement?

I still think someone like THT that shows glimpses of elite tools benefits more from exposure to NBA pros and being around vets on a daily basis than playing AAU basketball in the Gleague.

ya some of it was probably getting back in a grove.. but he's actually honing skills as well... he never played close to as much P&R in college as he is now, and he's doing so against NBA athletes. I think the NBA game would have been overwhelming for him..he's really raw, and NBA-simulation reps have helped. He wouldn't be trusted in a game, and again, do the Lakers get more than 2 scrimmages a month? so it's probably a moot point.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

It doesn't have to be all or nothing though. You make very valid points, but why can't a young guy benefit from both? You're right, there is no replacement for being around seasoned vets, but there's also nothing wrong with getting runs in either.

Isn't that why players play against one another in the summer? You could call that worthless too, but it's not.

Trust me, Horton-Tucker is benefitting from playing in a game where he handled the ball a whole helluva lot and shot the ball 27 times. You could argue that that type of workload is unrealistic and AAUish, but you could also argue that the kid is practicing his skills. When you couple the runs he gets in South Bay with the exposure he should be getting by being around the team (we agree), he gets the best of both worlds and is nurtured properly.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

It doesn't have to be all or nothing though. You make very valid points, but why can't a young guy benefit from both? You're right, there is no replacement for being around seasoned vets, but there's also nothing wrong with getting runs in either.

Isn't that why players play against one another in the summer? You could call that worthless too, but it's not.

Trust me, Horton-Tucker is benefitting from playing in a game where he handled the ball a whole helluva lot and shot the ball 27 times. You could argue that that type of workload is unrealistic and AAUish, but you could also argue that the kid is practicing his skills. When you couple the runs he gets in South Bay with the exposure he should be getting by being around the team (we agree), he gets the best of both worlds and is nurtured properly.

How much is around the team? I barely see him on the bench.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

https://thejasminebrand.com/2019/12/31/lebron-james-celebrates-his-35th-birthday-with-lakers-teammates/
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2020/1/18/21071518/lakers-video-breakdown-talen-horton-tucker-rookie-season-south-bay-highlights-youtube-career-high
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

This.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 39 of 202
Jump to: