Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

The kid is still a teenager. He’s not gonna contribute to the Lakers this season. Plenty of time for him to both get a lot of fun in the G League and to be around the big club.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
cool thing about the Gleague vs a young player playing like 10 minutes every other game, and mostly in garbage time.. is it's easy to see improvement in the gleague...a player can be confident he's improved.. rather than taking steps forward and back in the league with little minutes, and not being sure you're better. imo

My concern with the Gleague is that you pick up a lot of bad habits. I know NBA teams practice less and less these days, but would someone like THT benefit more from being around the team and practicing with real NBA players.

If you go back 20 years, you saw some really good players that came into the league at THts age spend their first few years on the bench. I wonder if Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Lewis and even Kobe all would have developed if they spent time in the Gleague instead of on the bench learning and practicing with Pros.

if teams (especially great teams with vets) actually scrimmaged often, I'd agree with you.. But it seems like the Lakers might get a live ball situation in like once a week maybe? I want to say there was a stretch where Vogel said it was longer than that, that they hadn't practiced....2 or 3 weeks? that's what happens on road trips I think. If you play 3 weeks in a game at home, you're probably not scrimmaging that week, then you go on the road for 1.5 weeks..that's 2.5 weeks no practice... you get back and rest from the road trip..you don't practice those next couple days either...
Danny Green jogs all game, he's going to scrimmage that hard? Bron? AD is a game time decision so seemingly he can't practice...
I don't see it with this team..

Ya - times have changed. I almost look at THT similar to say Lou or Monta. Both HS to NBA ( which is basically THT given his age) that were drafted in the 2nd round, but stayed with NBA team. I have my doubts that either would be NBA players if the Gleague was around given that it isn’t the best place to learn how to play the game the right way.

THT has the tools to be special, but I think he would benefit by being surrounded by mature PROs and having those players work with him on certain skill development than being in the Gleague where he isn’t forced to refine his tool kit to get better.

I have a feeling our Lakers players are in contact with him cheering him on and giving him tips and pointers. I know if I was a Lakers and had this BRUTE down there in our G-League tearing (bleep) up.. I would cheer him on and encourage him hoping to bring him up into the real
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
The kid is still a teenager. He’s not gonna contribute to the Lakers this season. Plenty of time for him to both get a lot of fun in the G League and to be around the big club.

Agreed, THT is not quite ready for prime time but the talent is there. He needs to work hard, absorb as much knowledge and experience as he can.
His G-League experience gives him the time to grow, his time with the Lakers is the icing on the cake for him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Breaking down Talen Horton-Tucker’s rookie season in South Bay

Quote:
Talen Horton-Tucker is the youngest player on the Lakers at the age of 19, and he’s got a lot of potential. Let’s take a closer look at how he’s fared in South Bay this year.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/1/18/21071518/lakers-video-breakdown-talen-horton-tucker-rookie-season-south-bay-highlights-youtube-career-high

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

just wanted to post about where he was ranked before the draft... cuz a lot of people think he was just a run of the mill #46 pick...

So the site 538 had him ranked #8 because they factor in analytics heavily, it was their "numbers and scouting" projection, he's even higher in their pure numbers big board https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-top-50-nba-draft-prospects-according-to-our-carmelo-projections/

The Stepien is like the new draft lovers site, where people can trust good scouting; a few of these pundits have been plucked by NBA teams to scout...The site has been referenced on ESPN even.
There are a bunch of writers on the staff, and here are all their individual rankings https://www.thestepien.com/2019-individual-rankings/
3 of their writers have him in the teens
Then another one has him at 14 https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/20/ross-homans-final-2019-big-board/

Bleacher Report had him at #20 in their first post-combine big board in late May, eventually they dropped him to #28 on their final board, predicted to be drafted at #38 in their mock
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836918-2019-nba-draft-big-board-top-50-players-post-combine#slide4

Here is a big board from the guy who started the site Red Team Scouting, which is a solid site, I believe they put in the time and do solid work..https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1141410820229926912
has THT #18

I believe @mikeLG had him in the teens as well but don't quote me.

I actually watched more CBB last year than ever , to 'scout' this draft and I ranked him #14, one spot behind Cam Reddish - I viewed them as similar - they're both young, raw with some skill and physical tools..they both make pretty plays but early on are going to fail to put together good games..both have jumpers that will need time, defensive potential.... they're guys who if they make 80% of their potential , are impact players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of skill to boot..that's a fringe lotto player to me.

Yes, ESPN had him late 20s or 30s, but, i do think they are more in the 'mock draft' business of getting the draft slot prediction right, rather than pure rankings.. NBAdraft.net is not a good site most will say, they had him ranked late..
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
just wanted to post about where he was ranked before the draft... cuz a lot of people think he was just a run of the mill #46 pick...

So the site 538 had him ranked #8 because they factor in analytics heavily, it was their "numbers and scouting" projection, he's even higher in their pure numbers big board https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-top-50-nba-draft-prospects-according-to-our-carmelo-projections/

The Stepien is like the new draft lovers site, where people can trust good scouting; a few of these pundits have been plucked by NBA teams to scout...The site has been referenced on ESPN even.
There are a bunch of writers on the staff, and here are all their individual rankings https://www.thestepien.com/2019-individual-rankings/
Then another one has him at 14 https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/20/ross-homans-final-2019-big-board/

Bleacher Report had him at #20 in their first post-combine big board in late May, eventually they dropped him to #28 on their final board, predicted to be drafted at #38 in their mock
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836918-2019-nba-draft-big-board-top-50-players-post-combine#slide4

Here is a big board from the guy who started the site Red Team Scouting, which is a solid site, I believe they put in the time and do solid work..https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1141410820229926912
has THT #18

I actually watched more CBB last year than ever , to 'scout' this draft and I ranked him #14, one spot behind Cam Reddish - I viewed them as similar - they're both young, raw with some skill and physical tools..they both make pretty plays but early on are going to fail to put together good games..both have jumpers that will need time, defensive potential.... they're guys who if they make 80% of their potential , are impact players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of skill to boot..that's a fringe lotto player to me.

Yes, ESPN had him late 20s or 30s, but, i do think they are more in the 'mock draft' business of getting the draft slot prediction right, rather than pure rankings.. NBAdraft.net is not a good site most will say, they had him ranked late..

Thanks KIROE! This is very helpful info.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Good info KIROE, thanks.

Exactly why you just don’t throw him in some random trade that won’t help. He is more likely to help the rotation next year and moving forward than to trade him for some declining veteran that won’t be here next season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Good info KIROE, thanks.

Exactly why you just don’t throw him in some random trade that won’t help. He is more likely to help the rotation next year and moving forward than to trade him for some declining veteran that won’t be here next season.

yea...even with the knowledge that he was a pretty lauded prospect...I've still contemplated trading him for a 8th man type of player this year... I'm in win-now mode and he is a particularly raw, long-term prospect...

Just, the notion that he's a typical 46th pick and we could get this type of player again in the 2nd round next year if we acquired a pick, or something - I just wanted to counter that.
He's the age of the upcoming draft's players.... and he was probably on average ranked in the early or mid 20s... so in a weaker class this upcoming year, imagine where he'd be ranked..
we got a good prospect, but he's the definition of a prospect.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject:

he didn't play in the 2nd half of his game today, at all, i believe. wonder why..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Paul Milsap?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Paul Milsap?

Is 4 inches taller and doesn’t have the handle of a PG
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

didn't play in the 2nd half last game; and not playing tonight.. but the Gleague don't care so South Bay hasn't announced his injury.... cmannn
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Good info KIROE, thanks.

I've been a huge proponent of trading Horton-Tucker for Iguodala.

However, if other veteran defenders prove their readiness, I'd be mightily in favor of holding on to him.

Mbah a Moute fits the bill, but he's been injured for two years. Has he healed? Can he still defend?

Corey Brewer also fits the bill, but he's not necessarily a physical defender. Would he even bother Leonard?

I've also mentioned Jonathan Simmons who is very intriguing to me and Josh Smith, who is probably very ill-prepared to play basketball full time.

All these are available right now. Jeff Green too, who has never really been a good defender. He doesn't have nearly the pedigree as the other guy's I mentioned.

Horton-Tucker could learn a lot playing with Derrick Rose and essentially become his dynamic replacement.

The Lakers must fill the need for a wing defender though.

"Luc Mbah a Moute on line one."
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
didn't play in the 2nd half last game; and not playing tonight.. but the Gleague don't care so South Bay hasn't announced his injury.... cmannn

Missed today too. What gives??
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Missed today too. What gives??

concussion
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

He's better than half our roster
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

if we had 3rd year THT, i have no doubt he'd look like the 3rd most skilled player out there quite often
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Wow. The irony.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Anyway to waive THT and re-sign him to a two-way? We would have waive Cacok on his two way though. This would open up a roster spot for Collison.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Anyway to waive THT and re-sign him to a two-way? We would have waive Cacok on his two way though. This would open up a roster spot for Collison.

not sure if its possible but he'd have to clear waivers meaning every team gets a chance to pick up his contract if they want
when it comes to waiving a 2 way Kostas should be first to go. Its time to abandon the Giannis pipe dream. He's not coming, in fact I'd be shocked if he even grants the Lakers a free agent pitch meeting so stop trying to appease that clown and his brothers.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Still out with concussion?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

has THT #18

But is it safe to get attached to him? Will we see a Svi type deal in the name of win now? It's win now more than it ever was.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

has THT #18

But is it safe to get attached to him? Will we see a Svi type deal in the name of win now? It's win now more than it ever was.

Could also use a young talented home grown player to root for now too.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

if we had 3rd year THT, i have no doubt he'd look like the 3rd most skilled player out there quite often

Lmao
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Lmao
I agree
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 40 of 202
Jump to: