How will the NBA handle the Kobe Funeral?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject:

It is comforting to know that Kobe and Gigi attended mass Sunday morning. The man had a strong faith. I think this is going to be a while to figure out and I would not count on anything happening until next week (he can not be buried on a Sunday). GOD BLESS all the families involved!
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject:

This is a weird dynamic. If it was just Kobe, i would all out, national TV funeral. Because Gigi also perished, this is more personal. Kobe, was a public figure. Gianna, did not belong to the public and Vanessa may not want to share that with the public. And I'm almost sure that she wouldn't want to do them separate.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Reporting there have been conversations because of the massive outpouring for Kobe. The memorial may take place at the coliseum or rose bowl.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Reporting there have been conversations because of the massive outpouring for Kobe. The memorial may take place at the coliseum or rose bowl.

not sure if those venues are big enough, but if they make the funeral public, Staples Center won't be enough.
i will be going for sure.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

not sure if those venues are big enough, but if they make the funeral public, Staples Center won't be enough.

Maybe it should take the form of a championship celebration - something Kobe always enjoyed . Block off Figueroa, not for a procession, but for a street festival. Then speeches outside Staples. Have it on Sunday so more people can attend.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

For the family's sake I hope it is private if that is what they want. NBA can do it's own memorial, but let the family have their private goodbyes.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Maybe it should take the form of a championship celebration - something Kobe always enjoyed . Block off Figueroa, not for a procession, but for a street festival. Then speeches outside Staples. Have it on Sunday so more people can attend.

That's a good idea. Like a New Orleans style second line funeral.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

That's a good idea. Like a New Orleans style second line funeral.

GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
It is comforting to know that Kobe and Gigi attended mass Sunday morning. The man had a strong faith. I think this is going to be a while to figure out and I would not count on anything happening until next week (he can not be buried on a Sunday). GOD BLESS all the families involved!

Ramona Shelbourne told a story about how after his 60 point performance, she asked him what he did. And he told her went to church, because he was thankful to be so blessed to have had this 20 year career and life he had. She said she knew he was religious but never heard him speak of it.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

New Orleans style second line funeral sounds fantastic... it's a tragic event. But the sooner people begin to celebrate the amazing life that he had and stop dwelling on the circumstances of his passing, the better off everyone will be (especially the family).
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
New Orleans style second line funeral sounds fantastic... it's a tragic event. But the sooner people begin to celebrate the amazing life that he had and stop dwelling on the circumstances of his passing, the better off everyone will be (especially the family).

I'm sort of at that stage now, where I'm able to watch clips and highlights and just reminisce some more rather then just mourn and dwell. Although it still has its moments.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Kenny Smith Aston Martin Parody. This was a desperately needed laugh today.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Since Vanessa is Catholic, I would imagine that Gianna's & Kobe's funeral will start at "Our Lady Queen of Angels" in Newport Beach and they will be laid to rest at either Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Orange or Ascension Cemetery in Lake Forest.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

Should be private, family only.

The tributes on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. were lovely. But I don’t want the MSM exploiting Kobe’s death for ratings.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:

The tributes on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. were lovely. But I don’t want the MSM exploiting Kobe’s death for ratings.

Yup and I hope fans keep their distance and give that poor family time and space to grieve.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Yup and I hope fans keep their distance and give that poor family time and space to grieve.
Amen / Amen
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: