Biggest Weakness Lakers need to Fix by Deadline
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
1. Playmaker who can shoot - Collison
2. Wing Defender who can shoot league average - Iggy

AD isn't the same dominant player when he doesn't have a playmaker next to him. I hate to say this but Rondo makes the game tougher on AD. The spacing becomes an issue for Davis and teams are able to double team. AD still isn't great at finding the open man off a double yet. Collison would help set AD up to score while also creating the best possible spacing for AD to dominate inside.

We need to let go of the fantasy that Memphis is going to buy out Iggy and let him come here at no cost to us.

It will be interesting to see if Collison does actually return, and who he chooses to play for.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
This is a tough tough choice. But I'm gonna go with our offensive system.
If we wanna win the chip it needs to change.

Look at our assist distribution. LBJ at 10.7. Rondo 5.5. David at 3.3. Nobody else above 2.
Outside of Magic Johnson's Lakers, NOBODY has won with an assist distribution like that. Including NONE of LBJ's championship teams.

We need more player and ball movement. Of course a wing 2 way player would be great. But if we still ran a similar system, it would be tough to win it all.

Holy arbitrary endpoints Batman! Teams have won with poor assist distribution.

I think our assist distribution is interesting but that’s about it. Kinda odd, but, in a way I think one of our key issues offensively is being too reliant on an actual assist to score the ball.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
This is a tough tough choice. But I'm gonna go with our offensive system.
If we wanna win the chip it needs to change.

Look at our assist distribution. LBJ at 10.7. Rondo 5.5. David at 3.3. Nobody else above 2.
Outside of Magic Johnson's Lakers, NOBODY has won with an assist distribution like that. Including NONE of LBJ's championship teams.

We need more player and ball movement. Of course a wing 2 way player would be great. But if we still ran a similar system, it would be tough to win it all.

Holy arbitrary endpoints Batman! Teams have won with poor assist distribution.

I think our assist distribution is interesting but that’s about it. Kinda odd, but, in a way I think one of our key issues offensively is being too reliant on an actual assist to score the ball.

Holy you don't know what you're talking about Superman.

I've seen JV teams with more variety on offense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Kobe/Wade/Kyrie...

Where can we get one of these with the assets we have?

Wade can just come out of retirement, but he's likely not even in shape.

Kemba or Butler would've probably been a good addition if Lakers gone after them last summer.

I understand that. But now? We have limited trade assets and we're not going those caliber players in return. Even getting good versions of that archetype is tough.

Then it's not getting fixed anytime soon, let alone the trade deadline.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD doesn’t have a page out of Shaw’s book, he is nothing like him.

Agree.
Brian Shaw was a better play maker than AD.

Lovely spellcheck
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Collison & Iggy would help fix both the Lakers problems at the PG and SF positions by shoring both spots up. If Rondo is getting rotational minutes come playoff time, Lakers aren't winning a title. Lakers badly need a scoring guard/threat coming off the pick n roll.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Collison & Iggy would help fix both the Lakers problems at the PG and SF positions by shoring both spots up. If Rondo is getting rotational minutes come playoff time, Lakers aren't winning a title. Lakers badly need a scoring guard/threat coming off the pick n roll.

Iggy would also help with that odd "assists distribution" issue/non-issue.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

The Iggy situation is interesting. The latest is that he has threatened to sit out the season if he is not traded to a team of his liking.

if I were Memphis and that happens, I would just let him sit and stop paying him rather than cave to him.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Iggy situation is interesting. The latest is that he has threatened to sit out the season if he is not traded to a team of his liking.

if I were Memphis and that happens, I would just let him sit and stop paying him rather than cave to him.

They would still have to pay him right?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
activeverb wrote:

They would still have to pay him right?

Yes. They got their first round pick for him and are in the playoff hunt without him so him sitting won’t detract from the team. The way he looked in the playoffs last season, his athleticism is pretty well shot. The Warriors had him on a minutes restriction as well.
Mustaine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest Weakness Lakers need to Fix by Deadline

Nash Vegas wrote:
- Wing Defender?

- 3 Point Sniper?

- 2nd Playmaker

- Closer?

Bogdanovic fills all those needs. He would be perfect in our team.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

We're solid at the Five (5) with McGee and Howard, we're solid at the Four (4) with Davis and Kuzma, we're solid at the three (3) with LeBron, however there's no one to come in and give him good minutes to rest; the Two (2) spot is somewhat sketch, but OK with Green and KCP.
The One (1) is where we are definitely void of solid options. In my mind, Bradley is our backup PG. If Caruso is considered to be a SG for us then Green or KCP can be dealt. Rondo, just hasn't been able to pull it together for us this year or else it's a no brainier.

Dudley+Daniels+Cook are all just role player guys that offer great locker room presence and minutes off the bench when the games are over. I don't have anything bad to say about these guys, because they have contributed, but it is what it is!

A Solid 3&D player would probably put us over the top, but so would a PG who could take the Load off of LeBron, create his own shot and defend opposing guards in the west.

I don't believe the Lakers let Kuzma go this late for chemistry's sake, but it could happen. We'd be taking a big chance this late in the game heading toward the playoffs, but once again it's possible. JR Smith recently worked out for the Lakers and if it's not JR, then it will be someone like him; a player who isn't currently on a team like Darren Collison.

Truth be told, we could actually get both of those guys as 2 players who would answer 1 question...

That would be my hope, that we waive/trade some guys for a player who may not be that significant and pick up those two players for the rest of the way! Something tells me JR may be primed to help us get there... Tough defender who can knock down the three. Athletic Wing, who can create his own shot! Not a very high Bball IQ, but hopefully both AD and LBJ make up for that this time!

I could see the following rotation, if we were able to get them both:

Avert Bradkey - Darren Collison
Danny Green - KCP
LeBron James - JR Smith
Anthony Davis - Kuzma
JaVale McGee - Howard

That would leave players like Rondo/Cook/Daniels available as trade options. Would prefer to keep them and trade some of the younger guys like Tucker, Cacok.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

Really interesting question, actually

The two main weaknesses that I see within the current 10-man rotation are Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley. Both will be unplayable in the playoffs due to their pure lack of three point shooting. Yes, Bradley did well against the Kings and has risen to 30% on threes for the year, but he's simply not a guy that I trust at this point to hit shots, despite his mid range and defensive game

That leaves the 10 man rotation as this:

PG: James - ?
SG: KCP - Caruso
SF: Green - ?
PF: Davis - Kuzma
C: McGee - Howard

If we decide to not shake up things too much, we need to look at what the best kind of fits for the bench lineup are. As we already have a guy that's seen as a non-shooter in the bench lineup in Caruso, I think we need two guys that are at least 35% and above shooters from deep. One is hopefully easy to get in Darren Collison (if not him I'd be looking to Patty Mills and Ish Smith, possibly), but the other seems a bit tricky to find. Someone like GRIII I've been a big advocate for recently, as a 6'6" efficient shooter and solid defender. He can also be had for quite cheap. Denzel Valentine absolutely fits the bill in this regard and is an advanced stats darling (efficient in the PNR and as a spot up player), although he's not the best on defense and is only 6'4", so I'd only be looking to get him as a backup

The only other way I'd look to shake things up is by getting DRose on board (as well as Markieff) for Kuzma and Bradley, although it's looking less and less likely that will happen. I personally believe what we need the most is a consistent third scoring option, and DRose is the best we'll be able to get in that regard. If that deal does occur, you need to surround Rose with at least two capable corner shooters, and a combination of, say, GRIII and Markieff would provide that. If we don't get that third consistent scoring option though, that's okay, if we replace Rondo and AB with Collison and GRIII that's a boost in scoring anyway

I think the 'two shooters' path is the one we'll go down, ending with a 15-man squad similar to this:

PG: LeBron James - Darren Collison - Rajon Rondo
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Alex Caruso - Quinn Cook
SF: Danny Green - Glenn Robinson III - Denzel Valentine
PF: Anthony Davis - Kyle Kuzma - Jared Dudley
C: JaVale McGee - Dwight Howard - DeMarcus Cousins
#18 next...
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject:

A playmaker who can create his own shot is a must if we want to win it all.
A wing defender would be a nice addition but would not make us the favourite to win the championship.
The problem is we probably will lose a key player if we trade for any of the above players. So I am not sure if overall, we would become a better team. I am not holding too much hope this season
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

I would argue the biggest issue to fix is an increased intensity and commitment to defense.

The effort and willingness to dominate that end of the court is what made them special early in the season. They have slipped significantly in the past month. Especially against the good teams.

Is that fixed by new players or attitude and hard work? I guess we will find out soon enough.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

We need a veteran PG and a SG who will get buckets and create their own shot during crunch time. It has to be someone who will get respect from the likes of Kawahi, PG, Giannis, Harden come playoff time.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Really interesting question, actually

PG: James - ?
SG: KCP - Caruso
SF: Green - ?
PF: Davis - Kuzma
C: McGee - Howard

Those are the holes since the start of the season. Fix it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Point guard and closer. IMO Bron is not a closer and need relief from PG responsibilities.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest Weakness Lakers need to Fix by Deadline

biggest need is a third scorer... someone who can effectively create their shot with some ability to pass it out to others.
2nd is a big wing defender
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Weakness Lakers need to Fix by Deadline

audioaxes wrote:
biggest need is a third scorer... someone who can effectively create their shot with some ability to pass it out to others.
2nd is a big wing defender

It's so annoying that with Kuz's size and athleticism, he should be able to fill both these needs, yet fills neither.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Biggest weakness... lets see

When Lebron coasts too much
When coach plays Rondo too much
When coach plays Kuzma too much
We could use some 3/4 length who can defend
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject:

his name is dinwiddie.

They can have Kuzma, Green, THT for Joe Harris and Dinwiddie
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: