OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Snipes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HBLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:
Rob deserves credit for surviving the dumpster fire when Magic was here. I won’t cry over the second best record in the NBA.

Let’s hang that second best record banner. I’m really sad at the lowered expectations that we have accepted.

It’s January bro.

Exactly my point.

Been bumping heads with you for over a decade VLF. This year couldn’t agree with you more. Hope we are both wrong but I feel exactly what you feel about this year. We are far.

You're both wrong. Hopefully, you haven't crossed all the way over to Clipper fandom like VLF.

It isn’t January? A calendar is a good thing to keep handy.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

^
I gotta admit, he got you, Doc Lakers.
VLF is a tricky one, you gotta be specific in your replies or he'll get ya.

(Although I knew Doc wasn't referencing the January part )
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

One thing I love about Pelinka is that he didn't follow what the league was all going playing small ball. Lakers had the tradition of big man and he built our squad base on our tradition. (AD, DC, Dwight & Mcgee) If successful, the league will have to change to combat all the athletic big we piled up.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
One thing I love about Pelinka is that he didn't follow what the league was all going playing small ball. Lakers had the tradition of big man and he built our squad base on our tradition. (AD, DC, Dwight & Mcgee) If successful, the league will have to change to combat all the athletic big we piled up.

RP was thinking big picture. Literally! He, AD, & James, were very, very specific to Howard about his role. They threw one name at Howard immediately when they began talks: Embid. (then Philly went out and added even more size in Horford)!

Cousins had unexpectedly gone down for the year. AD was very clear that he did not want to park himself at he 5. And we needed depth behind McGee. Howard and the Lakers have been a blessed reunion.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

do we have the best big man rotation in the league? god knows how much more damage we could inflict if boogie got suddenly healthy. RIP Small ball.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
do we have the best big man rotation in the league? god knows how much more damage we could inflict if boogie got suddenly healthy. RIP Small ball.

One can only hope
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:

Hmmmm....
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

Hmmmm....

Look at the teams left in the NFL...they can all run the ball lol
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

The issue is: 3>2. That won’t change and as the game goes on small ball will always win unless bigs start closing the gap in 3pt %.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

Hmmmm....

Look at the teams left in the NFL...they can all run the ball lol

Yeah you got the running team going up against the NFL’s Stephen Curry this Sunday. Let’s see if banging in the post or those 3 balls come out on top.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

The issue is: 3>2. That won’t change and as the game goes on small ball will always win unless bigs start closing the gap in 3pt %.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
DLaker wrote:

But what we do is move AD to the 5 to close games, and have a lot more spacing and 3 point ability. AD shoots 3s from the 5 spot. The Lakers have a very balanced attack where they have bigs that get to the basket and score, but also can then use AD at the 5 to have that outside offense something that Lebron will need in closing moments of games.

It has been very rare that AD has closed a game at the 4 spot.

We have to understand also that this team is not built around shooters like Klay, Steph and KD. We do not want to have our best scorers bombing a lot of 3s when that is not their strength. AD and Lebron are average 3 point shooters. What we need to do is provide them with great outside shooting and rebounding (and finishing ability inside). We have done tried to do that. We could and would never win a ring playing offense similar to other recent ring teams because of reason #1. AD and Lebron are not great 3 point shooters.

The Raptors last season are a good example of a team that played big with Gasol-Ibaka-Pascal, Kawhi at the 3, but then also were able to be good with their role players shooting 3 pointers. I do not classify the Raps at all as a small ball team - and they are the most recent NBA champion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:

The math will never change
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Snipes wrote:
DLaker wrote:

But what we do is move AD to the 5 to close games, and have a lot more spacing and 3 point ability. AD shoots 3s from the 5 spot. The Lakers have a very balanced attack where they have bigs that get to the basket and score, but also can then use AD at the 5 to have that outside offense something that Lebron will need in closing moments of games.

It has been very rare that AD has closed a game at the 4 spot.

We have to understand also that this team is not built around shooters like Klay, Steph and KD. We do not want to have our best scorers bombing a lot of 3s when that is not their strength. AD and Lebron are average 3 point shooters. What we need to do is provide them with great outside shooting and rebounding (and finishing ability inside). We have done tried to do that. We could and would never win a ring playing offense similar to other recent ring teams because of reason #1. AD and Lebron are not great 3 point shooters.

The Raptors last season are a good example of a team that played big with Gasol-Ibaka-Pascal, Kawhi at the 3, but then also were able to be good with their role players shooting 3 pointers. I do not classify the Raps at all as a small ball team - and they are the most recent NBA champion.

AD shoots less than 30% from 3. A good way to defend him is to let him shoot that shot. Compared to bigs like JaMychal Green and Patrick Patterson who shoot 35% and 37%. AD, McGee or Howard will have to guard them on the perimeter.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Marc Gasol/Ibaka
Siakam/Kawhi
Kawhi/McRaw
Green/VanFleet
Lowry /Powell

^
That is not small ball.

Quote:
AD shoots less than 30% from 3. A good way to defend him is to let him shoot that shot. Compared to bigs like JaMychal Green and Patrick Patterson who shoot 35% and 37%. AD, McGee or Howard will have to guard them on the perimeter.

Which is why using him full time as a floor spacer like some want is ridiculous. He is not Porzingis, shooting wise, but he is better in all other areas. So what you do is slide him to 5 and run more Lebron/AD pick and rolls with 3 three point shooters around him ... to close games.

I may be wrong but come playoffs I think ADs minutes at 5 increase, and Dwight/McGee play a little less than now. Probably we will see about half of ADs time be at 5. McGee/Dwight play about 28 a game combined. I think this is the right balance and we have already used this type of minute contribution in some big games.

The key will be how Lebron attacks. If Lebron does not attack the defense, we are going to run into a wall on offense. We need Lebron to mix up his game and see that when AD is at the 5, he has a huge advantage in PnR and when AD at the 4, he has to attack without PnRs, more with his own bully ball and dribble penetration ability. We have shown we can do both and teams will pack the paint. 3 point shooting will come down to what Danny Green, KCP, Kuzma and co. do in the playoffs. They will get open great looks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The Raptors shot over 200 more three pointers than their opponents and 200 less two point shots. That is one indicator of a small ball team according to advanced analytics.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Raptors shot over 200 more three pointers than their opponents and 200 less two point shots. That is one indicator of a small ball team according to advanced analytics.

During the season up until the Gasol trade, Valanciunas played only 18 minutes per game. With OG Anunoby out, Marc averaged 30 minutes in the playoffs, Ibaka 20 (Pascal 37).

They used three guard lineups in the Finals, but had a traditional Center in at nearly all times post-ASB.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I like pelinka first Of all. I like the roster we have this year. In the wake of Kobe’s death do we lose his backdropped consulting? How much of a role did Kobe play in putting our roster together this year with good players?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

During the season up until the Gasol trade, Valanciunas played only 18 minutes per game. With OG Anunoby out, Marc averaged 30 minutes in the playoffs, Ibaka 20 (Pascal 37).

They used three guard lineups in the Finals, but had a traditional Center in at nearly all times post-ASB.

You need one for defense. Toronto didn’t run their offense through Gasol.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

You don't go small for the sake if going small. You go small to enhance shooting and ability to drive and kick, In torontos case Gasol shoots a high percentage from 3 so no need to go small.

I smell Davis at the 5
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You need one for defense. Toronto didn’t run their offense through Gasol.

That's still a conventional lineup which happens to shoot a high number of threes. Their style didn't resemble Houston, classic Phoenix teams, or the recent Warriors small ball lineups. Ibaka isn't an undersized Center anymore.

Siakam would be starting at the 5 if MDA replaced Nick Nurse.

scout0_0 wrote:
You don't go small for the sake if going small. You go small to enhance shooting and ability to drive and kick, In torontos case Gasol shoots a high percentage from 3 so no need to go small.

I smell Davis at the 5

Fingers crossed
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious as to why the Lakers miss out on other good moves that are made. I had a problem with it in free agency too.

The Lakers just can't seem to find the right deals at the right time. They linger too long on deals that break down.

If the Lakers had given up on Kawhi early in free agency and had their look at all the free agents, there were amazing deals for players like Bojan Bogdanovic and Derrick Rose. They would be great 3rd options for the Lakers

With the trade deadline, they were also working on a trade that broke down late. If they looked elsewhere, Philly got a good deal for Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

The inability to do anything at the deadline is directly related to what they did do in the offseason.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The inability to do anything at the deadline is directly related to what they did do in the offseason.

The Lakers could've made smaller moves. The Sixers got Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III for 3 late 2nd rounders.

I'm talking about the Lakers going for one move at crucial times and missing out on others. I just think about how good the Lakers could've been had they given up on the Kawhi chase earlier and if they had other moves in the pipeline other than the Morris deal. Their other reported interests were also bigger potential moves like Rose, Schroder, and Bogdanovic.

I don't think the Lakers have a good eye on the entire landscape of potential moves.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers could've made smaller moves. The Sixers got Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III for 3 late 2nd rounders.

I'm talking about the Lakers going for one move at crucial times and missing out on others. I just think about how good the Lakers could've been had they given up on the Kawhi chase earlier and if they had other moves in the pipeline other than the Morris deal. Their other reported interests were also bigger potential moves like Rose, Schroder, and Bogdanovic.

I don't think the Lakers have a good eye on the entire landscape of potential moves.

Lakers do not have a second round pick until 2023. They could not trade their first round pick. Their one asset makes no money making him difficult to trade. Pelinka has nothing to work with which we knew last summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 111 of 243
Jump to: