This loss to Rockets deserves a separate thread....how???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

Lebron's defense has kind of taken a nosedive since the start of the season. He'll leave his corner man open even when another laker has rotated back to his man, leaving Lebron and another laker both guarding the same player at the wing with the guy in the corner wide open. I think some guys are just trying to make it to the allstar break.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

C-Webb made a good point about us being too rushed. Our bigs see a mismatch and want to exploit it as fast as possible and end up rushing.

Same with how smalls kept throwing long passes into the post (some successful but other resulting in turnovers).

I think we missed like 10 layups alone in the first half because they were too rushed.

Bottom line, I think the Rockets got into our heads with their play.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
Can anyone tell me what offense are we even running? The NBA offense has evolved now and it is predicated on having more possessions. I remember Danny Green saying a few months ago that they need to play faster but we rely so much on posting up and wasting time.

No wonder we struggle against playoff teams. They run and shoot the 3 against us and we have no answer every time.

We're running the lebron system. It's been ran on every team he's on. He gets the ball, dribbles up the court and tries to bully his way to the basket. If that doesn't work he kicks it to someone standing around and hopes he hits the shot. If not, give the ball back to lebron and reset. Last resort is usually his knuckleball 3-pointer.

My biggest concern is not what offense we're running because that's inevitable with lebron on your team. My concern is that we're only beating bad teams.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Lebron's defense has kind of taken a nosedive since the start of the season. He'll leave his corner man open even when another laker has rotated back to his man, leaving Lebron and another laker both guarding the same player at the wing with the guy in the corner wide open. I think some guys are just trying to make it to the allstar break.

LeBron's defense had already taken a nosedive the past 4 seasons.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

The Lakers came in expecting a repeat of the game plan @Houston. They just never seemed to adjust to Houston’s adjustments and they just didn’t look engaged defensively or offensively tbh.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We're a transition and drive and kick team. Outside of giving up offensive boards, HOU had nothing to lose going small against us.

Yeah. It’s actually smart. And we should have stuck to our gameplan too IMO. You can’t play small ball against the league’s best small team.

We turned over some post entry passes and gave up it seemed like.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Can we just pick Collison up already. Having a guy who shoots 40% from 3 as a PG is 100x better than what we have out there right now when James sits. We need a real playmaker who players cant sag off of. Rondo was a -14 in 15 minutes this game. Thats checkmate right there. If we can pick up Marvin Williams and Collison while telling Rondo to (bleep) off with someone else we have fixed glaring holes.

A wing who can defend and a PG who's actualy a threat.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Can we just pick Collison up already. Having a guy who shoots 40% from 3 as a PG is 100x better than what we have out there right now when James sits. We need a real playmaker who players cant sag off of. Rondo was a -14 in 15 minutes this game. Thats checkmate right there. If we can pick up Marvin Williams and Collison while telling Rondo to (bleep) off with someone else we have fixed glaring holes.

I never really followed Marvin Williams career, but this is the first time I'm hearing so many people refer to him as a strong defensive player. Is he really that good or are we just getting desperate to add any wing?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We're a transition and drive and kick team. Outside of giving up offensive boards, HOU had nothing to lose going small against us.

Because there's teams that are better than us at the gameplan we want to establish, as well as better equipped to accomplish it, and we're not exactly a team of spring chickens that can run teams out of the building for 4 quarters straight. We can't out Fred Astaire, Fred Astaire.

We're one of the two or three best fast break teams in the league. If we start slowing down the pace, we'll be asking for even more trouble than we've had lately. We have to keep going with what's been working for us, and that's the uptempo game. We're not exactly an old team either overall.

This is where LeBron needs help. Having another ball-handling guard who can consistently push the pace, especially when LeBron's not out there, would really help.

If you want to talk offense, our halfcourt offense is the real problem.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

The Lakers came in expecting a repeat of the game plan @Houston. They just never seemed to adjust to Houston’s adjustments and they just didn’t look engaged defensively or offensively tbh.

Yes

Kuzma guarding Westbrook in Houston was something new. Last night, Westbrook was ready for Kuzma and it was brutal.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
TMG wrote:

I never really followed Marvin Williams career, but this is the first time I'm hearing so many people refer to him as a strong defensive player. Is he really that good or are we just getting desperate to add any wing?

Williams is a good player from what i've seen. He's big, can defend and shoot the 3 at a good clip. 36% career on 3pt FG i think. It's a mix of both. We are desperate for a wing but Marvin is no scrub. BUT and this is a big gamble really i'd much rather take a gamble on MKG..Dude cant shoot to save his life but his defense is elite. We need someone who can guard opposing teams best players at times and MKG is exactly what a team needs to do that. It's a hard choice Marvin is the much better shooter along with being a pretty good defender i think. And MKG is elite in one aspect of the game..Defense.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Being big isn't as useful as hitting 3s. Lakers outscored the Rockets by 22 in the paint, but the Rockets scored 30 more on 3s, that was just about the difference in the final score. Everyone knows this is the way the game's been heading for a long time now, and the Rockets are finally taking it to the ultimate extreme. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: