OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Japago wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The inability to do anything at the deadline is directly related to what they did do in the offseason.

The Lakers could've made smaller moves. The Sixers got Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III for 3 late 2nd rounders.

I'm talking about the Lakers going for one move at crucial times and missing out on others. I just think about how good the Lakers could've been had they given up on the Kawhi chase earlier and if they had other moves in the pipeline other than the Morris deal. Their other reported interests were also bigger potential moves like Rose, Schroder, and Bogdanovic.

I don't think the Lakers have a good eye on the entire landscape of potential moves.

Lakers do not have a second round pick until 2023. They could not trade their first round pick. Their one asset makes no money making him difficult to trade. Pelinka has nothing to work with which we knew last summer.

Kuzma is worth more than those 2nd rounders. Caruso should be worth more or as much as. THT should be worth as much.

The Lakers could've also used Cousins' expiring contract and Cook's non-guaranteed contract to take on an undesirable contract.

The Lakers' other players might've been useful to winning teams.

Good front offices are creative with roster moves. I highly doubt there was nothing available to the Lakers.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Marvin Williams just got bought out...Pelinka better be on the phone right the (bleep) now.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Marvin Williams would be a good pickup.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Japago wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The inability to do anything at the deadline is directly related to what they did do in the offseason.

The Lakers could've made smaller moves. The Sixers got Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III for 3 late 2nd rounders.

I'm talking about the Lakers going for one move at crucial times and missing out on others. I just think about how good the Lakers could've been had they given up on the Kawhi chase earlier and if they had other moves in the pipeline other than the Morris deal. Their other reported interests were also bigger potential moves like Rose, Schroder, and Bogdanovic.

I don't think the Lakers have a good eye on the entire landscape of potential moves.

Lakers do not have a second round pick until 2023. They could not trade their first round pick. Their one asset makes no money making him difficult to trade. Pelinka has nothing to work with which we knew last summer.

Kuzma is worth more than those 2nd rounders. Caruso should be worth more or as much as. THT should be worth as much.

The Lakers could've also used Cousins' expiring contract and Cook's non-guaranteed contract to take on an undesirable contract.

Good front offices are creative with roster moves. I highly doubt there was nothing available to the Lakers.

L4L78: You point out all the limitations Rob had to deal with at the deadline, but you do know he did all that to himself, right?

Unlike MozDeng, he didn't acquire those limitations. He was here engineering those limitations. Lets say Magic made all the calls before throwing our 2nd round picks away till 2022, Magic wasn't here when he negotiated the protections on all our future 1st round picks in the AD trade and writing up all the contracts he did this summer.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Rejected a better deal for Morris

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Pelinka first true test as a GM and he's (bleep) up while West is just running circles around him.

I get that the LA times news is shady but i wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Japago wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Japago wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

L4L78: You point out all the limitations Rob had to deal with at the deadline, but you do know he did all that to himself, right?

Unlike MozDeng, he didn't acquire those limitations. He was here engineering those limitations. Lets say Magic made all the calls before throwing our 2nd round picks away till 2022, Magic wasn't here when he negotiated the protections on all our future 1st round picks in the AD trade and writing up all the contracts he did this summer.

Jerry was genius when he kept the 2020 and 2021 1sts.. gave him an extra tool to play with.

Rob, as much as I want to root for him, he's really done nothing impressive. You're dead on Vash.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Pelinka first true test as a GM and he's (bleep) up while West is just running circles around him.

I feel who Rob had in his corner was Kobe for an expert opinion and now Kobe is gone. Kobe was a non official advisor.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

I feel who Rob had in his corner was Kobe for an expert opinion and now Kobe is gone. Kobe was a non official advisor.

Too bad if thats true..If thats true i'd rather have someone else as a GM. I mean dude has to see this team as constructed is a long shot to win it all. Clippers got better-Bucks got better.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Japago wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Japago wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Jerry was genius when he kept the 2020 and 2021 1sts.. gave him an extra tool to play with.

Rob, as much as I want to root for him, he's really done nothing impressive. You're dead on Vash.

Thx. I think its just so obvious cause Ballmer and his deep pockets will get the necessary talent to bring into their FO. Meanwhile, we seem to be hung up on legacy hires (Magic & Kobe by proxy aka Rob). I just feel Jeanie should have looked to the folks that been about that life for a minute, so if its a Laker legacy hire, look to Riles or the Logo. I mean you had his son Ryan here forever.

Anyways, Rob got an extension now, so although I don't think he has it yet, I hope he finds it soon and I'm rooting for it, cause some of the stuff right now is infuriating. As a fellow cap head, I'm sure you feel the same way.

Magic/Rob were not the best hires and some folks think we in the clear, now that Magic is out. We not! Rob needs his hands held till he can prove he can fly this (bleep) solo.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

I get that the LA times news is shady but i wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Why is not trading for Marvin Williams considered a bad thing? He's getting bought out as I type this. Thank goodness Rob didn't give up assets for a player who was just going to be bought out.

And I think the Clips overpaid for Morris. Some people here criticize Kuz and others as players who put up gaudy numbers for bad teams but aren't tough enough for the playoffs. But Morris was putting up career-best numbers for the Knicks. A very bad team. It's not as if he'll be a featured player for the Clips.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to assume that the Lakers could've gotten AD for less. The Lakers were in a tough spot since the negotiations were so well publicized and there were teams like Clippers and Celtics who still had all of their assets. Even though AD tried to discourage other teams from trading for him, history has shown that teams will step in and trade for available star players anyway.

The biggest mistake Rob made is still how he handled free agency in the off-season. He spent too long waiting on Kawhi. Lots of players went off the board. Maybe the other max guys like Jimmy or Kemba would've been interested? Bojan Bogdanovic has been absolutely amazing for Utah. He's been an all-star level player for them.

Funny enough, 2 of the main guys he tried to trade for were just free agents. Rose and Morris probably could've easily been had if the Lakers had gone after them. I think Morris even signed after the Kawhi decision, so I really don't know what went on there.

Last edited by Japago on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Why is not trading for Marvin Williams considered a bad thing? He's getting bought out as I type this. Thank goodness Rob didn't give up assets for a player who was just going to be bought out.

And I think the Clips overpaid for Morris. Some people here criticize Kuz and others as players who put up gaudy numbers for bad teams but aren't tough enough for the playoffs. But Morris was putting up career-best numbers for the Knicks. A very bad team. It's not as if he'll be a featured player for the Clips.

Thats what i meant regarding Marvin he was bought out and we didn't get him.

Morris was great for the Celtics aswell if you forgot. Guy shot like 38% percent from 3 for them whilst being able to guard multiple positions..We need perimeter defenders! We lost the chance of 2 potential ones. And we might not even get Collison. So yeah terrible job. He wants to keep the unit together because of the tragedy but if the unit isn't strong enough while other teams are getting stronger how is that good planning? He's done nothing to enhance the teams chances while Clippers got a 150 year old West making moves. We're paper tigers unless Ad and Lebron goes for 40 in the playoffs i have no faith in this team making it to the finals let alone win a chip the way we are constructed.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Rob sure is an idiot. We're only #1 in the west with a 10-6 record vs playoff teams. We clearly need to blow it up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I don't want to assume that the Lakers could've gotten AD for less. The Lakers were in a tough spot since the negotiations were so well publicized and there were teams like Clippers and Celtics who still had all of their assets. Even though AD tried to discourage other teams from trading for him, history has shown that teams will step in and trade for available star players anyway.

The biggest mistake Rob made is still how he handled free agency in the off-season. He spent too long waiting on Kawhi. Lots of players went off the board. Maybe the other max guys like Jimmy or Kemba would've been interested? Bojan Bogdanovic has been absolutely amazing for Utah. He's been an all-star level player for them.

Funny enough, 2 of the main guys he tried to trade for were just free agents. Rose and Morris probably could've easily been had if the Lakers had gone after them. I think Morris even signed after the Kawhi decision, so I really don't know what went on there.

The Clippers and Celtics weren’t bidding against us, we were bidding against ourselves.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Kobe wanted to trade Bynum for Kidd.
If you want to build a team, LeGM is better
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

But in Kobe’s defense, we never got to see him run the break with Jason.
Coulda been Noice
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Then stop using your feelings and use your brain. That is just absurd. It's amazing what people will come up with.

Last edited by Judah on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

People needs to give Rob a chance, this is year one of super team, it is hard to build a championship team year one, Miami and Cleveland didn’t win in their first season either. They can do something more this off season.
Rob has no assets to trade and no cap room to work with after kawhi, we are first in the west, what more can we ask?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

That is just so absurd. It's amazing what people will come up with.

Yeah man, some of these accusations on Rob lately are so ridiculous all I can do is shake my head. The jury is still out on him but let's not type out random outlandish thoughts and pretend like they're real.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Coulda been Noice

Lol

Kidd would not have been the difference maker against Boston. That was Bynum, clearly.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Coulda been Noice

Lol

Kidd would not have been the difference maker against Boston. That was Bynum, clearly.

I simply said it could’ve been nice to see how it played out, guy
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Yeah, Rob sure is an idiot. We're only #1 in the west with a 10-6 record vs playoff teams. We clearly need to blow it up.

Whats our record against legit title contenders? What has been the one common denominator in those losses? We cant (bleep) go small because we dont have the personell for it. Would have been nice to get either Morris or Marvin..Instead we have Rob here talking about keeping the core together because ChEmIsTrY...Chemistry going to beat a better constructed team?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:

Didn't get Marvin

Might get Collison

Then stop using your feelings and use your brain. That is just absurd. It's amazing what people will come up with.

My brain says Rob has said that he contacts Kobe for his opinion (amongst other things). Kobe has said that he contacts him and ask for his opinion. That's from a factual stand point. I'm sure they talk all the time, about all kinds of things because they were really good friends and Rob was Gianna's God father.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
2019 wrote:

Thx. I think its just so obvious cause Ballmer and his deep pockets will get the necessary talent to bring into their FO. Meanwhile, we seem to be hung up on legacy hires (Magic & Kobe by proxy aka Rob). I just feel Jeanie should have looked to the folks that been about that life for a minute, so if its a Laker legacy hire, look to Riles or the Logo. I mean you had his son Ryan here forever.

Anyways, Rob got an extension now, so although I don't think he has it yet, I hope he finds it soon and I'm rooting for it, cause some of the stuff right now is infuriating. As a fellow cap head, I'm sure you feel the same way.

Magic/Rob were not the best hires and some folks think we in the clear, now that Magic is out. We not! Rob needs his hands held till he can prove he can fly this (bleep) solo.

I think the people who are solely in Rob's corner are justified when you look at things at a macro view.. best record in the west, 2 super stars, championship role players, deep coaching staff, upgraded medical staff, genius talk series, etc. There is a new energy around the organization that we haven't seen since Kobe popped his Achilles. And Rob should ge credit for those things.

But he should also get questioned for essentially creating a roster with no tradeable assets. The 2 year deals w/player options he gave out, I'm assuming knowingly, came with that veto power. $7M (KCP), $4.1 (McGee), $2.85 (Rondo) are all essentially stuck. That's $14MM of unmovable contracts that if you waive, you take the stretched cap hit or the 2021 hit.

Then in a summer where Wes Matthews got essentially a minimum, we gave Green $15MM. In a vacuum, I don mind it because he's our best shooter (or was supposed to be) and he plays D with championship level experience. But given how important his is too our depth yet he becomes our only considerable salary that can be used in a trade.. it's quite the pickle. Then you got the other minimum guys + Bradley, Boogie and Cook who we're obviously scared to cut right now or in Bradley's case, very dependent on. For the record, I wouldn't cut any of those 3 unless push came to shove and then Boogie would be the cut. Although herein lies the problem - our star players built their own roster and thus cutting or trading anyone runs the risk pissing them off.. particularly AD who we're desperate to keep. (We will).

I know the past 3 weeks has been tough on everyone and I can only imagine how hard for Rob, Jeanie, and everyone in El Segundo but sitting back and turning down Kuzma, Bradley, and Cousins was a big mistake if they knew Collison was a real possibility and the same night as they turn that down, DC is sitting with Jeanie and Linnnnndddddaaa. Tonight, although not a game changer, we let a guy like Marvin Williams sign with the best team in the NBA when he fills a role for us-- 6'9, modestly defend, and hit shots at an above average/good clip.

I want to root for Pelinka, and I am. I hope he's the 2nd coming of Jerry West. But I think people who keep saying give him a chance or want to point out what he's done so far are overlooking how much we struggle against the legit teams and wing players. And the means for us to improve have either passed us by or are out of our hands.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
People needs to give Rob a chance, this is year one of super team, it is hard to build a championship team year one, Miami and Cleveland didn’t win in their first season either. They can do something more this off season.
Rob has no assets to trade and no cap room to work with after kawhi, we are first in the west, what more can we ask?

We are not super team tho
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 112 of 243
Jump to: