OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

VenturaClippersFan is reaching, no doubt Kawhi was looking to land where ever would acquiesce to his load managing demands without the team suffering during his absences and what other team had TWO other superstars in the food but the Lakers?

1978-2020
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject:

VLF has been a Laker fan longer then most of us have been alive. He often gets a bad wrap, but I don't believe his fandom should be questioned.

With that said, I tend to agree with your assessment about Kawhi's potential opportunities had he signed with the Lakers, LL2. I just don't think we should diminish his accomplishments as a player either. He's proven he doesn't need a super team to win.

And this is coming from someone who can't stand the Clippers. That was the last place I wanted to see him go.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Gawd damn, these kids be saying F the elderly.

I disagree that pursuing Kawhi was wrong (we had see that through), but VLF is right in that our FO wasn’t prepared for a contingency. They just weren’t. You hoarded cap for 2 years by crudely cutting away all our assets and what were we left with? Green...seriously?! Had Kawhi signed, the only way to keep Kcp and have him paid more than the vet min was the room exception. That shows we were willing to do that and so was he. That way, we keep his bird rights and hand him a bag (ie Klutch tax) the following summer. Dude can load manage Kawhi too, along with Bron/AD of course. But instead we hand him double the room amount after the Kawhi whiff...wtf?!

I love Jeanie, but this is on her. Rob should man the (bleep) up and tell her he needs help or a GM that he can overlook as the VPoBO, but his ego won’t let him. She’s gotta stop looking in-house for hires. It worked for her Dad in hiring West and Riles, but it’s not really working out for Jeanie.

Quick...Does anybody know who our assistant GM is?

It’s Jesse Buss and he has one advisor...old ass Bill Bertka (damn I’m a hypocrite, ain’t I?) He’s a respected old-head, but it’s just those 3 dudes and whatever Kurt & Linda do. Oh yeah, we also have a Salary cap/CBA advisor and that dude needs to be shown the door asap.

Meanwhile across the hall, Ballmer made Doc step down and just coach. He’s got a PoBO there in Lawerance. A GM there in Winger. A consultant in West. 2 assistants to the GM. 2 assistants & a manager to b-ball ops. Bruh?

They got more man power over there...while Rob wears two caps as VP and GM of b-ball ops, but is a novice to the cap game.

We constructed a roster and constructed a coaching staff. Now those same coaches our FO handpicked ain’t playing dudes on the roster that our FO constructed. So now we gotta scramble for more playmaking to help Bron with. And fans are screaming for AD to play more 5 (something he doesn’t want to do) and for us to march out more shooting (something the coaches dont want to do). It’s a (bleep) show and we largely afloat due to our star duo’s brilliance. But for how long can we ride them before those stars start to dwindle?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
VenturaClippersFan is reaching, no doubt Kawhi was looking to land where ever would acquiesce to his load managing demands without the team suffering during his absences and what other team had TWO other superstars in the food but the Lakers?

That is pretty much the opposite of what actually happened.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Is this the Rob Pelinka thread? Did I make a wrong turn at Albuquerque?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

From what I've read, Rob is pretty calculating on his actions. Being both a super agent and a lawyer has its advantages. Plus I guess he has pride in himself for being a bad ass.

I'm guessing uncle Dennis stroked Rob's ego "hey man, were coming, just get the cap space"... Meanwhile stringing the Lakers along to give the clippers more time to get a deal together.

Why would kawhi do this? Choose the clips over LBJ, AD and being a Laker? Because his group is trying to cement kawhi's reputation as a lone wolf. An assassin who doesn't take the easy road. He does it the hard way, as the pack leader.

All the while, knowing he chose the team with a richer owner, more experienced executive team... And kicked the great Lakers while they were down (magic debacle, 7 years without a post season run).

It was all part of the narrative. But who could have known this (if it was all true. Obviously all conjecture on My part). Rob would have to be super paranoid to even entertain this notion. He just flat out thought he had the claw in the bag.

Last edited by oaktown_dimond on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Who turned Jerry West away when he came knocking? The Gentleman is going to make the Slippers a champion right before our eyes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Who turned Jerry West away when he came knocking? The Gentleman is going to make the Slippers a champion right before our eyes.

Jeanie
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

But yeah, in retrospect, it had to become at least partially obvious kawhi was stalling at some point to where Rob should have been concerned. He did, and lined up his contingency plan. I'm sure he did reach out to kemba, dlo, Jimmy... But they balked at waiting for kawhi to decide. Danny was willing to wait, I suppose.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

Not getting a Kawhi was a big blow, but from Doc’s words directly, the Lakers being in play motivated them to give up one of the the biggest trade hauls in NBA history for George. Losing Morris was far less significant, but reports of the Lakers entertaining Kuzma plus Green (something I doubt was actually in play) surely strengthened NY’s bargaining position with the Clips. Harkless, who is a quality wing, Robinson, who was a 2018 lottery pick, a 2020 1st, swap rights on a 2021 1st, and a 2021 2nd from Detroit was not a small cost.

The Clips have three 1st round picks over the next seven years, all of them with swap rights held by other teams. They have Kawhi, George, Montrezl, Lou and Morris coming due in free agency by the end of next season at the latest. League revenue isn’t growing as quickly as projected and the next TV deal may not be spectacular. One can’t ignore Kawhi’s injury issues either.

The Clips are legit title contenders, maybe even co-favorites with Milwaukee given health. But it’s a house of cards for sure.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:

Jeanie
Sad but true, and damning.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Not getting a Kawhi was a big blow, but from Doc’s words directly, the Lakers being in play motivated them to give up one of the the biggest trade hauls in NBA history for George. Losing Morris was far less significant, but reports of the Lakers entertaining Kuzma plus Green (something I doubt was actually in play) surely strengthened NY’s bargaining position with the Clips. Harkless, who is a quality wing, Robinson, who was a 2018 lottery pick, a 2020 1st, swap rights on a 2021 1st, and a 2021 2nd from Detroit was not a small cost.

The Clips have three 1st round picks over the next seven years, all of them with swap rights held by other teams. They have Kawhi, George, Montrezl, Lou and Morris coming due in free agency by the end of next season at the latest. League revenue isn’t growing as quickly as projected and the next TV deal may not be spectacular. One can’t ignore Kawhi’s injury issues either.

The Clips are legit title contenders, maybe even co-favorites with Milwaukee given health. But it’s a house of cards for sure.

they paid a crap load for Morris.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

This is a grounded take and I appreciate it.

No team is perfectly assembled and the cLips have their own set of problems, but when you look at the collection of assets, it’s hard to ignore how our FO threw them away vs theirs.

Blake brought back assets. Tobias brought back assets. Meanwhile we renounced our assets and met them walk for nothing WHEN THEY WAS RESTRICTED...wtf! We waived trivial cap holds if young players to secure 1-2m in extra cap space...wow. We dumped assets via trade prematurely and have nothing to show for it other than paying Green/Kcp/Boog/Cook more...yikes!

The market is going to be less than stellar this summer, so the forecast looks for S&Tszn again and with that the cLips have Trez and Mook as assets now. Shamet, Lou and even Zu (not a terrible contract for a young big) are assets. Their future pick control is bare now, but guess what, so is ours.

The only solace is that we can keep our 2020 pick, possibly our 2021 or 2022 pick, our 2023 pick (once swapped) and possibly either our 2024 or 2025 pick and our 2026. So at a minimum in that 6 year window we have 5 picks (that can get traded AFTER the draft concludes and not as future picks depending on how Nawlins chooses to play it). Meanwhile during that same 6 year window, the cLips only have their 2021 (swap), 2023 (swap) and 2025 (swap) picks. We’ll have two more 1sts to help grease deals with. But that’s the thing...we need to explore deals instead of keep them being that both franchises are in win-now mode. Clearing all that cap for Bro ln to bring AD on board is great for setting up the future since AD is young, but that doesn’t mean we should just waste this current duo’s potential. We got to exploit them for titles right the (bleep) now!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

The problem with projecting that far out is that our key guy is 35 and theirs is 28.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Any bet the clippers did on the sustainibility of their success in the future, we did one bigger.
I wouldn't criticize them about that.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/f7jarm/they_said_they_wanted_green_and_kuz_i_said_we_can/
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/f7jarm/they_said_they_wanted_green_and_kuz_i_said_we_can/

Damn straight.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
drae wrote:

Damn straight.

[Insert Spiderman pointing at Spiderman emoji in reference to Morris and Morris]
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Smart move by Pelinka on Cousins. He made the right call.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

not trading DG and Kuz looks even better now
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

One thing I love about Rob is that he absolutely shows no desperation thus far. Nearly no leaks since Magic has separated himself from the front office as well, I think the Lakers are quickly getting back to being a highly respected organization again which is a beautiful thing to see after enduring the last 5+ years. He had moves on the table from what we heard but like him I didn't think any of them were worth the cost (at least the ones that were publicly talked about) and as corny as it sounds the best move many times is no move at all.

He sill has a lot to prove obviously as I can see some negatives and positives thus far but I give him credit how not only are we a contender again but he transformed the entire origination from being under a rain cloud with us fans just dreading to hear the next bit of drama coming out of the locker room or front office to a respectable destination again where the morale and chemistry is a complete 180 from everything we have seen and heard this season. That's not an easy thing to do especially when the media is dying to get that next toxic news bit.

If he can pull off getting one more player added that actually somewhat fills one of our remaining weaknesses he deserves a ton of credit as he is clearly putting in the work without making any desperation moves which would be a very easy thing to do when you're under the microscope of the sports world like he is this season especially.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
One thing I love about Rob is that he absolutely shows no desperation thus far. Nearly no leaks since Magic has separated himself from the front office as well, I think the Lakers are quickly getting back to being a highly respected organization again which is a beautiful thing to see after enduring the last 5+ years. He had moves on the table from what we heard but like him I didn't think any of them were worth the cost (at least the ones that were publicly talked about) and as corny as it sounds the best move many times is no move at all.

He sill has a lot to prove obviously as I can see some negatives and positives thus far but I give him credit how not only are we a contender again but he transformed the entire origination from being under a rain cloud with us fans just dreading to hear the next bit of drama coming out of the locker room or front office to a respectable destination again where the morale and chemistry is a complete 180 from everything we have seen and heard this season. That's not an easy thing to do especially when the media is dying to get that next toxic news bit.

If he can pull off getting one more player added that actually somewhat fills one of our remaining weaknesses he deserves a ton of credit as he is clearly putting in the work without making any desperation moves which would be a very easy thing to do when you're under the microscope of the sports world like he is this season especially.

Amen, brother. Yet some folks here think he’s some sort of clueless clown. Lol to those folks that, thankfully, are not running teams. He’s done great.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
hype wrote:

Amen, brother. Yet some folks here think he’s some sort of clueless clown. Lol to those folks that, thankfully, are not running teams. He’s done great.

He has done a great job, but still a lot of people don’t give him credit. Since March 2017.

Staring point 26-56 3rd worse record in the league (with Moz & Deng highest paid players)
to 3 yrs later 42-12 2nd best record in the league (with LBJ & AD highest paid players)
But we choose to nick pick and not look how far we have gone. Great job Rob keep it up.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Rob.

Watching his speech. You can clearly see next to Vanessa, Kobes children, Kobes parents, sister .. Rob is next family. In fact one could argue that Kobe was closest to Vanessa and then Rob. So this is probably so hard on Rob and has been like losing family in a tragedy to him. Not just family, but family you are close with on a day to day basis with.

While holding one of the toughest most demanding jobs in pro sports. I have to admit, I am a much bigger Pelinka supporter now than I was before. He has always had my support since he is a Laker, but there is no doubt in my mind now that I want this to work out for him, because Kobe believed in him so much. Magic tried to railroad his FA and his summer. Yet somehow Rob managed to stay calm and make some moves that got the Lakers into contention.

Rob for Exec of the year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

This is a grounded take and I appreciate it.

No team is perfectly assembled and the cLips have their own set of problems, but when you look at the collection of assets, it’s hard to ignore how our FO threw them away vs theirs.

Blake brought back assets. Tobias brought back assets. Meanwhile we renounced our assets and met them walk for nothing WHEN THEY WAS RESTRICTED...wtf! We waived trivial cap holds if young players to secure 1-2m in extra cap space...wow. We dumped assets via trade prematurely and have nothing to show for it other than paying Green/Kcp/Boog/Cook more...yikes!

The market is going to be less than stellar this summer, so the forecast looks for S&Tszn again and with that the cLips have Trez and Mook as assets now. Shamet, Lou and even Zu (not a terrible contract for a young big) are assets. Their future pick control is bare now, but guess what, so is ours.

The only solace is that we can keep our 2020 pick, possibly our 2021 or 2022 pick, our 2023 pick (once swapped) and possibly either our 2024 or 2025 pick and our 2026. So at a minimum in that 6 year window we have 5 picks (that can get traded AFTER the draft concludes and not as future picks depending on how Nawlins chooses to play it). Meanwhile during that same 6 year window, the cLips only have their 2021 (swap), 2023 (swap) and 2025 (swap) picks. We’ll have two more 1sts to help grease deals with. But that’s the thing...we need to explore deals instead of keep them being that both franchises are in win-now mode. Clearing all that cap for Bro ln to bring AD on board is great for setting up the future since AD is young, but that doesn’t mean we should just waste this current duo’s potential. We got to exploit them for titles right the (bleep) now!

The restricted asset you are talking about is a guy nobody wants. Nobody was trying to trade for Randle last season at the deadline and only a desperate team like the Knicks even stepped up to kind of pay him. Randle isn't an asset like Harris and Blake Griffin were.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 114 of 243
Jump to: