anyone else losing interest in this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We were spoiled guys. We saw the '09-'10 Championship Lakers from near infancy.

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.

Some reason I thought 2004 felt much more mercenary than this team, which at least does show evidence of camaraderie whereas that team was a hot mess from training camp on, but in the end, I don't think it's good enough. We're the 3rd best team in the NBA, records notwithstanding. I will be surprised if we topple both LAC and MIL, but will watch the remainder. They've been slumping for awhile tho, and that began before Kobe's death, but I also understand how draining that must've been to most of them, especially Brawn. I felt sick the first day and dazed for a week. Didn't even want to talk about it. I think they've been looking forward to the ASB and they'll hopefully recommit to better effort on team D for the next month or so.

This part of the season is doldrums and monotony in a GOOD year, much less after what happened on the 26th -- and there's still the memorial which will take place after they return to play. Just hoping for no major injuries to one of the big 2 and that they've still got a level of play above what they've done thus far. I know the Clippers do. Fact that it was them that got postponed didn't help because a lot of us were waiting for their first win against LAC to be a barometer of what they might be as a playoff team.

2004 came on the heels of Colorado. That entire season, we could just sense the smoldering tension that came to a head a year later.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.

Some reason I thought 2004 felt much more mercenary than this team, which at least does show evidence of camaraderie whereas that team was a hot mess from training camp on, but in the end, I don't think it's good enough. We're the 3rd best team in the NBA, records notwithstanding. I will be surprised if we topple both LAC and MIL, but will watch the remainder. They've been slumping for awhile tho, and that began before Kobe's death, but I also understand how draining that must've been to most of them, especially Brawn. I felt sick the first day and dazed for a week. Didn't even want to talk about it. I think they've been looking forward to the ASB and they'll hopefully recommit to better effort on team D for the next month or so.

This part of the season is doldrums and monotony in a GOOD year, much less after what happened on the 26th -- and there's still the memorial which will take place after they return to play. Just hoping for no major injuries to one of the big 2 and that they've still got a level of play above what they've done thus far. I know the Clippers do. Fact that it was them that got postponed didn't help because a lot of us were waiting for their first win against LAC to be a barometer of what they might be as a playoff team.

It's weird that most of our main players are most associated with other teams.

LeBron-- Cavs/HEAT
Davis-- Pelicans
Green-- Spurs
KCP-- Pistons
Rondo-- Celtics
Bradley-- Celtics
Dwight-- Magic
McGee-- Wizards/Nuggets

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

No offense, but I think you're just romanticizing the past.

I don't see how are current roster is any more mercenaries than Phil Jackson, Odom, Gasol, Ariza and Metta were.

They all came from somewhere else, and they all left to somewhere else (or were booted out by us when we thought we could replace them with someone better).

People are down now because Kobe past away and the team is struggling against top teams. If we win a ring, my guess is people will remember these current struggles in a positive way -- the team did it for Kobe, they learned to come together, etc.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I don't see how are current roster is any more mercenaries than Phil Jackson, Odom, Gasol, Ariza and Metta were.

They all came from somewhere else, and they all left to somewhere else (or were booted out by us when we thought we could replace them with someone better).

People are down now because Kobe past away and the team is struggling against top teams. If we win a ring, my guess is people will remember these current struggles in a positive way -- the team did it for Kobe, they learned to come together, etc.

None of lamar, pau, ariza and metta had a ring before coming to LA.
The lakers were a big chance for them to establish some kind of legacy.

Do you believe that, even if we win a ring, the legacy of james, rondo, green or mcgee will be bond to the lakers?

Last edited by cencio_999 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, since Kobe died, I haven't watched a single game anywhere in the NBA. I just lost my zest for it. I don't know when it'll come back, but I hope soon.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I posted without reading the other posts. I didn't know so many others were like me, feeling this way about the NBA post Kobe. I just can't seem to get into basketball the way I used to, and when I try to get Kobe off my mind, I have to read something else about him, or see another tribute. I just can't get away from it seems like.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

When you compare this team to our 67 and 65 win championship teams, they have some glaring holes that make it questionable whether they can go all the way as constructed currently.

Kobe's death also doesn't help matters.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There's really no comparison.

LBJ is #3 on the all time scoring list, but 85-90% of his points weren't with the Lakers. Green JUST won a chip on another squad after winning chips on a squad which was our rival for a decade. Dwight left and came back as a sloppy 2nds. Davis was in NO but wasn't nearly as successful as CP3 there. I could go on forever.

I want us to win. I'm rooting for us to win. But if Kobe is still alive right now. It would be strange to feel the same attachment to this team as we did in '09-'10.

Who is our longest tenured Laker on the roster right now?
I have no idea. I'm guessing either Caruso, Kuzma or Bron. It looks even worse if you look at games played. At least Pau played that whole season (including playoffs) in '08. Bron was pretty much hurt after Xmas last season.

Sure Artest came later on. But Ariza was a nobody in ORL before coming here and developing his set shot and transition O. We even watched Pau's break through the wall which is HOFer KG. Phil was on and off with us for over a decade. And to see the transition from his comments on Kobe in his book, to his '09-'10 comments. It's a major transformation. The stuff fictional books are written about.

Not hating on our current squad. Just explaining why it would be strange to be as attached to this squad as our championship '09-'10 squads. Kobe's death or not.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I keep hearing people say how AD is lacking some quality because of the way he is playing this year. And i think that is not fair to him because we don't use any kind of team strategy that highlights what he does. it's all lebron lebron lebron. AD 90% of the time is catching the ball from lebron somewhere around the arc and then has to work. as far as i can tell, the only deliberate team strategy we have is "what can we do to get lebron an assist?"

we should be coming up with ways to let AD work in the paint and in a way where he is making decisions, not just lebron. and we need to do something other than drive and kick. we are not the best drive kick team in the league...almost all these playoff teams are better at that. we are bigger and skilled big than any other team, but we don't really use it. we use our bigs to screen lebron way up high and they have to rush back for rebounds and rolls. this is lame. and why? so lebron can get assists. F lebron's assists, i don't give a rats a about them. lebron also takes way too many long bombs as if hes lillard or something. were going to lose because of lebron is trying to get too many assists. why do we have so many turnovers? cuz lebron is trying so damn hard to get assists. we are not playing smart, and as usual, nobody is saying why. there is nothing fundamentally unselfish about assists. you can ballhog assists, which is what lebron is doing.

yea yea im bashing him. but its the real reason. i also hear whenever kcp or green etc has a bad shooting night its their fault we lose. NO! it's still lebron. shooters are going to be hot some days some days not. if that's what we are relying for to win a ring, we are going to lose because every team is better at that, even the bad ones. if all these kcp green bradley troy types were hitting the way people expect them to, we would be winning games 200-75.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

i posted this similar topic before the beginning of the season and got roasted. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=188172&highlight=

you post this with a team that is 2nd in the league and there are polite responses..lol
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
i posted this similar topic before the beginning of the season and got roasted. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=188172&highlight=

you post this with a team that is 2nd in the league and there are polite responses..lol

You were just ahead of the times BSM!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

NFW....!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There's really no comparison.

LBJ is #3 on the all time scoring list, but 85-90% of his points weren't with the Lakers. Green JUST won a chip on another squad after winning chips on a squad which was our rival for a decade. Dwight left and came back as a sloppy 2nds. Davis was in NO but wasn't nearly as successful as CP3 there. I could go on forever.

I want us to win. I'm rooting for us to win. But if Kobe is still alive right now. It would be strange to feel the same attachment to this team as we did in '09-'10.

Who is our longest tenured Laker on the roster right now?
I have no idea. I'm guessing either Caruso, Kuzma or Bron. It looks even worse if you look at games played. At least Pau played that whole season (including playoffs) in '08. Bron was pretty much hurt after Xmas last season.

Sure Artest came later on. But Ariza was a nobody in ORL before coming here and developing his set shot and transition O. We even watched Pau's break through the wall which is HOFer KG. Phil was on and off with us for over a decade. And to see the transition from his comments on Kobe in his book, to his '09-'10 comments. It's a major transformation. The stuff fictional books are written about.

Not hating on our current squad. Just explaining why it would be strange to be as attached to this squad as our championship '09-'10 squads. Kobe's death or not.

Fair enough. I don't get particularly attached to players myself. To me, they're just entertainers, And I expect them to come and go depending on what's In their own best interests.

I can enjoy the players on this team this year in isolation. It doesn't really matter to me what they did before or what they'll do after us.

I wouldn't be enjoyying the season anymore or less if the team was playing exactly the same, but the roster was Randall, Ingram, Russell, Clarkson, Ball and Nance
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I remember when the big matchups like Lakers vs. Celtics Xmas 2008 would get 100+ pages on the game threads. I guess there are a lot more options now like Reddit for discussion. But we're the top team in the west and I'm seeing 12 page game threads. Cmon...

I really hope we are not seeing the slow death of LG.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

It also doesn't help when the team looks deflated and isn't giving much effort and being lazy with the ball (Lebron). It's definitely a letdown, aside from the major one - Kobe.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Bunch of fair weather fans. Each team goes with there own struggles. Our chances is as good as any. Until I see another team eliminated us back n the playoff, I will believe LBJ 23 + AD 3 = 26 Championship = for Kobe 24 + Gigi 2.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
kwase wrote:
Part of it is that there is no home grown talent on our team. These guys are all from other teams and we have no connection to them. That's why I am against trading Kuzma, because he's the only guy on the team that feels like a Laker. AD needs to sign a long-term contract before we can mentally invest in him.

The other part of it is that the our team is boring to watch. All lebron teams are boring IMO. That's why I'm hoping Zion can have a long career, because at least he's exiting to watch play.

ZION? so basically you're now a Pel's fan.

Of course not. But half their team are ex-Lakers and I don't like how they were traded. I can watch other teams and enjoy good basketball while still rooting for my Lakers. One has nothing to do with the other.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I’ve lost interest in seeing them beat bad, mediocre and first round exit teams. After struggling vs the Clippers and the Bucks, I’d have more interest in watching the Lakers play either of those teams.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Honestly, since Kobe died, I haven't watched a single game anywhere in the NBA. I just lost my zest for it. I don't know when it'll come back, but I hope soon.

For me I wouldn't pin the blame on this team, but since the tragedy, because it was a shock for everyone, a lot of people are probably coping in their own way, so it will probably be a while before some of us have that same zeal for watching games.
k4lakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Some of you so called "Laker fans" really disgust me!

This! I Couldn’t agree more! I loved Kobe just as much as anyone... I’d argue even more. I cry at the drop of a hat at the mere mention of Kobe’s name or when I see something that reminds me of him. I also love the Lakers, through good and bad.

Since day 1, I’ve really loved this team. The chemistry of this team was evident then and even more so now. They have gone through an unspeakable tragedy and whether or not we win this year, this team is, and will be very special to me.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
I’ve lost interest in seeing them beat bad, mediocre and first round exit teams. After struggling vs the Clippers and the Bucks, I’d have more interest in watching the Lakers play either of those teams.

Come on dude we're 14-10 against teams at .500 or above and so are the flippers.

We've won against

Jazz x2
Denver
Miami x2
Houston
Dallas x3

Bucks game we got demolished but also on a B2B if i remember correctly? Clippers game we should have won the last one but played awful basketball in the 4Q..We only got killed against the bucks. We are a flawed team but we're not scrubs. We can win against anyone on any given night. Problem is and will always be..We cant play Rondo against good teams. We need a decent PG seriously just a decent PG would do. And a defensive wing.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Kobe dying gave me a different feel for the Lakers. It's kinda like he was the heart of the Lakers and it's not beating for me right now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

July post vs Feb matters a lot. We had gone months w/o hoops and were excited more or less for anything. Now we're in the dog daze.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

NO!!!!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GTL wrote:
I’ve lost interest in the NBA as a whole. That includes this team.

Ja Morant is a fun watch, maybe check out some Grizzly games. We could run into them 1st round of the playoffs.

Giannis is my guy right now. I hope he can find a way to get to the west coast after winning a couple in MIL so I can watch him play.

Who do you take in a game of one on one for your life? Pre-achilles Durant or Giannis?

Giannis is undoubtedly the best player in the world. He has a chance to win a chip pretty much on his own. Even Jordan had Pippen. Middleton/Bledsoe is no Pippen. I'm saying all this just to point out how high I am on Giannis.

But a little voice in my head keeps telling me. Part of Giannis's untouchable-ness is related to GS killing some of Durant's prime years by letting him play in the finals. Let's not forget, this was supposed to be Durant's time as greatest player on the planet.

Not saying Giannis still wouldn't have been better than pre-Achilles Durant. But MAYBE not. Maybe BRK is the best team in the East right now if the achilles injury doesn't happen. Maybe if GS wasn't so selfish. Durant makes Giannis look the same way Kobe made TMac look. All-time Special, but still not the best at the position at the time.

One on one with three pointers (or even 2pt three pointers) is Durant, all day.

Giannis wins the head game, though. He is grounded, focused, like Kobe was. Durant has always struck me as a bit of a moron...his game day psyche is susceptible to online trolling. He left a perfectly good scenario to play with someone who is almost as big a diva as he is.

Giannis for team-building. Giannis for defense, for big man play. Giannis for thrills...he's damned spectacular to watch. Durant for clutch play.

Giannis.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: