anyone else losing interest in this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't like watching LeBron play, never have, never will. So it's hard for me to really be into the games while he's still such a large focal point of our team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We were spoiled guys. We saw the '09-'10 Championship Lakers from near infancy.

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.

No offense, but I think you're just romanticizing the past.

I don't see how are current roster is any more mercenaries than Phil Jackson, Odom, Gasol, Ariza and Metta were.

They all came from somewhere else, and they all left to somewhere else (or were booted out by us when we thought we could replace them with someone better).

People are down now because Kobe past away and the team is struggling against top teams. If we win a ring, my guess is people will remember these current struggles in a positive way -- the team did it for Kobe, they learned to come together, etc.

None of lamar, pau, ariza and metta had a ring before coming to LA.
The lakers were a big chance for them to establish some kind of legacy.

Do you believe that, even if we win a ring, the legacy of james, rondo, green or mcgee will be bond to the lakers?

Honestly, I don't give a crap about players' "legacy." I think that's just a cliche that people toss around, and very few people care about the "legacy" of 99% of the guys who played in the NBA throughout its history.

Ultimately, it's all dust and everything is forgotten -- the only question is how long it takes to be forgotten. I mean who gives a crap about the "legacy" of great athletes in ancient greece who were heroes in their day? Heck, who gives a crap about the "legacy" of NBA players in the 1950s?

What matters is the now.

So, yeah, if we win a ring it will matter, because it's in the present, and that's the only time that actually exists.

As one of my yoga teachers says, "The future is a projection, and the past is an illusion."
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

The Big 3 sports leagues are all becoming harder for me to watch.

NBA all 3s, no contact allowed. 7’0 plus dudes afraid to go in the paint. No midrange game. Porzingiz should be going for 15-20 from the field every night with his size and skill but he won’t go inside the arc. Incredible.

MLB all about “launch angle” taking away the strategy and nuance of the game. Home run or bust. Cheating scandal is icing on the cake.

NFL all passing. I’m not that old and some of the stars of my youth were running backs. Faulk, Sanders, Smith, LT. plus the physicality is reduced. I get it on a human level, but the entertainment has gone down. It is what it is. I wouldn’t be shocked if football as we know it today is gone in 15 years. Not saying that’s bad, but the reality.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
I don't like watching LeBron play, never have, never will. So it's hard for me to really be into the games while he's still such a large focal point of our team.

Like Max Kellerman says, “Lebron is like if Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan had a baby.” Seriously, what’s not to like about his game?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

NBA all 3s, no contact allowed. 7’0 plus dudes afraid to go in the paint. No midrange game. Porzingiz should be going for 15-20 from the field every night with his size and skill but he won’t go inside the arc. Incredible.

MLB all about “launch angle” taking away the strategy and nuance of the game. Home run or bust. Cheating scandal is icing on the cake.

NFL all passing. I’m not that old and some of the stars of my youth were running backs. Faulk, Sanders, Smith, LT. plus the physicality is reduced. I get it on a human level, but the entertainment has gone down. It is what it is. I wouldn’t be shocked if football as we know it today is gone in 15 years. Not saying that’s bad, but the reality.

Sports is always evolving or devolving depending on what you grew up with. What you enjoyed when you first fell in love with watching a sport is probably not the same sport that you are watching today. The games are played differently, plus because of an emphasis on safety, some sports don't resemble what we grew up watching.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Like Max Kellerman says, “Lebron is like if Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan had a baby.” Seriously, what’s not to like about his game?

LeBron is great. But he ain’t got the pure beauty of watching him like MJ, Magic, or Kobe did. He is just very efficient at getting his 27 7 7.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Sports is always evolving or devolving depending on what you grew up with. What you enjoyed when you first fell in love with watching a sport is probably not the same sport that you are watching today. The games are played differently, plus because of an emphasis on safety, some sports don't resemble what we grew up watching.

You are right. Maybe I’m still too young to appreciate the differences across a couple generations. They’ve changed from when I grew up though, and imo, not for the (as a fan) better.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I’m still watching all of the games, but wins and losses don’t hit me as they did last season. I like Vogel. This is good group of guys, they have had some fun moments and I think they are third-best team in the league, but I’m not fully connected with the team. I rarely listen to postgame, which was always part of the night. And I don’t follow the game thread as religiously as I did.

Like so many others have said, I look at this team as guys in Lakers jerseys but not Lakers. I wish I felt differently, considering the string of losing seasons we have endured and this team could be the top seed in the West. If this was Zo, BI and Randle playing this well, I would have been walking the streets with my chest poked out. Being this good seemed impossible 2 years ago.

I have never disliked this team. And I do appreciate them more for the way they have handled themselves since the tragedy. I’m so sad and we all are still hurting, so I know it must be especially tough on them.

Now with all of that said, I will keep following the standings and be ready for a return to the playoffs.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.

I don't see how are current roster is any more mercenaries than Phil Jackson, Odom, Gasol, Ariza and Metta were.

They all came from somewhere else, and they all left to somewhere else (or were booted out by us when we thought we could replace them with someone better).

People are down now because Kobe past away and the team is struggling against top teams. If we win a ring, my guess is people will remember these current struggles in a positive way -- the team did it for Kobe, they learned to come together, etc.

No offense, but I think you’re glossing over just how special and unique that squad was to Laker history
For many reasons.
Kikanga’s eloquence in recalling some of them is appreciated.

Not EVERYTHING is equal in the end or worth constant counter arguments and habitual over analyzation, activerb. Try feeling something as a fan... u just may end up liking it
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Yes, but sometimes the rule changes due to the evolution of the game are great. In this case I agree with Partyman. These changes blow.
It’s an overall weakening of what separates sport from society and what in turn allows us to link the primal mind back to the modern one in a bloodless way.
In an age where athletes are faster and stronger than ever they’re not even allowed to put their hand on the ball handler’s hip to check him.
This is flat out pathetic. It’s like the lowering of test standards. The accomplishments of the collective in the meantime can’t come close to commanding the type of respect that their predecessors enjoyed due to this fact.

And That is merely evolution of a different kind, my good man. Not all things that grow grow well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

No offense, but I think you’re glossing over just how special and unique that squad was to Laker history
For many reasons.
Kikanga’s eloquence in recalling some of them is appreciated.

Not EVERYTHING is equal in the end or worth constant counter arguments and habitual over analyzation, activerb. Try feeling something as a fan... u just may end up liking it

Your opinion is cool with me. The Lakers have been fortunate to win a lot of rings. And different fans will have different emotional reactions to the different rings.

Some people like you might consider the 09 and to 10 rings more special. Some might feel that way about the 3-peat rings, or the showtime rings, or the Wilt/West ring. And if we win a ring this year, they'll be some fans who think that's the most special ring of all.

To each their own.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

You're hitting on an important point. It's not so much that the sport is changing, It's that we're always changing.

Not everyone, but most people have a greater emotional connection to sports when they are younger. They still might enjoy watching sports later in life, but they don't have the same connection to players at 50 or 60 that they did at 10 or 20.

That's why it's much more common for people to say a sport was better back in the day, rather than it's better today than it was in the past. That's always been true.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

You're hitting on an important point. It's not so much that the sport is changing, It's that we're always changing.

Not everyone, but most people have a greater emotional connection to sports when they are younger. They still might enjoy watching sports later in life, but they don't have the same connection to players at 50 or 60 that they did at 10 or 20.

That's why it's much more common for people to say a sport was better back in the day, rather than it's better today than it was in the past. That's always been true.

Yup. I remember this point where I wanted buy a Bynum jersey (when he was emerging) but then I realized that I had never worn the jersey of someone younger than me.

Anyway, you’re right. When you’re younger, you look up to these players in a way that you don’t when you’re much older than they are. I dont have posters of players in my bedroom anymore either. Haha
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

I think most of this is regular season fatigue... 82 games is an insane amount to keep 100% hyped up for. By this time of the year, the excitement for any new players has faded and you already know how good or bad your team is so its basically just bidding time until the playoffs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I think most of this is regular season fatigue... 82 games is an insane amount to keep 100% hyped up for. By this time of the year, the excitement for any new players has faded and you already know how good or bad your team is so its basically just bidding time until the playoffs.

Partly. It doesn't help that the team isn't playing better.

I'd be willing to bet Grizzlies fans are more hyped about their team than ever right now.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Yup. I remember this point where I wanted buy a Bynum jersey (when he was emerging) but then I realized that I had never worn the jersey of someone younger than me.

Anyway, you’re right. When you’re younger, you look up to these players in a way that you don’t when you’re much older than they are. I dont have posters of players in my bedroom anymore either. Haha

I fell in love with the game because of Magic Johnson. He played an exciting brand of basketball and he had this huge smile and gregarious personality. It was easy for any kid to latch onto him.

I had never experienced that same joy I had as a child until Kobe Bryant came along. But I connected with him in a different way than with Magic. It wasn't just a pure joy of the game. I was in high school when Kobe entered the league, and by then I understood the pain and sacrifice that comes with hard work. I looked to him for inspiration.

Bad breakup with a girlfriend? I knew I could turn on the tv and watch Kobe annihilate his opponent. Big final exam coming up? Hit the books like Kobe would. Bad day at work? Watch Kobe grind out a tough game through injuries that any other player would sit out for. This was my guy.

With Kobe gone, we lost more than just a basketball god. It reaches beyond the borders of sport. I've tried watching games since 1/26 but it's just not the same, if I even watch it at all. It doesn't have the same meaning.

I'm not one of these posters hating on Lebron, but I've just never connected with him. I'm grateful he's here and helped turn this team around. That's all well and good. But he doesn't give me that pure joy of the game that first Magic, and then Kobe gave me.

I don't know what it is about this team, they just seem to lack soul. Maybe it's not even them at all. Maybe I'm just older and will never be able to experience what I did in my youth again. Maybe the player who will give me that nostalgia again has already been born. Who knows? Whatever the reason may be, I'm just having a hard time loving the game.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

I fell in love with the game because of Magic Johnson. He played an exciting brand of basketball and he had this huge smile and gregarious personality. It was easy for any kid to latch onto him.

I had never experienced that same joy I had as a child until Kobe Bryant came along. But I connected with him in a different way than with Magic. It wasn't just a pure joy of the game. I was in high school when Kobe entered the league, and by then I understood the pain and sacrifice that comes with hard work. I looked to him for inspiration.

Bad breakup with a girlfriend? I knew I could turn on the tv and watch Kobe annihilate his opponent. Big final exam coming up? Hit the books like Kobe would. Bad day at work? Watch Kobe grind out a tough game through injuries that any other player would sit out for. This was my guy.

With Kobe gone, we lost more than just a basketball god. It reaches beyond the borders of sport. I've tried watching games since 1/26 but it's just not the same, if I even watch it at all. It doesn't have the same meaning.

I'm not one of these posters hating on Lebron, but I've just never connected with him. I'm grateful he's here and helped turn this team around. That's all well and good. But he doesn't give me that pure joy of the game that first Magic, and then Kobe gave me.

I don't know what it is about this team, they just seem to lack soul. Maybe it's not even them at all. Maybe I'm just older and will never be able to experience what I did in my youth again. Maybe the player who will give me that nostalgia again has already been born. Who knows? Whatever the reason may be, I'm just having a hard time loving the game.

It's because Lebron is on the decline.

Also, there was little momentum.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Don't dis on the team because Kobe is dead*

I think y'all just getting old

*Watching tonight was weird. I was looking around and no Kobe ever again does change
The way I'm seeing the whole arena and the activities

Truth.

I am not disinterested at all. I enjoy the journey. Each loss is hopefully a learning experience for the team in the future.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Don't dis on the team because Kobe is dead*

I think y'all just getting old

*Watching tonight was weird. I was looking around and no Kobe ever again does change
The way I'm seeing the whole arena and the activities

Truth.

I am not disinterested at all. I enjoy the journey. Each loss is hopefully a learning experience for the team in the future.

Same. Journeys have always had more appeal to me than the destination.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if losing interest is the right choice of words. More like, losing hope, since we look like a totally different team. Our defense is average and we dont seem to be playing with the same excitement. This leads me to believe we will probably get knocked out in the playoffs which will suck since Bron is one year older next season.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Max Kellerman is a boxing analyst .

Lebron is nothing like Magic nor Michael. For one, Magic shot like 90% on his free throws. Lebron is marginally better than Shaquille I’m that regard, and cannot be counted on to make them in the clutch. Second, Magic elevated the entire team in terms of field goal percentage, teammates had career years. I remember an info. graphic in the ‘88 or ‘89 playoffs which listed James Worthy and Kurt Rambis as the #1 and #2 in career field goal percentage during the playoffs in league history. I cannot name a single teammate whom has had a career year with Lebron, just about every teammate has had career years elsewhere. Do not need to talk about Michael, I already mentioned the clutch aspect. He also didn’t need to join his olympic teammates to win a championship. He won with the guys he molded in practice.

I recognize Lebron’s strengths and weaknesses as a basketball player, I don’t resort to cheap comparisons.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

For me, that's a natural part of the aging. The older I get, the less I care about professional sports. There has been a steady decline in my interest in the NBA over the past 20 years. I enjoy the NBA as an entertainment, but I consider the sport and its players a relatively insignificant part of my life.

If the league disappeared tomorrow, it honestly wouldn't affect me much. Now if I couldn't hike anymore, that would be a tragedy.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I might hunt for that info. graphic tonight, so you Bron bois will put some respect on his name. Iirc it was against the Mavs.

I found it
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Not just sports, but life. I think there are studies that show that when people refer to the good old days it's usually their high school or college years.

On sports, I think there was a study that showed most people form their sports team allegiances when they are around 12 or 13 years old. I guess that means Giannis is the most popular player among middle school kids.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Max Kellerman is a boxing analyst .

Lebron is nothing like Magic nor Michael. For one, Magic shot like 90% on his free throws. Lebron is marginally better than Shaquille I’m that regard, and cannot be counted on to make them in the clutch. Second, Magic elevated the entire team in terms of field goal percentage, teammates had career years. I remember an info. graphic in the ‘88 or ‘89 playoffs which listed James Worthy and Kurt Rambis as the #1 and #2 in career field goal percentage during the playoffs in league history. I cannot name a single teammate whom has had a career year with Lebron, just about every teammate has had career years elsewhere. Do not need to talk about Michael, I already mentioned the clutch aspect. He also didn’t need to join his olympic teammates to win a championship. He won with the guys he molded in practice.

I recognize Lebron’s strengths and weaknesses as a basketball player, I don’t resort to cheap comparisons.

Max's comparisons, while objectively sound, were only cheapened by your commentary. It's a shame people can't just get behind Lebron and embrace the team on the court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: