Rotation Player Grades at the All Star Break

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Rotation Player Grades at the All Star Break

YMMV. "Situational Grade" is how they're doing in their specific roles.

LeBron - 25.8 PPG 7.8 RPG 10.8 APG
GRADE: A
SITUATIONAL GRADE: A
Shooting is down and FT% is awful, but he's playing acceptable D and leading the league in dimes.

AD - 26.6 PPG 9.2 RPG 3.3 APG 1.6 SPG 2.4 BPG
GRADE: A
Leading the team in scoring, but not imposing his will or asserting himself offensively like I expected. On the other end, playing at a DPOY level.

DH39 - 7.8 PPG 7.8 RPG 1.3 BPG
GRADE: B (limited by minutes)
SITUATIONAL GRADE: A+
For the money, we cannot ask any more. Shows hard on screens, smothers drives, erases mistakes and - on the other end - dunks everything in the paint.

KCP - 9.5 PPG 2.1 RPG 1.7 APG
GRADE: B
Leads the team in 3-pt%, but more importantly he contributes on D when his shot isn't falling. No one can complain about his (current) contract.

JaVale - 7.2 PPG 5.8 RPG 1.6 BPG
GRADE: B (limited by minutes)
SITUATIONAL GRADE: A+
Surprisingly nimble and deft on offense - if both feet are in the paint, he'll score. Not quite the defensive anchor that DH39 is, but a great rim protector.

CaruShow - 5.5 PPG 1.9 RPG 1.7 APG
SITUATIONAL GRADE: B
A spark off the bench - high motor and hard nosed on D. He shouldn't be this good on D . . . and he should be better than he is on O.

Avery Bradley - 8.5 PPG 2.2 RPG 1.2 APG
SITUATIONAL GRADE: B-
Ascending curve. Heady bulldog on D. His (lack of) O was killing us early, but his last 10 games have been great. If we get that performance for the rest of the year, the grade will continue to rise.

Danny Green - 8.6 PPG 3.5 RPG 1.3 APG 1.2 SPG
SITUATIONAL GRADE: C
Moves like he has a groin pull or is wearing 20# ankle weights. Has surprisingly missed more defensive assignments than expected, but usually plays sound D. With the looks he's getting, he should be in the high 40s in 3-pt %, but he's not . . . and that's a problem.

Rajon Rondo - 7.8 PPG 3.3 RPG 5.3 APG
GRADE: C
Gets crushed on LG, but he generally gives a good effort for 12-15 minutes . . . but he plays 21 minutes and can have some awful stretches.

Kyle Kuzma - 12.6 PPG 4.4 RPG 1.3 APG
GRADE: C
SITUATIONAL GRADE: F
Numbers are consistent with his career averages. Has not added to or improved his game (missed a summer of work due to injury). Definitely can score, but only has a positive impact every 3rd or 4th game. Otherwise he's either being a bonehead or he's invisible.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I would change McGee to a situational B, Caruso to an A (for what his contract is, we are getting a lot) and Kuzma IMO does not deserve a situational F. He has a cheap contract and has had some very big games (Think Houston, OKC wins without AD or Lebron or both). I would give him a C-.

Considering role and contracts for me (so far, still a lot of season left)

Lebron A- (I think he can play at another gear that he has not shown consistently)
AD A
Green B-
Bradley B
McGee B

Dwight A
Kuzma C
KCP B+
Caruso A
Rondo C

Daniels B-
Cook C
Dudley B
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I would change McGee to a situational B, Caruso to an A (for what his contract is, we are getting a lot) and Kuzma IMO does not deserve a situational F. He has a cheap contract and has had some very big games (Think Houston, OKC wins without AD or Lebron or both). I would give him a C-.

I may have a recency bias with Kuz . . . I'll split the difference at D+.

I love AC, but I'm not seeing an "A." If he takes more of Rondo's minutes or gets into the finishing lineups, I'll reconsider.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject:

You're a generous grader
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
You're a generous grader

The team is 41-12 . . . only the Bucks have a better record. The team's overall grade has to be an A . . .
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

I think we’re saving energy of Green, Rando and Howard for the playoffs
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Considering role and contracts for me (so far, still a lot of season left)

Lebron A- (I think he can play at another gear that he has not shown consistently)
AD A
Green B-
Bradley B
McGee B

Dwight A
Kuzma C
KCP B+
Caruso A
Rondo C

Daniels B-
Cook C
Dudley B

Like your revised grades.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rotation Player Grades at the All Star Break

Dr. Laker wrote:

I like your grades, except that I think you're a little too hard on Kuzma. He doesn't deserve a situational F. Also, I don't know that Caruso deserves a base grade of B. He does merit a situational B.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rotation Player Grades at the All Star Break

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I like your grades, except that I think you're a little too hard on Kuzma. He doesn't deserve a situational F. Also, I don't know that Caruso deserves a base grade of B. He does merit a situational B.

Kuz has shown willingness to create shots for others, rebound and play D lately. He is a reasonably fine bench guy to go along with KCP, Caruso and DH. I give him a C+.

Disappointed with LeBronze lazy passing and noticeable mental lapses. Yeah, he's a force, he's terrific... but he is not always sharp (his FT Shooting is horrible.)

KCP has been this season's surprise. B.

While Dudley is a bench plus guy because of his vet attitude, having him and Cook and Daniels isn't very helpful. These deep bench guys get a C- overall.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

pretty terrible grading imo, it's all about expectation (how much they are paid) vs performance.

The only ones that are below expections and failing grade is danny green.
rondo barely passed, everyone else is at or above expectation
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
pretty terrible grading imo, it's all about expectation (how much they are paid) vs performance.

So because Dudley barely gets paid to be a cheerleader/victory cigar, he gets an A+? I think you need to factor minutes played and "market value/opportunity cost"...i.e., could you replace this player with someone better in a trade? Did you turn down trades to keep this player? Did you give up a lot of assets to get this player (and what was your ROI?)?

Here's what i got:

LeBron A (would be an A+ if he showed up against the Clippers or Bucks)
AD A- (has almost completely disappeared in most big games thus far)
KCP B+
Bradley B+
Green B-
Dwight A-
McGee B-
Kuzma D (honestly, wanted to give him an F here since he hasn't done (bleep) most of the year and often is an actual detriment to the team)
Caruso B+ (if he improves his shooting, he gets into A/A- territory)
Rondo C-
Daniels/Cook/Dudley (not even worth grading since they almost never play significant minutes - Cook looks like he can shoot, Daniels looks petrified whenever he steps on the court, and Dudley is basically an enforcer/mascot at this point)
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
maomao wrote:

So because Dudley barely gets paid to be a cheerleader/victory cigar, he gets an A+? I think you need to factor minutes played and "market value/opportunity cost"...i.e., could you replace this player with someone better in a trade? Did you turn down trades to keep this player? Did you give up a lot of assets to get this player (and what was your ROI?)?

Here's what i got:

KCP B+
Bradley B+
Green B-
Dwight A-
McGee B-
Kuzma D (honestly, wanted to give him an F here since he hasn't done (bleep) most of the year and often is an actual detriment to the team)
Rondo C-
Daniels/Cook/Dudley (not even worth grading since they almost never play significant minutes - Cook looks like he can shoot, Daniels looks petrified whenever he steps on the court, and Dudley is basically an enforcer/mascot at this point)

instead of letter grading, I'll stick with overachive/average/underachieve or the same as above/same as/below expectation

I'd say the overachievers are dwight and caruso, the lone underachiever is danny green, the rest are average.

in other words, there is no way danny green gets a better grade than any laker, your gradings are terrible if that's what you have
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
maomao wrote:

Here's what i got:

KCP B+
Bradley B+
Green B-
Dwight A-
McGee B-
Rondo C-

instead of letter grading, I'll stick with overachive/average/underachieve or the same as above/same as/below expectation

I'd say the overachievers are dwight and caruso, the lone underachiever is danny green, the rest are average.

in other words, there is no way danny green gets a better grade than any laker, your gradings are terrible if that's what you have

And yet, Danny Green should be better, but he's not bad.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
maomao wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
maomao wrote:

Here's what i got:

KCP B+
Bradley B+
Green B-
Dwight A-
McGee B-
Rondo C-

And yet, Danny Green should be better, but he's not bad.

Then no laker is bad as everyone else is at least where they should be or better. In other words, Danny green has the worst grade
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Lebron: A
Davis: A
Green: C - He hasn't been consistent with his shooting. He can shoot better than he's shown. Imo he's been outplayed by KCP.
Bradley: B - Defense has been good but he's foul prone. Three point shot finally coming around.
McGee: B- I feel like Dwight should be starting over him but he has played okay.
Kuzma: D+ His defense has improved but he's been a bonehead too often and far too inconsistent. Disappointed in him. Every time it looks like he's ready to turn the corner he relapses into stink mode.
Howard: A- I think Dwight has given all that he can give this season. He's far exceeded expectations. He's not the player he used to be but I love his effort and he's been the sparkplug off the bench that Kuzma has failed to be.
Caruso: B+ Not on talent but on often and impact. When things are going poorly I'm happy to see him in the game because he tends to make big defensive plays that can turn the tide. Has improved his shooting.
KCP: B+ After a slow start he's really turned it on. Much improved shooting, consistently good defense. He's outplayed Green this season.
Rondo: C Too inconsistent. When he's bad he hurts us. He's had some good games though where he's had a big positive impact. I'd like to see a little less Rondo and a little more Caruso.
Daniels: C His jump shot hasn't been quite as good as you would expect, but he can be a spark plug. About what I expected.
Cook: D He's been a big disappointment. He seems like a good teammate on the bench but he hasn't seemed to fit.
Dudley: C+ Limited minutes but I think he's played the role you expect from him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rotation Player Grades at the All Star Break

Dr. Laker wrote:

Danny Green - 8.6 PPG 3.5 RPG 1.3 APG 1.2 SPG
Moves like he has a groin pull or is wearing 20# ankle weights. Has surprisingly missed more defensive assignments than expected, but usually plays sound D. With the looks he's getting, he should be in the high 40s in 3-pt %, but he's not . . . and that's a problem.

I describe him as having the running gait of a 70-year-old tennis player.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

Lebron A
I don't think there's anything more he could be doing for this team.

AD A-
Fantastic defensively, not always as dominant on the other end as I'd hoped.

Green C+
Disappointing so far. I guess we just have to hope he turns it on for the playoffs as he has throughout his career, but it's looking more likely that he's simply done.

Bradley B
Up and down, but the injury threw him off for some time. He's regained form recently, and will be an important part going forward.

McGee B
Always there with some energy, although Dwight is the more effective center.

Dwight A-
From the most unlikable Laker ever to someone who genuinely gives it his all every night. It's a joy to watch him.

Kuzma C
The biggest disappointment of the season so far. He has 40 games to try and get to the next level, and that could very well be the difference between a ring and a playoffs flameout.

KCP B
Has shown guts and character after the early season disaster. Some solid play on both ends.

Caruso B+
The Bald Mamba is the cult hero we need. Just wish his playmaking skills were a little better, but he otherwise gives you everything you need in an occasionally game-changing bench option.

Rondo C
Aside from the Kuzma situation, our other big problem is Rondo. He's simply not good enough to be the ballhandler on a championship team.

Daniels B-
Cook B-
Dudley B-
Can't hate on any of these guys. They've not had the minutes to play consistently well, but each has shown something valuable.

Vogel A-
He's done a great job in difficult circumstances. Coming in at a time when Laker stock was at an all-time low, he's steadied the ship despite a limited roster, kept them together through the Kobe disaster, and has made the right moves on the court most of the time. A few headscratchers recently, primarily in his overuse of Rondo, but he seems to be one who excels at learning as he goes.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
maomao wrote:

Here's what i got:

KCP B+
Bradley B+
Green B-
Dwight A-
McGee B-
Rondo C-

If you think Kuzma is doing better than Danny Green by any measure, not sure what games you've been watching.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

I think Kuzma is unfairly graded because his role changes every night it seems depending on which starter is playing well. Sometimes it’s score. Then rebound. Then defend. I get extremely frustrated at his games but I also see how he gets lost and presses. Danny Green, Rondo, Bradley are vets and have had several clunkers this season. Kuz is in that group....But he’s also electric when he’s aggressive. I wish we could find him a group to play with that he would excel. He’s a great weapon to have.

Longtime LG lurker.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
epic_ wrote:
You're a generous grader

The team is 41-12 . . . only the Bucks have a better record. The team's overall grade has to be an A . . .

So many people seem to forget this. Apparently perfection is the goal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
epic_ wrote:
You're a generous grader

So many people seem to forget this. Apparently perfection is the goal.

Not really. We're not on the same grading curve as, say, Memphis. The Grizzlies don't have two superstars on the roster, but they have a winning record at the all-star break (28-26) with mostly kids and have a shot at making the playoffs (though I have read that they have a tough schedule down the stretch). As of today, Memphis gets a solid A.

No one grades us that way. We have Lebron and Davis, and the front office spent a bunch of money on veterans to complement them. If we were 28-26, the grade would be a hard F. As it stands, given that we have been relatively healthy (which is our Achilles heel), I'd give the team a B+. The record is good, but we have not done so well against the opponents that matter.

By the way, speaking of injuries, here is the report from Man-Games Lost up to the all-star break: Link. The size of the bubble for each team is an indication of the impact of the injuries based on Win Shares. So far, we're doing remarkably well.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

C- or D+ for Kuz sounds about right. I think D Green deserves about the same grade as Kuz tho.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

C- or D+ for Kuz sounds about right. I think D Green deserves about the same grade as Kuz tho.

Danny green is the bigger scam of the two.

I'm basing it on production per salary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: