LOAD MANAGEMENT (for LeBron)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

If we had a reliable PNR point guard, I think we could give LeBron the rest he needs in games. Rondo is supposed to be that, but we all know how his unwillingness to shoot or make passes that don't result in assists hurts the flow of the offense. As others have mentioned, I think it's best to buckle down after the break and try to lock down the #1 seed before we consider resting LeBron or AD down the stretch.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Vogs, manage his minutes from here on out and try capping it at 30mpg please. Thank you.

I don't think Lebron playing 30 or 34 minutes a game will really have a major impact on his freshness come playoff time.

At his age, Lebron needs to take a week or more to get his legs back. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen.

Best bet is to find 2 games he could miss that would give him a week off.

Missing March 30th/April 1st back to back would do that. Same with April 7th and 9th games.

That would give him 2 weeks off with only missing 4 games - 3 against bad teams. You can then find 2-3 more games to sit him.

How about we show extra precaution and lower those minutes to 30mpg while also having him in street clothes for some games a few weeks out from the postseason? Haha.

Either way, we look at it, a healthy Bron with extra springy legs when Spring comes only helps better our chances at bling.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

before kobe had that nasty injury the lakers were on a 10-1 push for the playoffs and he was averaging 40 mpg.. I don't think it was coincidence.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Vogs, manage his minutes from here on out and try capping it at 30mpg please. Thank you.

I don't think Lebron playing 30 or 34 minutes a game will really have a major impact on his freshness come playoff time.

At his age, Lebron needs to take a week or more to get his legs back. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen.

Missing March 30th/April 1st back to back would do that. Same with April 7th and 9th games.

That would give him 2 weeks off with only missing 4 games - 3 against bad teams. You can then find 2-3 more games to sit him.

You have to understand ... people want Vogel to do specifically what THEY want! Haha.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

You have to understand ... people want Vogel to do specifically what THEY want! Haha.

Oh you all about the smoke, huh ring? And here I thought, you out of all folks was all about the ring.

You have to understand...people are full of hot air if they believe a 35 y/o 17 seasoned vet can keep chugging along without hitting a wall.

Or did you already forget when LeEngine that could activated "playoff mode" last year on a torn groin?

Why you so eager to derail our title hopes my dude?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

How about he skips the meaningless ASG week to rest his body and mind.

What is more important... the media hype responsibilities, social events, the practices and game or the championship chances?

Doesn't truly "need" to do anything but rest and get treatment until next Friday.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject:

what Vogel needs to do better at is in game management. We will be up by 20 with 5 minutes left in the game and Lebron is still in the game.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't care if we get 8th seed. As long as we get to the playoffs, that's all that matters. Lebron being Lebron he just doesn't like to load manage. Go figures. I mean as long as we win the championship, I would have no problem with him dictating his load. But if we don't win the ring this year, then he's gonna have to listen to management about load managing.

I mean this year we're already so far ahead in the playoff race that Lebron could just play every other game the rest of the way and we would still very comfortably make the playoffs. How about we sit Lebron against sub .500 teams and only play him against above .500 teams? He probably would never agree to it so Rob and Frank gotta convince him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Let the FO, Vogel, Lebron and AD do what they want. But if someone goes down with an injury, no excuses.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
How about he skips the meaningless ASG week to rest his body and mind.

What is more important... the media hype responsibilities, social events, the practices and game or the championship chances?

Doesn't truly "need" to do anything but rest and get treatment until next Friday.

Seeing what happened to Dame (thankfully it appears to be only a grade 1 groin strain) and now George, we need to appease to the bball gods for blessing us with overall good health. Magic already offered himself up as a blood sacrifice to the gods haha, so lets not test our good fortune too much.

I would totally be in favor of Bron bypassing ASW, but I don't think its great optics with him being a team capt, being there for his guy AD's homecoming and repping the occasions as the defacto torchbearer to Kob's passing.

I would like to see him honor the volunteer NBA cares events and maybe give a couple quotables to the media, before ducking them, catching a fine (who cares), bunkering down in his hotel room, plugging in the portable hyperbaric chamber, hitting the ice machine and loading up the tub for an ice bath and just Netflix'n and chill'n till the game starts. But no funny business Bron...can't afford another groin injury.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I've never seen Lebron still this fresh in the middle of the season. Usually he's so tired that he needed the all star break to re energized. But not this season, he's load managing in-game quite well. He show a glimpse of how he will play in the playoffs yesterday against the nuggets.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

That would give him 2 weeks off with only missing 4 games
- 3 against bad teams. You can then find 2-3 more games to sit him.

Bingo
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Oh you all about the smoke, huh ring? And here I thought, you out of all folks was all about the ring.

You have to understand...people are full of hot air if they believe a 35 y/o 17 seasoned vet can keep chugging along without hitting a wall.

Or did you already forget when LeEngine that could activated "playoff mode" last year on a torn groin?

Why you so eager to derail our title hopes my dude?

Doing anything other than what you want does not equal derailing title hopes.

We have like 29 games to go with a 5 gm cushion on Denver. We can also work to lock up the #1 seed and give Lebron most of April off entirely. Denver has 27 games left to make up 4 games.

If Denver keeps winning at their current pace, they will finish 19-8, which means we only need to finish 16-13 to retain the #1 (yes I know other teams are possible just using Denver since they are #2).

I’m trying to maintain the #1 seeding because a) that gives us a more favorable path in the playoffs and b) that is more likely to include some added rest in the playoffs between the early rounds. Our whole team is healthy right now, so now is the time to widen the gap. Then we rest.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

After LMLA pointed out the upcoming calendar to me, my comments have been mostly tongue in cheek.

But I’m just being overly cautious with Bron. It begins and ends with that dude. I want his legs extra froggy in Spring. I’m sure most of y’all do too.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

That would give him 2 weeks off with only missing 4 games
- 3 against bad teams. You can then find 2-3 more games to sit him.

Bingo

Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject:

One great thing for the ASW is he doesn't need to push himself, rather he just pass the ball and don't play any defense. Thankfully we don't play until next Friday, which means he will get another 5 days off, and from the Nuggets game last Wed, he will get 4 days before playing in the AS game. So I think this is fine.

In terms of him lowering his mins or taking games off, I agree that on those b2b, he can take some of those games off, and once we really solidify our #1 seed, we can really rest both him and AD for another 3 or 4 games which will really help us in the playoffs

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Interesting info about the importance of home court advantage for Lebron's past teams. Sounds like a rested Bron is more important than home court:

In the eight consecutive seasons during which James went to the Finals, James’ teams held home-court advantage twice. The Miami Heat lost in 2011 despite having it, then won in 2012 without it. They won in 2013 with it and lost in 2014 without it.

While in Cleveland, James’ teams never had home-court advantage in the Finals. They went 1-3 against the Warriors during that time.

Perhaps more relevant is what happens in the conference. The Cavaliers were the fourth seed in the East in the 2017-18 season, second in 2016-17, the top seed in 2015-16 when they won the title and No. 2 in 2014-15. It never stopped them from making the Finals.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-02-13/lebron-james-knows-why-lakers-not-worried-about-playoff-seeding
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I find it hard to put much importance in James stats from 3,5,8 years ago.

The man is not the same “in his prime James” . He is 35 yrs old and will be at 60K career mpg by the end of this season. He also had better roster balance and consistent wing defense on previous teams to take some pressure off.

This team, this season needs HCA. And I still have doubts he can dig deep enough to find the type of “playoff James” the Lakers will need to win a championship. I hope otherwise but he will need to prove it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

LeBron had a long offseason, is averaging a career low in mpg, and the schedule in April is soft and local (only leave Cali for a game in Phoenix). With a 5+ loss lead on the field with 29 games to go, I expect James is going to have plenty of time to prep for the postseason.

There was so much change from last season, having LeBron be an everyday player has helped the team to galvanize and grow in their execution. The alternative would have made it harder for guys to grow into their roles.

So far, I think they’re handling it perfectly, but should probably look for rest opportunities in the last couple weeks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I've been preaching load management for some time. I want Vogel to take a page from the book of Rivers and Popovich, rest Bron and AD. Popovich went so far in a game after Orlando as to send his big three Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green home on Southwest Airlines (commercial) rather than have them travel to Miami to play the Heat. The league fined the team $250,000.

LeBron Raymone James Sr. is not Clark Kent. He can't open his shirt display a S be faster than a speeding bullet and leap tall buildings in a single bound. Bron is 35 years of age. You can't fool Mother Nature. In the first half he plays lights out charging the rim and dunking. The second he's 2 steps slower and walking the ball up the court.

We have 29 games left They are regular season games. The playoffs and finals are different animals. Teams left are the best of the best and playing harder because the prize is in sight.

Home court advantage is not as important as a healthy Bron and AD. Resting them will have benefits three fold. It'll give the squad valuable playing time, rest the main ingredients and possibly save Vogels job.

We have a lock on the season. We're 6 games ahead of the pack with 29 left. Time to think playoffs and finals. IMO load management is the right path,.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Where are you getting “6 games ahead of the pack”?
Lakers are up 4 on the Nuggets, 5 on the Clips, 5.5 on the Jazz.

Not disagreeing that they have a distinct advantage and an opportunity to rest some players some nights. But they don’t have as insurmountable a lead as you think. A couple of teams go 8-2 while the Lakers go 5-5 and it gets tight real quick. The Lakers have been incredibly lucky this season with injuries. Part of the reason they have the cushion.

Can’t take HCA for granted. IMO they need to keep racking up wins until they have HCA locked up. Then they can rest the last 2,3,4 games of the season before the playoffs.

Last thing James and the Lakers want to do is squander the advantage and be stuck in a 1st round battle in 4/5 matchup.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Clippers are still by far the biggest threat against for the #1 seed.

Denver still has Raptors x2, Bucks, Clippers x2, Lakers, Jazz x2, Heat, Mavs x2, Thunder x3. Let us just assume they 9-5 in those games, which would be impressive. That puts them at 22 losses, without dropping any other games to decent teams - they play the Spurs x2, Blazers, Kings, Griz still.

Jazz also have a touch schedule. Celtics x2, Lakers x2, Nuggets x2 , Clippers, Raptors, Rockets, Thunder x2, Mavs. Assume they go 8-4, that would put them at 22 losses. They too play a bunch of decent teams - Spurs x3, Portland, NO.

More than likely the Jazz and Denver finish with 24+ losses.

The Clippers have an easy schedule - I can see them only losing 5 or so games the rest of the season.

For the Lakers to feel good about the #1 seed, we have to go 5-5 in our 10 games against (Jazz x2, Clippers x2, Denver, 76ers, Bucks, Raptors, Rockets, Celtics). If we go say 3-7, we could be in trouble, though it would also show we might not be serious contenders then anyway.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Clippers are still by far the biggest threat against for the #1 seed.

Denver still has Raptors x2, Bucks, Clippers x2, Lakers, Jazz x2, Heat, Mavs x2, Thunder x3. Let us just assume they 9-5 in those games, which would be impressive. That puts them at 22 losses, without dropping any other games to decent teams - they play the Spurs x2, Blazers, Kings, Griz still.

Jazz also have a touch schedule. Celtics x2, Lakers x2, Nuggets x2 , Clippers, Raptors, Rockets, Thunder x2, Mavs. Assume they go 8-4, that would put them at 22 losses. They too play a bunch of decent teams - Spurs x3, Portland, NO.

More than likely the Jazz and Denver finish with 24+ losses.

The Clippers have an easy schedule - I can see them only losing 5 or so games the rest of the season.

For the Lakers to feel good about the #1 seed, we have to go 5-5 in our 10 games against (Jazz x2, Clippers x2, Denver, 76ers, Bucks, Raptors, Rockets, Celtics). If we go say 3-7, we could be in trouble, though it would also show we might not be serious contenders then anyway.

We are both just speculating and playing with the numbers. We can not predict a bad night against a team they “are supposed to beat” especially on a load manage game by James or Davis. Also does it account for the chance of an injury that sidelines a player for a week or so.

Bottom line is they have a nice lead with 29 games left. They can’t get overconfident and assume wins. They have to keep playing and earn them. Sorry but James and Davis need to keep playing. Along with the rest of the team.

Lakers have to be ready mentally and physically to take everyone’s best shot coming down the stretch. Every team has a reason to beat the Lakers and James. Playoff positioning, playoff spot or simply the glory of getting their “best win of the season”. Lakers have to match that every night. Just a part of the game.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Where are you getting “6 games ahead of the pack”?
Lakers are up 4 on the Nuggets, 5 on the Clips, 5.5 on the Jazz.

I'd guess they are referring to the loss column vs. the Clippers specifically. While the Lakers are only up 4 games on the Nuggets, they own the tie breaker vs. them and have 5 fewer losses. They won't have the tie breaker against the Clippers but have 6 fewer losses. Jazz tie breaker is still to be determined but also a 6 loss difference.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

I say play him more minutes...he's fat from eating all those french toasts.

Bron was not fatigued when he had the groin last year.

Rest is not a guarantee you won't get injured. Same as playing more minutes won't guarantee you getting injured.

In the contrary muscles only get bigger with increased load and bones get more dense when stress is applied.

We should go all out and get the no.1 seed.

Getting Memphis in the first round and sweeping them is 3 less games to be played vs dropping to 2nd seed against Dallas.

Clippers are more scary if they got Morris Sr. at the start of the season and Kawhi playing regularly because they will have cohesion.

It's obvious they don't have it right now. Clips with a healthy Paul George will own the West.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: