Favorite Kobe Title Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Kobe Title Team?
1999-2000 (Beat Pacers)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
2000-2001 (Beat 76ers)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
2001-2002 (Beat Nets)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2008-2009 (beat Magic)
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
2009-2010 (beat Celtics)
55%
 55%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 47

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

It's always good to have the last word. And Kobe had the last word with the Celts of all teams.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Shoutout to LD2K for the GOAT highlight video https://vimeo.com/1036542

where is the HD version?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I picked 2009 because that run represents for me, the climb all the way back from the bottom.

But my favorite was the 2001 run. Kobe had that smoke for EVERYBODY. He went ham and cheese on the Queens, and had the Spurs damn near in tears. They couldn't do a DAMN thing with him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Kobe Title Team

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I wanted to honor Kobe's legacy and here is one fun way. What is your favorite Kobe title team? I think all of them had a distinct and fun character to them all. Of course having a prime Shaq was just ridiculous. But personally, for me, was Kobe's final one against the Celtics. It just captured everything about him, especially losing against them in 2008. They clawed their way to winning that series and even though Kobe went 6-24 in game 7 of the 2010 Finals, he grabbed 15 rebounds and found a way to win that game. How about you?

1. 1999-2000 (Shaq/Kobe/Rice, top 3 scorers, win over Indy in Finals)
2. 2000-2001 (Shaq/Kobe/Fisher, win over 76ers in Finals)
3. 2001-2002 (Shaq/Kobe/Fisher, win over Nets in Finals)
4. 2008-2009 (Kobe/Pau/Bynum, win over Magic in Finals)
5. 2009-2010 (Kobe/Pau/Bynum, win over CELTICS in Finals).

My favorite title team on your list was the middle threepeat one that went through the playoffs like a steamroller. Such a fun team to watch.

But if you’re being Kobe–centric, he stood out more personally on the later ring teams. So if it’s more about Kobe than the team per se, I’d go with the one that beat the Celtics.

Yeah, that 15-1 team was like Freddy Krueger or some sh**
Probably never felt more pride as a fan of the Purple and Gold than I did that summer. Shaq was in such great shape and just could not be guarded, really. Kobe was lean, quick, powerful and agile.
Just an incredible squad

I just remember Shaq being a relentless beast. I recall Anthony Davis of the Pacers bouncing off him like a small kid.

I don't really have any distinctive memories of the other four ring teams, but that one stuck with me for some reason.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Shaq in his prime made whoever the second best center was in the league at the time look like a D-leaguer.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject:

“One more than Shaq!”

Nuff said.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

The 2009 team has more than the threepeat teams combined??? Da fuq????
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
“One more than Shaq!”

Nuff said.

Looks straight into the camera with Vanessa and Gigi by his side holding up five fingers

"That's five, five of em!"
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I was tempted to say 2009 vs the Magic. 1st ring without Shaq. But you know what? Buck Foston.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The 2009 team has more than the threepeat teams combined??? Da fuq????

Probably because the focus of this thread is Kobe rather than the team itself.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I was 7-9 years old during the three-peat teams. The most memorable series for me by far was against the Sacramento Kings in 2002.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject:

We didn't win that year but the 08-09 team was my favorite Laker team. No one expected us to make the playoffs and we after we got gasoline I thought what a great ending would it be had we won it all.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
1999-2000, it stopped a decade of no titles and showed that the investment in Shaq was brilliant.

I have to admit that came to a close 2nd to the 2009-2010 win over the Celtics because I remember when the Lakers were down in the 4th against Portland and I was like

"crap a decade of waiting, Phil Jackson, Shaq, Kobe and we still can't win!"

And the rest was history..it was great as you described it.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
We didn't win that year but the 08-09 team was my favorite Laker team. No one expected us to make the playoffs and we after we got gasoline I thought what a great ending would it be had we won it all.

Game 4. 2nd half....Fu**!!😡
If we hang on to that TWENTY point 3rd quarter lead then I think we would’ve won the whole thing. Damnit.
Probably the worst I’d ever felt as a fan
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject:

2008-09.

Validation.

First. it was a really close group of guys with a lot of character. Lamar, Pau, Trev, Fish, Luke, they were really tight. Drew was also playing through injuries and put the team first.

Second. The way the team played was just fun to watch. There was Kobe, who was incredible. A superstar. I think that Kobe was the one who had figured it all out. How to lead. How to do it both with the ball, but also with his mind. He and Phil had reached a place that they both were so in sync. But then the ball movement. The way they would utilize the different strengths of the team.

Third. The FO, mainly Mitch and Dr Buss had taken a lot of heat. I defended both, because at the time I thought the hate was not warranted. Mitch had done some good things since taking over and patience was a virtue. The patience Mitch showed was finally starting to pay dividends. Nice to see they got it.

Fourth. The Shaq trade. I never once made a big deal out of it, but it bugged the (bleep) out of me that the media would talk (bleep) about Dr Buss and the Lakers, and also Kobe not being able to win now that they traded Shaq. Him winning in Miami was really hard to take. I was definitely upset with Kobe at the time for the way (at the time) I thought he turned his back on Dr Buss (who had only supported Kobe through everything he went through, even the Shaq fued Denver etc). So I was definitely more on the happy for Dr Buss card than Kobe proving he can win without card. Years later I just realized that Kobe was the ultimate competitor. He had that burst, meltdown or whatever you wanna call it because it was eating him alive that he could not have a roster that is ready to win a title.

I got it, Kobe. I get it Kobe. I miss you. Thanks so much for the memories. Even now the 2008-09 season gives me nothing but great feelings. I watch Pau Gasol talk about Kobe the other day. It was amazing. I could feel it watching them on the court. That 2008-09 team was not the most talented team. But they clicked. They maximized each other out. That is in large part because Bean was able to do that for himself and others around him.

The love, the brotherhood between Pau, Kobe, LO, Fish, Luke and those guys on the 2008-09 team was legit. You could sense it when they played there. Again, a team with Luke and Fish as part of your top 6 players is not going to be a very talented team when you compared it to championship level teams. But they got it done. My favorite championship team, for sure. Without question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MrLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Beating the Celtics in 2010 was sweet but the 2009 team was my favorite Kobe's team, plus he dominated in the finals...just an amazing performance. It's a shame Lebron's Cavs couldn't take out the Magic because a Cavs v. Lakers matchup that year would have been epic.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

MrLaker wrote:
Beating the Celtics in 2010 was sweet but the 2009 team was my favorite Kobe's team, plus he dominated in the finals...just an amazing performance. It's a shame Lebron's Cavs couldn't take out the Magic because a Cavs v. Lakers matchup that year would have been epic.

Yeah, man. I really wanted Kobe vs Bron that year.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Beating the Celtics was the most gratifying but, the 2008-09 team, with Ariza, was my favorite.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
1.) 2000

horry, ac green, brian shaw, phil jackson, chick hearn, jerry buss, jerry west + lots of personal life nostalgia attached to that year + pre 9/11 simpler times

2.) 2009

pau, ariza, phil's triumphant return

The 09 team is still my fav laker team of all time. That team was on a mission and they all took on Kobe’s personality
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Kobe Title Team

For me it's 2000 or 2010, probably equally.

2000 was great because that team had been put together for years and hadn't been able to get past Utah. When they fell down big to Portland in game 7 it seemed like they were about to self destruct again. You kind of felt that once they got over that hump they would reel off multiple titles so it was great to see it come to fruition.

2010 was big too because of the thumping the Celtics gave them two years before, and how much they over celebrated during it. It comes down to game 7 and Kobe is struggling all game and they need to come back in the fourth against that same Celtics team. You had Gasol outplay Garnett, Kobe come up with big rebounds, and MWP hit a big shot. And Kobe gets his second title without Shaq.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: