DeMarcus Cousins to be Waived - will remain with Lakers (Eligible to return for Playoffs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Hey. All you Pelinka haters. Give the man credit for having the stones to make the right move. Everyone here, including me thought that it would be Troy, which in hindsight made Zero sense.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

I have a suspicion that dude took one for the team. It’s smarter not to rush back and he knew there was a possibility he would take up someone’s spot on the playoff roster in his attempt to come back this year.

On the “all the smoke” pod he recorded over allstar he mentioned how the squad moved as a unit. So I would like to think dude was trying to (bleep) up one of his teammate’s bag or their opportunity here.

He literally took one for the team and the way he’s moving (being on out bench with Laker gear) after he got the news he was waived (Haynes reported that they talked about it the day before Kieff’s buyout) kinda shows that he was part of the decision process and is good with it.

I really hope he comes back tho! When he does get waived tomorrow, if he clears waivers till Tuesday and no other team picks him up, he then can sign with us this summer (a possible 1+1 w/player option) and that gives him built in veto power to block any trade next season. If he opts out, we’ll have his early bird rights in 2021. If he opts in and makes it to the summer of 2022 as our free agent, then we hold his full bird rights and can offer him up to 35% of the salary cap. I’m not saying we hand him that type of bag, but I do hope we can take care of dude if he proves he can come back and still produce at a high enough level.

I’m rooting for you Boog!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure it was an agreement. DMC will continue his rehab and re-sign with the Lakers for next season. If it's true and Kieff is pure upgrade, give Pelinka a cookie.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Hey. All you Pelinka haters. Give the man credit for having the stones to make the right move. Everyone here, including me thought that it would be Troy, which in hindsight made Zero sense.

Don’t do that bro!

I can’t speak for anyone, but I’ve been critical of Rob and for good (bleep) reason. Folks want to minimize it as the FO is good now that Magic is gone. That’s false imo. Magic could still be here and we could still be killing the regular season...and that’s all because of our star duo. The FO would still need to answer for trashing our cap space and future assets.

Magic or no Magic....Rob as GM or Rob as VPoBO...doesn’t matter! Our FO needs help and that’s clear. They need more proven execs up there to help Rob/Jesse/Rambii/whomever. That’s not hating, that’s (bleep) facts bro!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I have a suspicion that dude took one for the team. It’s smarter not to rush back and he knew there was a possibility he would take up someone’s spot on the playoff roster in his attempt to come back this year.

I doubt that had anything to do with it. If Boog could have gotten back in time for the playoffs, he would have happily taken a roster spot. He doesn't have control over how fast his body heals, and returning this year was always a long shot.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

The fact he's still basically with the team after getting the news tells me that there's definitely some kind of agreement in place. He'll be on the squad next year without doubt IMO, for the minimum

Good on DMC for taking it well, and bravo to Rob for handling the situation well while also making an upgrade
#18 next...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Don’t do that bro!

I can’t speak for anyone, but I’ve been critical of Rob and for good (bleep) reason. Folks want to minimize it as the FO is good now that Magic is gone. That’s false imo. Magic could still be here and we could still be killing the regular season...and that’s all because of our star duo. The FO would still need to answer for trashing our cap space and future assets.

Magic or no Magic....Rob as GM or Rob as VPoBO...doesn’t matter! Our FO needs help and that’s clear. They need more proven execs up there to help Rob/Jesse/Rambii/whomever. That’s not hating, that’s (bleep) facts bro!

I’m just saying give credit where credit is due. We may not get Morris, but it was the right move to move on from Cousins this season. Yes he can still rehab and work out with the Lakers. Yes, they would probably offer him a ring and take a look at him next season. But it’s still the right move. And I feel the front office and Pelinka deserve credit here.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Don’t do that bro!

I’m just saying give credit where credit is due. We may not get Morris, but it was the right move to move on from Cousins this season. Yes he can still rehab and work out with the Lakers. Yes, they would probably offer him a ring and take a look at him next season. But it’s still the right move. And I feel the front office and Pelinka deserve credit here.

Everyone is entitled to their feelings...but just some food for thought.

1. Rob stood by Boogie when he had that legal stuff before the season.

2. Rob stood by Boogie and paid him to rehab.

3. Rob made sure he remained a part of the team and traveled with everyone.

4. Rob talked with him and I'm sure LBJ and AD prior to the prospective move.

5. Rob wants him to continue to rehab with us.

It's insane/irresponsible to ask a player coming off a torn Achilles, torn Quad, and now torn ACL to come back faster than anyone has in sports history to play in the most demanding part of the season.

ACLs take 1 to 1.5 years to recover from. This dude is damn near 30. He wasn't playing for us this year. And if by some miracle he attempted to he only set himself up for another injury...

You guys are worried if another team is going to add an injured player to their roster and piss that player off so he has to move to rehab for the final 2 months of the season?

Come on...this is the right move...it was handled the right way...and Boogie is returning the loyalty shown him.

Now if Harkless gets released and wants to sign here...then that gets sticky.

Rob has done an outstanding job. All is quiet in Lakerland...we're in 1st place...and if Kuz could ever get his hair on straight we might have something.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
I'm trying to get him on the bench with the players. The best way to do that is to give him some trumped up title.

If they sign him to a two-way, he can't be on the bench unless he's called up. Definitely a possibility.

all right, make him an assistant coach then?

It feels like there's gotta be some obscure CBA rule against this.

Not obscure, that would be flat out circumventing the CBA.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Don’t do that bro!

It's insane/irresponsible to ask a player coming off a torn Achilles, torn Quad, and now torn ACL to come back faster than anyone has in sports history to play in the most demanding part of the season.

ACLs take 1 to 1.5 years to recover from. This dude is damn near 30. He wasn't playing for us this year. And if by some miracle he attempted to he only set himself up for another injury...

You guys are worried if another team is going to add an injured player to their roster and piss that player off so he has to move to rehab for the final 2 months of the season?

Come on...this is the right move...it was handled the right way...and Boogie is returning the loyalty shown him.

Rob has done an outstanding job. All is quiet in Lakerland...we're in 1st place...and if Kuz could ever get his hair on straight we might have something.

Great post.
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Don’t do that bro!

This is an amazing perspective, thank you.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

What one calls stones others call basic common sense.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

What one calls stones others call basic common sense.

What one calls bird in the hand others call flippin’ the bird.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

aFFie wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Don’t do that bro!

This is an amazing perspective, thank you.

Post of the year. Thank you. It was the right move and no one should question that at all. Nothing but class from the Lakers organization to Cousins.
Bravo Pelinka. Bravo Lakers!
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

Why not waive Dudley instead??
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

Simple answer, because Dudley can play now. Cousins is a wasted roster spot and is not coming back to play this year. Why keep him when he’s still rehabbing and not playing? Lakers made the right choice.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Simple answer, because Dudley can play now. Cousins is a wasted roster spot and is not coming back to play this year. Why keep him when he’s still rehabbing and not playing? Lakers made the right choice.

This, I don't understand who thinks that it was a bad movement. We added a useful player in exchange for a player that is not going to play this year.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

Get healthy
Come back next season
Everyone wins
We are trying to win now
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

I'm betting Rob said... You got your money, keeping hanging with us at games, rehab on our dime at our facilities... And get ready to roll with us next year!
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

For the same reason Dudley played last nite and Boogie didn't.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

This, I don't understand who thinks that it was a bad movement. We added a useful player in exchange for a player that is not going to play this year.

This
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
The fact he's still basically with the team after getting the news tells me that there's definitely some kind of agreement in place. He'll be on the squad next year without doubt IMO, for the minimum

Good on DMC for taking it well, and bravo to Rob for handling the situation well while also making an upgrade

Im pretty sure there's a 1 year limit before you can resign with a team that waived you.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Im pretty sure there's a 1 year limit before you can resign with a team that waived you.

nope
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

I dont get why people act like Dudley is dead weight. He's a 40% 3pt career shooting stretch 4 who is shooting almost 50% on the year from 3, savy vet player, amazing locker room presence, and can play the 5 in the pinch. I really fault Vogel for not finding a way to get him some minutes.
There's a number of players I'd cut before him.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

I dont get why people act like Dudley is dead weight. He's a 40% 3pt career shooting stretch 4 who is shooting almost 50% on the year from 3, savy vet player, amazing locker room presence, and can play the 5 in the pinch. I really fault Vogel for not finding a way to get him some minutes.
There's a number of players I'd cut before him.

Dudley is the best at coming in cold and knock down an open 3 in our team, no need to warm up
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: