DeMarcus Cousins to be Waived - will remain with Lakers (Eligible to return for Playoffs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Remaining with Lakers, does that mean he can still travel with the team?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
The fact he's still basically with the team after getting the news tells me that there's definitely some kind of agreement in place. He'll be on the squad next year without doubt IMO, for the minimum

Good on DMC for taking it well, and bravo to Rob for handling the situation well while also making an upgrade

Im pretty sure there's a 1 year limit before you can resign with a team that waived you.

If you are traded and then waived, you can’t sign with the team that traded you for a year.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

If Cousins signs with the Lakers next year, they would have his early bird rights and one year closer to his full bird rights.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

@EricPincus is it possible if the lakers see boogie doing well they can re-sign him for the playoff?

EricPincus: Yes

https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/1231337566034481152

This move is looking better and better
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
@EricPincus is it possible if the lakers see boogie doing well they can re-sign him for the playoff?

WOW! We have ourselves a AWESOME GM!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Hey. All you Pelinka haters. Give the man credit for having the stones to make the right move. Everyone here, including me thought that it would be Troy, which in hindsight made Zero sense.

Don’t do that bro!

I can’t speak for anyone, but I’ve been critical of Rob and for good (bleep) reason. Folks want to minimize it as the FO is good now that Magic is gone. That’s false imo. Magic could still be here and we could still be killing the regular season...and that’s all because of our star duo. The FO would still need to answer for trashing our cap space and future assets.

Magic or no Magic....Rob as GM or Rob as VPoBO...doesn’t matter! Our FO needs help and that’s clear. They need more proven execs up there to help Rob/Jesse/Rambii/whomever. That’s not hating, that’s (bleep) facts bro!

I’m just saying give credit where credit is due. We may not get Morris, but it was the right move to move on from Cousins this season. Yes he can still rehab and work out with the Lakers. Yes, they would probably offer him a ring and take a look at him next season. But it’s still the right move. And I feel the front office and Pelinka deserve credit here.

Everyone is entitled to their feelings...but just some food for thought.

1. Rob stood by Boogie when he had that legal stuff before the season.

2. Rob stood by Boogie and paid him to rehab.

3. Rob made sure he remained a part of the team and traveled with everyone.

4. Rob talked with him and I'm sure LBJ and AD prior to the prospective move.

5. Rob wants him to continue to rehab with us.

It's insane/irresponsible to ask a player coming off a torn Achilles, torn Quad, and now torn ACL to come back faster than anyone has in sports history to play in the most demanding part of the season.

ACLs take 1 to 1.5 years to recover from. This dude is damn near 30. He wasn't playing for us this year. And if by some miracle he attempted to he only set himself up for another injury...

You guys are worried if another team is going to add an injured player to their roster and piss that player off so he has to move to rehab for the final 2 months of the season?

Come on...this is the right move...it was handled the right way...and Boogie is returning the loyalty shown him.

Now if Harkless gets released and wants to sign here...then that gets sticky.

Rob has done an outstanding job. All is quiet in Lakerland...we're in 1st place...and if Kuz could ever get his hair on straight we might have something.

All good points, but maybe you giving Rob just a lil too much credit.

Maybe Boog chose to hang on the bench and roll with the unit on away games, because it was his choice and Rob ain’t going to tell another grown ass man to do it. Maybe he rehabbed extra hard and pushed to come back this year to honor his contract. Maybe he knew how tight the unit was and said, I’ll just eliminate the outside chance I can make it back by the Wcf/Finals so that one of the other guys can take his spot on the playoff roster and not get cut as a result. Maybe he went to the FO and told them that he should get cut in order to spare one of his guys from getting the boot. I mean how do we know he didn’t do all that behind the scenes. It can’t be all Rob...it’s a 2 way street. Maybe Boog should get a lil credit too.

Btw, maybe...actually not maybe, actually Judy Seto and the med staff deserve some credit too for keeping this veteran squad largely healthy over the year. But I guess we can credit Rob some for hiring them.

Let me make this clear again. I’m not saying Rob doesn’t deserve credit when he accomplishes what a competent exec would. What I’m saying is that maybe the guy needs some more competent execs to rub shoulders with him up top.

Before Kieff sprang loose, the fact we got 4 players on this roster that warrant waivers for an upgrade kind of says as much. Then you look at means to upgrade and our assets stay bare, which is why we need to rely on buyout candidates so much (thx Dwight, Av and Kieff...coulda added Iggy too if Memphis wasn’t so stubborn). Again that tells at least me, our FO needs to address certain deficiencies.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Say what, that how you do calculated move.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Could be a win for all those involved. Cousins now doesnt have the pressure to rush back (when he wouldnt be ready) and can take a full summer to continue to rehab. From his ACL injury to next season is about 14 months.

No reason why he cant at least get back to where he was last year for GS during the regular season putting up 16/8 in limited minutes.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Say Cousins was ready to come back and McGee went on IR. Could we sign Cousins without releasing someone else?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Pureshot77 wrote:
Say Cousins was ready to come back and McGee went on IR. Could we sign Cousins without releasing someone else?

no.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject:

DMC has to be realistic about his health and can't be mad, which I don't think he is. That is why he's staying with the team. If completely healthy next year, could be a bargain like a Derek Rose type resurgence.
kevin_405
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject:

How is that possible NBA rules say waived players cannot resign with same team.

drae wrote:

All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
Why not waive Dudley instead??

I dont get why people act like Dudley is dead weight. He's a 40% 3pt career shooting stretch 4 who is shooting almost 50% on the year from 3, savy vet player, amazing locker room presence, and can play the 5 in the pinch. I really fault Vogel for not finding a way to get him some minutes.
There's a number of players I'd cut before him.

Dudley is the best at coming in cold and knock down an open 3 in our team, no need to warm up

My bad.

I guess I didn’t realize he’s averaging 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 assist while shooting 41% from the field. There’s no way we should let him go. Is he eligible for the SuperMax?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

Can somebody confirm whether we could actually sign back cousins for the playoffs? Let’s say his rehab kills it and he is fully ready by the wcf - is it because he was waived before March 1st that we can resign him or do we have to wait a year?

Because if we have that optionality and cousins still gets his money it was actually a genius move by rob and espn should be reporting that
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject:

You cannot trade a player, have him waived by that team and then resign him back. The rule was changed because teams would use a player's salary slot to trade for another player knowing the other team would buy them out and then they could rejoin the team. Essentially getting a free player from the other team while said team saved salary. It was to correct a loop hole. I don't recall when they put that in place, perhaps about 8-10 years back.

As far as I know, there isn't anything preventing you from cutting/waiving a player and resigning them again if no one claims them. Think about all of the last minute roster cuts in the preseason, then a player gets hurt and the team brings them back aftewards.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
drae wrote:

B-b-b-but Pelinka doesn't know the rules
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
la4win wrote:
drae wrote:

B-b-b-but Pelinka doesn't know the rules

is this true? Bard207?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

As long as the waiver doesn’t come off a trade (see potential buyout of Harkless blocked from going back to cLips), you can resign the player and even regain his bird rights depending on years of service with the team. We can resign Boog either before April 15th (last day of season) or during the summer, we regain his bird rights (non going to early bird in summer of ‘21).

That being said, whoever potentially gets cut for Boog must be on waivers before March 1st, otherwise they get denied access to a playoff roster.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
As long as the waiver doesn’t come off a trade (see potential buyout of Harkless blocked from going back to cLips), you can resign the player and even regain his bird rights depending on years of service with the team. We can resign Boog either before April 15th (last day of season) or during the summer, we regain his bird rights (non going to early bird in summer of ‘21).

That being said, whoever potentially gets cut for Boog must be on waivers before March 1st, otherwise they get denied access to a playoff roster.

Yeah, so unless one of our player gets injured during next week for the rest of the season or there is no chance that we resign Cousins this year.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Yeah, so unless one of our player gets injured during next week for the rest of the season or there is no chance that we resign Cousins this year.

We can resign him during FA.

Boogie is done for the season. There never was a fantasy land where he was playing an NBA game this season. We kept him under contract to show support and pay him to rehab so we can have the inside track on him in FA...IF we liked his attitude and believed his rehab was going well. Essentially we did the right thing by a player to have the right of 1st refusal and show the league how we treat players.

Keeping Boogie, knowing he wasnt playing this year, was about the future

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Hey. All you Pelinka haters. Give the man credit for having the stones to make the right move. Everyone here, including me thought that it would be Troy, which in hindsight made Zero sense.

Don’t do that bro!

I can’t speak for anyone, but I’ve been critical of Rob and for good (bleep) reason. Folks want to minimize it as the FO is good now that Magic is gone. That’s false imo. Magic could still be here and we could still be killing the regular season...and that’s all because of our star duo. The FO would still need to answer for trashing our cap space and future assets.

Magic or no Magic....Rob as GM or Rob as VPoBO...doesn’t matter! Our FO needs help and that’s clear. They need more proven execs up there to help Rob/Jesse/Rambii/whomever. That’s not hating, that’s (bleep) facts bro!

I’m just saying give credit where credit is due. We may not get Morris, but it was the right move to move on from Cousins this season. Yes he can still rehab and work out with the Lakers. Yes, they would probably offer him a ring and take a look at him next season. But it’s still the right move. And I feel the front office and Pelinka deserve credit here.

Everyone is entitled to their feelings...but just some food for thought.

1. Rob stood by Boogie when he had that legal stuff before the season.

2. Rob stood by Boogie and paid him to rehab.

3. Rob made sure he remained a part of the team and traveled with everyone.

4. Rob talked with him and I'm sure LBJ and AD prior to the prospective move.

5. Rob wants him to continue to rehab with us.

It's insane/irresponsible to ask a player coming off a torn Achilles, torn Quad, and now torn ACL to come back faster than anyone has in sports history to play in the most demanding part of the season.

ACLs take 1 to 1.5 years to recover from. This dude is damn near 30. He wasn't playing for us this year. And if by some miracle he attempted to he only set himself up for another injury...

You guys are worried if another team is going to add an injured player to their roster and piss that player off so he has to move to rehab for the final 2 months of the season?

Come on...this is the right move...it was handled the right way...and Boogie is returning the loyalty shown him.

Now if Harkless gets released and wants to sign here...then that gets sticky.

Rob has done an outstanding job. All is quiet in Lakerland...we're in 1st place...and if Kuz could ever get his hair on straight we might have something.

All good points, but maybe you giving Rob just a lil too much credit.

Maybe Boog chose to hang on the bench and roll with the unit on away games, because it was his choice and Rob ain’t going to tell another grown ass man to do it. Maybe he rehabbed extra hard and pushed to come back this year to honor his contract. Maybe he knew how tight the unit was and said, I’ll just eliminate the outside chance I can make it back by the Wcf/Finals so that one of the other guys can take his spot on the playoff roster and not get cut as a result. Maybe he went to the FO and told them that he should get cut in order to spare one of his guys from getting the boot. I mean how do we know he didn’t do all that behind the scenes. It can’t be all Rob...it’s a 2 way street. Maybe Boog should get a lil credit too.

Btw, maybe...actually not maybe, actually Judy Seto and the med staff deserve some credit too for keeping this veteran squad largely healthy over the year. But I guess we can credit Rob some for hiring them.

Let me make this clear again. I’m not saying Rob doesn’t deserve credit when he accomplishes what a competent exec would. What I’m saying is that maybe the guy needs some more competent execs to rub shoulders with him up top.

Before Kieff sprang loose, the fact we got 4 players on this roster that warrant waivers for an upgrade kind of says as much. Then you look at means to upgrade and our assets stay bare, which is why we need to rely on buyout candidates so much (thx Dwight, Av and Kieff...coulda added Iggy too if Memphis wasn’t so stubborn). Again that tells at least me, our FO needs to address certain deficiencies.

Boogie could have been cut upon injury to free up another space...it was a 1 year contract.

Wasnt

Boogie could have been cut when the voicemail surfaced followed by charges.

Wasnt

Those are GM decisions.

I'm sure Rob had already communicated with Boogie that he would be the first contract to go if they needed a roster spot. I'm sure Boogie, AD, LBJ agreed with this.

That's a GM being in partnership with his players...a sign of competency.

I'm perfectly ok with you feeling Rob is failing at his job. I'm perfectly ok with people believing the Earth is flat. That's your freedom to remain as disconnected from objectivity as you like.

Facts are that in his first season as GM and now VPoBO we have the best record in the West by quite a few games and a legit shot at the title. The ultimate measurement of a GM are wins and losses...going by Rob's he's objectively performing wonderfully.

The 2nd measurement is his ability to sustain winning...we'll objectively see how he does this offseason with AD and roster construction.

If you dont like him that's cool...if you let feelings and beliefs cloud your objectivity, that aint.

Just sayin'.

Go ahead and take the last word...I've spoken

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Could be a win for all those involved. Cousins now doesnt have the pressure to rush back (when he wouldnt be ready) and can take a full summer to continue to rehab. From his ACL injury to next season is about 14 months.

No reason why he cant at least get back to where he was last year for GS during the regular season putting up 16/8 in limited minutes.

And where he was last year for GS wasn’t good. Not worth a roster spot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Can somebody confirm whether we could actually sign back cousins for the playoffs? Let’s say his rehab kills it and he is fully ready by the wcf - is it because he was waived before March 1st that we can resign him or do we have to wait a year?

Because if we have that optionality and cousins still gets his money it was actually a genius move by rob and espn should be reporting that

It was a genius movie to waive a player who can’t play? Pretty low bar for genius.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

I dont get why people act like Dudley is dead weight. He's a 40% 3pt career shooting stretch 4 who is shooting almost 50% on the year from 3, savy vet player, amazing locker room presence, and can play the 5 in the pinch. I really fault Vogel for not finding a way to get him some minutes.

Dudley is the best at coming in cold and knock down an open 3 in our team, no need to warm up

My bad.

I guess I didn’t realize he’s averaging 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 assist while shooting 41% from the field. There’s no way we should let him go. Is he eligible for the SuperMax?

apparently 1 > 0 and Lakers retain Boogie's bird right this summer (to be fair, I just found out about that... but Dudley is our irritant)
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

My bad.

Its no fault of his own Vogel has failed to utilize him. He clearly is a useful player to have in the fold and someone who could be out performing Kuzma in so many games this year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: