10-Man Playoff Rotation - Who's the Odd Man Out?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: 10-Man Playoff Rotation - Who's the Odd Man Out?

Vogel just two weeks ago against Phoenix spoke about intending to keep using a 10-man rotation, as Lakers head into the playoffs. With Markieff Morris now a Laker, who will be the odd man out of Vogel's 10-man rotation?

Starters:
- C: McGee
- PF: Davis
- SF: LeBron
- SG: Green
- PG: Bradley

Bench:
- C: Dwight
- PF: Markieff
- SF: Kuzma
- SG: Pope
- PG: Rondo

It looks like Alex Caruso might be the odd man out on Vogel's new 10-man rotation?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

I think McGee's minutes go down.
And Alex still gets minutes because AD will play more Center minutes.
But obviously, it could depend on matchups. If we play a team like Denver that has a big center, we could see D39/McGee getting more center minutes as opposed to playing a team like Houston, which means less minutes for a guard/wing.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

We'll use an 11 man rotation up until the playoffs. The minutes of McGee, Rondo and Caruso all probably go down somewhat, maybe even AD and LeBron's minutes to rest them a bit ready for the playoffs

When the playoffs come, I'm really not sure. Rondo will be used less as LBJ's ball-handling minutes increase but other than that I can't tell, Vogel isn't giving away too much
#18 next...
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

Didn't Lakers have a game just recently this month where Rondo was playing well which made Vogel use a 9 man rotation instead and didn't play Caruso or like gave him only 4 mins or something?

So Caruso has already been the odd man out from just a 9 man rotation.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Matchup dependent, but my closing lineup is

KCP
Green or Caruso
Kuzma or Morris
Lebron
AD

Caruso and Morris depending on how Green and Kuzma are performing.

Rondo should not be closing games because he doesn’t command attention with respect to his shot and his defense isn’t good enough. How many minutes he gets first 3+ quarters will depend on him being playoff Rondo vs. washed up, disengaged Rondo.

Dwight will probably get some increased minutes against Jokic and Goebert.

Based on his comments, Vogel knows that Caruso is a big part of the best lineups, so hopefully he uses it to the team’s advantage in the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

If AC is the odd man out we don't deserve to win the ring. That would be some asininity.

McGee/Dwight's minutes will go down. But at guard, I would like to see Rondo only play one 5 minute shift a game, with AC playing 22-23mpg.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 10-Man Playoff Rotation - Who's the Odd Man Out?

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Vogel just two weeks ago against Phoenix spoke about intending to keep using a 10-man rotation, as Lakers head into the playoffs. With Markieff Morris now a Laker, who will be the odd man out of Vogel's 10-man rotation?

Starters:
- C: McGee
- PF: Davis
- SF: LeBron
- SG: Green
- PG: Bradley

Bench:
- C: Dwight
- PF: Markieff
- SF: Kuzma
- SG: Pope
- PG: Rondo

It looks like Alex Caruso might be the odd man out on Vogel's new 10-man rotation?

When he said that two weeks ago Morris wasn't on the team, so I wouldn't consider that carved in stone.

Wouldn't surprise me to see 5 or 6 guys in the standard rotation, and the rest varied depending on the matchup.

I think the positions will more fluid that the way you are laying it at with 5 specific starters and 5 specific backups for each position.

That said, Caruso does seem likely to lose minutes, since he bounces around from playing 25 minutes in some games and 5 minutes in other. If they use Morris as a small-ball center, JaVale could rack up some DNP-CDs

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

Rondo is getting AC's minutes in the postseason unfortunately.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Yeah defense and grit matters in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if AC's minutes go down.

I'm not sold on Kuz as a championship caliber heavy rotation player at the 3. But we'll see, I'd love it if his wing defense surprises me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

This is how we will lose the playoffs.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Yeah defense and grit matters in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if AC's minutes go down.

I'm not sold on Kuz as a championship caliber heavy rotation player at the 3. But we'll see, I'd love it if his wing defense surprises me.

I mean his length seemed to work on Tatum during the 4th quarter yesterday, so I have faith. Hopefully his impact can be somewhat consistent
#18 next...
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

This is how we will lose the playoffs.

Yeah I'm much more comfortable with Bron playing 40 mins as the primary ball handler and Caruso getting the other 8 (with AD on the floor at the same time)

Despite that, if Rondo continues to play like he did last night, I'll be happy if he gets playoff minutes, but he'll need to show that kind of form most nights, not just once every 10-15 games
#18 next...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If AC is the odd man out we don't deserve to win the ring. That would be some asininity.

McGee/Dwight's minutes will go down. But at guard, I would like to see Rondo only play one 5 minute shift a game, with AC playing 22-23mpg.

You're not paying attention....yesterday big game...pretty much needed this win...Rondo 22 minutes...AC 8 minutes....that's not changing anytime soon...the guy that should see his minutes go down is Green who does absolutely nothing.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Kuz. He's too big of a liability on defense and the glass. Good teams pick on him the way they picked on Curry and IT in the past.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You're not paying attention....yesterday big game...pretty much needed this win...Rondo 22 minutes...AC 8 minutes....that's not changing anytime soon...the guy that should see his minutes go down is Green who does absolutely nothing.

So other games where we lost against top teams where Rondo disappeared (and most of this season) don't matter but a game against his old team (and CP3) matter?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So other games where we lost against top teams where Rondo disappeared (and most of this season) don't matter but a game against his old team (and CP3) matter?

Come on...everyone knows we needed to beat a top team in the east...after losses to Mil, Phil, Tor and Boston...I'm not a Rondo fan either but take your bias out...he's been playing better as of late...and the truth is Vogel will keep playing him because he likes him...I hope he finds time for AC but I hope it comes at Greens expense...KCP, AC, Bradley have all been playing better than him. Green without a doubt needs to be traded in the off season...his salary eats up way too much of the cap for what he brings.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Caruso has the highest +/- of any player next to Lebron. AC should exclusively play with Lebron.

Rondo and Lebron should not be on the court at the same time in the playoffs. When Lebron's minutes go up in the playoffs, I see AC next to him or Bradley or Green depending on who is playing well offensively, the matchup.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Come on...everyone knows we needed to beat a top team in the east...after losses to Mil, Phil, Tor and Boston...I'm not a Rondo fan either but take your bias out...he's been playing better as of late...and the truth is Vogel will keep playing him because he likes him...I hope he finds time for AC but I hope it comes at Greens expense...KCP, AC, Bradley have all been playing better than him. Green without a doubt needs to be traded in the off season...his salary eats up way too much of the cap for what he brings.

This is not biased, it's based on objective measures and the clear difference Caruso makes compared to Rondo. Rondo has routinely stewarded the 2nd unit where leads just die. I get that he can dribble and pass, but his defense is simply atrocious and he assist hunts too much. Oh and the numbers back me up. The bias is actually more towards folks who support Rondo.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This is not biased, it's based on objective measures and the clear difference Caruso makes compared to Rondo. Rondo has routinely stewarded the 2nd unit where leads just die. I get that he can dribble and pass, but his defense is simply atrocious and he assist hunts too much. Oh and the numbers back me up. The bias is actually more towards folks who support Rondo.

Fair enough...but in the end Vogel is the coach...he likes Rondo...so he's going to keep playing. Good thing he likes AC too....both will play...i'm hoping Green sits.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Good thing he likes AC too....both will play...i'm hoping Green sits.

But this is the problem. In the playoffs, the minutes will shrink for backup PG. And the numbers clearly show LBJ/Rondo is not a good pairing (and it's not LBJ's fault there).

So what exactly do we need him out there for? With Caruso, you get hard nosed defense. One will be playing at the expense of the other.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Good thing he likes AC too....both will play...i'm hoping Green sits.

But this is the problem. In the playoffs, the minutes will shrink for backup PG. And the numbers clearly show LBJ/Rondo is not a good pairing (and it's not LBJ's fault there).

So what exactly do we need him out there for? With Caruso, you get hard nosed defense. One will be playing at the expense of the other.

My hope is that since AC does more things than Green...He can defend just as well...shooting about the same...and AC is a much better passer and gets in the lane periodically. AC and Rondo can both play with KCP (who can defend the 3, did a decent job on Tatum) or Kuz at the 3. Bron can take a breather at this point and then sub in for Rondo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I just hate how we often get a lead, 2nd unit with Rondo at point comes and the lead evaporates, and then an exasperated LBJ has to rebuild it all over again. It shouldn't have to be like that game after game.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma's minutes will be reduced until he shows he can consistently contribute on both ends.

LBJ
AD
Green
Dwight
McGee
Bradley
KCP
Caruso
Rondo
Morris

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
Kuzma's minutes will be reduced until he shows he can consistently contribute on both ends.

LBJ
AD
Green
Dwight
McGee
Bradley
KCP
Caruso
Rondo
Morris

Kuz isn't going to be out of the rotation. The Lakers need his size on defense at the back up 3.

At the moment I probably value his contributions equal to Green? Green has been good on defense against guards but Caruso can do that job, so can KCP, so can Bradley. But he was awful yesterday and his 3 point shooting is a concern.

Kuz has been asked to body up on PFs and has done an okay job. Did a good job on Tatum, did a good job on Kawhi. We need that body on the defense alongside Morris
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

LBJ
AD
Green
Dwight
McGee
Bradley
KCP
Caruso
Rondo
Morris

Fine....what about Green?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: