OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The problem with projecting that far out is that our key guy is 35 and theirs is 28.

28 AND injury prone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The problem with projecting that far out is that our key guy is 35 and theirs is 28.

28 AND injury prone.

Injury prone isn’t what you think it is. AD is injury prone, Kawhi manages a physical defect. Kawhi still plays lock down defense, Lebron tries to look active on defense. Seven years of age makes a huge difference.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

28 AND injury prone.

Injury prone isn’t what you think it is. AD is injury prone, Kawhi manages a physical defect. Kawhi still plays lock down defense, Lebron tries to look active on defense. Seven years of age makes a huge difference.

So do defects
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

Kawhi is a monster.

But does he project to be someone who will have the longevity and durability of LBJ?

Heck, does Kawhi look like he can climb the deep playoff mountain year after year until he turns 30?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

But does he project to be someone who will have the longevity and durability of LBJ?

Heck, does Kawhi look like he can climb the deep playoff mountain year after year until he turns 30?

Imo he will be a monster until age 32-33 but you will start seeing the decline in a couple of years.

I don’t see him being as good as Lebron has been 33-present.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Not getting a Kawhi was a big blow, but from Doc’s words directly, the Lakers being in play motivated them to give up one of the the biggest trade hauls in NBA history for George. Losing Morris was far less significant, but reports of the Lakers entertaining Kuzma plus Green (something I doubt was actually in play) surely strengthened NY’s bargaining position with the Clips. Harkless, who is a quality wing, Robinson, who was a 2018 lottery pick, a 2020 1st, swap rights on a 2021 1st, and a 2021 2nd from Detroit was not a small cost.

The Clips have three 1st round picks over the next seven years, all of them with swap rights held by other teams. They have Kawhi, George, Montrezl, Lou and Morris coming due in free agency by the end of next season at the latest. League revenue isn’t growing as quickly as projected and the next TV deal may not be spectacular. One can’t ignore Kawhi’s injury issues either.

The Clips are legit title contenders, maybe even co-favorites with Milwaukee given health. But it’s a house of cards for sure.

This is a grounded take and I appreciate it.

No team is perfectly assembled and the cLips have their own set of problems, but when you look at the collection of assets, it’s hard to ignore how our FO threw them away vs theirs.

Blake brought back assets. Tobias brought back assets. Meanwhile we renounced our assets and met them walk for nothing WHEN THEY WAS RESTRICTED...wtf! We waived trivial cap holds if young players to secure 1-2m in extra cap space...wow. We dumped assets via trade prematurely and have nothing to show for it other than paying Green/Kcp/Boog/Cook more...yikes!

The market is going to be less than stellar this summer, so the forecast looks for S&Tszn again and with that the cLips have Trez and Mook as assets now. Shamet, Lou and even Zu (not a terrible contract for a young big) are assets. Their future pick control is bare now, but guess what, so is ours.

The only solace is that we can keep our 2020 pick, possibly our 2021 or 2022 pick, our 2023 pick (once swapped) and possibly either our 2024 or 2025 pick and our 2026. So at a minimum in that 6 year window we have 5 picks (that can get traded AFTER the draft concludes and not as future picks depending on how Nawlins chooses to play it). Meanwhile during that same 6 year window, the cLips only have their 2021 (swap), 2023 (swap) and 2025 (swap) picks. We’ll have two more 1sts to help grease deals with. But that’s the thing...we need to explore deals instead of keep them being that both franchises are in win-now mode. Clearing all that cap for Bro ln to bring AD on board is great for setting up the future since AD is young, but that doesn’t mean we should just waste this current duo’s potential. We got to exploit them for titles right the (bleep) now!

The restricted asset you are talking about is a guy nobody wants. Nobody was trying to trade for Randle last season at the deadline and only a desperate team like the Knicks even stepped up to kind of pay him. Randle isn't an asset like Harris and Blake Griffin were.

If you look at how Bron moves in free agency, he normally partners up and nearly everybody assumed it would happen again in 2018.

Jules was restricted and in the same vein that DLo got traded in a S&t as a restricted free agent, we’ve should have been just as icy in doing that with Jules. Instead we played nicey and allowed dude to be an unrestricted free agent by renouncing his rights....and we lost him for nothing.

At the very least, Jules can bring back future heavily protected 1sts or multiple 2nds. We didn’t even get that. Essentially we renounced a 12.4m caphold and used 9m of that newly opened up cap to sign Rondo, with Jules going the other way and signing the MLE of 8.6m with the Pels. We had Jules’s bird rights and could have given him a 1yr jumbo deal to pair him with Bron (after Pauline ghosted us) and have him become an unrestricted free agent in 2019. Also since Mintz/Jules didn’t seem to value those bird rights by asking to be renounced by us and let go, we could have entered talks with the Pels in a S&t that still gets him paid more than the MLE, has him sent to Nawlins for Rondo and we bring back another asset in that transaction.

Consider this...if Jules/Mintz was so adamant in wanting to leave LA, well tough, cause you’re restricted. If he refused to sign the qualifying offer of 5.6m, then he remains in limbo for the 2018/19 season and remains a restricted free agent in 2019, where we can hold him captive again if they remain playing hardball with us.

We gifted Jules/Mintz unrestricted free agency and I still understand why we did that. We should have had ice in our veins and did to him what the Nets did with DLo/Mintz in conducting a S&t to at least bring some assets back and not lose the 2014 7th overall pick for nothing.

But as we continuously have seen with this FO (whether it’s Magic or Rob in pole position), they are pretty poor in asset management.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

Imo he will be a monster until age 32-33 but you will start seeing the decline in a couple of years.

In retrospect, SGA/Gallo/6-7 picks or pick swaps might be better than PG13. Could have used Gallo plus picks to get someone AND keep SGA.

The health of PG13/KL will be their biggest obstacle.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Rob has done a great job. He should be a candidate for Executive of the Year. Since Jon Horst won it last year this could be Rob's year.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

In retrospect, SGA/Gallo/6-7 picks or pick swaps might be better than PG13. Could have used Gallo plus picks to get someone AND keep SGA.

The health of PG13/KL will be their biggest obstacle.

Yeah completely agree. Health of PG13 has been pretty up and down tbh.

Losing SGA was the big one to me. I think SGA and Kawhi would have done major damage. I get why they needed to trade for PG, but imo I think we may find out that they would be better off just getting Kawhi and rolling with what they had in assets.

But if Kawhi said PG or I don’t come, I guess they had no choice which could work out great for us.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kudos to Rob.

Watching his speech. You can clearly see next to Vanessa, Kobes children, Kobes parents, sister .. Rob is next family. In fact one could argue that Kobe was closest to Vanessa and then Rob. So this is probably so hard on Rob and has been like losing family in a tragedy to him. Not just family, but family you are close with on a day to day basis with.

While holding one of the toughest most demanding jobs in pro sports. I have to admit, I am a much bigger Pelinka supporter now than I was before. He has always had my support since he is a Laker, but there is no doubt in my mind now that I want this to work out for him, because Kobe believed in him so much. Magic tried to railroad his FA and his summer. Yet somehow Rob managed to stay calm and make some moves that got the Lakers into contention.

Rob for Exec of the year.

co-sign
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

Rob hater chiming in again: exec of the year resides in Milwaukee. Avoided the luxury tax to keep his small market owner happy, while still fielding a ridiculously balanced roster where their 25 y/o barely plays 30mins per (the lowest since his rookie campaign) and doesn’t have a fellow superstar partner to lean during the season of star duos.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Rob hater chiming in again: exec of the year resides in Milwaukee. Avoided the luxury tax to keep his small market owner happy, while still fielding a ridiculously balanced roster where their 25 y/o barely plays 30mins per (the lowest since his rookie campaign) and doesn’t have a fellow superstar partner to lean during the season of star duos.

The bucks have done a great job.
But I would think the Coach would get consideration for COY instead of the exec getting EOY.

The executive decisions seem to be getting Wes Matthews and re-signing guys. I don't know if re-signing guys usually gets the pub. Another great decision is sign-and-trading Malcom. But again, I'm not sure if letting a player go gets pub for EOY. This makes me lean more towards Bud getting a shot at COY instead of Horst getting EOY.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Unless not having a guy like Brogdon is their downfall in the playoffs.

Middleton is putting up some pretty damn impressive numbers for a "non-superstar."
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

Epic: Bud is definitely COY...I agree with you completely on that one. But execs need to field a good team while meeting their bottomline of being profitable. That’s a pretty tall order for a small market team like Milwaukee.

SMT: Middleton is balling and he’s an allstar...but when it comes to “names” in the NBA, I doubt he makes top 20, particularly in a year where most of the all stars are redshirted (ie KD, Klay, Curry, etc).
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kudos to Rob.

Watching his speech. You can clearly see next to Vanessa, Kobes children, Kobes parents, sister .. Rob is next family. In fact one could argue that Kobe was closest to Vanessa and then Rob. So this is probably so hard on Rob and has been like losing family in a tragedy to him. Not just family, but family you are close with on a day to day basis with.

While holding one of the toughest most demanding jobs in pro sports. I have to admit, I am a much bigger Pelinka supporter now than I was before. He has always had my support since he is a Laker, but there is no doubt in my mind now that I want this to work out for him, because Kobe believed in him so much. Magic tried to railroad his FA and his summer. Yet somehow Rob managed to stay calm and make some moves that got the Lakers into contention.

Rob for Exec of the year

I'm all onboard for this. He might have lingered a bit too long in the Kawhi hunt for some people's tastes (mine included), but once the die was cast for the Clips he pivoted hard and fast and built a solid roster.

He signed Green at a decent, market-competitive price ($15M when Dallas was offering $13M). This was probably the key signing for us, because even if Green is up-and-down with his shooting, he has a solid rep as a 3-and-D guy, and gave us at least one starter-level, gravity-generating shooter to balance the Big 2.

Re-signing McGee at a reasonable rate was necessary to keep AD happy and to extend his time with us, so again a smart move. I grumbled at the re-signing of KCP because we overpaid him for YEARS, but the rate was reasonable and he has been steadier than he's ever been since his Detroit days.

Daniels is turning out to be a redundancy, but getting playoff experience on the cheap in Cook could still pay dividends. Signing AC to a legit contract not only helps with the fans, but also shows faith in our G-League pipeline (which is a good long-term investment) and gives continuity and insurance for an overhauled roster.

Rondo is Rondo (ugh), but signing him and then Cousins on the cheap was a good, AD-recruitment package. Smart call.

But Rob on the freaking buyout market has been our ace in the hole, much like our draft scouting team was in the lean/ anorexic years. Bradley is someone I've wanted us to get for years, and after the first couple months of injury and acclimation, he's been nearly everything we could ask - decent outside shooter, solid midrange, and 1st line of defense. If Vogel can get him to do more of the P&R action he showed off in Memphis and Boston, then look out.

Dwight was a reach after Boogie's ridiculously bad injury luck continued, but a dang good one. Rob took the risk, and it's paying off. I was not thrilled, but figured if he turned into a Ben Wallace with 8 and 8 and 1.5 blk, we'd have a gem. And holy crap, he's a gem, complete with a solid attitude and a better sense of leadership and camaraderie. Sorry I was wrong, glad I turned out to be wrong.

And Markieff? Addition without actual subtraction, allowing Cousins to still be around the team to rehab and not miss out too much, while adding what we all hoped Cousins would eventually bring - a little muscle, a little shooting, and a bench scoring option in the post. Plus, he gives us an actual small-ball center that won't be rooted in the post like Dwight (not a knock, he just isn't a spread the floor guy) and someone who can rough it up a bit more than AD can at this stage. Allowing Kuz to be able to play more 3 on both ends might pay more dividends than people realize.

And Rob is doing this under some of the heaviest emotional duress imaginable?

Props to Rob. Exec of the Year IMO, for sure.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

IMO, the teams that are up for EOY for now:

Lakers
Clippers
Rockets

Outside shot if they go on a tear the rest of the way:

OKC
Celtics
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Consider this...if Jules/Mintz was so adamant in wanting to leave LA, well tough, cause you’re restricted. If he refused to sign the qualifying offer of 5.6m, then he remains in limbo for the 2018/19 season and remains a restricted free agent in 2019, where we can hold him captive again if they remain playing hardball with us.

What's to stop Jules from doing exactly what the #6 pick Marcus Smart did, and refuse to sign anything but a long term offer over $10M? Smart didn't even have Randle's numbers and that's what he held out for. Randle could wait until August, then agree to play under the QO for one year.

The Pelicans weren't looking to give up assets, or a multiyear deal for a player who didn't draw a single offer in restricted free agency, especially w/ the Pels facing a possible rebuild. Not sure how any s&t featuring Rondo would work...never seen a s&t with team options for the second and third year. We didn't want to commit to Rondo at a high price.

Quote:
We should have had ice in our veins and did to him what the Nets did with DLo/Mintz in conducting a S&t to at least bring some assets back and not lose the 2014 7th overall pick for nothing.

DLo had to agree to that, but it was definitely in his interest as no other team with capspace was offering what the Warriors were. Very fortunate for the Nets that the player they were getting was from a cap-strapped team who were highly motivated to acquire Russell, even for a slight overpay. Had there been another team able/willing to pay the same, and had DLo preferred them to GS, there's nothing Brooklyn could do but let him go.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

I doubt that many care about Kawhi’s longevity, he is in LA to win now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

m
Longevity will matter. He’s up as a FA in 2 summers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Unless not having a guy like Brogdon is their downfall in the playoffs.

Middleton is putting up some pretty damn impressive numbers for a "non-superstar."

Playoffs have nothing to do with EOY. Rob’s biggest strength was saying sure David, whatever you want. I am glad he stuck with KCP and Caruso, those moves balance out the poor decision to stick with Rondo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

m

They only care about the next two Junes. Same with the Lakers. You are mistaken if you think that Kawhi/PG were a long term move.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kawhi is a monster.

m

They only care about the next two Junes. Same with the Lakers. You are mistaken if you think that Kawhi/PG were a long term move.

I agree with you in that, both teams have bet everything for the next two-three years. Win at least 1 championship. After that both will need to rebuild with only the FA as they traded or swapped their future picks, specially the Clippers.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

LD01: Yeah, you can’t conduct a S&t with options (player or team) unless there’s a 3 year deal at the minimum, not including those options. However you can make the 1st year fully guaranteed followed by either partially or non-guaranteed years making up the remainder of the 3yr deal. Jules opted out anyways to go get that Knicks bag, while if you look at Rondo, he most likely stays on at 3 years with us by picking up his option this coming year.

As for signing the QO...that’s exactly it. Force him to sign it and if he doesn’t, he remains a restricted free agent the following summer. I understand there’s a built in NTC with a 1yr QO, but at the very least you can still shop him and not lose him for anything in return. We gifted him unrestricted free agency by renouncing him as a RFA and got nothing in return to show for it. That’s poor asset management and just shows how much we lack in reading the market as of late (ie whiffed on 2019 free agency as well).

As for shopping Jules before he became a RFA, we should have did it and at the very least gain some future 2nds out of it. If you can’t make a deal at the 2018 trade deadline, then take his RFA ass into the summer and try to move him like the Nets did with DLo in finding a team that needs to give Mintz/CAA a make good deal for Jules to give them access to other free agents/deals for CAA clients in the future.

Instead we lost an asset for nothing. Again, whether it’s Nagic at the helm or Rob, this FO has repeatedly shown that we’re terrible at asset management and reading the market through back channels, which I thought Rob was supposed to be good at in being a distinguished player agent.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LD01: Yeah, you can’t conduct a S&t with options (player or team) unless there’s a 3 year deal at the minimum, not including those options. However you can make the 1st year fully guaranteed followed by either partially or non-guaranteed years making up the remainder of the 3yr deal. Jules opted out anyways to go get that Knicks bag, while if you look at Rondo, he most likely stays on at 3 years with us by picking up his option this coming year.

As for signing the QO...that’s exactly it. Force him to sign it and if he doesn’t, he remains a restricted free agent the following summer. I understand there’s a built in NTC with a 1yr QO, but at the very least you can still shop him and not lose him for anything in return. We gifted him unrestricted free agency by renouncing him as a RFA and got nothing in return to show for it. That’s poor asset management and just shows how much we lack in reading the market as of late (ie whiffed on 2019 free agency as well).

As for shopping Jules before he became a RFA, we should have did it and at the very least gain some future 2nds out of it. If you can’t make a deal at the 2018 trade deadline, then take his RFA ass into the summer and try to move him like the Nets did with DLo in finding a team that needs to give Mintz/CAA a make good deal for Jules to give them access to other free agents/deals for CAA clients in the future.

Instead we lost an asset for nothing. Again, whether it’s Nagic at the helm or Rob, this FO has repeatedly shown that we’re terrible at asset management and reading the market through back channels, which I thought Rob was supposed to be good at in being a distinguished player agent.

Not sure if I believe in karma, but had we forced Randle into signing the QO (his other options are unrealistic), not only is $12M of our cap tied up that summer, but that #4 pick could've been #12 with just two more wins.

Randle wouldn't fit with LeBron, but having him when LeBron was out wins us at least a couple more games. At the deadline, New Orleans couldn't get anything for him, despite his impressive season, so we wouldn't have either.

Looking at it from Jules' standpoint, if the Lakers don't release him and New Orleans uses their MLE on another player, his only remaining option is to hold out until the last possible moment, sign the QO, and play a year (Smart was doing this until Ainge paid him).

Playing under the QO costs Jules about $3M in salary for that season, and the chance to have that second year of guaranteed money in case of injury. Not something a former agent would do just for the chance at mayyyybe acquiring a 2nd round pick. Hell, just tying up $12M in capspace during 2018 free agency makes it penny-wise and pound foolish. And even if Rondo's 2019 season were only partially guaranteed, it would still count against our capspace.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

LD01: the 12.4m caphold was due to starter status. But once he signed the QO, his 1 yr deal would only be 5.6m. And again, if he doesn’t honor the QO, he remains a restricted free agent again the following summer. The only way he becomes an unrestricted free agent is by signing the QO and playing it out for the 2018/19 season...or what we did in gifting him UFA status a year early by renouncing his rights and opening up that 12.4m caphold.

The downside of the QO was that he had a built in NTC to block any trade and even if he agreed to a trade, the 2019 summer had so many teams with cap space that they didn’t need Jules’s bird rights to give him a hefty bag ( sub intended cause he and Mintz is trash haha).

Still my underlying theme is that we tend to just throw away assets that have taken us years to collect in the name of cap space for free agency, that then goes unrealized...and again cap space that has taken years and wasted assets to accumulate.

Still not a fan of our past summer at all. Essentially 2yrs of hoarded cap and lost assets for Green, Boog, Cook, Kcp and McGee (of which the latter two we had some form of bird rights to and didn’t need cap space to have resigned at those numbers).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 115 of 243
Jump to: