Would LeBron Take a Pay Cut for Giannis? LA's Superteam Dream Might Require It

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Would LeBron Take a Pay Cut for Giannis? LA's Superteam Dream Might Require It

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport Would LeBron Take a Pay Cut for Giannis? LA's Superteam Dream Might Require It
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2877188-would-lebron-take-a-pay-cut-for-giannis-las-superteam-dream-might-require-it

Cheers,

EP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I think LeBron would take a pay cut to get Giannis. My question is, would Giannas want to play on a team that might not be HIS.

Antetokounmpo doesn't work out with other NBA stars. He said he doesn't 'buddy-buddy' with his opponents.

Giannis said it would be great to play with his brothers and his mother would love it. Milwaukee has a leg up with Thanasis Antetokounmpo already on their roster. The Lakers are in that mix, they have Kostas Antetokounmpo signed.

So, I think LBJ would take a cut but would Giannis want to come to Los Angeles?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I think LeBron would take a pay cut to get Giannis. My question is, would Giannas want to play on a team that might not be HIS.

Antetokounmpo doesn't work out with other NBA stars. He said he doesn't 'buddy-buddy' with his opponents.

Giannis said it would be great to play with his brothers and his mother would love it. Milwaukee has a leg up with Thanasis Antetokounmpo already on their roster. The Lakers are in that mix, they have Kostas Antetokounmpo signed.

That's a good question. However I'm just glad we are in the conversation at this point.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I think that's the key question. Assuming that the Bucks are still good, I'd be surprised if he left, especially if they haven't won a title. Of all the young players, Giannis seems most Kobe-like, to me, in terms of his attitude and work ethic. I think he'd like to have the same impact on the league and a city.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lakers needs the brother who lives here to "sell" how life in So. Cal. beats life in Milwaukee to his other two brothers...

and that's a fact Jack...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

I was hoping that this story would be your next Laker Film Room segment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's a good question. However I'm just glad we are in the conversation at this point.

Well we are the ones creating the conversation so of course we are going to be in it. According to us we were in the Kawhi conversation even though we weren’t according to Kawhi.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Well we are the ones creating the conversation so of course we are going to be in it. According to us we were in the Kawhi conversation even though we weren’t according to Kawhi.

We weren't in the Kawhi conversation? And yet he had a meeting set up with Jeannie during free agency and later asked us to hold of free agent signings until he made his decision.

Typical troll post from the resident clipper stan / fake laker fan.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We weren't in the Kawhi conversation? And yet he had a meeting set up with Jeannie during free agency and later asked us to hold of free agent signings until he made his decision.

He was buying time getting the Clippers to trade for PG
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
twisted wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He was buying time getting the Clippers to trade for PG

Ok please post a link where Kawhi said that because here is Kawhi's response saying he did not mislead to buy time, which exactly the opposite of what you are saying:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kawhi-leonard-chose-clippers-022230152.html

Also regardless if he mislead the Lakers or not, it does not disprove that we were in the thick of the Kawhi talk, and not just a product of some Laker fandom delusion as your condescending troll post infers.

Try better clipper troll. Lol
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject:

If the trade for PG13 had fallen through he would have signed with the Lakers. By that definition we were definitely in the conversation. The Clippers basically mortgaged their future to land him. Which is fine. We have to see if it pans out.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject:

We have 34m and once we whiffed on Kawhi, we could have conducted a 3way AD trade that replaces the Wiz with Okc.

Bron gets both his boys with AD & Cp3 (or Russ basically killing the Htown deal for him) and that squad has a trinity ready to win-now with Bron still in his prime.

Instead they aren’t interested in deals that go beyond 2 years so that they can get to 2021 and tell Bron, yo bruh you need to opt out of your 41m for Giannis. And no hard feelings about going all in around you 2 years ago. Now get your dusty ass off the squad...but wait, before you do...thx again for AD. The (bleep) you pulled to get him here was klutch.

Sounds like a great plan haha.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Bucks would have to lose in the ECF (or fall even shorter) over the next two years for Giannis to even consider joining up with Lebron/AD.

He's not gonna lose to us in the Finals, or (more likely) beat us...and then join us a year or two later.

Even considering that, the bigger obstacle is still Lebron giving up 60 million. No effing way. Even if he wins 2-3 more rings, it'll come with the "superteam/he needed so much help" caveat. His legacy is basically set at this point, so might as well take the money.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Also, why doens't anyone suggest AD take a paycut? He's the one that needs a running mate over the next decade. Lebron has already taken discounts in his career (and at his peak) to play with other stars. Lebron also provides far more value than AD right now (both in productivity and attracting butts/eyeballs). Let AD take the discount (or at least split it with Lebron) and make it up later.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Also, why doens't anyone suggest AD take a paycut? He's the one that needs a running mate over the next decade. Lebron has already taken discounts in his career (and at his peak) to play with other stars. Lebron also provides far more value than AD right now (both in productivity and attracting butts/eyeballs). Let AD take the discount (or at least split it with Lebron) and make it up later.

You bring up a good point bro.

There is precedent in having his trade kicker waived (4.1m) to get that much more for Kawhi. I mean there were other ways like getting off #4 caphold (7.1m) by trading it for future picks ($0 cap hit for 2019) or to sign the #4 pick and trade him as salary 1 month later (which could have potentially spared either Zo or BI from the deal as necessary salary to match AD’s deal).

Either way, I digress, but AD has shown a willingness to shave salary to construct a super team. Dude can sign a 1+1 this summer, opt out in 2021 to help make room (with or without Bron opting out for additional cap) and then re-up to a lesser 1 yr deal so that in 2022 he can go for the entire 35% max with the full bird rights he holds.

To me, it seems more realistic to go that route rather than Bron taking a paycut and potentially having the over-38 rule impact any new deal he would sign on 2021.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

You bring up a good point bro.

There is precedent in having his trade kicker waived (4.1m) to get that much more for Kawhi. I mean there were other ways like getting off #4 caphold (7.1m) by trading it for future picks ($0 cap hit for 2019) or to sign the #4 pick and trade him as salary 1 month later (which could have potentially spared either Zo or BI from the deal as necessary salary to match AD’s deal).

Either way, I digress, but AD has shown a willingness to shave salary to construct a super team. Dude can sign a 1+1 this summer, opt out in 2021 to help make room (with or without Bron opting out for additional cap) and then re-up to a lesser 1 yr deal so that in 2022 he can go for the entire 35% max with the full bird rights he holds.

To me, it seems more realistic to go that route rather than Bron taking a paycut and potentially having the over-38 rule impact any new deal he would sign on 2021.

Yeah and from Lebron's perspective, AD has made far more NBA salary than Lebron did at a similar point in his career, and will be able to earn even more. There's no reason Lebron should have to sacrifice again on what could be his last big payday while AD keeps racking up max salaries (that frankly, I'm not entirely sure he deserves).
jack13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Pipe dream
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Don’t see Giannis going anywhere unless his team implodes. He really likes Milwaukee.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

If the Bucks do not get to the NBA Finals, Giannis is going to go re-think Milwaukee
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I failed to see how Giannis can fit with LBJ. I don't think they are both at their best off the ball. 1 + 1 < 2, sounds like a bad idea for me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: