FIFA Women's World Cup 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Jill Ellis steps down. This is not a surprise, except that I thought she might hang around for the Olympics.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3909177/uswnts-ellis-stepping-down-after-victory-tour
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I coached by daughter's rec team until she moved up to comp, where she played until U16.

Never did I see a any girl at any age that was as good as was Lavelle at 11.

I didn't see this type of juggling stuff at the World Cup by her. What a slacker.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

In my seat. Beer in hand. Let’s go ladies. Let’s kick some Irish ass.
(Rose is looking great in warmups ribeye)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Just came on to remind anyone who might be a bit bored, turn to ESPN 2

DMR, looks like a perfect evening. Enjoy.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

I’m tired of watching the men disappoint over and over again. They were owned by Mexico again. Felt like it was 1998. I wish we would see more progress. Can’t believe I was still watching players like Bradley and Zardes out there.

It’s one reason I started watching the women. They can actually win something.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Just came on to remind anyone who might be a bit bored, turn to ESPN 2

DMR, looks like a perfect evening. Enjoy.

It was indeed an wonderful evening. I could have done with more minutes for Rose, but the atmosphere and crowd were perfection.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Regardless of my opinion on the case, I do wonder with mediation failing, and Rapinoe claiming the women will settle for nothing less that the same pay as the males if they are backing themselves into a corner and missing out on a good deal while seeking a perfect deal.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Regardless of my opinion on the case, I do wonder with mediation failing, and Rapinoe claiming the women will settle for nothing less that the same pay as the males if they are backing themselves into a corner and missing out on a good deal while seeking a perfect deal.

According to the USWST, the US Soccer Federation “refused to even make an offer of equality.” So, if this is correct, then this is more like the perfect being the enemy of nothing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Possibly. However, I would take all of the spin doctoring with a grain of salt. Actually, I would take it with the whole freaking salt shaker. This is a PR contest with both sides spinning the facts. Here is what the USSF said:

Quote:
U.S. Soccer said in a statement: "We have said numerous times that our goal is to find a resolution, and during mediation we had hoped we would be able to address the issues in a respectful manner and reach an agreement. Unfortunately, instead of allowing mediation to proceed in a considerate manner, plaintiffs' counsel took an aggressive and ultimately unproductive approach that follows months of presenting misleading information to the public in an effort to perpetuate confusion.

"We always know there is more we can do. We value our players and have continually shown that, by providing them with compensation and support that exceeds any other women's team in the world. Despite inflammatory statements from their spokesperson, which are intended to paint our actions inaccurately and unfairly, we are undaunted in our efforts to continue discussions in good faith."

Frankly, neither side has much credibility in my eyes. I know that many of the things that the USWNT and its reps have said about the numbers are misleading if not outright false. I also know that the USSF has been reluctant to engage on the issues and has been inexplicably resistant to some of the non-financial reforms.

As for Rapinoe's comment, this is just a slogan. The women do not want equality. If the USSF offered them the exact same terms that are contained in the CBA for the USMNT, they would say no. The women want all of the security benefits under their CBA plus the individual rates of pay in the men's CBA.

I listen to a lot of the soccer media shows while in the car. Over the last few months, it has been interesting to hear the change of tone from the pundits. At first, the general tone was "Rah rah rah, equal pay, rah rah rah!" Then it was "Well, maybe this is more complicated than we thought, but it sounds like the women deserve more money." Now it is "We're not sure who is right about this. The two sides really need to work this out."

As an aside, one of the best bits of comedy came a couple weeks ago when some guy called into Counter Attack and suggested that we should have a "Battle of the Sexes" game between the USWNT and USMNT. The guy was drunk on all of the hype about how great the USWNT is, and he actually said "Soccer really isn't a physical game anyway." To say the least, Brian Dunseth just about gave birth to kittens on live radio.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
he actually said "Soccer really isn't a physical game anyway."

maybe he meant soccer on Playstation?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

Watch Carli Lloyd Kick A 55-Yard Field Goal At An NFL Practice
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Watch Carli Lloyd Kick A 55-Yard Field Goal At An NFL Practice

I was just going to post that!!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

US v Sweden on FS1 in about 12 minutes
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

US v England highlights:

Pretty darn cool. If nothing else, check out the goal by Press at about 4:30. That thing looked more like a boomerang than a soccer ball. Of course, there has to be a great highlight for Lavelle--but this time it's on defense at about 6:20.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
US v England highlights:

Pretty darn cool. If nothing else, check out the goal by Press at about 4:30. That thing looked more like a boomerang than a soccer ball.

Bend it like Christen!

Quote:
Of course, there has to be a great highlight for Lavelle--but this time it's on defense at about 6:20.

My favorite as you know!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
US v England highlights:

Pretty darn cool. If nothing else, check out the goal by Press at about 4:30. That thing looked more like a boomerang than a soccer ball. Of course, there has to be a great highlight for Lavelle--but this time it's on defense at about 6:20.

Press played very well during Olympic qualifying. She's spent her national team career on the borderline between starting and the bench. This seems to be her time. We need her to keep going, because our front line is aging and, frankly, overrated. Our strength is in the midfield and the back line. That's fine, but if the forwards aren't producing goals, we're vulnerable to another upset from a team that parks the bus and doesn't engage the midfielders.

If Press can stay hot, we may be okay for the Olympics. But when the next World Cup arrives in three years, our whole front line (including Press) will be past their sell-by date. Offhand, I can't think of a forward under the age of 30 who has gotten much playing time. Lynne Williams, I guess. We've had a long list of good to great forwards, going all the way back to Akers. We're going to need to get some younger players groomed.

As for the goal, what strikes me is how the England defense pretty much teed up the shot for her. One of the center backs should have been marking her. The key to the shot wasn't the bend, but rather that she got it over the keeper but under the bar. The keeper likely had it covered if it had been chest high. I thought it was interesting that she went for that shot. Lloyd would have driven into the box and gone for a power shot. Press would have needed to use her left foot in that scenario, and she may be right foot dominant.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:
US v England highlights:

Press played very well during Olympic qualifying. She's spent her national team career on the borderline between starting and the bench. This seems to be her time. We need her to keep going, because our front line is aging and, frankly, overrated. Our strength is in the midfield and the back line. That's fine, but if the forwards aren't producing goals, we're vulnerable to another upset from a team that parks the bus and doesn't engage the midfielders.

If Press can stay hot, we may be okay for the Olympics. But when the next World Cup arrives in three years, our whole front line (including Press) will be past their sell-by date. Offhand, I can't think of a forward under the age of 30 who has gotten much playing time. Lynne Williams, I guess. We've had a long list of good to great forwards, going all the way back to Akers. We're going to need to get some younger players groomed.

As for the goal, what strikes me is how the England defense pretty much teed up the shot for her. One of the center backs should have been marking her. The key to the shot wasn't the bend, but rather that she got it over the keeper but under the bar. The keeper likely had it covered if it had been chest high. I thought it was interesting that she went for that shot. Lloyd would have driven into the box and gone for a power shot. Press would have needed to use her left foot in that scenario, and she may be right foot dominant.

It seemed to me that the goalie overplayed the shot, laying herself out, and as it bent back, was unable to correct, due to her horizontal commitment, for the height of the ball, which was well under the bar.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

I can see that, but I don't know that the keeper had any choice. Press just put the ball in a perfect spot. The horizontal bend likely affected the keeper's ability to read the shot, but even then, the keeper really had no choice other than to launch herself to her left and hope that she could get to the ball. Bravo, Press.

By the way, I'm glad I didn't watch that game live. I can't stand Max Bretos. He manages to come off as bombastic and fake at the same time. Back in the FSC days, I would sometimes turn off the volume when he was doing the play by play for a game.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I can see that, but I don't know that the keeper had any choice. Press just put the ball in a perfect spot. The horizontal bend likely affected the keeper's ability to read the shot, but even then, the keeper really had no choice other than to launch herself to her left and hope that she could get to the ball. Bravo, Press.

By the way, I'm glad I didn't watch that game live. I can't stand Max Bretos. He manages to come off as bombastic and fake at the same time. Back in the FSC days, I would sometimes turn off the volume when he was doing the play by play for a game.
But the bend was pretty darn gorgeous.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Whew. Nice free kick by Press and nice run by Ertz. I was worried that my comments about our front line were going to be unintentionally prophetic.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Whew. Nice free kick by Press and nice run by Ertz. I was worried that my comments about our front line were going to be unintentionally prophetic.

I didn't see anything until around the 55-minute mark (whenever the Laker game ended), but Spain definitely had the possession advantage from the point I started watching. (Not sure if it was like that in the first half.) They never really fashioned an amazing scoring chance, however, so it's not like we got played off the pitch and were lucky to win. Still, Spain looked like they belonged out there, at least the 40 minutes or so that I watched.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Now that the traditional footballing nations are getting interesting in the women's game, it's going to get a lot tougher. Spain is a good example. They used to be Exhibit A for how Euro nations had no respect for the women's game. They had the same head coach for 27 years. Really. He had about a .500 record over those 27 years. Really. He finally got the team to the World Cup in 2015, where they got bounced in the group stage. At that point, the team rebelled and called for him to be fired. They finally got a new coach.

But that was only part of the problem -- the Spanish federation had no interest in the women's game. I wish I could remember some of the stories I heard over the years. I just remember being shocked by how dismissive they were when it came to the women's game.

Now Spain is finally getting serious about the women's game. The federation is spending money. About half the team plays for Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. Real Madrid is adding a women's team next year. This doesn't mean that we won't still beat them, but the landscape is changing with remarkable speed. Spain is just one example of many.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Now that the traditional footballing nations are getting interesting in the women's game, it's going to get a lot tougher. Spain is a good example. They used to be Exhibit A for how Euro nations had no respect for the women's game. They had the same head coach for 27 years. Really. He had about a .500 record over those 27 years. Really. He finally got the team to the World Cup in 2015, where they got bounced in the group stage. At that point, the team rebelled and called for him to be fired. They finally got a new coach.

But that was only part of the problem -- the Spanish federation had no interest in the women's game. I wish I could remember some of the stories I heard over the years. I just remember being shocked by how dismissive they were when it came to the women's game.

Now Spain is finally getting serious about the women's game. The federation is spending money. About half the team plays for Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. Real Madrid is adding a women's team next year. This doesn't mean that we won't still beat them, but the landscape is changing with remarkable speed. Spain is just one example of many.

Good. Fantastic for the game. I love to watch women's soccer at the international level, and of course, the U.S. in particular. I'd much rather watch a USA women's soccer match than men's college basketball, which is a genuinely awful product.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: