Rental Car: LA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Rental Car: LA

So I'm back in LA next week for a funeral in my family. I'm flying in solo and was checking rental car prices.

Saw a 4 day rental from ALAMO for $15/day for a Hyundai Elantra or Corolla.

Booked it. But how is this even possible to be that cheap? AM I missing something?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

yinoma2001 wrote:
So I'm back in LA next week for a funeral in my family. I'm flying in solo and was checking rental car prices.

Booked it. But how is this even possible to be that cheap? AM I missing something?

You are flying to Los Angeles (LA)
and renting a car in Louisiana (LA)?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm flying into Los Angeles (live in the East Coast now). Renting a car for about 4 days.

$15/day is the quote I booked.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm flying into Los Angeles (live in the East Coast now). Renting a car for about 4 days.

From LAX Alamo? What was the total after taxes & fees?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

From LAX Alamo? What was the total after taxes & fees?

With taxes and fees it's $85 total for 4 days. I booked it via my Southwest App.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about the loss yinomes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

yinoma2001 wrote:

Alamo is generally a cheaper agency. They don't offer quick "pick a car and go" type service. Their cars have more miles. The days you are renting aren't in high demand.

You aren't renting during Thanksgiving are you?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

vanexelent wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Alamo is generally a cheaper agency. They don't offer quick "pick a car and go" type service. Their cars have more miles. The days you are renting aren't in high demand.

Coming back for a funeral (was in LA a month ago for my brother's wedding). Am renting Monday and leaving Black Friday.

I usually use those cheapo rentals. Last time ended up with Dollar (I think) and got a 2017 KIA Sedano as a free upgrade. Total was $40/day. I think rental cars are hurting due to Uber/Lyft.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Weekly rentals from alamo/budget/avis/enterprise are usually about $145-160 (including taxes + fees), so at $21/day that sounds right. But what's odd is that you were able to get that rate during thanksgiving week and if you got to rent and return from LAX at that price, that makes it outrageous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Seriously. I’m in shock still.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Seriously. I’m in shock still.

At $15/day I should sell my car and rent from Alamo indefinitely.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rental Car: LA

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Coming back for a funeral (was in LA a month ago for my brother's wedding). Am renting Monday and leaving Black Friday.

I usually use those cheapo rentals. Last time ended up with Dollar (I think) and got a 2017 KIA Sedano as a free upgrade. Total was $40/day. I think rental cars are hurting due to Uber/Lyft.

Depends on the city. If you rent out of Denver airport you're paying a crap load still.

By the way, I loath the rental car lots at LAX. The buses are difficult to locate and the waiting islands are narrow. Then it's like at 15 minute bus ride.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

As a frequent renter of cars all across the country, I find myself wary of outlier low rates. I've had too many experiences where there is a reason the rates are so much lower than the competition. Cases where you have to wait in line at the rental counter and the line takes an hour to get through because there are hordes of other people who also want the super cheap cars. Those people tend to not be frequent renters, and then complain about requiring a hold on their credit card for hundreds of dollars, etc.

I have to say, National Rent a Car has won me over as a loyal customer wherever I travel because of their "Emerald Club", which lets you bypass the lines, pick out any car that YOU want, and pay at the gate. I love picking out makes and models of cars that I haven't driven before. I don't work for and have no interest in National, just a fan of how pleasant their processes are compared to others.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
As a frequent renter of cars all across the country, I find myself wary of outlier low rates. I've had too many experiences where there is a reason the rates are so much lower than the competition. Cases where you have to wait in line at the rental counter and the line takes an hour to get through because there are hordes of other people who also want the super cheap cars. Those people tend to not be frequent renters, and then complain about requiring a hold on their credit card for hundreds of dollars, etc.

I have to say, National Rent a Car has won me over as a loyal customer wherever I travel because of their "Emerald Club", which lets you bypass the lines, pick out any car that YOU want, and pay at the gate. I love picking out makes and models of cars that I haven't driven before. I don't work for and have no interest in National, just a fan of how pleasant their processes are compared to others.

Made the mistake of going with a low rate on a trip Denver. Spent almost two hours in line at Dollar for the reasons you mentioned. I tried going to another company that had no line, but they were booked up.

I'm an Enterprise guy myself. I've had nothing but good experiences over the last 3 years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Made the mistake of going with a low rate on a trip Denver. Spent almost two hours in line at Dollar for the reasons you mentioned. I tried going to another company that had no line, but they were booked up.

I'm an Enterprise guy myself. I've had nothing but good experiences over the last 3 years.

Perhaps not a surprise they are both part of the same company despite the different ways of handling the rental car experience.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Perhaps not a surprise they are both part of the same company despite the different ways of handling the rental car experience.

Found that out last time I returned a car. I pulled into the wrong section at the returns and it was National. The guy said, "It's cool . . . we're all the same company anyway".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

I linked my Avis rentals to my Amazon account and get credit ($4-9) for each rental. I have accumulated around $55 in a month.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: